Author Topic: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball  (Read 10747 times)

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
Let us discuss the riveting <30 second trailer we saw tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JveyEU04fUA

I love this idea, mostly because it greatly resembles a series of maps I made for TF2 years ago. I've yet to play Splatoon but if servers stay reliable as people are reporting them to be, I think this is going to be a blast
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:09:33 PM by NWR_insanolord »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Blast Ball thread because there needs to be a Blast Ball thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:51:36 PM »
What was that old Robot sports game?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:38:48 AM »
This is a 3DS game, correct? Shouldn't we move it?

I am personally hoping for some interesting map/goal sizes, the initial gameplay was very nice but I could see myself growing bored quite quickly.

Nintendo has been pushing their shooter game lately.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:42:22 AM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
I wonder if this is an eShop game, or part of a bigger game? Or something else? It looked interesting enough.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
Part of the new Metroid game apparently.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:08:48 PM »
I'm definitely interested in this. Still waiting for a real Metroid game, but it looks like a neat shooter on the 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 07:22:07 PM »
... well, if it's going to be a metroid game, at least it won't feature samus bawling like a teenager again

at least i hope not

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
... well, if it's going to be a metroid game, at least it won't feature samus bawling like a teenager again

at least i hope not

Nah, only very sore Nintendo/Metroid fans are doing that, and making fools of themselves in the process. lol
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
I'm totally willing to give Federation Force a open-minded try because I think it's structure sounds like a great timesink. But I will be honest, I was expecting something more Metroid-y.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
Trailer:

TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:37 PM »
I am really interested in this game. It's not a "real" Metroid game, but it looks cool.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »
Agreed, I think I'll enjoy this as long as the missions are varied enough. It also needs a sense of progression though.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
Seems very underwhelming. The federation troops and enemies don't seem to fit the universe. Concept seems promising though.

Also Metroid fans are raging. It's hilarious.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:25:31 AM »
I don't dislike the actual game; I dislike that Nintendo thinks it can shoehorn Metroid into a decidedly not Metroid game for marketing purposes. It reminds me of Kirby's Epic Yarn, a game in which Kirby does not inhale enemies and transform for new abilities. I think that should have received a similar reception except everyone was so enamored by the art style that they all just ignored how not-Kirby it was. The whimsical art direction still fit the series. Federation Force's chibified characters don't fit Metroid at all. If Nintendo was going to do this, I wonder why it rejected Next Level Games' pitch with a radical art departure.

It's a shame because the game could be really good, and people may not give it a chance because it's such an insult to Metroid fans. I'm not even talking about myself. I'd play this depending on the multiplayer requirements. I just don't like that Metroid was slapped on here when Splatoon has showed that a new IP can work as long as it's a concept that resonates with people. You have to commit to it. Shoehorning an existing IP into an unrelated game misses more often than it hits.

I wonder what Nintendo will do moving forward. I think the internet rage is kind of funny, but it could be a hint of things to come. Nintendo could strip the game of the Metroid name and rework some things to make Federation Force its own IP. It could also rework the game to work more like a Metroid game.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »
What Federation Forces needs is a solid single player portion, something engaging enough to feel "Metroid Prime-like" without feeling like a soulless cash-in. If they try to appeal to the players that saw Echoes and the slaughter of those troopers as a harrowing experience, they have a better chance at selling this game. I mean, the multiplayer aspect has its own selling point,as does Blast Ball. But they need to appeal to the single player, isolationist mindset in order to truly capture the Metroid audience. Sometimes doing something different doesn't always help.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »
I could see Federation Forces being kind of like Halo 3: ODST. I think the team based gameplay can work and would help justify this game. Maybe you start on a mission with Samus (like the intro to Metroid Fusion) and you get separated somehow. Then, it's all about the team banding together to survive, find Samus, and complete the mission. It's important to make it feel like it's part of the Prime series even while trying to be something different. The art direction doesn't lend itself to that.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:30 PM »
I would think a singleplayer mode could work if it was like Left 4 Dead. You drop off, fight your way to the boss, kill him, fight your way to extraction. You have AI as teammates, but other players can join in during the middle of the game. Or just do it how Borderlands does it. You have enough examples of successful co-op experiences from last gen. Just take one and implement it well.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »
There is in prime 2 the group of federation forces who you find dead. I would love if they did a side campaign based on that.

They could also toy with the idea of a post fusion federation team trying to hunt down Samus and do a sort of sidestep continuation of the main story that way.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
I'm glad I care more about gameplay than the name on the box. Usually. ;)

This actually reminds me of Next Level's last game, Luigi's Mansion 2. When I first saw this game in action, I was disappointed that it took on a level-based structure as opposed to the exploration structure of the original game, especially since it had been 12 years since the first game. While I do still prefer the old structure, LM2 ended up being a pretty great game for what it is, with good level design, good action, and good secrets to find. What really surprised me however was the multiplayer mode. I never even imagined what a multiplayer mode would look like and how it could even work with Luigi's Mansion, but they did a good job designing it and it was surprisingly fun. It's now one of my most-played 3/DS games.

Now, I can understand the disappointment over the circumstances with Federation Force, and it's a little different than it was with LM2 since this is a spinoff. Still, as with LM2 I think this game could end up delivering something I didn't know I wanted with its co-op elements, even if things end up a little different from typical Metroid fare. Next Level's done it before, so I'm looking forward to seeing the final product upon release.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »
I'm glad I care more about gameplay than the name on the box. Usually. ;)

I care more about that too but that's a big reason why I really don't like this.  "Metroid" to me is the gameplay, not the name on the box.  Other M offended me not so much because the story was absolute garbage like most people complain about.  It was linear and power-ups were made available at arbitrary points in the story instead of from me the player discovering them.  To me it lacked the key elements of what made the Metroid series enjoyable to me and THAT was the unforgivable sin.  The game had a lot of other problems but that's why I hate it.  To me its connection to "Metroid" is entirely superficial.

This game will say "Metroid" on the box but it ISN'T Metroid, not in the way I see it.  And as Adrock has pointed out that's the real objection here.  I'm not interested in some handheld FPS with chibi-characters that I feel are designed that way to appeal to children anyway but if it wasn't called Metroid I would just say "eh, that does't really interest me".

I'm open-minded regarding the Metroid series in that I was very accepting of Metroid Prime despite a lot of concerns people had that it was going to end up a Doom clone.  Hey, the gameplay elements of Metroid I enjoy were still there so I loved it.  Metroid Fusion is also a little different with a lot more linearity and this unique method of absorbing viruses for power-ups and health.  Still had the key gameplay so it still worked.  As I said I felt Other M betrayed the key elements too much but I think it was a legit effort that just fucked it all up.  This?  This isn't even TRYING to offer that.  It's not a Metroid game trying out new ideas, it is an outright a different game with the Metroid name slapped on it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »
The difference here is that this game is a spin-off, not a mainline entry. It can be a lot more loose, and I'm okay with that. Other M was a mainline entry, so complaints about that game straying from the Metroid formula make more sense.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
Video Comparing it to the first Hunters

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 11:13:20 PM »
Gosh, I hope this has a decent single player campaign.

Offline Circasurviver

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »
Where is the rage over Mario Kart or Mario Party or Mario Tennis?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 08:08:39 PM »
Mario Kart is great.

Mario Tennis is  . . . great.

Mario Party is . . . not rage worthy.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.