Author Topic: New Forums  (Read 7979 times)

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
New Forums
« on: February 01, 2003, 09:06:44 AM »
Remember this is still in BETA

We're getting errors and a few mishaps with the new forums and the new server.  Please be patient.  Moving to a new server always has its hiccups and crap like that.

Hope you all like the new home.

Please post any bugs or things that need to be fixed in here.  
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline baberg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Forums BUG DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 09:15:28 AM »
Damn, I just made a thread that explained my problems... here they are again:

- At the top of each page, above the PGC Forum logo, is some text that varies depending on where I am on the forum.  Looks like they're variables that the forum software is spitting out, things like date, page completion status, etc.  The main homepage (planetgamecube.com) is also displaying this text at the top, above the banner ad.

- Every once in a while, using my browser's back button, the page I return to is not rendered.  The HTML code is still there, but for some reason it's displaying it as plain text and not HTML.

- "New Messages" tags aren't refreshing correctly for me.  I go into a category or thread and several messages are marked as "new".  I exit the thread, reload the main page (or forum page) and they're still displayed as new.  This might not be a bug with the software, but just my problem dealing with this new UI.

I'm running IE 5.0 on Windows 2000.  My connection is from my PC, to a 100Mb hub, to a gateway running Windows 2000 Internet Connection Sharing, then out to the Internet over a 56k modem (yes, it's a bit of overkill).  Other webpages are rendering fine.  
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 10:16:32 AM »

At the top of each page, above the PGC Forum logo, is some text that varies depending on where I am on the forum. Looks like they're variables that the forum software is spitting out, things like date, page completion status, etc. The main homepage (planetgamecube.com) is also displaying this text at the top, above the banner ad.

Fixed.  

Every once in a while, using my browser's back button, the page I return to is not rendered. The HTML code is still there, but for some reason it's displaying it as plain text and not HTML.

Sounds like a problem with your browser.  There's nothing in the code that could keep it from displaying.  Regardless, there are breadcrumb links at the tops and bottoms of the pages you can use to navigate.  Perhaps avoiding the back button would help.

"New Messages" tags aren't refreshing correctly for me. I go into a category or thread and several messages are marked as "new". I exit the thread, reload the main page (or forum page) and they're still displayed as new. This might not be a bug with the software, but just my problem dealing with this new UI.

That's intentional.  New messages added when you refresh manually will still appear, but the ones there when you first log on do not.  Why?  Because we don't want you to miss which ones were new if you have to refresh due to a page that didn't finish loading or whatnot.  If you want to refresh the new messages, use the "Refresh" button at the top of the forum page.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 10:22:57 AM »
The biggest problem I had was that I could not log in.  That seems not to be an issue at the moment since I am here now.  I ran into the same problems baberg mentioned.

Also the forum news, I think, the first topic has only one post but before you go in says there are more.

I run both MSN Explorer through MSN 8 and IE 6.0 depending on what I am doing and got it on both, here at the forums and at planetgamecube.com.

At least it's nice to know it's not something I need to fix

Please disregard my email.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 10:30:42 AM »
MSN8 and IE6 both use the IE6 rendering engine, as do many other browser "replacements".  If you have problems in one, you'll have them in the others as well.  One thing to keep in mind is that you want to avoid blocking cookies from PlanetGameCube.com.  They aren't "evil" cookies, I promise you.  In fact you REALLY don't want to do that, since some things we might do later might need them.

The only types of cookies anyone really needs to be concerned about are "third-party" cookies.  Those are cookies that are served to you by a different server than the one you're on.  Those tend to be used for tracking you.  We only use them so that the server knows who you are.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 10:44:31 AM »
That would explain why it says my current browser is IE 6.0 in my profile while  I am using MSN Explorer.

Well I set my browser to accept cookies from PlanetGameCube.com to always, if that helps.  I didn't have a problem last night though, and nothing changed today from them, oh well.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 12:57:34 PM »
1) There was a problem this morning where I could not login, but that is obviously fixed.
2) The forums seem to have a little slowness, is that normal?
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 12:59:45 PM »
We've still got a few things to tweak yet, and we've turned off several features in order to help speed things along.  We're going to try to turn a few things on as long as they don't impact performance too much.  But I've got a couple of things on tap that should help with the speed issues.

Offline baberg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 02:06:26 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers

Every once in a while, using my browser's back button, the page I return to is not rendered. The HTML code is still there, but for some reason it's displaying it as plain text and not HTML.
Sounds like a problem with your browser.  There's nothing in the code that could keep it from displaying.  Regardless, there are breadcrumb links at the tops and bottoms of the pages you can use to navigate.  Perhaps avoiding the back button would help.
Actually, the problem has seemed to fix itself.  It was also happening on just simple page reloads using either the button or Ctrl-R.  But it's working now.  Strangeness.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline Attrox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 05:14:38 PM »
What really would be nice is if the logo at the top of the forums went to the forums index page, rather then the Planet GameCube index page.
Attrox - Webmaster of the Great Deku Tree
http://www.gdtree.com/

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 05:23:10 PM »

What really would be nice is if the logo at the top of the forums went to the forums index page, rather then the Planet GameCube index page.

You'll get use to it.
Ways to get to the forum index page:

1) home button in upper right
2) forums link in upper left and bottom left

Offline Attrox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2003, 06:07:49 PM »
Yes -- I know the ways to get to the home page. I'm just saying, it would be quite convenient if the logo linked to the forums index.
Attrox - Webmaster of the Great Deku Tree
http://www.gdtree.com/

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2003, 12:20:06 AM »
Attrox, I already suggested that as it annoys me just as much as you, but it seems that the forum administrators disagree with us.  They feel it's more important to make sure that we read the main page repeatedly rather than stay on the forums.  

Anyways, I have a couple of VERY annoying bugs to report.  I use two browsers, and neither of them like the site at the moment.

Phoenix is my most used one.  Every time I open a new page, it gives me this message.
pic1

IE is a backup.  Some pages are coded strictly for IE, and I use it for FTP access.  It gives me this when I open the main page.
pic2

I would appreciate it if these errors were looked into.  Thank you.  

PS:  It took 6 edits to figure out how to make a hyperlink... do you suppose that the standard tags could be implemented?  Or at least make it so that urls are autmatically linked?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2003, 08:55:25 AM »
I'll look into your errors.

I haven't linked the Forums logo to the forums main page because if I were to do that, it would screw up the way the forums handle "unread" messages.  If you clicked that, it would reset your viewed messages and you'd have no idea what you'd missed.

As for the hyperlink tags, it would be a lot easier to use the link buttons to show you how to make the tags on your own.  That's why they're there.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2003, 09:44:26 AM »
Today I could get to the home page of the forum, but for a while I couldn't open anything excect for the who's online thingy.  All I would get in a page that runs through the search option on my browser saying it couldn't find the page that I was trying to open, General Chat, PGC Discussion in general.  Also I got it when I tried to use the refresh button, but if I used the link in my favorites folder I had no problem.  Also PlanetGameCube.com wouldn't open, same problem.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2003, 11:55:33 AM »
That's because the server crashed.  

As evidenced by the message we have at the top of the forum, our mail server has been acting strangely, and I think that might have been what's causing people to not get passwords, and possibly behind the crashing of the server.  I'm working on it.  

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 02:56:28 PM »
The clock is an hour behind.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 03:16:45 PM »
Thanks, fixed.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2003, 07:03:34 PM »
Just to let you know, I fixed the first problem I reported by going back to the last milestone release of Phoenix rather than using the nightly build.  I think that the problem was caused by one of the ads though, as I experienced it at other sites too, and they had similar ads...  mediamgr.hugo.com or something like that was the address.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2003, 09:01:09 PM »
I'm using IE 6.0...

All I get is "File Download" windows when I click on ANYTHING in PGC. I had to get through 310978432864 clicks of the "cancel" button just to be able to see this thread and reply to it.

The PGC news stories ask me to download them; the forums ask me to download file: "forums" from www.planetgamecube.com; heck, even the main site itself asks me to download "/" sometimes.  And I can't see the page I'm trying to open unless a download window DOESN'T pop up (happens extremely rarely). Unchecking the "Always ask before opening this type of file" box does jack.

These forums and the site worked fine until about 5 days ago, if I remember. About the time you started advertising the change to the new forums... then it all went to Hell.

Help.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 09:28:38 PM »
Paladin, I have that same problem, but it seriously doesn't bother me much.  I know that you might think that other browsers suck compared to IE, but I am a full fledged convert.  I have found that Phoenix, although it is still an early beta, is faster than IE by far, and does some things in a MUCH better way than IE could ever hope for.  It's only a 6MB download, so you have nothing to lose by trying it.  The last milestone release handles PGC with no issues at all.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

Give it a try, you might be surprised that some good was born out of the rotting shell that was Netscape.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2003, 05:44:44 AM »
If you're having problems with the site asking you to download a file, make sure that you have HTTP 1.1 turned ON.  In IE, you can find it under Tools, Options, Advanced.  It's on by default, so it's something that you turned off for some reason.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2003, 08:06:04 AM »
Thanks Rick... I found the problem.

It wasn't turned off... it's just that there's two checkboxes, and one is for proxies.

I'm using a proxy, is all... one simple click remedied the problem.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2003, 08:40:41 AM »
Yep, that would do it.  I've gone through and found a hidden setting that will not pass compressed data through proxies, which should fix some of those problems.  However, with that box checked on your end, pages will load a LOT faster.