Author Topic: Details Announced For Nintendo Online Service  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Details Announced For Nintendo Online Service
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

They don't want the money... yet.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44728/details-announced-for-nintendo-online-service

Nintendo has delivered details about their online service, including the US$ price and the time to jump in.

The "Nintendo Online Service" will cost $19.99 US a year ($3.99 for one month, $7.99 for 3), and its release originally tabbed for fall 2017 has now been pushed to 2018. A free version of the lobby and voice chat app will be available this summer, and the "Classic Game Selection" was shown to include Super Mario Bros. 3, Dr. Mario and Balloon Fight. No mention was made of the previous one month timeframe for the games.

The service will also offer additional eShop special offers in the annual cost.

UPDATE: Kotaku has confirmed that the monthly special download has been removed.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Details Announced For Nintendo Online Service
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
Nintendo confirmed to Kotaku that access to the library does in fact replace the one game a month thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »
The monthly game idea was profoundly stupid and I'm glad Nintendo axed that.

Still, the vagueness of the messaging is still really frustrating.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:12:18 PM »
That does sound like a much better deal. If the library is decent sized the subscription will be easily worth it regardless of weird **** like that headset contraption.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »
Damn, they rolled this out same day as the voice chat tangle uproar. Planned PR strategy or surprisingly fast and effective triage?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »
That does sound like a much better deal. If the library is decent sized the subscription will be easily worth it regardless of weird **** like that headset contraption.

The same company that sold us Earthbound for $10 isn't going to give us a big or interesting library of classic games with online multiplayer for $20 a year. Those two things do not compute.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »
Wow, what a radical departure from the Virtual Console... Who could have possibly predicted this, Insanolord?  :rolleyes:

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:55:48 AM »
That's a good price for a service where they know they're going to be playing catchup with the competition.

Also, if I imagine that what I'm really paying is $20 for an online Dr. Mario every year... then it almost seems like the online Switch gameplay is a neat bonus!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »
It depends on how they will handle the classic games. 

If the classic games rotate each month then I think this could be a problem.  It would suck to be playing an RPG then lose access to it because the month ended. 

However, if they are building the library up and each month add 2-4 new games then that is a great option. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »
They got my money, at least for the first year to try it out.

This seems like the ole' "Get the news that could be negative out before E3, so it dies down before the show" trick.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
Given the news coming out about how Nintendo is handling online, and the lack of compelling games on the console, I'm very content to not own a Switch. E3 better be spectacular if Nintendo wants that to change.
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
If they're going to force a charge, at least good-on-them for acknowledging that charging the equivalent of Sony/Microsoft is infeasible considering what's being offered between the three of them.

That said, still not enough information about their classic game library.  That, and I was never a fan of the "service like Netflix" idea.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
Any re-relesae of classic games from Nintendo always starts with Balloon Fight.  Back when the NES was current I don't recall any kid ever talking about this game and yet Nintendo treats it like one of the most iconic NES releases.  Surely by now everyone that wants Balloon Fight already has it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
I'd love an online Balloon Fight.  I'd kill for an online Tingle's Ballon Fight - which is the exact same thing, but with four players and is a *lot* of fun.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
Didn't Iwata work on Balloon Fight?  That's probably the reason.

And $20/year is a pretty easy spending decision for me.  I haven't gone online with MK8D yet, but MK8 was great, and I know I'll be playing Splatoon and possibly now ARMS.  Also Smash.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:42 PM »
I'd love an online Balloon Fight.  I'd kill for an online Tingle's Ballon Fight - which is the exact same thing, but with four players and is a *lot* of fun.

Nintendo would probably retcon 3 Tingle siblings for that game. (Please don't)

What game are they going to kick off the online service? Perfect opportunity to bring back Waverace or Pilotwings if you ask me.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
They could probably get away with a higher price, at least it isn't outrageous, but right now the online functionality doesn't appear to be better than the current and past free services. Still more details to come, though.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
Im really happy with the price

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland established that anyone can be Tingle, you just need the costume.

I hope there will be a way to actually own the games. One of the things I don't like about PlayStation Plus is that you don't actually own the games, you only get to play them while you have a PS+ subscription (wheras with Games for Gold on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, you actually own the games and can play them even if you end your subscription).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »

http://zelda.gamepedia.com/Tingle_Brothers

I don't know if there's any official word that the additional players in Tingle's Balloon Fight are definitively Tingle's brothers (And David Jr.), but that was always my assumption...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.