Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273737 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #975 on: May 16, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
I never expected a Nintendo fansite forum to harbor so many terrible takes on the company's platformers.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
Not expecting terrible takes from a video game forum is an odd position to hold.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
I hope the rumors are slightly off and Retro Studios next game is a Star Fox platformer. That way, more people are disappointed and I get another (probably excellent) Retro Studio developed platformer.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 16, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
I promised I wouldn't be too negative or argumentative but this narrow-minded argument that the market is over saturated by 2D platformers is pure nonsense.

Someone threw out the FPS genre and talk about over saturated. Yet somehow despite there being too many on the market the really good ones still manage to get noticed.

Also, count me among those that bought a Wii U for those 2D platformers and I enjoyed every minute of it. Not to mention most of the draw for the Switch is it being portable and home console, and yes it has many of the so called ambitious games, its still flooded with 2D retro platformers.

Aw whatever. All I know is I don't care who is making what game as long as they are fun. If Retro was making a new Metroid Prime that wouldn't automatically make it great. Also just because they are doing this doesn't automatically mean the team who is doing Metroid Prime 4 is going to suck.

Some of the best games of all time are racing games. Never mind the talk about Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing, it seems to me many of the people complaining about Retro making a racing game are the same folks who kept begging for an F-Zero all this time. So if Retro was making an F-Zero and not a Star Fox racing game would that be a good use of their time? It also seems to me, correct me if I am wrong, but Star Fox is a more current, more popular franchise whereas F-Zero was never that big of a seller to begin with. If I am not mistaken didn't even Mario Kart itself start life out as a sequel to the original F-Zero and so far I'd say that's worked out quite well for everyone.

That's my take. Either way I guess I am not that bothered by this news, or rumor. I don't pay attention to which studio is making a game anyways. It's like film studios, they're made up of a rotating team of professional artists, no guarantee past success will equal future success.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #979 on: May 16, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »

They made two AAA sequels. Then they got promoted to the major leagues with the DKC games. #Checkmate
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 17, 2018, 12:17:17 AM »
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I would absolutely appreciate a gourmet hamburger so much more if I was eating garbage fast food all week. If anything, it would stand out more than usual.
THAT GETS A JAMES JONES FROM ME, SIR
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 17, 2018, 01:57:30 AM »
I hope the rumors are slightly off and Retro Studios next game is a Star Fox platformer. That way, more people are disappointed and I get another (probably excellent) Retro Studio developed platformer.

Let's go all the way.  It should also only be controllable with motion controls.

Nintendo making multiple 2D platformers at once would not have mattered if the third party support wasn't the shits.  That's what really sets the Switch apart.  In a vacuum one company making multiple games in the same genre isn't a big deal but when that company has a responsibility to provide a varied lineup to their console that practically no one else is supporting it becomes a problem.  Why are you having multiple teams working on the same type of game when there are whole genres that are completely absent from your console?  But on the Switch (and on the NES and SNES and all the handhelds) this doesn't really matter because you can safely assume that someone else will fill the void.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 17, 2018, 02:29:16 AM »
THAT DOESN'T GET A JAMES JONES FROM ME, SIR.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 17, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
I never expected a Nintendo fansite forum to harbor so many terrible takes on the company's platformers.
That's a part of what makes this place entertaining!

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 17, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:55:29 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:52 AM »
That gets a Jon Lindemann from me, sir.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 18, 2018, 03:47:58 AM »
So I got my shiny new 400 GB SD card, but contrary to what Nintendo's web site says and despite several different attempts to get it to work I was unable to transfer things via PC, so now I'm redownloading 200 GB worth of games from the eShop. Not ideal, and it's really reinforcing how much I don't like the layout of the Switch's home screen. Having no folders or even a way to sort things in any way other than what you played most recently is making this even more of a hassle than it was already going to be.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 18, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
Buy physical.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 18, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
That's not going to happen at this point. The most recent physical games I own are early 3DS stuff. Besides, I already spent way too much on a giant SD card, so I might as well use it. I have to redownload the stuff I already bought either way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 18, 2018, 04:30:13 PM »
Why don't you want to buy physical? Is it the literal space constraints?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 18, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
The space is part of it, as well as the convenience of having everything available immediately right on the system. I've also got no real interest in being able to resell games, and games on modern systems are so dependent on patches and updates that a lot of the other benefits of physical games are diminished.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 18, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
I’m too sentimental to give up physical games yet even though I know we’re headed toward a digital future.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 18, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
The space is part of it, as well as the convenience of having everything available immediately right on the system. I've also got no real interest in being able to resell games, and games on modern systems are so dependent on patches and updates that a lot of the other benefits of physical games are diminished.
Someday when the broken as hell physical version of Bomberman R is considered a masterpiece, you'll eat your words, sir.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 21, 2018, 03:39:25 AM »
Someday when the broken as hell physical version of Bomberman R is considered a masterpiece, you'll eat your words, sir.

What is so broken about the physical version of Bomberman? Or are you referring to the un-patched version?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 21, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
The unpatched version.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 21, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
It's getting dangerously close to time for a hardware revision announcement. Any predictions on if this will take place at E3, before or later. What do you think a hardware revision might, should or probably will end up looking like?

I can't think of any major issues that need addressed. Anyone?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 21, 2018, 10:59:25 PM »
I don't think there are any glaring issues with the current hardware, and it seems to be selling pretty well right now, so I doubt we'll see it this soon. Nintendo also seems to view the system primarily as a home console, which they haven't historically pumped out that many revisions for.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 21, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »
With how they are stubbornly supporting 3DS, I think they intend to milk one last Christmas out of the little guy.

Next Spring would be the 2 year mark for the Switch and a perfect time to announce a successor to the 3DS that is also a 'Switch Lite'.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 21, 2018, 11:27:00 PM »
Do you think 400gb is going to cover you for the life of the console? I bought a 128 near launch and I'm doing okay so far, but I go physical most times there is an option.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 22, 2018, 12:53:04 AM »
It's getting dangerously close to time for a hardware revision announcement. Any predictions on if this will take place at E3, before or later. What do you think a hardware revision might, should or probably will end up looking like?
About a month ago, there was evidence of a potential Switch revision in firmware update 5.0 including references to a Tegra model number Nvidia currently does not use, a new PCB (printed circuit board), and double the RAM (from 4 GB to 8 GB). A more powerful revision is one route Nintendo could go. Stranger things have happened. This is, after all, the same Nintendo that released New 2DS last year.

3DS got the XL a little over a year after launch so it wouldn’t be surprising to get a Switch revision this year. Tatsumi Kimishima recently told investors:
Given that Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system that can be taken on the go, this situation may change if it grows from being a one-per-household system to a one-per-person system. But the price of Nintendo Switch is not something with which most parents would buy a system for every one of their children in a short period of time. Moving forward, we will work to ascertain what kinds of play people want at which price points, and as long as there is such demand, we will continue to sell the Nintendo 3DS system. I see the product coexisting with Nintendo Switch at this point in time.
The plan seems to keep the 3DS line around as an affordable alternative. That said, for Switch, I think Nintendo should aim down and get Switch’s MSRP as low as possible as soon as possible.

How? I’ve heard people toss around the idea of a portable-only Switch, but then, it can’t “switch” anymore, taking away hardware’s main gimmick. To me, what makes the most sense for Nintendo’s purposes is Lite Switch (get it?): a self-contained unit (maybe with a smaller screen?) with its own controls, compatible with but sold without Joy-Cons and the dock. Nintendo can sell that for less than $200, and it gets the company closer to the one-per-person system goal while also allowing it to let 3DS go.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:54:57 AM by Adrock »