Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the 3DS at this point?  (Read 11510 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts on the 3DS at this point?
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »
I plan to get Samus Returns and Pokemon Ultra Sun but otherwise the 3DS is mostly done for as far as new purchases are concerned. It's obviously on it's way out and there isn't much left on the system that I'm interested in that I don't already own besides Dragon Quest 7.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on the 3DS at this point?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »
I think the 3DS has my favorite software library of any system ever, especially now that it has a proper Metroid game. From Nintendo's big franchises to quirky indie stuff, 3DS has an amazing selection. I'll keep mine around forever to keep going back to some of my favorites.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »
Looking at my little library of portable games and hardware has led to several conclusions:

(1)  I prefer the DS generation to what we've received on 3DS. A big part of that is DS winning the battle of "most/best RPGs", although I find it has many smaller, quirky games that also appealed to me greatly.

(2)  Downloaded titles are much less valuable to me than retail ones. I "own" a large number of 3DS, but can't currently play them because the hardware they are locked to is broken. There hasn't been a rush to replace it because my kids have a 3DS that can be used, and only a handful of my downloaded games are ones I care about.

(3) Numbers are deceiving. For DS, the games I don't care about are sold or traded away - so the size of my collection correlates directly to the number of games I enjoy. With 3DS, I own many more games when you count digital... but that's a factor of never being able to purge those games or trade them for something else.

(4) Build quality has been disappointing for 3DS hardware. I've owned two separate 3DS units, both broke over time with normal (fairly heavy) usage. My DS lite is still going strong though. Nintendo also never seemed to figure out how to prevent scratches on the upper screen with the various 3D versions, which is ridiculous.

Those observations might seem negative... but the fact that 3DS is fully backwards compatible still makes it my favorite portable system ever. Sure, DS games have different resolution and look better on original units - but that doesn't bug me.

Also, even though I don't always use it when playing I do really like the 3D gimmick in games. That's why I'm kind of bummed that all reports suggest the "New 2DS XL" (what a name!) is probably the best hardware build to pick up.

Hmm... I've been trying to say something positive, and it keeps coming out as mixed praise at best.
Maybe that's the real statement I have about the 3DS generation.   ;)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
The 3DS is keeping me from buying a Switch or PS4 or anything from the current generation.  I'm perfectly content to just continue to get games for it and it's still getting games into 2018.  So that will give me some time to see if the current consoles end up dropping in price at all and it also lets me see the lay of the land.  The PS4 was attracting my interest but now the Switch is stealing the spotlight.  Odds are the Switch will be my choice but a year ago that wasn't the case and if the 3DS didn't keep on chugging I probably would have gone with a PS4.

With the 3DS I have almost exclusively stuck with RPGs.  So no Zelda: Link Between Worlds, no Super Mario 3D Land, no Metroid (thus far).  That sounds ridiculous for a Nintendo fan but I've found that I don't do well with action focused games on handhelds.  I tend to involuntarily move the controller around a lot during tense gameplay and when the screen is attached to the controller that's visually disorienting.  I had trouble getting into the GBA until the Game Boy Player came out and never was very happy with the DS.  So with the 3DS I made a conscious effort to only get games that I know I'll hold still with which ends up being RPGs.

But I don't feel I've missed out at all!  The 3DS is a wonderful system for the genre so I have played tons of great games.  And I've now got a new appreciation for the DS because, frankly, I was playing the wrong games for it.  Now that I've played its RPGs and visual novels (Phoenix Wright, 999, etc.) I have a new appreciation for that system.  It's a much better system than I gave it credit for, I just shouldn't have been wasting my time with high profile titles I didn't like much like NSMB and Phantom Hourglass.  As I've gotten older I feel like I can skip Mario or Zelda games and when I was younger that was unfathomable.  No, I don't have to play all the big stuff - I can be content playing less games but sticking to stuff that really interests me.  I guess it's not specifically a 3DS thing but more of a change in approach as I've gotten older.

Now if someone was new to games and asked me what game system they should buy, the New 3DS (I don't have a "New" one but it's clearly the way to go for a newcomer) would be one of my top considerations since that can play so many great games, covering a lot of different styles and genres as well.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
I just posted about this in the Metroid thread, but I'm just fed up with the 3DS design. The nub was painful for my thumb and the modded PSP nub is just too loose for long play sessions. The system is sorely in need of an update, and frankly I'm disappointed they didn't upgrade the nub in the recent 2DS XL models. I'd have bought it again if it included a second full circle pad like on a circle pad pro.

Might even dive into modding to swap out the nub for another circle pad.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:05:59 PM »
The 3DS is a good system, though I would gladly trade the 3D for higher resolution. I don't use the 3D much, and I feel the low-res screens are the main area where the system is showing its age.

Like ejamer said, the build quality was lacking, at least for the original model which felt like a cheap prototype. I haven't had any issues with my XL, so that model is a lot better and seems fine. The placement of the Start and Select buttons is still poor, but that's about the only negative I can say about it.

Software-wise, I enjoy both the game library and the apps. StreetPass was a fun novelty, and I also like to browse the Activity Log now and then. While the original DS probably has more good games overall, the 3DS may have more great games, so it's tough to say which is better. Though, the two systems kind of blend together for me since I didn't have a DS, so 3DS has been great in that it's also allowed me to experience the DS library. I think I do like 3DS more than Wii U though. I at least have more playtime on 3DS.

There are still plenty more 3DS games I plan to play and buy, so I'll still be playing the system for years to come. I may need to get a NEW 3DS at some point, simply because my current system will probably wear out from use. Though currently, it still works fine.

My current top ten would probably look like this, though it's definitely subject to change as I play more games:

1. Luigi's Mansion 2
2. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
3. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
4. Fantasy Life
5. Fire Emblem Awakening
6. Puzzle & Dragons Z / Super Mario Bros. Edition
7. Dragon Quest VII
8. Super Mario 3D Land
9. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
10. Bravely Default

It's a much better system than I gave it credit for, I just shouldn't have been wasting my time with high profile titles I didn't like much like NSMB and Phantom Hourglass.
I wonder what would happen if you gave the Wii the same benefit...

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:04:47 AM »
I always have and always will love the 3DS. I still use mine often. Im currently playing Pilotwings Resort on it. I wish I had bought that at launch, instead of just a few weeks ago. The game is great.

I also still want to get Miitopia, Samus Returns and Sushi Striker for it. So my 3DS still have life left.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »
I think the 3DS has my favorite software library of any system ever, especially now that it has a proper Metroid game. From Nintendo's big franchises to quirky indie stuff, 3DS has an amazing selection. I'll keep mine around forever to keep going back to some of my favorites.

This is my main thought as well. Had great support from Nintendo, third parties, had digital-exclusive games to further bolster its library, and gave me thousands of hours of playtime. I still have more games that are on my shelf that I need to still play!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline rvbykyle

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 02:40:39 AM »
With the release of Pokemon Ultra Sun, I think 3DS is over for Pokemon fans like me. We will only wait for event Pokemon distribution and also using Online features to battle and trade. In terms of new purchases I doubt it'll be as good as before.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »
I just posted about this in the Metroid thread, but I'm just fed up with the 3DS design. The nub was painful for my thumb and the modded PSP nub is just too loose for long play sessions. The system is sorely in need of an update, and frankly I'm disappointed they didn't upgrade the nub in the recent 2DS XL models. I'd have bought it again if it included a second full circle pad like on a circle pad pro.

Might even dive into modding to swap out the nub for another circle pad.
Mine has been pretty heavily worked with compared to any other handheld I own. I have a circle pad cover, the PSP c-stick I mod, a OG 3DS telescoping stylus, and as the real star of the show, the Monster Hunter Double Cross 3DS grip. Here's a good representation of the end result.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Despite it's faults though I consider the New 3DS XL to be the pinnacle of the entire DS line. With the exception of the SD card slot all of it's little ports, cameras, and sliders are perfectly placed, it's built in speakers are amazing, the face buttons are a perfect size and really well spaced, The D-pad is amazing, and having the Circle Pad Pro's inputs built in, despite the their issues (The ZL and ZR buttons are smaller than the home button and the default C-stick is a joke) is a godsend for someone like me who would have never purchased a Circle Pad Pro and thus never gotten to play games like Monster Hunter 4U and Nano Assault EX.

The large screens on the XL system allows it to handily run Pixel perfect mode on DS and Virtual Console games and  Super stable 3D is really impressive, especially in games that make strong use of the 3D effect already (Kid Icarus Uprising has an incredible 3D effect that you can only really see with super stable 3D because of that games controls.

The new 3DS XL is really close to perfection and that makes it's faults all the more glaring, especially the C-stick and that stubby little stylus but it also caused me to strive to remove those shortcomings.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
I really do want to get a New 3DSXL, as my old 3DSXL is showing its age in a number of ways. But, the system itself, in addition to the MicroSD I would have to get with it, are holding me back.

In terms of software, the obvious and often-discounted fact is that, with backwards compatibility in mind, the 3DS has one of the best libraries ever. Even without that, however, I still believe the library on 3DS is absolutely fantastic, bolstered by an amazing indie/eShop scene. The quality of games on the system is absurd.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
I really do want to get a New 3DSXL, as my old 3DSXL is showing its age in a number of ways. But, the system itself, in addition to the MicroSD I would have to get with it, are holding me back.

In terms of software, the obvious and often-discounted fact is that, with backwards compatibility in mind, the 3DS has one of the best libraries ever. Even without that, however, I still believe the library on 3DS is absolutely fantastic, bolstered by an amazing indie/eShop scene. The quality of games on the system is absurd.
My sister got a 2DS recently so it's very likely I'm just going to give her some DS/3DS games for Christmas/Birthday presents because there is so much on those systems I know she'll absolutely adore, it's ridiculous. She basically went from the most difficult family member to buy presents for to the easiest with that move alone, it's amazing.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
Have a pretty healthy backlog of 3DS/DS titles so I don't really need anything new on it but there are a few titles floating around that I've been considering.

Honestly, I should be playing it more. Not getting another Monster Hunter until I at least finish the caravan quests in MH4U.
Mission...complete?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
So I think I'm becoming a bit obsessed with finding a better alternative to the PSP nup, since it tends to come free from time to time, and I don't want to glue it in for a number of reasons.

I stumbled upon some mods for the circle pad pro, and I am thinking of doing something similar so that it can fit my New 3DS XL. A bit of cutting and sanding, and adding some nice magnet backs from those dashboard phone mounts and I could have a winner on my hands. the CPP XL is pretty cheap so if I destroy it I could at least replace it for my OG 3DS XL.

It would reduce the "portability", but honestly, I already never carry it around, and am doing this as a way to enjoy Monster Hunter on the 3DS while I pine for them to make one for the bloody Switch.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 01:15:17 AM »
I remember the first PSP nub I used had issues with falling out but I switched to the second one (I got them as a 3 pack) and it's stayed in there ever since.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »
I am seriously contemplating getting a 3DS of some sort once I get back to work. Super Mario Odyssey is my first priority then I plan on getting some sort of 3DS. I am just not sure which one to get at this point, there's too many choices.

I am mostly wanting that Kirby game and some more Mario stuff but there's so much else it's overwhelming. I do know whichever one I get will have to be one of the XL models. I have a GBA and I can't stand playing games on that thing for very long.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
I am seriously contemplating getting a 3DS of some sort once I get back to work. Super Mario Odyssey is my first priority then I plan on getting some sort of 3DS. I am just not sure which one to get at this point, there's too many choices.

I am mostly wanting that Kirby game and some more Mario stuff but there's so much else it's overwhelming. I do know whichever one I get will have to be one of the XL models. I have a GBA and I can't stand playing games on that thing for very long.
Depending on how much you care about Amiibo and/or 3D, I would recommend a New 2DS XL or 3DS XL, the former having no 3D but Amiibo and *XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3D SUPPORT* while the latter has 3D and no Amiibo or *XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3D SUPPORT*.

Despite loving the 3DS library, I actually hate the number of iterations the system has.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
Do stores still have any non-NEW 3DS models?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 10:16:13 PM »
My local haunts stock only 2DS variants at this point: New or original.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 04:59:58 AM »
There's no reason to get an old 3DS XL at this point when the new 2DS XL and new 3DS XL both exist.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
There's no reason to get an old 3DS XL at this point when the new 2DS XL and new 3DS XL both exist.

Except for cost.  New 2DS XL is $200+tax, which is awfully high for an entry level system.

That said, despite "official confirmations" from Nintendo that 3DS support will continue for the time being, it's becoming pretty obvious from what stores are stocking that such statements are lip service at best. The handheld console is on the way out, and the closest replacement is way outside of my budget...
NNID: ejamer