Author Topic: Prince of Persia Takes Home the Awards  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Prince of Persia Takes Home the Awards
« on: March 06, 2004, 10:25:40 PM »
Ubisoft's press release with reactions from the CEO.

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time is awarded Best Console Game of the Year at the 2004 Interactive Achievement Awards

Ubisoft wins 9 awards out of 23 nominations: its award-winning studios get the ultimate nod from industry peers

SAN FRANCISCO - March 5, 2004 - Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game companies, was awarded nine prestigious awards last night in Las Vegas at the 2004 Interactive Achievement Awards, including Best Console Game of the Year for its blockbuster hit Prince of Persia The Sands of Time™. Prince of Persia The Sands of Time took home more awards than any other game in the industry, including: Computer Action/Adventure Game of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in Game Design, Outstanding Achievement in Animation, Outstanding Achievement in Platform Action Adventure, Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering, Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering and Outstanding Innovation in Computer Gaming. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3 was also acknowledged as the Console First Person Action Game of the Year.

In addition to Prince of Persia and Rainbow Six 3, Beyond Good & Evil™, XIII, Uru™: Ages Beyond MYST®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell® and IL2 Sturmovik were also nominated for awards. Similar to the Academy Awards for the film industry, the awards hosted by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences are granted by members of the video game industry.

"Ubisoft has the second largest internal game development studio in the industry and we are very proud to be recognized for producing the most creative and groundbreaking games of the year," said Yves Guillemot, President and CEO, Ubisoft.

"These awards confirm our strategy of in-house development based on quality and innovation which will be taken even one step further with our new games that will be released this year. I would also like to take this opportunity to warmly thank all the talented creators who worked hard to give birth to these great products."

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Prince of Persia Takes Home the Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 12:10:38 AM »
I can't say I'm surprised by this, but I am disappointed.

People are losing sight of what games are supposed to be about these days.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Prince of Persia Takes Home the Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 12:21:25 AM »
hmm.. Well I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I don't think PoP deserved so many awards, but it certainly should have gotten some of them.  

It was developed the same way as one of Miyamoto's games for the most part.  They worked on basic gameplay concepts they wanted to integrate first, spent a long time tweaking them and working on the game map, and didn't integrate the art style or story until near the end.  I saw some of the early videos in Vegas and the game looked drastically different, but played almost exactly the same.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 01:29:57 AM »
I think it's a terrific game and deserves a lot of recognition. I assume PaLaDiN is saying that the games industry shouldn't be about picking up awards (as opposed to being about making money) so what should it be about?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline >X< Kitten >X<

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 03:43:08 AM »
This saddens me lots. I hated this game with a passion.  
MSN- vicious_child_48@hotmail.com
Add at will pplz!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 04:52:59 AM »
PoP was alright but it got too much praise really. I still regreted that  got PoP over Castlevania:Lament of Innocence.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 05:45:18 AM »
I've read in some other threads that Paladin really didn't like POP. So i guess he doesn't think it deserved anything.

I think POP was a good game but i don't think it was better than some other games like Zelda and F-Zero.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 07:27:16 AM »
PoP was a good game how ever, it wasn't the best game.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 09:46:30 AM »
I think it was very deserving, as good as any other game this year with out a doubt.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 11:48:55 AM »
Let me clarify.

At no point in PoP did I feel like I was playing a game.

All I was doing was following instructions and cursing my way through fights.

But oh well, that's just my opinion... I prefer my games to have some gameplay to them.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 02:02:50 PM »
I've got the PoP PC demo lying around.  I really should give it a try.  If I like it, I'll get the GC version.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 03:45:09 PM »
Its interesting when many of the gaming publications were handing out awards for 2k3, PoP was always nominated in almost every category. But they usually lost out to other games released earlier (though it did manage to win here and there.). My theory is that people really liked PoP, but because it came relitively late, the editors/directors just couldn't bring themselves to give it props when other good games came earlier.

Now it picks up more plaques than they know what to do with!

One could say this solidfies Ubisoft as one the top dogs. Looks like EA games is in for some stiff competition!

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 07:02:07 PM »
Geez....when is Viewtiful Joe gonna win any awards?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 05:53:56 PM »

One could say this solidfies Ubisoft as one the top dogs. Looks like EA games is in for some stiff competition!

What? EA games is rubbish, unless you consider them the top dogshitter then I wouldn't compare them with UbiSoft  
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 05:02:07 AM »
RABicle: I think he meant they might rival EA in SIZE soon enough. Either way, Everything or Nothing was supposed to be really good, so...