Author Topic: Episode 647: History is Columns  (Read 2653 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 647: History is Columns
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »

Be careful when placing your jewels.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/52186/episode-647-history-is-columns

Greg returns to us on the same day Terry Bogard comes to Smash. Coincidence, or something more?

Neither, Terry came out the day previously.

Still, Greg and James talk: Terry, SNK, Smash's future, and [REDACTED]. Guillaume has been playing a real fighting game, SNK's Garou: Mark of the Wolves. It's a really beautiful 2D sprite-based fighter that came out long after the era of 3D fighters took over. It's also Gui's introduction to SNK Boss rules. He then concludes his New Business with some light thoughts on Kero Blaster, but mostly talks about using our podcast as a historical record.

We spent entirely too long on SNK-related content, and needed a break. Jon continues New Business with a look at SEGA AGES Columns II: A Voyage Through Time. I typed out the entire name because it's hilarious and worthy of derision. And we do. For a while. James concludes New Business with his thoughts on Tokyo Dark, a spooky point-and-click for Switch.

With so much New Business we only had time for small dose of email, mostly focused on what we'd want in a Metroid 5. You can crawl into this segment by sending an email.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 647: History is Columns
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:53:47 AM »
I liked the music at the end. I had never heard the cassette version before.

Offline freezestar

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure "Words are Bad" was one of the decree's Miyamoto gave from on high when Intelligent Systems made Paper Mario Sticker Star, that and "Toads are good".

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
I guess Tetris was a voyage through space, so columns had to go through time to keep the theme going. Our go to puzzle game on the Mega Drive was Mean Bean Machine / Puyo Puyo which still holds up today unlike columns.

Words are bad
Toads are good
War is peace
Freedom is slavery