Author Topic: Nintendo Sales Panic: August 2020 US NPD Group Results  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Sales Panic: August 2020 US NPD Group Results
« on: September 14, 2020, 05:32:00 AM »

No new releases? No problem, just have ten of the top 20 games of the month.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/54930/nintendo-sales-panic-august-2020-us-npd-group-results

The Switch continues its rampage through 2020 in the NPD Group's sales surveys.

All figures based on revenue/dollar sales from August 2 - 29 unless noted.

Hardware saw the Switch record the highest revenue for any console ever in an August, topping the total set by the Wii in 2008 at over a billion dollars US. A unit sales figure was not provided, though sales of the Switch more than doubled compared to last August.

Although there were no new first party titles released in August, catalogue titles took ten of the top 20 places overall even without digital sales for Nintendo. Madden NFL 21 and UFC 4 were the top two games of the month overall, but the following Nintendo games were in the top 20: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (5th), Ring Fit Adventure (6th), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (7th), Super Smash Bros Ultimate (8th), Paper Mario: The Origami King (9th), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (11th), New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (15th), Super Mario Party (16th), Super Mario Odyssey (18th), and Luigi's Mansion 3 (20th).

Third party titles in the top 20 include Mortal Kombat 11 (10th), Minecraft (13th), and the debuting PGA Tour 2K21 (14th).

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wanderlei

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Sales Panic: August 2020 US NPD Group Results
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:44:09 AM »
numberwang lol

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:08:23 AM »
Shouldn't it still be a party if Nintendo is breaking Wii records?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »
I am not surprised by the hardware sales. There have been some substantial restocks of the switch online. I was finally able to get a second main console and a switch lite for a friend after looking for months. At the same time they are still hard to find and sold out most of the time. On amazon right now the only option for retail price is an import from the UK  :o

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 09:24:40 PM »
Shouldn't it still be a party if Nintendo is breaking Wii records?

In order to qualify for a sales party, Nintendo has to have the top selling hardware AND software. I'm not even sure if it'll happen next month because NBA 2k21 is a) multiplatform, b) on sale longer, and c) hasn't lost its debut month in I don't know how long.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:42:33 PM »
NBA 2k21 hasn't lost its debut month in I don't know how long.

No, Shaymin! The only panic here is the gambling monster that has enslaved these gamers! I call him Gamblor, and it's time for Nintendo to snatch all gamers from his neon claws!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.