Author Topic: WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?  (Read 21184 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:23 AM »
I made a Youtube movie of this

However I won't just be a ad for myself I'll list them below.

5. Art Style Orbient
4. Tetris party
3. No More Heroes
2. World of Goo
1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl. 

What the hell is Nintendo thinking Wii game of 2008 ?

Mario kart wii and its extreme cheap gameplay, and watered down local multiplayer 

Honorable Mention

Lost Winds , great game but only 3 hours long so I couldn't add it to top list

I really wish I had money to buy Okami, Call of duty world at war, Star Wars Force Unleashed. All those games I really wanted to play this year, but sadly I only have enough money for bills and college, so I rarely bought new games.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:03:24 AM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:07:20 AM »
SFU sucks. Don't waste a cent on it.  Actually rent it. 

Your sentiments on Mario Kart Wii are interesting and surprising and I whole heartedly disagree. For obvious reasons.

If had a "what the hell" game of the year it would be either WiiMoosic, AC, or the Balance Board. WiiMusic for overstated reasons, Animal Crossing for not change enough (even though i love it.) and the balance board needs to be sold separately already!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:23:55 AM »
5. Mario Kart Wii
4. Endless Ocean
3. World of Goo
2. Smash Brothers Brawl
1. Animal Crossing: CF (yes you read that right)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:39:04 AM »
I'm afraid I have to disagree about Mario Kart Wii... best Wii game yet. Even some of the things you didn't like about it are reasons why I like it so much. Of course, I seem to be the only person in the entire universe who thinks that Smash Brothers Melee is a far better game than Smash Brothers Brawl, so I can respect your opinions and feelings about MKWii.

Anyways, unfortunately I've played only six games released in 2008... but those games I'd rank like this:

6. Boom Blox
5. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
4. House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
3. Bomberman Blast
2. Mario Super Sluggers
1. Mario Kart Wii

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:06 AM »
1.  No More Heroes
2.  Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:15:04 AM »
In no particular order:

Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
Lost Winds
Call of Duty: World at War
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:39:25 AM »
1. Mega Man 9
2. Boom Blox
3. Lost Winds

There's a lot of games I haven't played yet... Okami, No More Heroes, World of Goo, de Blob

Also, some games I don't care for: Mario Kart & Animal Crossing (not different enough), SSB (never liked the controls)
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 03:46:43 AM »
This is tough narrowing it down to 5.So I am going to go with a top 10.
1.Tales of Symphonia:Dawn of the New World
2.Mario Kart Wii
3.Super Smash Brothers Brawl
4.No More Heroes
5.Animal Crossing:City Folk
6.World of Goo
7.Okami
8.MegaMan 9
9.Castle of Shikigami 3
10.Lost Winds
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:15:24 AM »
1. Mario Kart Wii
2. Disaster: Day of Crisis + de Blob
4. No More Heroes
5. Zack & Wiki

EDIT: Holy crap, I forgot about Disaster. List updated! But now I can't decide which I like more, Disaster or de Blob. Arg!

What the hell is Nintendo thinking Wii game of 2008 ?

Mario kart wii and its extreme cheap gameplay, and watered down local multiplayer 

So what you're basically saying is that you're a **** gamer. There's nothing cheap about MKWii (If someone even dares to mention cheap blue shell myth I will strike you down), it's only that you're not good enough to play the game well.

Also watered down local multiplayer? Another major what the hell? It's the best Mario Kart local multiplayer yet. You're obviously just playing MK64 and confusing it for MKWii or something.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:15:45 AM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:51:34 AM »
Screw top 5 I'll go for top 10

10. Tie between - Mega Man 9 and Space Invaders Get Even!
9. Wario Land Shake It!
8. De Blob
7. Dokapon Kingdom
6. No More Heroes
5. Animal Crossing City Folk
4. Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World
3. World of Goo
2. Okami
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl

Honorable mentions: Mario Kart Wii, Boom Blox and Castlevania Judgement
Biggest Disappointment: We Love Golf not catching on  and my purchase of Baroque
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:00:38 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:59:33 AM »
1. Wii Fit
2. Super Smash Brothers
3. Guitar Hero World Tour
4. Boom Blox
5. Mario Kart

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »
Man, oh man, oh man...Top 5 is TOUGH...But I'll try...

1) Okami
2) Animal Crossing City Folk
3) Mario Kart Wii
4) No More Heroes
5) Wario Land Shake

But I haven't had the time to play Dawn of the New World yet, so that could easily usurp one of those spots...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline White Mage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
5. Wii Fit
4. Mario Kart Wii
3. De Blob
2. Animal Crossing
1. Super Smash Bros.

I wanted to put Secret of Mana on there since it was released on the VC in 2008, but I figured that would be cheating.

I also haven't played No More Heroes yet, but I'm sure it would be on there.
Wii Code:  5059 7465 0039 6632
The Conduit: 1419 7264 9585
AC: City Folk 0388 2629 6780 | Name: Matthew | Town: Adatopia

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 12:10:46 PM »
Interesting how Brawl, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing haven't dominated like they would have last generation.

Third parties are taking over.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »
That's a good point ShyGuy.I have more 3rd party games than 1st party.Most of my first party library consists of Nintendo Franchises.While 3rd parties have a nice variety of games.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »
Like I said in the video I think Mario Kart Wii ruined the game.

12 players is to much, I like the blue shell but I don't getting hit by blue shell than 2 red shells and than bullet billed. I was in 1st and I got destroyed and thrown back to 8th. I don't mind if I get second or 3rd instead of 1st because of items, I do mind when the ENTIRE momentum of the game can change totally in the last second and people win because they got best weapon, not because best overall driving skills.

The local multiplayer is also ruined and that is something I enjoy the most about Mario Kart. I hate the new set up with the balloons it just seems so lame. 3 balloons and your dead, and become a Bomb, that is how it was on MK64 and it worked perfectly. Having Infinite balloons and having infinite continues changes the entire concept of balloon battle. It would be one thing if I had the option to do what I wanted, but MKWii FORCES ME TO PLAY THIS WAY.

I hate playing on Teams, I don't want my crappy team member ruining my game. I want FREE FOR ALL, damn it. I hate having the CPU in the battle with me, I don't want 8 CPU and 4 people I only want my friends.

The lack of options for the player is why MKWii is so damn terrible. Why is the option to play free for all not in the game?

I like the new levels, I like motorcycles and I even like some of the new items but they totally messed up local multiplayer. Also I mentioned the online has been ruined.

THIS VIDEO PROVES HOW RUINED ONLINE IS FOR MARIO KART Wii

So Mario Kart Wii = Crap to me. Lack of options for Local Multiplayer, Super Cheap Single player, and hacked Online = NOT WORTH MY TIME POST A RENTAL.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
5. Art Style Orbient
4. Tetris party
3. No More Heroes
2. World of Goo
1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl. 

i see this game and the great reviews but i don't get it. I guess its a game unless you play you don't get. I don't get it. I fear i will buy this game and it won't be up to greatness everyone says, or if it is great it won't be my type of game. I'm not into starcraft so it doesn't matter how many 10's it gets I don't get RTS games like that so similar to this all the great reviews can come but I don't think I will like it.

Being a college student using 80% of my money on paying down debt, 10% on dates with girls 5% on food that tiny % of extra money has to be spent on something I KNOW FOR A FACT I WILL ENJOY. So no buy for me.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
4. Mario Kart Wii
3. Warioland: Shake it!
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
1. Guitar Hero: World Tour

No, I can't even think of a fifth.  Mega Man 9 would likely be deserving but I haven't gotten round to downloading it yet (don't know why; it's not like I have to go to a store to do it).  Really lousy year for the Wii overall.  Mario Kart is only on my list because I couldn't think of much else and it wouldn't make any Best of Year lists otherwise.  It's not a terrible game but certainly not a classic in any sense.  The other three are really good games though.

SSB Brawl is really the only Wii exclusive game this year that I would say is even a remote contender for GOTY.  Surprisingly the PS3 probably had the best year after being more or less completely worthless before.  It shared a lot of it's best games with the Xbox 360 but I'd say a handful of exclusives put it over the top.  And hey those multiplatform games ain't on the Wii so it's at least half a point for the other two consoles.

Since Brawl the Wii has been more or less irrelevent from a core gamer perspective.  This year Nintendo really showed me exactly what market they're focusing on.  Thankfully the DQX announcement provides some optimism.  I really want to see what EAD, Retro and IS are working on though.  Everyone points to those October announcements but those really indicated what Nintendo's lesser teams were working on (and Treasure).  What the big guns are working on is a better indication of Nintendo's direction for 2009.

The "What the hell were they thinking?" game of this year, hell possibly of ALL TIME is Wii Music.  Bad games happen all the time but this is Nintendo and Miyamoto making a bad game and what's weird is that the game appears to be INTENTIONALLY bad.  It isn't buggy or rushed or unpolished, it sucks entirely because of the design of the game itself.  And it isn't some throwaway bargain bin title either.  This is Nintendo's biggest game for the Christmas season.  The only thing else is a port of Animal Crossing.  They only made ONE original Wii game for Christmas and it's one of the worst games of all time.  Nintendo had pissed me off with some very lame non-games in the past but even I was completely shocked with how outright dumbed-down and worthless Wii Music was.  Wii Music is Nintendo's E.T. and will be immortalized in worst game lists for all eternity.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
>.>
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »
<.<

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »
Ian shut up about Animal Crossing being a port, because it isn't. Is it a huge leap from the DS version? No but it isn't a port either. Do you even understand the meaning of the term? Also Wii Music is a quality title that is more for casual play and families.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
Like I said in the video I think Mario Kart Wii ruined the game.

12 players is to much, I like the blue shell but I don't getting hit by blue shell than 2 red shells and than bullet billed. I was in 1st and I got destroyed and thrown back to 8th. I don't mind if I get second or 3rd instead of 1st because of items, I do mind when the ENTIRE momentum of the game can change totally in the last second and people win because they got best weapon, not because best overall driving skills.

The local multiplayer is also ruined and that is something I enjoy the most about Mario Kart. I hate the new set up with the balloons it just seems so lame. 3 balloons and your dead, and become a Bomb, that is how it was on MK64 and it worked perfectly. Having Infinite balloons and having infinite continues changes the entire concept of balloon battle. It would be one thing if I had the option to do what I wanted, but MKWii FORCES ME TO PLAY THIS WAY.

I hate playing on Teams, I don't want my crappy team member ruining my game. I want FREE FOR ALL, damn it. I hate having the CPU in the battle with me, I don't want 8 CPU and 4 people I only want my friends.

The lack of options for the player is why MKWii is so damn terrible. Why is the option to play free for all not in the game?

I like the new levels, I like motorcycles and I even like some of the new items but they totally messed up local multiplayer. Also I mentioned the online has been ruined.

THIS VIDEO PROVES HOW RUINED ONLINE IS FOR MARIO KART Wii

So Mario Kart Wii = Crap to me. Lack of options for Local Multiplayer, Super Cheap Single player, and hacked Online = NOT WORTH MY TIME POST A RENTAL.

Were you drunk?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »
I guess overall Super Mario Galaxy, I might have enjoyed that much. Not sure, I usually remember games how I left them and I usually leave them when I no longer like them. I remember not wanting to play de Blob because levels take too long to play so I didn't want to even start them (Xenosaga syndrome, "who knows how far it is to the next save point, better don't even start"). Might have liked Zack & Wiki's start but the game really went into freefall with Barbaros' revival and I couldn't be arsed to continue if everything looks like I've made it past the good parts already. Sonic started nicely, not sure how it holds up when you play more because I only played a few missions...

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »
If I hear one more person call Wii Music a bad game I'm going to smack them. The game isn't bad, it just isn't for you. If you're a musician, guess what it's worthless because all of the concepts that make the game magical are commonplace for you.

If you aren't a musician or musically inclined the game teaches you the staples of music composition. It's something that's meant to be played in a group, probably more specifically, with family.

Just because a bunch of stupid game journalists are too HARDCORE for the game, doesn't mean it's bad, it means they're ignorant.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:00:50 PM by Mr. Jack »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 02:00:02 PM »
Ian shut up about Animal Crossing being a port, because it isn't. Is it a huge leap from the DS version? No but it isn't a port either.

Should I use "enhanced remake"?  "Special edition"?  "Director's cut"?  "Wii-make"?  What term for releasing essentially the same game with a few new features would you prefer I use?

The FACT is Animal Crossing: City Folk is mostly recycled content from the other Animal Crossing games which means port.  There's more pre-existing content than new.  You can argue the technical definition of "port" all you want but you know I mean it to mean some variation of a re-release.  Nintendo designed the game for the blue ocean market that had not played the game on the Cube or DS.  It is no different then the Wii-makes Nintendo has on tap for next year.

This reminds me a lot of WarioWare for the Gamecube which lifts the single player mode from the GBA game.  Calling that a port got some people riled up too.

If a Nintendo released a new Mario Kart that was Mario Kart Wii with one new circuit of tracks would that be considered a new game?

The game isn't bad, it just isn't for you.

Ah, so Wii Music is the Twisp and Catsby of videogames. ;)