Author Topic: EA and Steven Spielberg Unveil Boom Blox  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
EA and Steven Spielberg Unveil Boom Blox
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:30:46 AM »
Previously known as "PQRS" and "Blocks," Steven Spielberg's "building and knocking down blocks" Wii game launches in May.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15236

EA AND STEVEN SPIELBERG REVEAL BOOM BLOX    

Throw, Grab, and Blast Your Way Through the Ultimate Wii Game

Chertsey, UK, February 6, 2008 – EA has announced that BOOM BLOX™, the first game developed in collaboration between EA and director and producer Steven Spielberg, is set for a May 2008 release for Nintendo Wii™. This high-energy game features more than 300 levels, a cast of more than thirty wacky characters, and an easy-to-use in-game editor that allows players to express their creativity.    

"I am a gamer myself, and I really wanted to create a video game that I could play with my kids," said Steven Spielberg. "BOOM BLOX features an enormous amount of fun challenges and cool scenarios for your kids to solve or for you to master together."    

Fun for kids and the entire family, BOOM BLOX offers action-packed interactive activities that takes Wii play to a new level of creativity and fun with single player, co-op, and versus gameplay. Players can experience the visceral gameplay - perfectly suited for the Wii’s interactive motion-sensitive controls - through brain-twisting challenges. They can interact with entertaining characters such as the block-laying chickens or baseball-throwing monkeys across four themed environments - Tiki, Medieval, Frontier, and Haunted. Additionally, players can remix any level of the game in Create Mode using props, blocks, or characters that have been unlocked during the game. Players can also virtually build anything they can dream up. Plus, their designs can then be shared with friends or used to challenge others to solve their newly created puzzle via WiiConnect24™.    

"We developed BOOM BLOX with endless combinations of gameplay in mind," explains Louis Castle, executive producer. "With over three hundred levels, built upon a full real-time physics model, your experience can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be - there really is something for everyone to enjoy."    

"My inspiration for this game came while I was playing the Wii for the first time," added Spielberg. "From the initial concept to what the game is today, it’s always been built around the innovations the Wii brings to playing games. BOOM BLOX plays on the enjoyment of building and knocking down blocks, something that can appeal innately to kids and adults of all ages."    

Developed at EA Los Angeles, BOOM BLOX has not yet been rated by the ESRB and PEGI. For more information or to download artwork, visit http://www.BOOMBLOX.ea.com.    

BOOM BLOX is also in production for mobile phones and will be widely available this Spring. The mobile version puts innovative BOOM BLOX gameplay on phones everywhere -- delivering engaging, fun, and groundbreaking action. For the first time in a mobile game, players will be able to create custom levels and share them with their friends directly from the phone, enjoying a rich, interactive community experience. For information regarding mobile phone carrier availability, visit http://www.eamobile.com.

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: EA and Steven Spielberg Unveil Boom Blox
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »
Work's almost over.  I need to get out of here.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
RE:EA and Steven Spielberg Unveil Boom Blox
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:15:51 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:28:15 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
This is disappointing.

I was hoping for something closer to a point and click adventure game from the great Steven himself...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:11 AM »

Originally posted by: NewsBot
Throw, Grab, and Blast Your Way Through the Ultimate Wii Game

YEAH!  Forget Smash Bros. Brawl, the ultimate Wii game is a game that's also on cell phones!  
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 07:39:19 AM »
I hate how people are trying to hedge in Steven Spielberg's creativity with preconceptions. From what I've read, Steven was so inspired by playing the Wii with Miyamoto that he wanted to create a real ground-up experience that he could play with his kids. He went back to a very basic element of fun from our childhood, stacking up blocks and tearing them down, and created a game that looks to be the ULTIMATE RUBE-GOLDBERG MACHINE out of it.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 08:13:32 AM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:28:08 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »
I like the look of this a lot better than the original "Blocks" announcement. Personality and messing around with physics both seem fun.

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
This is disappointing.

I was hoping for something closer to a point and click adventure game from the great Steven himself...

It'd be nice if that happened again.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
I was more of a Duplo kid myself. Much faster prototyping with Duplo.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 08:34:35 AM »
I read this headline and looked at the screens like four times before I realized this is the game Windy previewed back at E3.

I can't freaking wait.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
Hopefully this game is on par with Stephen Spielberg's best work - Animaniacs.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile