Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1587799 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2000 on: January 15, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
Where did all the steam rumors come from anyways? I really find it the idea as hard to believe as it is awesome. As a longtime Nintendo fanboy, I've developed the defense mechanism of having my skepticism directly proportional to how much I want a rumor to be true.

And speaking of Mass Effect... man, it'd be great if Nintendo could get BioWare onboard. As a Wii-only console gamer, that's another area that I could really benefit from if we start getting port-parity.

Nintendo needs to get Epic and Bethesda on the Wii U bandwagon. I really wish that there was some kind of port of the Gears trilogy on the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: January 15, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
Nintendo needs to get Epic and Bethesda on the Wii U bandwagon.

Nintendo needs to get EVERYONE on the Wii U bandwagon. From the lowest developer who works in his parent's garage, to the highest developers like EA, and everyone in between.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: January 15, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
Yeah, but who would you like first? Personally, I can't decide between EA-owned BioWare's Western RPGs, or a potentially fully fleshed out online COD experience... or maybe a robust indie catalog for download? Or maybe complete Atlus and NIS support? GAH, I want it all and I know I'm not gonna get it all!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: January 15, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
Where did all the steam rumors come from anyways? I really find it the idea as hard to believe as it is awesome. As a longtime Nintendo fanboy, I've developed the defense mechanism of having my skepticism directly proportional to how much I want a rumor to be true.

I had to skim through the Rumor Consolidation to find this:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg672732#msg672732

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: January 15, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
Kairon Hype Level + 9000
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wii U Card Game by Ubisoft
« Reply #2006 on: January 16, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
Ubisoft is making a card game for Wii U
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/bernarddamien
Damien BERNARD's Experience
Level Designer Ubisoft Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; FR0000054470; Computer Games industry

December 2011 ā€“ Present (2 months) Quebec, Canada

- Unannounced MMO

Lead Level Designer Ubisoft Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; FR0000054470; Computer Games industry

March 2011 ā€“ December 2011 (10 months)

- The Black Eyed Peas Experience - Wii : Level Design, Team Management, Task Management
Website : http://blackeyedpeas-experience.ubi.com/black-eyed-peas/en-US/

- Unannounced Project - Wii U, Card Game : Game, Level Design, Task Management

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Ghost Recon Online Arcade Wii U
« Reply #2007 on: January 16, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
Ghost Recon Online is now called Ghost Recon Online Arcade
http://sg.linkedin.com/pub/ben-yeoh/3a/a5/45
Ben Yeoh's Experience
Senior Programmer Ubisoft Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; FR0000054470; Computer Games industry

July 2008 ā€“ Present (3 years 7 months) Singapore

Ghost Recon Online Arcade (Wii U) - Programming Lead:
Actively mentoring all members in the team (including conducting rigorous code reviews). Developed Wii U renderer for Yeti as well as various other systems. Laid the groundwork and framework for all subsequent porting.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: January 16, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
Even if Wii U's online isn't as wonderful as we hope, I wonder if minor advancements could be made through the App Store. Developers would need a solid platform as it is too much to ask Nintendo simply open it, though I can see hackers opening it up themselves. One of the main features I hope Nintendo considers in order to take full advantage of their system is the ability to let Apps run in the background. Actually that part is what concerns me the most and could be crucial in fixing problems Nintendo doesn't or won't fix themselves.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
I have a favor to ask from this forum. Does anyone have a link that shows a list of Wii games and thier size in terms of memory like mega and giga bytes? Secondly, Here is a list of installed Xbox 360 games, so could someone tell me whehter the size of these installed games are the totalt size of the game, or just a small portion on the 360 HDD?

http://www.stripesonfire.com/xbox-360-game-install-list/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: January 17, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
Even if Wii U's online isn't as wonderful as we hope, I wonder if minor advancements could be made through the App Store. Developers would need a solid platform as it is too much to ask Nintendo simply open it, though I can see hackers opening it up themselves. One of the main features I hope Nintendo considers in order to take full advantage of their system is the ability to let Apps run in the background. Actually that part is what concerns me the most and could be crucial in fixing problems Nintendo doesn't or won't fix themselves.
That be new territory for Nintendo really.  Most Nintendo hardware when it boots a game just hands over the hardware to the developer. Thinking about it the 3DS may be the first one that I know other software can even really run in the background.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2011 on: January 17, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
Even if the 3DS was (probably is) the first time Nintendo had apps run in the background, there's precedent. Hopefully Nintendo will do the right thing and take it to the next level.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:55 AM »
Ugh.  Sounds like Wii style gaming... "hopefully" it will be an on Rails Shooter.

Ghost Recon Online is now called Ghost Recon Online Arcade
http://sg.linkedin.com/pub/ben-yeoh/3a/a5/45

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 17, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
A non update to Smash Bros! The game wont be coming out for a long time!
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/34319/smash-bros-wii-u-may-take-a-while-sakurai/

I'm thinking 3 years from now, no more than 4 for both versions.

I can't really say anything until things settle down with Kid Icarus," Sakurai told Kid Icarus... And a lot of it will depend on the team that I end up assembling for Smash Bros. It may take a while, but I think your patience will be rewarded
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2014 on: January 17, 2012, 02:19:32 PM »
I think Sakurai already said that a couple of months ago (or at least something about not starting development until Kid Icarus was done).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
Yes he did. I think this is the 3rd time now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:45:43 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »
Wow. What if Retro worked on Smash Bros.?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
Wow. What if Retro worked on Smash Bros.?

I trust them to make a new smash over anyone else! They would make sure Ridley gets proper playable representation.

Since Sakurai doesn't have a team yet there very well could be a possibility that Retro get's involved. But they must be knee deep in their own projects by now.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2018 on: January 17, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
If Nintendo wants to speed up the development, I could see some outsourcing (much like MK7) to Retro, though that's a waste of talent. Unless Sakurai flies in to work with Retro on Smash Bros full time, I don't see it happening. Sakurai wants to build a team from scratch with people he knows, though that could include some borrowed talent from Retro.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: January 17, 2012, 07:54:05 PM »
Like I've said before, the Wii U version will take at least 3 years to make because it'll take a huge amount of time to make a HD fighting game with over 50 characters.  Hell, right now the only HD fighting game that has anywhere close to that many characters is Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 which has exactly 50 characters.  That game was just an expansion of Marvel vs Capcom 3 which first started development back in Summer 2008.  So yeah, it's going to take a while.

The only bright side is the 3DS version will probably be done in less than 2 years.  Since the 3DS game will probably just use Brawls engine and reuse a lot of it's existing assets, that will save a lot of time.  In particular, all the returning characters from Brawl will only need minor changes for the 3DS game since the 3DS and Wii hardware are very close, while the Wii U version they'll all need to be made from scratch because the Wii U is lightyears ahead of the Wii.  This is why the 3DS will be more than likely be done much sooner which should help with the wait for the Wii U version.

I still predict that Smash Bros 3DS will be a late 2013/early 2014 release, while the Wii U will be mid 2015/late 2015.
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #2020 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »
Hey, at least he's making it.  I remember Sakurai, around the end of the development of Brawl, saying he wouldn't make another Smash Bros. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2021 on: January 17, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »
At this point, he is like Kojima saying he won't make another Metal Gear game every time he finishes one.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: January 17, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »
He may not be involved yet, but isn't it possible Nintendo has had a team working on this all along getting the character models and things like that in order? If that's the case, by the time he does assume leadership of the project a lot of the mundane time consuming stuff might be ready to roll.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
I don't think everything will be from scratch for the Wii U, only because during E3 this was posted on the Iwata asks website.

For the programmers, the difficulty is in making two games at once. Sakurai wants to place a focus on smoothly making the basic systems. They will first begin by porting the basic gameplay systems of Smash Bros. X to 3DS and Wii U.

Still though, I agree it's going to be 3 years at the earliest.

http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/
not the exact link, but it does the job.

RomanceDawn

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2024 on: January 17, 2012, 11:38:27 PM »
As long as tripping is taken out. Don't want to have to mod the next Smash Bros. just to keep an asinine "feature" out of a perfectly good game. Ugh.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!