Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Metroid (NES) - stumped

<< < (2/8) > >>

NWR_DrewMG:
What's so unplayable about it?  I agree that it's tricky if you don't use some sort of guide to help you keep from getting lost, but that's the only thing that's even remotely unplayable about it.

I beat Metroid when I was 10, and I've beat it a dozen times since.

TJ Spyke:
Even if it's playable, the original Metroid is TERRIBLE now, to the point I would give it like a 3/10 score and urge people not to play it. Thankfully their a great re-make in Metroid: Zero Mission.

Pixelated Pixies:

--- Quote from: NWR_DrewMG on December 12, 2012, 11:52:23 AM ---What's so unplayable about it?

--- End quote ---

Areas are indistinguishable and there is no map (making it incredibly difficult to figure out where you are in relation to anything), because of how the game deals with dying you spend the first 5 - 10 minutes after any death standing at an enemy spawn point just to get your health back, the jumping (specifically when spinning in the air) is squirelly and lacks finesse, there are little to no visual cues (often resulting in random bombing of each wall and floor). I could go on.

When I use the term 'unplayable' I am of course being deliberately hyperbolic (the game is technically speaking playable because many many people have beaten it and have enjoyed it). For me though, I truely cannot play it. It's just not fun. Ultimately, that's the main barrier for me. I can look past many issues, but if a game's core gameplay isn't fun or engaging then I'm not going to keep playing it just because some people hold it in high regard.

ejamer:

NWR_DrewMG sounds dead on.

Metroid (NES) is playable and can be enjoyed, but is archaic in some ways that make it much less attractive to modern games - ie: people who have limited amounts of time to spend with a single game, and don't want to have to resort to randomly bombing all over the place to find hidden pathways.  Agree that the Zero Mission remake is an amazing update, although the handholding went a bit too far by showing the next destination on the map all the time.

tendoboy1984:
The point of adventure games is to discover secrets for yourself. The old Zelda and Metroid games were the pinnacle of this genre. It's a shame that Nintendo has resorted to "hand-holding" in their more recent games (Fi, Midna, Navi, Super Guide, unlimited 1-Ups).

Games should be challenging, but not rage-inducing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version