Community Forums > Movies & TV

Khushrenada's Annual Oscar Thread. 2024 Edition.

<< < (2/2)

Khushrenada:
And here's the list in a condensed format with none of my reasonings.

Best Picture - Oppenheimer
Best Director - Christopher Nolan
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Cillian Murphy
Best Actress in a Leading Role - Lily Gladstone
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Robert Downey Jr
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Da'Vine Joy Randolph
Best Original Screenplay - Anatomy of a Fall
Best Adapted Screenplay - American Fiction
Best International Feature - The Zone of Interest
Best Animated Feature - Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse
Best Documentary Feature: 20 Days in Mariupol
Best Original Score: Oppenheimer
Best Original Song: What Was I Made For? (Barbie)
Best Cinematography: Oppenheimer
Best Costume Design: Barbie
Best Editing: Oppenheimer
Best Make-up and Hairstyling: Poor Things
Best Production Design: Poor Things
Best Sound: The Zone of Interest
Best Visual Effects: Godzilla Minus One
Best Animated Short: War is Over!
Best Live Action Short: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Best Documentary Short: The Last Repair Shop

In the words of Wario, " Good luck.... to me! Wah hah hah haaa!"

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on March 10, 2024, 06:49:28 PM ---And here's the list in a condensed format with none of my reasonings.

Best Picture - Oppenheimer
Best Director - Christopher Nolan
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Cillian Murphy
Best Actress in a Leading Role - Lily Gladstone Emma Stone
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Robert Downey Jr
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Da'Vine Joy Randolph
Best Original Screenplay - Anatomy of a Fall
Best Adapted Screenplay - American Fiction
Best International Feature - The Zone of Interest
Best Animated Feature - Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse The Boy and The Heron
Best Documentary Feature: 20 Days in Mariupol
Best Original Score: Oppenheimer
Best Original Song: What Was I Made For? (Barbie)
Best Cinematography: Oppenheimer
Best Costume Design: Barbie Poor Things
Best Editing: Oppenheimer
Best Make-up and Hairstyling: Poor Things
Best Production Design: Poor Things
Best Sound: The Zone of Interest
Best Visual Effects: Godzilla Minus One
Best Animated Short: War is Over!
Best Live Action Short: The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Best Documentary Short: The Last Repair Shop

In the words of Wario, " Good luck.... to me! Wah hah hah haaa!"

--- End quote ---

Quick people! How did I do? The answer 20/23. A very acceptable score. I wish now I had gone with the Emma Stone choice in Best Actress. I was talking myself into it so much when doing my write up but chickened out because of some of the other risks I was taking. Still, I wasn't going to get 100% this year because I just didn't see The Boy and The Heron winning in Best Animated Feature. I knew Poor Things and Barbie were a 50/50 thing in Costume but just chose wrong there.

But never fear. With my score, I still beat the experts out there. Deadline was closest with 19/23. Indiewire had 18/23. Vulture, RogerEbert.com and GoldDerby had 17/23, AwardsWatch had 16/23 and Variety had 15/23. But, of course, the best victory was smoking my brother this year who had just 16/23. Now I too am Death, Destroyer of Oscar Pools.

ThePerm:
Lily Gladstone was great, but she didn't say much in the movie, and her lines weren't very memorable. I have not seen Poor things. Gladstone's character was integral to the plot, but she was more of a supporting role than a lead. Even if she had been shifted to supporting actress instead she still would have been beaten by Da'Vine Joy Randolph from Holdovers because she was great. I was thinking Paul Giamatti and her were gonna bang in the movie. But it wasn't that type of movie.

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: ThePerm on March 28, 2024, 04:26:44 PM ---Lily Gladstone was great, but she didn't say much in the movie, and her lines weren't very memorable. I have not seen Poor things. Gladstone's character was integral to the plot, but she was more of a supporting role than a lead. Even if she had been shifted to supporting actress instead she still would have been beaten by Da'Vine Joy Randolph from Holdovers because she was great. I was thinking Paul Giamatti and her were gonna bang in the movie. But it wasn't that type of movie.

--- End quote ---

Lily was (or seemed to be) neck and neck with Emma Stone for Best Actress. Putting her in Supporting would have meant she'd have been neck and neck with Da'Vine Joy instead but it does create a scenario in which Da'Vine may have faced more competition for the Supporting Actress Oscar as basically she won it at every awards ceremony leading up to the Oscars and it was a walk/sweep for her. If Lily is there, it might have been that it seemed like an easy slam dunk for Emma Stone to get that second win during the lead up to the Oscars. Not sure if she could have won in either category at this point but if I was voting I'd have put her ahead of Da'Vine Joy for Supporting.

Killers of the Flower Moon was an odd movie experience where partway through or closer to the end, I thought to myself I'd like to read the book this is based on because I didn't like the way the movie was handling the story and details. There were jumps in time that would leave one confused in how much time was actually passing between scenes and characters and motives that were hardly explained and left me confused about while so much time was spent on other stuff like the whole diabetes suffering. In a way, I almost saw the movie twice. I first started watching it through Apple near the end of January streaming it off Apple TV. I was bugged because as it streamed it would sometimes freeze/clip or the picture would render kind of fuzzy or less detailed at times. Then I thought I'd try downloading the movie but even the downloaded version I was watching still seemed to suffer in showing detail at times and made me wonder if it was just recorded while the person was streaming it on their end. I happened to check what was playing at the movie theatres for the first week of February because they were doing a promotion that tickets were $5.00 every Tuesday for any movie that month. I saw there was a theatre that was going to play Killers on that first Tuesday so I decided to watch the movie that way. At this point, I'd already seen the first two hours but went and saw it on the big screen. Watching those first two hours again, it just reinforced my impression that something just wasn't translating well from book to screen. Like perhaps it all made sense and seemed great because Scorcese and the writer(s?) had read the book and recognized all the details these scenes had or knew the background for or the time they were convey but couldn't see the difference for someone without that extra knowledge and how it was not always that clear.

I'll also mention that, unlike what seems to be a majority of movie critics, I feel Scorcese is overpraised and most of his works overrated. He's made some absolute classics. I'm not denying that. But on the whole, I just haven't cared for most of his stuff. I've seen 15 of the 26 films he has directed. Four of them I'd absolutely recommend to check out. Three more I'd say are pretty good / have their moments and the rest I'd all say to skip. When it comes to his 21st century work, the only one I'd absolutely recommend is The Wolf of Wall Street. The Aviator is one of the three I consider as being pretty good but part of me wonders if I should rewatch it again after almost 20 years and see if I still feel that way but there's a lot from that movie I still remember and sticks in my head. Now, I've still yet to see Shutter Island or Silence but when looking at the past 23/24 years, he's only made one really great film to me. Yet, all of his films have been highly rated and praised by critics through this current century and I just don't get it. He just seems like more of an average director to me so maybe there is a bit of bias as I might come in with more of a "hold my breath" attitude when watching something of his now but I feel my opinion is justified based on what I've seen.

ThePerm:
I just watched Poor Things(well two days ago) and it was great. I love Bella Baxter. I want Bella Baxter action figures.

Why is it Disney(Searchlight Pictures) is making the best Universal Monster movies in recent years? The Shape of Water and now Poor Things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version