Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186059 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4650 on: January 28, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
Is anyone watching Avenue 5? Who is this show aimed at?

There's some very good talent here but it feels like they want to make a comedy about the situation, and then stuff it fully with The Office-type characters, rather than be like Stargate Universe, and even Lost, which past the pilot was saying "we need to get more food and water" and focus on the basics.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: January 31, 2020, 07:05:15 AM »
The Good Place wrapped up tonight.

Damn, that was a good ride.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: February 01, 2020, 08:20:52 PM »
Well, now that I know it was good, and it's all wrapped up (on its own terms I assume?) I can now schedule it for a binge-ing šŸ§
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:42:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: February 01, 2020, 10:13:33 PM »
First three seasons are on Netflix. It's pretty good.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: February 02, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
The Good Place is one of the best comedies ever. Very sharp writing. I didnā€™t love the shipping between two particular characters, but I think it was planned. Definitely handled better than when fans are like ā€œNOW KISS!ā€ while pushing the characters faces together then the writers shrug their shoulders and decide, ā€œSure. Okay. fine.ā€

Anyway...

Dracula (BBC/Netflix)

Weird. Just a weird take on the story. Van Helsing is definitely the best character. A nice, unique take on the character. The actor slips in and out of the Dutch accent.

Thereā€™s a moment toward the beginning of the last episode that was really bizarre. It was as if Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss had this wonderful twist at the end of the second episode then didnā€™t know how to pay it off without narratively cheating. My understanding is thatā€™s one of the major marks against Moffatā€™s other show, Sherlock (the one starting Butternut Crinkle Fries). And the ending felt rushed.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: February 02, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
By shipping the two characters, I assume you mean J&J?  Because I loved it.  Total opposites in every way, but they really clicked together and the way they dealt with her character growth through her relationship was amazing.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: February 08, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
I just finished The Good Place.

I don't remember when I started it... (certainly after it was mentioned 1 week ago) but I just finished it.
I thought it was great. as I obviously somewhere found time to binge this whole series in less than a week... all 3 seasons of it.... and i think this was my busiest work week since Nov.... not sure how I did it, but I'd do it again... if there were 3 more seasons. LOL

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: February 09, 2020, 02:30:31 AM »
There are 4 seasons though.....
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: February 09, 2020, 01:05:32 PM »
Oh... is there 4 seasons?I was binge watching on Netflix...the good plave

does it air on TV? do I need to look up episodes that aren't on TV? it just seemed like such a natural end point to leave an open ending (even though I would love to know how the experiment went).... Now I will go look up a S4. That gives me something else to watch this week :D

fake edit: OMG there is a FOURTH season!!! with 13 episodes.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: February 11, 2020, 01:37:32 AM »
My wife once called me an emotionless robot.

I cried during the series finale.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: February 12, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »
I have had multiple people including my wife insist that I would love Good Place, but every time I sat in on one of her viewings I just never felt compelled to continue. I also called the "big twist" when sitting in with her the first time (it was a joke comment but a co-worker confirmed the next day I was right on the money). Now that it is done maybe I will give it another go once I can stream it all on Netflix or something.

Wife and I are currently watching Brooklyn 9-9 and it is rather funny. Its been a while since I've sat down and enjoyed a good comedy series that is not Parks & Rec. Office left such a bad taste in my mouth it just really turned me off of any other comedy series.

Recently finished mounting our new TV for the downstairs (read: my study/entertainment room) and decided to watch the first episode of The Mandalorian again. Now I'm rewatching that because I still really, really enjoy it. Probably the best bit of Star Wars out there since Clone Wars was cancelled.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:32:27 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline relicgear92

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: February 14, 2020, 02:48:58 AM »

I just finished the series and it was really satisfying. The team cockroach gets the peace that they deserve at the end. I like how Eleanor becomes this piece of conscience to someone  which suits her character growth because she was always the one to push the team to try out their plans.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: February 19, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »

I just finished the series and it was really satisfying. The team cockroach gets the peace that they deserve at the end. I like how Eleanor becomes this piece of conscience to someone  which suits her character growth because she was always the one to push the team to try out their plans.

I finally finished this too, and I like how they were able to give a very satisfying ending and everyone had a growth arc that came to a conclusion. I just wished I finished the 4th season during my focused binge of the first 3 seasons so I could take it all in at once, instead of the stretched out viewings I had to do of the 4th season.

I also just noticed that the user ratings (applaud/smite) are active again.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: February 20, 2020, 12:13:06 AM »

Oh dear. Welcome to two years ago......

Maybe that explains your score. File not found.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: February 20, 2020, 01:04:18 AM »

Oh dear. Welcome to two years ago......

Maybe that explains your score. File not found.
LOL

I'm my defense, they've been broken image icons for the longest time, so I had no idea what they were, and no longer paid any attention to them.

I noticed about a week ago that they were links now, so I finally hovered my mouse over it to see where it went, and that's when I realized it was applaud/smite buttons.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: February 20, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »
Legends of Tomorrow: A headless Marie Antoinette with a flamethrower running around loose on the Waverider.

Never change.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: February 20, 2020, 09:06:46 PM »
Just checked out the Love, Death + Robots anthology of short animation pieces on Netflix. Like most sci-fi anthologies (books or short films) the quality from piece to piece was mixed, but overall there were a lot of good moments and the weak moments are easy to forget and move past.

Easy to recommend, although not everyone will enjoy the whole series as much as I did.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: February 28, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
"I Am NOT Okay With This" on Netflix.

I would say if you are looking for something entertaining, like shows based off graphic novels, and generally like to be entertained.... you can't go wrong here. The only fault in this show is that it's too short and a second season is needed STAT.

It's a High School teen coming of age drama like show with a comic twist. Characters are all great, actors playing them did a great job, and honestly, each episode almost felt too short and the whole season 1 definitely felt too short, but that's kinda a good thing as it definitely left me wanting more... immediately.

I think Netflix nailed it here. I may have to go look up the book so I can skip ahead and not wait to see what goes down next season. LOL

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: March 16, 2020, 03:06:17 AM »
Lost in Space on Netflix (new version)

Thanks to rain and Covid, it was an in the house marathon session weekend (my daughter did not want to go anywhere.... unless it was to Wendys for Breakfast or lunch), so we managed to wrap up last few episodes of S1 and all of S2 this weekend. I gotta say, it's always something with these Robinsons.... but damn is this an enjoyable show. Some touching moments that make you edge that emotional area, and some intense action scenes where you're just not sure how things are gonna play out. Regardless of what you were expecting though, this was one good ride so far. All the characters grow on you, including the ever antagonizing Dr. Smith, so I'm glad that there is apparently one more season on the way. The upcoming S3 (in 2021) may be the final season, but at least they know this ahead of time, so it better get a good and touching series finale that's on par or better than the S2 season finale.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: March 16, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
Kinda grinds my gears that Netflix ends series after 2-3 seasons. While I am happy it is know ahead of time and they can plan accordingly, a show like this could have gone on for another 2-3 seasons just fine. I know they have a "bottom line" and that after the 3rd season they don't see a "payoff" in subscriber numbers/retention, but if all they have are a bunch of short shows then there will be no lasting legacy for them. Maybe they don't feel the need for that, but its still a downer, and makes me wonder if they will do the same thing to Witcher in time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: March 16, 2020, 09:09:39 PM »
I'm Not Okay With This might last longer. As Stranger things starts to fizzle out they're going to need replacements. Netflix has only been making original tv series worth watching since 2013. They'll eventually be better at keeping things going and keeping content constant. or not.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:54:33 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:45:26 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: March 22, 2020, 05:46:56 PM »
.....so it's not worth a $20 rental nor the time to actually watch it?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: March 22, 2020, 07:12:00 PM »
.....so it's not worth a $20 rental nor the time to actually watch it?
No movie is worth a $20 rental.

If you want something to play in the background, you could do worse. It also doesnā€™t lean into the R rating as much as it should. A couple bad-language words, some violence but it felt tame. Iā€™m not really sure who the audience for this was supposed to be.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: March 22, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »
I hear the Invisible Man is pretty good.
and if you aren't alone in watching these rentals, I have to ask... how much is a movie ticket where you live? and do you spend anything at the concession?

Ticket prices around here are anywhere from $10-16 per ticket depending on the day, time, and theater screen. Water, Soda, Popcorn, Candy or anything else at the concession stand is gonna run you another $8-$20

I'd say some movies in the theater at home can be very well more than worth the cost if you wanted to watch it now. I can spend $20 on a 48 hour rental, which means I can probably watch it twice, and from the comfort of my bed, or couch and without all the surrounding audience noise, or people walking by, and I can pause it if I need to use the bathroom or replenish my meal/snack/drinks.
but to each their own.