Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 664121 times)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Rumors and Speculation Thread (Mighty Switch Force Edition)
« Reply #2450 on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »

Of course, that wouldn't solve the problem of ickiness if the player undocks the Switch in the middle of a 32GB transfer. But I feel like that ickiness is less than the ickiness of no HDD at all.

I dismissed this rumor on first read because it just sounds too counter-intuitive, but the above quoted, hrm, that does indeed seem like something Nintendo would be inordinately concerned about.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 27, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
So I know multi-touch capacitive touchscreen hasn't been confirmed yet, but if it's indeed there do we expect Nintendo to try to do a "Mobile Framework" initiative (akin to the Wii U Web Framework) to try to make porting from Smartphone platforms easier? Well, maybe with Unity and Unreal Engine 4 supported front and center a dedicated Mobile Framework porting technology isn't as necessary, but I wonder if they're going to make any concerted outreach to those devs directly, or reach out to them with the tact of "your Unity/Unreal game engine already supports Switch, so...".
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 27, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
There have been rumors of Android being there in some sense for a long time.  Not the Play Store, of course, but something more like the Amazon Fire app store.  It seems like a stretch, but Nintendo has been getting out of their comfort zone since Iwata changed gears a few years ago.  It would make ports very simple -- even better if GPS is included.  With that said, I don't think there are any cameras (?), so the obvious Pokemon Go wouldn't be as interesting.

Support for mobile games within the Nintendo ecosystem could be huge, as long as they don't make the hurdles too high for publishers.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:24 PM »
Eurogamer: Switch Has A Multitouch Display; Right Joycon Has IR Sensor.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen

A number of sources, including those who informed me of the Switch's design and detachable controllers back in July, have all confirmed other capabilities which Nintendo is currently keeping quiet.

Let's start with the Nintendo Switch's screen. It is 6.2" in size, 720p and - for the first time in any Nintendo device - boasts a capacitive multi-touch screen.
So, how will the touchscreen work when the Switch is docked? While connected to your TV the Switch itself is out of reach - you play either with both JoyCon controllers attached to the system's grip or with a Pro Controller. The Switch's touchscreen is almost entirely obscured within the console's dock.

The answer may lie hidden in the right-hand JoyCon, which houses a short-range IR sensor in its base. This could be used to point at the TV to replicate basic touchscreen functionality, picked up by a corresponding IR sensor in the docked Switch.

Given that these sources include the one that was spot on, I think these rumors are all but confirmed. And if they're true, then it's possible to have 3DS backwards compatibility. The only thing needed to allow Wii/U compatibility is a gyroscope or accelerometer.

If Nintendo wants to start a subscription service that allows you to play their entire backlog, like people have speculated, it makes sense to support the control style for all their games, whether within the system already or with the actual old controllers.

Others have speculated that the system may run a similar OS to android, and thus might allow Andriod games to be played. Having a 10-point multitouch screen certainly allows it, but unless Nintendo receives some money per download, I don't think Nintendo would allow it. If it runs Andriod OS, though, it'll be an interesting piece of hardware to jailbreak.

Finally, I loved House of the Dead on the Wii. It's hilarious to play with a friend. The action, the dialogue, the bosses; it's a solid game. It's unfortunate, due to the left Joycon apparently not having an IR sensor, that if a game came out similar to HOTD I can't play it on the system out of the box. I'd have loved to talk my neighbor on a flight to join me in killing some zombies.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:08:14 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 27, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »
Even if they can replicate touch controls through pointer functionality, it would still be difficult to do 3DS backwards compatibility without a true second screen wouldn't it? I think they'd wait until they come out with a revision and push it as a reason for people to double dip, but that seems kinda un-Nintendo. I do hope they eventually find some way to use the 3DS/Wii U library though.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 27, 2016, 11:35:21 PM »

I was using the assumption that you wouldn't play it on the TV. With a bracket like this mock-up, you could be able to dock the system vertically. This would allow you to play 3/DS games or have a better portrait for games like space shooters, pinball, etc.

The only problem is you couldn't access the headphone jack.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2456 on: October 28, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »
The AR sensor in one controller is a great idea, but they need/should put it in both.  With full Wii mote Motion + support. 

I guess it is possible that if Nintendo puts the Gyros in the controllers and not the system then it could save motion controls and save money.  Sure it means you can't play with tilt controls without the joypads being connected, but do you really need to?

I just hope the device has a camera on the back and front.  Also it would be interesting to have a game where one person is holding the switch and other people are trying to shoot the screen.  Yeah it would end up in the switch breaking, but it could be fun.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 28, 2016, 12:10:47 AM »
Even if they can replicate touch controls through pointer functionality, it would still be difficult to do 3DS backwards compatibility without a true second screen wouldn't it? I think they'd wait until they come out with a revision and push it as a reason for people to double dip, but that seems kinda un-Nintendo. I do hope they eventually find some way to use the 3DS/Wii U library though.

They would have to offer a few different options for 3DS mode. Fact is, most DS and 3DS games do not make extensive use of both screens. One screen is almost always a map or an inventory while the other is the main screen. The solution in the case of these games is to let the user alternate between which screen is visible. If the user wants both screens visible, then show both with one as primary and the other as a smaller secondary (screen in screen style). Point is, the DS/3DS two screens is not impossible to handle on one single high resolution screen. Totally doable!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 28, 2016, 12:13:20 AM »
Man, all those crazy configurations...

Switch looks is gonna be LEGO/Transformer style console where you're constantly take it apart and put it together in every which way.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 28, 2016, 12:17:23 AM »
Reminds me of the dead Google Project Ara phone, where you could swap out parts to upgrade your phone. Going on a hike? Plug in the advanced camera! Too bad it got killed.

https://atap.google.com/ara/

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:19:22 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Parallax Scroll

• View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: October 28, 2016, 02:07:23 AM »
Interesting conversation, rumor / speculation over on NeoGAF about the Tegra SoC for Switch.
Some of that posted below.

Before I post it though, keep the following in mind regarding Nvidia's names for different generations of Tegra processors, to help avoid confusion!

"Kal-El" - Tegra 3
"Wayne" - Tegra 4
"Logan" - Tegra K1 (Nvidia Kepler architecture)
"Erista" - Tegra X1 (Nvidia Maxwell architecture)
"Parker" - Tegra ?? (Nvidia Pascal architecture) Not officially Tegra X2 but everyone calls it X2.
"Xavier" - next gen Tegra SoC. (will use Nvidia's Volta architecture). Nvidia won't even start sampling this chip until late 2017, therefore Xavier obviously won't show up in products until sometime in 2018, most likely.

With that out of the way, here's that NeoGAF conversation:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221751839&postcount=1792
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297136&page=36

http://www.gamespodcast.de/2016/10/23/runde-81-ft-teut-weidemann-nintendo-switch/

The following information comes from Teut Weidemann, one of the first German professional game developers. He worked at Rainbow Arts, Microsoft USA, cdv Software Entertainment, Ubisoft and more. It does not seem that Mr. Weidemann is working on the Switch himself, but he is in contact with devs that have dev kits.

* Switch screen is a touchscreen that supports up to 10 points of interaction
* current dev kits are running on older hardware specs
* Switch may be based on the new Tegra X2, which is quite a jump from the X1

[strong]Cool, another source suggesting Pascal. And I'm gonna assume when he says Tegra X2 he means Parker.[/strong] Going from a base Parker chip, what are the likeliest modifications we're going to see? I've read before that Denver cores have no business being on a console, so I imagine they'd go.

Another source calling it X2, however, I can understand why they would. The Tegra Parker was made for auto-driving cars, ergo it's name (IT'S A CAR PUN!). So calling it X2 makes more sense, but it's probably the exact same thing as the Parker, albeit with custom assets for the Switch (more focus on GPU than CPU functions maybe?).

[strong]It's actually named Parker after Peter Parker. The X1 was Erista (Wolverine) and the next one will be called Xavier.[/strong]

Nvidia have been using superhero codenames since Tegra 3/Kal-El.

"Worst" case scenario is it X1 as base with heavy customization, maybe that's why some devs are saying it's probably closer to X2, which wouldn't be a surprise since Nintendo went all out including active cooling, something I never thought they'd include.

he main issue with X1 is that it uses the 20nm fab process which is pretty much obsolete with everybody skipping it and go for 16nm.

Parker itself (the current official name for X2) gets 750GFlops in FP32, 1.5TFlops in FP16. It's unknown exactly how much game code can be FP16 (and it would vary wildly game to game), but speculation puts us at somewhere between 20%-50% being possible in FP16. I don't think that translates exactly to up to 1.12TFlops, but it should perform a decent amount better than the 750 number indicates.

Nice so we could be looking at something quite close to XB1 which is 1.3TF right?

In pure flops? No, that would be unlikely. It's possible in this type of form factor but it's likely too expensive for what Nintendo wants to charge.

But Nvidia typically has better tools and software that end up getting better performance out of their hardware, at least on PC (which is apparently where we get the whole "Nvidia flops are better than AMD flops). We don't know if that will be the case on a console though.

So we really don't know what the real world performance will be, but it's likely much closer to XB1 than Wii U.

I think it will be fully custom and probably better than parker to be honest. With some of the things they learned building Xavier.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 29, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the breakdown Parallax, really helped when reading the quoted convos. Has be very excited for how it will turn out graphically.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: November 03, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
Laura Kate Dale is reporting March 17 could be the Switch launch day in PAL regions. She says Switch won't be a same-day worldwide release, but will be in stores during that same week.

If it's true I'm guessing either March 12 or 19 would be the NA release date.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: November 03, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
It looks like we could be getting to breathe some wild soon.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: November 03, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
The 17th would be nice, but Im still guessing the 31st for Australia

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2465 on: November 03, 2016, 06:08:08 PM »
Laura Kate Dale is reporting March 17 could be the Switch launch day in PAL regions. She says Switch won't be a same-day worldwide release, but will be in stores during that same week.

If it's true I'm guessing either March 12 or 19 would be the NA release date.

More likely:
NA / Europe March 17
Japan / Australia March 18
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: November 03, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
Given its proximity to St. Pats/5th Ave, that would make for an interesting scene at the Nintendo Store.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: November 03, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
Dress as Luigi for St. Patty's day. Get drunk on Switch.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: November 04, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
Yeah. I'm wondering, what are the rumored USB ports on he dock for if not an external HDD? And while an external HDD obviously wouldn't work magically with the Switch's portable nature, if the Switch OS and Dock provided some sort of straightforward loading/unloading functionality that'd make things smoother.

The lack of a Fridge, even one at home on the dock, would have an immensely jarring effect on my rat-pack must-buy-all-eShop mentality.

Of course, that wouldn't solve the problem of ickiness if the player undocks the Switch in the middle of a 32GB transfer. But I feel like that ickiness is less than the ickiness of no HDD at all.

ALSO Nintendo is losing out on MAJOR profits from having a branded external HDD they can sell at a branded-markup.

I just checked and there ARE 512 GB SD Cards, and 256 GB Micro SD Cards. I'm no longer concerned about a hard drive, just whether the switch and its OS are built to take advantage of the latest in SD card tech.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: November 04, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »
Yeah. I'm wondering, what are the rumored USB ports on he dock for if not an external HDD? And while an external HDD obviously wouldn't work magically with the Switch's portable nature, if the Switch OS and Dock provided some sort of straightforward loading/unloading functionality that'd make things smoother.

The lack of a Fridge, even one at home on the dock, would have an immensely jarring effect on my rat-pack must-buy-all-eShop mentality.

ALSO Nintendo is losing out on MAJOR profits from having a branded external HDD they can sell at a branded-markup.

I just checked and there ARE 512 GB SD Cards, and 256 GB Micro SD Cards. I'm no longer concerned about a hard drive, just whether the switch and its OS are built to take advantage of the latest in SD card tech.

where have you been when I was linking to them... they are relatively cheap too....
[well... this is about 128GB mSD - Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Release Discussion (March 2017)but I was also chanting for dual SD card slots so we could double up.
prices on 256 mSD's will be down in about a years time, then we can double up on those as well ;)]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:05:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: November 04, 2016, 11:40:20 PM »
I wonder how big of a hand nvidia has put into this? 500 man years and an OS sounds like this thing will be more than nifty.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: November 06, 2016, 04:57:03 AM »
That new post on the nvidia website makes it sound like they have done a lot of work on it

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: November 06, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
There aren't any "rumored" USB ports on the dock, there are USB ports. Clearly shown in the video with "USB" etched into the dock. Wii U supports external HDDs, Switch will support external HDDs.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: November 06, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »
That new post on the nvidia website makes it sound like they have done a lot of work on it

link?
does no one source their comments anymore? :P:

is there a newer one than this?
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:49:19 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: November 06, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »

link?
does no one source their comments anymore? :P: :

is there a newer one than this?
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

That's the only one.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV