Author Topic: Biggest wastes of money video game-wise for you?  (Read 7426 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Biggest wastes of money video game-wise for you?
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:23:03 PM »
I figure most of us do an adequate amount of research when we buy games and video game consoles, but sometimes we may fall victim to the hype and get disappointed. We may even find ourselves hating a game or console we buy and curse the heavens for our misfortune.

For me, buying The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Xbox 360 was my greatest failure at buying a game I thought I might like. The game was so aimless and lacking structure, and the world itself was so sterile and empty. These factors added up to making for a game I highly regretted buying. It was a case where I fell for the hype and got burned.

What about you?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest wastes of money video game-wise for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »
For a while, it would have been Wii U after buying when the Basic model hit $200... but there have been enough good games now to justify the price, and even though I probably could have gotten the Deluxe model a year or two later for the same price I'm pretty happy in the end.

I think the biggest waste of money I've seen with video games is trading in used games. The money recouped is almost certainly less than what I've spent re-buying later.  Somehow I don't think that's what you are looking for.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:43 PM »
I bought both MadWorld and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor day one for the full $50 and still haven't played either of them even once.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
I put hope in a COD game once in my life and regret it.

$110
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:19:11 PM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
Wii U.

3DS before the price drop. As Ian Sane would say, I was one of those poor rubes who got conned into paying a higher price.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
I felt really ripped off when the GBA SP came out.  Not that I wasn't happy with the GBA but the screen on the original model really was terrible in bad lighting.  When the SP was announced it felt like Nintendo was addressing a flaw that should not have made it to the released product in the first place and was charging me full price for the "privilege" to fix it.  Thankfully the GB Player came out around the same time so I got that to address the lighting issue instead and it was much cheaper and a product I would have bought anyway.  Nintendo inadvertently taught me a lesson with that - never buy the first model of a Nintendo handheld.  So I got a 3DS XL... and then they released yet another model in the New 3DS.  Can't win.

Star Fox Adventures and Metroid: Other M are two games I bought new that were an absolute chore to play.  Wouldn't pay one dollar for either of them if I did it all over again.

Oddly enough the one game that makes me really mad when I think about buying it is NBA Hangtime for the SNES which I got for like $3.  Yeah, it was only three bucks and yet I felt ripped off.  Being a big NBA Jam fan I figured this would be the best version of the game on the SNES.  Nope.  It's just utter trash.  The visuals looked like they were Xeroxed from the N64 game and the idiots that made it even REVERSED the pass and shoot buttons from the first game!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
I'm not sure you can really be surprised that Nintendo iterates on their handhelds at this point. Maybe with the SP, maybe, becauese the pattern wasn't 100% clear yet, but you had to know there was going to be another version of the 3DS after the XL.

J.P. Corbran

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
I am very careful and don't usually buy "risky" games or accesrories these days, so I'd have to go back to the N64/GB era.

The GameBoy N64 transfer Pak - used it for one game (Poke Stadium) for a few weeks.
The GameBoy Printer - ditto. I don't even know where it is these days.
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
I bought both MadWorld and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor day one for the full $50 and still haven't played either of them even once.

I bought BlastWorks (Wii) just before the quick and precipitous price drop.
However, since I played the heck out of that game (including spending time with both the level editor and numerous Kenta Cho unlockables) I didn't feel so bad.

It still blows my mind how cheap Sin & Punishment ended up getting. Despite being a really cool game, Nintendo apparently couldn't even give it away.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
Sin and Punishment Star Successor is the greatest rail shooter of all time.  Anyone that payed $50 should be honored they did so.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 11:36:38 PM »
I paid $40 for Metroid Other M, traded it for $35 (effectively Dragon Quest VI) and still feel like I got ripped off.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
I paid around 60 for the Bravely Default Collector's edition and I will never forgive myself for it. Huge box, barely anything in it. What was there wasn't worth it aside from the art book.

I also purchased Fantasy Life after a recommendation from a friend and I am not happy about being unable to trade it in.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:28:26 AM »
Waste of money, sure I used to be a die hard SEGA fan, just about everything those fools made was a waste of damn money. I had a Saturn, Sega CD, and a 32X, there is your waste of money. Except the Genesis one of the greatest game consoles ever made.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
The $60 each I paid for Resonance of Fate & Skyrim PS3. Seriously, **** those games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »

I also purchased Fantasy Life after a recommendation from a friend and I am not happy about being unable to trade it in.

Why can't you trade it in?  Digital purchase, or is there some other reason?

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Bloodworth agreed to sell me the PlanetGameCube forums for $50.00 so I took him up on it and then the forums got shut down and replaced with the Nintendo World Report forums. Good thing I used 7-11 big bucks to pay him but I can't help but feel regret at the 40 or so slurpees I could have had while gaming.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
I bought an absurd amount of Wii games at full price that I barely played. I've done much better since. I buy most games on sale and I actually play them now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
During the recent PSN flash sale I ended up wasting a $1 on Game of Thrones, when I purchased it I assumed it was the Telltale game instead I ended up with one published by Atlus.  Spent hours downloading the damn thing and was so excited when it finished--then bam, the biggest disappointed guy ever. 

The good news is I'm not the only idiot that bought that version :(/

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
I owned an original 360 for about six months in its first year and a half or so. I was primarily excited about Perfect Dark Zero, as at that point the first game was one of my all-time faves. Then that game was terrible, as was most everything on the console for a good long time (I also couldn't stand Oblivion). And the 360 also RRODed. I had it repaired for free and sold it at a 20% or so loss. So that whole process was lame, but the worst element of that episode was buying Dead Rising launch week at full price because, you see, Dawn of the Dead was/is one of my favorite horror movies. I couldn't make it more than four hours into that frustrating mess of a game, and also couldn't read any of the on-screen text because I didn't have an HDTV.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
We had a launch 360, too, but unlike your experience with PDZ, I really enjoyed it for what it was. I LOVED the multiplayer. The whole was a mockery compared to the N64 and later XBLA classic, but it was a fun game for, again, what it was.

Our 360 died via RRoD, too. :(
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
For a while my PS3, which I bought in the fall of 2009 after they dropped the price, could have been considered a waste of money, but a few years later I started to really get into it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
Also, my PSP. I only played a few games on it then my brother bricked it when he tried to hack it himself.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
For a while my PS3, which I bought in the fall of 2009 after they dropped the price, could have been considered a waste of money, but a few years later I started to really get into it.

PS3 had a rough start. Not a good system to be an early adopter, but ended up pretty awesome...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
I don't think you could call buying one in 2009 being an early adopter. It was three years old at that point, and half the price it launched at.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »

Same boat.  Initially it seemed like a questionable purchase.  The Wii wasn't cutting it so I was hoping it would fill the void.  It did but it took a while and I think part of it is that I really do like Nintendo games the most and here I was "switching teams" to where there wasn't anything exactly like Nintendo.  It took a few years before I found stuff that connected with me the way Nintendo games have.  Not like they're the sort of games Nintendo would make but more that I just like them the same way.  I had to find the third party games I would buy if they were on a Nintendo console.  Rocksmith and the Mass Effect Trilogy (hey part 3 is on a Nintendo console! lol) were what really did it.