Author Topic: Off-Topic Wise-Ass Comments About Other NWR Forum Threads And Also Other Stuff  (Read 925055 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
He is a seasonal poster. I suspect he will be back at some point.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

17 is the age when people get "too old" for Nintendo and they don't come back till late 20's.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Oddly enough, I joined this site around that age, and I still seem to be kicking despite the fact that I've been banned for collectively around six months.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Lucariofan99 is 17 today. I thought about posting this in the Lucariofan thread but I'll let it keep dropping. Still, it's a reminder of how he has very much disappeared. He hasn't been to this site in over a month. You bored him to death NWR. At this point, it seems that if Lucariofan99 had been banned instead of a Pokepal mentoring him, we'd have practically ended up with the same result we did. There just would have been maybe 30 fewer posts or so. I suppose I'm responsible for his demise as well.

Oh well. More cake for the rest of us.

Well, I have a present for him. Something that he might find useful.
https://invisiblegirlfriend.com/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
If my wife was the competitive jealous type, or fairly high on the Hot Crazy scale, I might actually do that to help the home life.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
You know you're bored and can't sleep when you start trolling a friendcode thread.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
That's just the kind of outlaw you are.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Seriously, though, we should probably put the Wii/DS Friend Code forums in a hidden/read-only mode, since, you know, WiFi Connect is dead and no Wii/DS Friend Codes will save you now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Just to show that I listen to people occasionally, I made those sections inaccessible to normal users. Us staff and moderators can still see it, though, so we'll probably just use them to bash the rest of you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Just to show that I listen to people occasionally, I made those sections inaccessible to normal users.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Okay, you got me, I have no training whatsoever in how to use the admin tools. You're lucky I didn't accidentally delete the entire forum trying.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
You're good with computers.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Including an offhand comment about your impressions of how a game plays on the new hardware it's launching day and date with? What the hell is wrong with you?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I think it is an Ocarina fanboy trying to get into troll-mode.
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
As hilarious as it may be, and as much as it may be deserved, you've gotta keep that kind of bullshit out of TalkBack, Khush.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Oh...

That sucks. That was some of my better work of late.

However, this now intrigues my inquisitive side. At times, I have posted other joke type posts in Talkback threads which did not seem to phase anyone. At least that I know of. It's possible you deleted some posts later and I never knew. Which is a crime against free speech! I'm being oppressed here! So, what is the line as it were? What is ok silly and what is too much silly?

For that matter, what are the Talkback guidelines? When people come and post venomous posts against a review or reviewer they disagree with, the angry stuff is allowed but silly, irrelevant posts are not? For that matter, if you look at other sites, many times you will see comments devolving far away from the actual article topic. Sometime into angry rants of users versus users or into users posting gifs and jokes and doing some creative mocking of something in the thread or that someone said. There are times where the conversation just goes off on a different point into a whole other topic that people just talk more about instead. That latter option will happen here a lot. However, since the comments and discussion no longer have anything to do with the article posted, does that mean those comments should be deleted? Because they are discussed more seriously, does that make them more relevant than posts made for humour? Both are off topic. Both are better than the first option of hostility.

Is it because the articles and then Talkback comments under them are more likely to be read by non forum users that there is fear the comments need to reflect well on the site? I think that would be a terrible reason. It's like how it is cheaper for a business to maintain a current customer than to bring in a new customer. Getting new people to visit the site and post comments on an article is not easy. The article really has to cause a reaction of some sort of either praise or criticism to get some people to go through the process of creating an account and then posting their thoughts. If they do, it's more likely for the criticism reason. Then you have to hope they keep coming back to see more of what you write and aren't just here for this one article or visit and then gone back to other sites they frequent. A site needs traffic. If no one is coming to read your work or pay attention to it, how can you hope to continue it or support it?

With regular forum users, they are the ones most likely to comment frequently on lots of different articles. They are sort of fans of the writers and the stuff that they produce. There's a better camaraderie between themselves and the writers versus someone who posts once a year and is an infrequent user. A bit of that effect came into play during the Mario Kart 8 reviews and the bonds between loyal readers sticking up for the site against the attacks by non-users. To then tell the loyalists as it were that it's great they use the site but their personalities aren't what we want to project or that they bring down the level of the site because they want to appeal to people who don't post or actively support them is a bit of a turncoat move. Moreover, they are the ones who can often be a big force in bringing in more users by encouraging other people to use the site or check it. Or they can reach out to new users and encourage them. I've seen that done plenty of times over the years. Shyguy took the lead in doing some stuff like that a few times. It's going to be easier to bring in new blood with similar personalities as the loyal users than ones that clash. Therefore, trying to present an image that is only partially correct or perfectly polished does no favors in forum and user growth as it will just lead to disappointment from things not being as they appear.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Getting back to the idea of attracting more users, there may be a lot who come to the site and read the articles and skim the comments and don't post. What may cause some to join? The comments and community shown under the articles could have an effect. I do agree that Talkback comments are a bit different from other forum posts. However, while the comments here under articles may not devolve into flame wars or YouTube comments of chain letter postings, religious messages and spam, bland comments are probably not going to draw any new comments or expressions either. A person may think it's nice that the comment section seems reasonable compared to other places yet what is going to draw them to peruse the forums or be a part of it from such comments? By posting some goofier comments, even if they are off-topic, or perhaps make the commenter look slightly mad, sends a message that there is fun to be had here. People like to laugh and have fun and this may cause them to check out the forums or come back for articles in the hopes that they can get some more laughs again in the future. Comedy sells.

I, personally, do skim the comments a lot of times after I read an article on the net. There are some places or sites where I'm actually more entertained or interested in the comments in the end than I am in the article. I believe that such a thing has a cumulative growth effect. You know it's a spot you can go to for some quick amusement. As you participate, others come upon it also and then they want to join in too. I've often posted of late and encouraged people that if you want to see this community grow or be more active, than you should take some actions to help make it that way and to post more even if it is just for fun. It's because of the latter actions by many of the long time posters no longer here who did that which has resulted in me sticking around so long. It was often fun to be in any part of the forums because many people were contributing to that fun everywhere by posting silly stuff beyond just the funhouse.

I should clarify that I don't mean a person goes nuts and just posts random gifs with no bearing on anything in every part of the forum. The rules do forbid that. Try to find some relation to what is currently being posted or talked about in the thread to at least give you some basis for what you post. As long as you can do that and not do something that is going to cause a poster to hit the report to a moderator button because it is offensive then you're probably going to be ok. It's a great thing to make people laugh. I'm glad I can pull it off sometimes. It's a great confidence boost to know that you can make someone laugh or that they find you funny. And it's way more fun than discussing a lot of negatives done by companies like Nintendo or other internet users and what not.

I do try and show some judgement with where and what I post. I don't always get it right. But it's not like I'm going around and de-railing every thread on every forum. I'm not sure when the last time I messed around like that in a Talkback thread but if I had to guess, I'd say its possibly 4 months or more. If I did that in 3 Talkback threads out of the thousands that are posted in a year, I did not think that was going to ruin the forum or cause major waves on this site or really bother people. I seem to be wrong on that though I am curious now as to what Talkback and comments are supposed to represent or be.

don't take it personal I got away with stuff in other threads that got me 3 day ban in a talkback thread. Granted I often do cross the line, I think they are more protective of the talkback section. I don't even know what post this is in reference to but I never got the impression your posts are meant to blatantly derail anything. I also do agree that more often than not I tend to read the comments sections especially on IGN, Kotaku, GameSpot, those places the comments are more entertaining than the articles.

I also agree the regulars here are more familiar with the posting style, it takes a new user time to adjust. I think I would side with the Mods on this one, look at how crazy lucario went, and others before, trying to turn the entire forum into the funhouse, people get carried away hell its what got me banned my first time to this place it can be hard to tell where people are trying to be serious, or just goofing off.

This isn't as tough a crowd to get into as some forums but we are a smaller community now, and not just this site, Nintendo fans as a whole.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Yes, it's because more people look at those because they're under the articles on the front page. And I'm not saying you can't make joke posts in there, because as long as you stay within the rules that's fine, my main issue with what you did was that you did it over the course of seven or eight consecutive posts. The spamming was what caused me to take it down, not the content.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
If posts were deleted due to content this place would be a desert.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
my main issue with what you did was that you did it over the course of seven or eight consecutive posts.

Ah, I see. Hmmm. But I don't think the joke would have worked without the multiple posts. The multiple posts give it breaks and beats. It allows for an illusion of time passing. Multiple post jokes are ones I don't do too often for the reason that a chunk of posts is right on the edge and probably a little over the rules. I do find them interesting creatively just because they are so unusual and infrequent plus it's a bit of a pressure cooker because you have to make it all sort of worthwhile in the end. If it goes nowhere, then it is a waste of time and spam. Thus, I'll often have a destination or denouement of some kind to wrap it up and give it a bit of a point. There's been times where I've started down the path and pushed it farther than my initial plan and am trying to figure out how to make it work. I feel I've been able to pull it off but because of that challenge, I don't engage in it often. The more common form is when I have the "conversation" with myself. It's my spin on The Colbert Report's Formidable Opponent.

Believe it or not, despite all the questions and musings I posted, that actually helps me and answers quite a bit. While I liked the little story I told, since it wouldn't work without multiple posts, the correct solution was to not post anything then.

It came about because I had actually just wanted to make fred13's post readable. Then I went into another thread and saw that he posted the exact same thing there earlier. That's when I realized some kind of error must have occurred and that the post probably wasn't made for that thread. I then felt stupid for having gone and made it readable. The rule against cross-posting also occurred to me and then inspiration struck and I ran with it. The lesson here is never help anyone.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I want to see what the post said. We need Talkback2 to be brought back so that I can read those deletion worthy posts.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
That's not the only time that's happened to me. I did a "conversation" with myself in a thread a spambot started that was maybe 4 thread pages long and it was all deleted when the spambot thread was deleted. There's been other cases of subtle eliminations of great Khushrenada posts. You just got be checking in here all the time to keep up.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Just reserve most of your "high concept" stuff for places that aren't TalkBack.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Oh, it's definitely "high" concept, (animal crossing mischief emotion) if you know what I mean.