Author Topic: Metroid (NES) - stumped  (Read 24489 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Metroid (NES) - stumped
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »
No, it's not. You try to excuse Metroid's poor design choices and lack of replayability by essentially citing it's age. SMB came out 2 years earlier and holds up much better.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
the only charm in that game is to appreciate the many advancements from later games in the series... then I decide I want to PLAY those later games in the series...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 08:45:30 AM »
No, it's not. You try to excuse Metroid's poor design choices and lack of replayability by essentially citing it's age. SMB came out 2 years earlier and holds up much better.
No, they are apples and oranges. Sure SMB has more replay value (even though it takes all of 5 minutes or so to beat the game), but that doesn't change the fact that they are completely different games. They were both on the NES and have characters that can walk or jump...and that's where the similarities end.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »
No, they are apples and oranges. Sure SMB has more replay value (even though it takes all of 5 minutes or so to beat the game), but that doesn't change the fact that they are completely different games. They were both on the NES and have characters that can walk or jump...and that's where the similarities end.

You are still missing the point. You are trying to use the games age to justify its poor aging, but I showed an even older game that still holds up.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
The only sense in which comparing Metroid to Super Mario Bros informs this discussion is in terms of each game's respective scope. Super Mario Bros focused on doing a handful of things really well and has, therefore, stood the test of time; while Metroid, being far grander in scope, was perhaps too ambitious and has arguably aged poorly.

Other than that though, I really don't think comparing the two games is illuminating.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:40:31 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »
The only sense in which comparing Metroid to Super Mario Bros informs this discussion is in terms of each game's respective scope. Super Mario Bros focused on doing a handful of things really well and has, therefore, stood the test of time; while Metroid, being far grander in scope, was perhaps too ambitious and has arguably aged poorly.

Other than that though, I really don't think comparing the two games is illuminating.

that is pretty much the entire nes generation in a nutshell...

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »
Just get a pen and paper and make a map. That's how I did it back then, believe me it helps.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 08:59:08 AM »
Just get a pen and paper and make a map. That's how I did it back then, believe me it helps.

It might help but that doesn't make it fun. Unless of course you're way into cartology, in which case Metroid is the game for you. For me, I can't think of anything more tedious than putting the controller down every couple of minutes in order to painstakingly map out each individual corridor and shaft . F*** that!
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
Did this already.
Got pretty complicated fast, cause it's hard to judge distance inside the world. That's why i used printed grid.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
Admittedly, I played through Metroid with the help of this book, meaning that I had the maps in front of me as I played.  I don't see any shame in doing that. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of the game at all.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
y can't metroid crawl?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »

Aside from both games (Super Mario Bros., Metroid) having clunky controls and terrible jumping mechanics, sure. Mario has too much momentum when he runs, and Samus feels too floaty.

Super Mario World nailed Mario's jumping physics, and Super Metroid nailed Samus's agility.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:58:29 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931