Author Topic: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread  (Read 187727 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The COVID-19 Virus is Coming For Us All Thread
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
Looks like Texas is following FL's lead...
https://www.fox4news.com/news/texas-bars-ordered-to-close-restaurants-limited-to-50-capacity

It would be nice if some statewide mandatory mask and social distancing guidelines were being enforced. Maybe some very strict reopening guidelines too, so that businesses don't have to gear up for opening only to be shut down or scaled back again a few weeks later.

Just a suggestion though. 🤷🏿‍♂️
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:11:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 06, 2020, 09:35:45 PM »
So Rochester MN finally passed a mask mandate. It's about fucking time.

Considering that the Mayo Clinic owns more than half of downtown Rochester and the city's current set of elected officials are generally left leaning, I was assuming that this would happen alot sooner than it did.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2020, 12:45:53 PM »
Election season is coming up soon, so sadly a lot of officials may be trying to act in a way that they perceive will ensure they can be re-elected.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »
I got a friend.... swears Coronavirus is a "HOAX" because he only knows one person personally that has had it. He's mostly upset that "schools are gonna be going on, and my kids need to go to school!!!".

I reassure him, if they can't physically attend, they've had more than enough time to setup virtual classrooms. I'm assuming teachers may physically show up, but the classes will be done remotely. Kids will still get an education, and they can still be just as social, only almost exclusively online, almost how they prefer it anyway.

He goes on to vent that it's just like the flu..... no worse than the common flu....
I have to remind him that this kicked off mid March... 3.5 months ago. Over 133k Americans have DIED since then, from coronavirus or related complications from having contracted the virus.
Just because we happen to be lucky so far, and have not had direct contact with someone carrying the virus, does not mean it's not out there, waiting, and potentially deadly.

I told him I had another friend that just got over it... his first response was "Well... it didn't kill him did it!!?". I just wanted to facepalm so fucking bad.
Problem is this is one of my best friends, and I understand the frustration with face mask, and places being "social distanced" or temporarily shut down (like beaches, amusement parks, etc etc).

I've told him, that if you want to blame anyone, you gotta start at the top of the lack of an initial response to this threat. It was treated like a joke, and now we're the punchline.
I think Obama had Swine flu and Bush had Sars, but due to competence and accountability in either The Leadership or their admin, threats were treated seriously and mitigated before becoming a serious one. Had that same level of accountability and competence been shown here.... it most likely never would've gotten anywhere near this bad and we'd likely be getting back to "business as usual", instead of continuing to get even worse.
But he don't wanna hear none of that ****.
He's not political, and he not really World News aware. I think he gets his soundbites off clips on Facebook or some ****, so you know what kind of misleading garbage that has to be (I don't use facebook....)

But I'm not sure how get through to him, other than to just give him his space before he starts to compromise the rest of us.

Just thought I'd lay that out here and get it off my chest.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »
But I'm not sure how get through to him, other than to just give him his space before he starts to compromise the rest of us.

Just thought I'd lay that out here and get it off my chest.
I’ve ended whole friendships over ignorant **** like what you described. At the same time, I also have a stubborn friend I’ve known for over 15 years, who similarly has outlandish beliefs based on 🤷‍♀️. I’m currently on an I-need-a-fucking-break-from-this-person personal distancing (no contact because I can’t deal with his dumb bullshit). The short version is he defended Chris D’Elia (yes, the Chris D’Elia who was recently caught grooming a 16 year old) and several attempts to “get through to him” have been met with “you’re not going to change my mind on this.” This is not the first one of these, mind you. In a less gross instance, I tried to explain that Atkins/keto diet is extremely unhealthy, the vast majority of dieticians denounce it, and provided several links as proof only to be met with some variation of “you’re not going to change my mind on this.” I often think about whether it’s finally time to cut this person out entirely.

I’m not trying to make this about me. I just wanted to preface my actual response to you with an explanation for how I came to the following conclusion: You won’t get through to him. He’s going to have to figure this out on his own. And you may have to accept the difficult truth that he may never figure it out. Neither of the examples above endangered my health (just my patience). If your friend keeps up this nonsense about Coronavirus being a hoax (and likely not taking the proper precautions to be safe), only you can decide what’s best for you and the people in your life. That said, unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything else you can do that you haven’t already. I’ll leave you with the following tweet (I don’t have a Twitter so I just take screenshots):
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:02:37 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »
Thanks for the response.
At this point, I've already had a whole hear to heart break down with him over the BLM movement, that led to the eventual realization of his priviledge and why he was unknowingly able to push boundaries to stick up for or take the heat for friends of different nationality w/o fearing the worst.

Now we getting into it over COVID, and I just don't see him giving ground on this one short of him or someone close to him actually being killed or maimed by the virus' ever evolving and unpredictable effects.....

I mean, I'm kinda restless too, but I manage to socialize on a small scale, in open settings, because lockdown in this heat is just not doable. But I'm at least limiting my risk in any situation, and not putting myself in situations where the risk is just too much.
I get the frustrations with the societal changes, and I share many other frustrations with what's going on, but I know where to place those blames, and I don't have any intention of allowing my frustrations to directly put me, my family or friends in harms way just to say **** IT for a weekend and be extremely wreckless with a bunch of strangers somewhere just so I can get out.

Sorry for the mini 2nd rant as well..... :D

I just see the charts and see so many people just basically saying "**** it", not realizing that once those hospitals fill up again.... like they are right now, the body count is gonna start to rise quickly.
I see this getting much worse in some places before it even begins to get better, and school is about to start again....

anyway, stay safe everyone.
I'm gonna go hit some golf balls down at the driving range and work this stress off. lol

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
I got a friend.... swears Coronavirus is a "HOAX" because he only knows one person personally that has had it. He's mostly upset that "schools are gonna be going on, and my kids need to go to school!!!".
[...]

I think Adrock is probably right here, but in case you don't want to give up yet... In my experience people are less swayed by evidence and facts which contradict their already held opinions/beliefs, than they are by making a realisation themselves.
Many of these denial/hoax views are inherently contradictory: how can it be a hoax when he knows a guy who had covid? Has he talked to the guy at all? How'd that guy feel, just a flu? Did their family get it too?

Could be worth just asking him a lot of questions. Oh it's a hoax? Who came up with it then? For what purpose? What do people gain from tricking a country into lockdown (can't be money when economies shut down)? How come the entire world is falling for a single hoax then, surely someone would figure it out if this guy does? What's the end goal for a hoax like this, just to make everyone wear masks for a while? Is it some nefarious method of mass control? Wouldn't those people want facial recognition everywhere and thus be inconvenienced by masks? How came he knows all this but nobody else does, someone must've told him? Etc.

Obviously won't occur overnight, but maybe something might click if he's forced to face his own incongruities? If you do decide to cut contact, make it clear his views on X/Y/Z are the reason why, and perhaps set some baseline on how contact can be resumed if you're willing. He might still dig further down the rabbit hole, but hopefully it'll at least remind him of the friendship it cost.
Good luck man, really sucks. Don't let this dude sneeze on you.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2020, 10:10:54 PM »
This is a very stressful time.  No doubt about it.  So if you need to rant on a internet forum BnM go right ahead.   

Yeah that is a difficult situation. Having a long time friend and they are saying outlandish things because it suits their narrative.   I have a standing rule with friends either offline or online and it is this.  If you want to stand for something go for it as long as it doesn't trample over human rights.  So lots of the social issues going on like BLM, disability rights, LGBTQIA+ and other causes going on right now, if it tramples on any of those well I will kindly remind them that if you are not for those well I will try and speak to their humanity and then after several attempts they are still like that well I will mute or block them but I won't unfriend them. I just won't have much to talk about with them on those issues.   I rarely unfriend folk online unless I feel like for my own sanity or safety is being compromised then I need to step away from them then I will do that.

Also one thing I learned in therapy is to set personal boundaries for folks and set them out to them so they know if they cross this boundary well then they know what caused them to not be friends with them anymore.  Maybe they will think about those things and come around if not then at least you put in the effort to keep the friendship going.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »
BnM, I think Adrock is right.  You probably won't get through to him.  If you feel bad for cutting him off, try not to.  It's not your job/responsibility to teach someone who doesn't want to learn.  You may need to let this person go for the sake of your own mental health.  In these times of limited social interaction, the little you get shouldn't be stressful/draining.

I've tried with friends who hold to conspiracy theories to do things like what Steef is saying.  The thing about these beliefs is that they immediately fall apart once you start poking even small holes in them.  You can maybe plant those seeds of doubt that can grow over time, but some people tend to double down on these types of things.  They've spent so much time/energy defending them that they become attached to those ideas, or it's the notion of being contrarian and "going against the grain" that makes them feel smarter or like they're "thinking for themselves".  Either way, you're possibly trying to pry ideas from them that they, to some degree, want to hold on to.  At some point, it's more than ok to stop.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Can I just point out the stupidity of some of it leadership in the country that is dealing with COVID and other important social issues in this country...

Some context: the was a hearing yesterday regarding the US Attorney General. Some Republicans refused to wear mask, and didn't properly social distance. The congressman below was one of these people, and also got in close to the USAG at some point for a quick face to face conversation.

Today he was supposed to fly with the President to TX and had to get tested. He tested positive for COVID-19. The below then happened....

And now the USAG had been sent to get tested as well.

And these are the people that make the important decisions that affect all our lives. I don't know about you, but I feel we are in good hands 🙄

Personally I feel there should be some criminal or civil liability for such an ignorant act of public disregard, especially if any of them get sick.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:37:02 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
I just came in here to say I hope you're all doing well in spite of world events right now.  This community has been great for me through the last decade or so.

While I hate to see everyone struggling with what's happening, selfishly it's a little reassuring seeing I'm not alone in this.  I lost my head for a bit the last few months, just finally starting to get to a level mindset.  Make sure you're taking care of your mental health as well as your physical health, everyone. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2020, 01:08:33 AM »
I just came in here to say I hope you're all doing well in spite of world events right now.  This community has been great for me through the last decade or so.

While I hate to see everyone struggling with what's happening, selfishly it's a little reassuring seeing I'm not alone in this.  I lost my head for a bit the last few months, just finally starting to get to a level mindset.  Make sure you're taking care of your mental health as well as your physical health, everyone. 

Thanks, Internet Friend. Hope you're doing well too.

ICYMI, a pizza man who thought he'd make a good president, died today of COVID-19.  Herman Cain was perhaps best known among our communities as an avid fan of Sim City as well as the Pokemon franchise.

He notably attended a rally for the sitting US President and was photographed without a mask at the event less than two weeks before becoming hospitalized due to the illness.  I don't think it's currently known when exactly he contracted the virus.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2020, 06:25:32 PM »
Well, damn.....

R.I.P.
(moment of silence for him, and all others that have suffered needless loss from this pandemic)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:43:26 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »
That’s pretty scathing.

For anyone wondering, “Abbott” is referring to Greg Abbott, Governor of Texas. I had to google it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2020, 03:33:17 AM »
I was surprised when Herman Cain died. When I was a kid at my local base exchange there was a Burger King / Godfathers Pizza, which I assume he was the brains behind.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »
Welcome to America's **** Show LIVE 2020!!!!!

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/video/student-suspended-showing-fellow-students-masks-72209309

summary: kid takes video of his HighSchool hallways packed shoulder to shoulder with kids not wearing mask, and post on Social Media. The School finds out, and suspends the kid for showing the school off in a negative light.
Then some other kid records the Morning Announcement of the Principle threatening "warning" the kids to not post or share anything the paints the school in a negative way, as there will be consequences.

Personally, I hope the parent sues the school and the district. My kid would be sitting out, or transferred to some remote/home learning experience instead.

I actually saw a post in my area for "The Best Damn 4th-6th grade teacher in the Bay Area, to teach 4-7 kids in the backyard. Salary to be more than they were making at whatever school they were currently employed at"
I would wish I or someone close to me had the resources to make that a reality.

Social engagement is important, but how important is it if you, or the people you wish to be social with, don't live through it to continue to be social?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2020, 07:33:19 PM »
the headline could be read as:

School Journalist is Punished by Authoritarian School Governance.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »
the headline could be read as:

School Journalist is Punished by Authoritarian School Governance.

^^^much better headline.

I don't believe in violence (read: I'm a coward), but I'd understand if the parent felt the need to engage in fisticuffs with the principal of that school.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2020, 12:27:18 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/10/health/children-long-covid-symptoms-intl-gbr/index.html

Somebody please think of the children....

as they pile back into the classrooms because remote learning options aren't even being considered while we actively do nothing to curb this nasty virus.

next few generations of potential athletes could be compromised by this if the effects are extremely long term and not reversible over time.

and considering what politicians are attempting with Healthcare in this country.... this will of course be considered a Pre-Existing condition and not covered.... i wonder who the blowback on all this will land on in the near future once everyone realizes how this affects them or their loved ones directly.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2020, 01:02:35 PM »
Welcome to America's **** Show LIVE 2020!!!!!

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/video/student-suspended-showing-fellow-students-masks-72209309

summary: kid takes video of his HighSchool hallways packed shoulder to shoulder with kids not wearing mask, and post on Social Media. The School finds out, and suspends the kid for showing the school off in a negative light.
Then some other kid records the Morning Announcement of the Principle threatening "warning" the kids to not post or share anything the paints the school in a negative way, as there will be consequences.

Follow up to this story!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/10/9-georgia-students-test-positive-covid-19-viral-school-photo/3333280001/

The school's principal Gabe Carmona notified parents Saturday that six students and three staff members had tested positive for the virus. Each of them had been in the school building sometime in the prior week, though it's unknown if they were infected there.
Now, all students will take online classes Monday and Tuesday, Paulding County Schools Superintendent Brian Otott said in a letter to parents Sunday. He said those two days will be used to clean and disinfect the school, and parents will learn Tuesday evening if in-person classes can resume later in the week.
emphasis added

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2020, 03:28:55 PM »
Well, I mean, yeah you gotta clean the school, but don't you think EVERYONE that was at the school during that period of time needs to GET TESTED and QUARANTINE, while the school does remote learning for the remainder of the following week.

Then maybe enact mandatory mask rules as part of the dress code, and stagger lunches so that students can eat outdoors with mask off.

This isn't terribly difficult. Someone in charge just needs to care.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:02:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
What, do you care about the safety of children or something? PFFT! Next time, think of the economy for saying something so ridiculous.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »
The gift that KEEPS ON GIVING!!!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-patients-hair-loss-trauma-stress-2020-7

Please expand upon my list if I forgot something but...
Symptoms:
loss of taste and smell
shortness of breath
fatigue
cough
sneeze

Long Term effects:
Shortness of breath & Fatigue (lung damage)
heart damage
Hair-loss
*Death*

now we just need this to make erectile disfunction drugs ineffective, and I bet we will suddenly have national importance on a level we haven't seen out of Washington in forever.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
I don't have kids, but this is definitely the first time I've strongly considered the benefits of homeschooling.

Also, I just found out that my specific zipcode is one of the top 3 hotspots in the bay area with the highest infection rates in the region. Mathematically there's still tons of ways to limit exposure and protect myself, but just seeing that fact specifically be the topic of local news is more than a little worrisome/disturbing.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.