Author Topic: 2014 Oscars. Ranking the movies and your opinions on the 2013 movie scene.  (Read 20836 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Oscars. Ranking the movies and your opinions on the 2013 movie scene.
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
Now despite watching all those films, are there any from 2013 I'd still want to watch? I suppose so. I know that at some point, Fast and Furious 6 will be added to that list as I make my way through that series. Currently have seen the first 4 and need to see 5 next. The Grandmaster was nominated for Cinematography and I was always kind of interested in its story and have come close to watching it a couple times. I know Upstream Color got a lot of positive reviews from critics though it doesn't always translate to me liking a film but it appeared on a few best of 2013 lists to make me keep it in mind. Those are probably the movies that hold the most interest for me.

Going through the list of movies released States-side that I'd be willing to give a chance to or are just curious about because of their reception, I'm left with these:

Gangster Squad - With La La Land and Crazy Stupid Love, I'm curious about this 3rd pairing of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling that I haven't seen plus I'm curious to see how this part of L.A. history is told having seen Bugsy which involved Cohen and L.A. Confidential which built off of this period.

Broken City - Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg are in it and it's some fight against corruption but I'm willing to give it a chance based on the leads.

A Good Day to Die Hard - If I ever get around to watching all the Die Hard movies then I'll probably see this at some point too.

Dark Skies - I remember being intrigued by the trailer but then forgetting all about the movie after its release. I think it was a mildly positive critical reception but based on the trailer I'd still be willing to check it out.

42 - This is one of the better critically received movies on this list that I haven't gotten around to. It's got Harrison Ford in it which is another plus even if his career is more spotty these days then his 70's to early 90's run. It's just a case of knowing some of the stats of Jackie Robinson's career and life already so I've put off watching something you kind of know the story of or how it will turn out.

Mud - Part of the Matthew McConaissance when MM was suddenly regarded as a good actor. This was one of the first movies to hit this year giving him critical acclaim on the way to his Oscar win and later Emmy Nomination for True Detective. Nothing about the trailer or plot really interested me though but the critical acclaim means I've never fully dismissed the chance of one day seeing the film.

World War Z - This was regarded as a Zombie saturation point and a movie that may have finally killed people's interest in the zombie genre. It didn't get much love from critics or fans so, of course, I'm partially curious as to just how bad it is since it still did quite well at the box office and rumours of a sequel still pop up.

Grown-ups 2 - Every once in awhile, I will still watch an Adam Sandler film even though they've been quite terrible for years. Despite the first Grown-ups getting panned which I've yet to see also, it got a sequel and it's the only Sandler film concept to get a sequel leading to even worse reviews so I'm curious as to how bad it is. I could get into a bigger discussion of Sandler movies if I'm not careful but I find them oddly fascinating in their construction these days.

The Wolverine - Perhaps someday I'll catch up on The Wolverine side of movies but my only real association to this character has been through the X-Men movies and while his presence is welcome enough in them, the character has never wowed me to the point of wanting to watch the spin-off Wolverine franchise.

The Spectacular Now - One of the last movies Roger Ebert reviewed before he died. He was positive on the movie and it has Miles Teller who I kind of like and Shailene Woodley who am not as sold on. Again, there's nothing about the subject matter that's compelled me to check it out but I've always had some curiosity on it because of Ebert.

Lee Daniel's The Butler - Was positively received but nothing that really sounded compelling to me aside from seeing how the different presidents are portrayed. Just always looked and felt a bit stodgy or stifling from pictures and clips to make me work up the energy to watch it.

The Fifth Estate - Simply because Fatty The Hutt posted a quick review for it back when it came out and he was the only person I seemed to see on the internet to be positive about the movie so it's made me curious about what kind of movies he likes.

Escape Plan - Supposed to be terrible but it has Jim Caviezel in it and thanks to Person of Interest I'm willing to give it a shot just for more psudo-Reese in my life. Plus, Schwarzenegger and Stallone partner up in it for their first movie together if I recall right. Kind of curious just how the dialogue in this movie would sound with Arnold's accent, Stallone's mumbling and Caviezel's whispering.

Ender's Game - I've heard of this title a lot and know it is part of a book series so I'm curious as to just what it's story is all about and it's another movie with Harrison Ford in it to hopefully provide some scowling and prickly entertainment.

The Book Thief - Again, based of a pretty popular book so I'm curious what the story is to save myself the time of actually reading the book.

Now, if I never see any of those movies, it ain't really going to bother me. When it comes to movies I really want to see, 2013 seems to be covered for me. Perhaps someone will have a recommendation for one of these or something not listed or a strong warning to skip one of these ones I have listed as I'd be open to hearing more thoughts on them. That's where I currently stand when it come to films of 2013.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
As for the films of 2013 I have watched, let me break them down a bit for you all. Starting with the lesser movies. But first a message or disclaimer if you will about these movies.

A few years back, around 2012, PBS tried to restart a Siskel & Ebert type movie review show titled At The Movies. It still had Roger Ebert's involvement but the main critics were Christy Lemaire and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky who's reviews can be found on the A.V. Club. Now, I personally thought the set of critics in Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott were a great duo and the best match to Siskel & Ebert when they were hosting the show for the last couple years before it was cancelled by ABC and I had wished they had kept them for the reboot as I think it might have gone better.

Regardless, over time, Ignatiy was the critic who won me over more and I liked his viewpoint on things. At one point, as the show was trying to find ways to keep an audience, they started taking some viewer mail and a question they were asked is if they ever walked out of a movie and if so, which one. If I can recall correctly, Ignatiy said he hadn't and mentioned a quote from a filmmaker who said something along the lines that one can find a little something worthwhile in any film if they look for it. Ignatiy may have joked that it can be a bit harder to find in some movies than others but sort of found it true. I tried searching to see if I could find that quote but I was unable to. Still, that idea, whether I'm remembering it right or not, has stuck with me. And truthfully, even in some movies I really hated, there might have been a scene or two that kind of worked or just some element that was interesting or kind of worthwhile. Maybe it's just a case that something semi-decent sticks out more when surrounded by utter dreck but the fact that it does stick it or does somehow work I think still deserves some praise and makes me wonder if there is a way to figure out why. A movie science, if you will, of why a little bit of a film can work when everything else wasn't able to succeed.

I bring up this long introduction because even though the following list of movies are ones I feel you could safely skip in life and not really miss anything, I can't fully write them off as there still might be something in them that could appeal to a person. They don't deserve to necessarily be destroyed but there's also a good chance you won't remember them a few months later so it's like they were erased from history anyways.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »
Here are the bland and not-so-good:

I Give It a Year - Maybe you could argue that I didn't give the movie a fair shake since I'd finished watching something else and then went to my computer to do something else while it started playing. It's opening beginning with Stephen Merchant giving a horrible toast at a wedding was enough to keep my interest but then I regretted that as the movie kept playing. I'd alternate between watching the movie or listening to it a bit as did stuff on my computer waiting to see how it would finally all play out. Miserable people in a marriage doesn't always make for a great comedy. Darn you, Stephen Merchant!

A.C.O.D. - I was interested in this movie because it had Adam Scott and Amy Poehler in it and I'm a big Parks and Recreation fan. Plus, it was reviewed highly on the Roger Ebert website but this was a lesson in learning I really couldn't go by the opinions of other reviewers on that site with Roger Ebert now dead. Sadly, the movie never lived up to expectations. I can't say I really found anything about it funny and it's pretty much all vanished from my head. I watched a trailer of it again just now and it sort of triggered a couple memories but it was almost like watching it for the first time. Very, very forgettable.

In A World.... - This has a 92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and seemed to be well received but the movie just didn't click with me. While it was different to have a bit of insight or focus on the world of voice-overs and made a couple points that have stuck with me, I'd have forgotten that I'd even watched it had I not found in listed among movies released in 2013. It didn't bore me and it engrossed me enough as I watched it, I suppose. Some may like it better than I but there are a lot of other films I'd suggest watching instead of it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
20 Feet of Stardom - I found this movie a struggle to get through. First, I'm really not a fan of documentaries. I don't know what it is but I always feel like I have to psych myself up to watch them. One like this doesn't help in making me embrace this genre. Amazingly, this movie won Best Documentary at the Oscars and it basically consists of some back-up singers recounting the famous songs they song vocals on and then lamenting how they either couldn't get a career on their own or that musicians don't seem to use back-up singers in songs these days like they used to so could someone please give them a job? I suppose for some music lovers, this bit of history that they may have been unaware could be of interest but it was a case for me of wondering how much longer the movie still had to go. Because I really didn't like it, that strong emotion has helped me remember it better than something like A.C.O.D. so it has that going for it but I still forget about it until Oscar time and then the Documentary category stirs up its memory again.

August: Osage County - Streep and Roberts were nominated for their performances and admittedly they have their moments though its more Streep than Roberts that holds your attention. I personally found Benedict Cumberbatch of more interest because it might have been the only time I'd seen him play someone who is relatively normal or at least without arrogance or some mental quirks. He's a bumbling, mild-mannered type and I thought it was proof that he could play something beyond the Sherlock persona he often seems cast to play. Ultimately, my problem with the movie is one that stems from a lot of films based of plays in that it can feel artificial at times and/or whatever its message or theme might be just goes over my head or doesn't connect. Like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf which left me scratching my head as to what it was all about or Fences which I'll talk about later this week but felt like people in a play and not real life. So, it is with August: Osage County. Not sure what the story was meant to accomplish so it ultimately feels a bit pointless.

Dallas Buyer's Club - I'll admit your mileage on this one may vary. You can see Nickmitch and I discuss it in more depth earlier in this thread. He liked it more than I did. As I said in my intro, there are worth while moments in this movie. But when I see it on my list of movies I've watched, my first reaction is a negative one and to dismiss it. Thus, when it comes to recommending it, I have a hard time to do so because I'm just not a fan of it. Yet, as I said before, I don't deny this film raises some interesting points about determining treatment for one's self and how the FDA works as well as the mindset of the early 80's and being sticken with AIDS and the fear and discrimination it caused. I just don't let the package its presented in.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »
Thor: The Dark World - I've found the Thor movies to be pretty weak so far. It's one reason why I'm not that excited about the upcoming third Thor movie. If you like Marvel movies or Thor's portrayal so far then you'll probably find much appeal to this movie but it's on the blander side for me and while I still remember much about it, none of what I remember really strikes me as fun. While better than the first one, based on my recollections, at least I can remember the first one had ice stickmen as the villains but I honestly cannot picture or recall the villain in this one. I know there was something to do with different worlds opening up all over at the end but what the purpose of that was I also cannot recall. Probably the biggest offender in the Marvel Films Have Weak Villains criticism.

12 Years A Slave - Yes, it won Best Picture so others would probably argue against my skip it recommendation but I've just never understood how others have seen this as some kind of masterwork. It's been said that the movie shows how slavery broke a person's spirit down piece by piece but I never got that. It just seemed to show that, surprise, there was a lot that people suffered in slavery. Now, I'm not trying to dismiss that suffering. It's just that there have been other movies that have depicted slavery and have shown its inhumanity before and nothing about this movie struck me as new. It didn't change my feelings towards it like, "Wow, I always though slaves had it kind of good before. Man, was I wrong!" There was one scene where Fassbender's character confronts Ejiofor's character, Solomon Northup, because of news he has learned about him. Solomon gives Fassbender a panicked explanation and he accepts it but it never struck me as believable. I just didn't buy Fassbender's character accepting Solomon's explanation considering his actions up to that point and the way Solomon acts in the scene. Frankly, Fassbender's character sometimes seemed over the top to be believable also.

For that matter, same with some of the suffering depicted. One thing that has stuck with me is a scene where some slaves are dancing or playing music in Fassbender's house. Lupita's character is really getting into dancing and, at some point, a glass bottle is hurled into her face and breaks on impact. Maybe I am the worst because I almost felt like laughing at that. It just came out of nowhere and seemed more like a comedic beat that a dramatic moment. When you stop and think about it in real life, you say, yeah that would be terrible but in the moment, it just came across as crazy and almost silly. Because of that unintended affect, it stayed with me because it was a misfire. Maybe it was a case of trying to show a lot of different ways that people were abused within just a couple hours of film time that it comes across as to excessive to seem over the top and thus lose some of its impact after awhile. The ending when he says his family again is kind of moving yet I thought Captain Phillips had the more powerful moment of a person suddenly decompressing from the trauma they had experienced.

In the end, the movie can be summed up by Solomon is sent to the south where he suffers and suffers and suffers as a slave and finally manages to luck out on reclaiming his freedom. It's a one-note film and my memory of it is that of hitting the same note of people being cruel to him and not really doing much else besides that. For that reason, I find it hard to recommend this film although people may disagree in that its one note is what makes it powerful and necessary to watch much like a movie about the holocaust. Yet, I would argue there that while the holocaust is also a subject that should not be dismissed or ignored, not all movies about it are equal and there are some worth watching over others that can make the same point. So, it is with 12 Years a Slave. Also, when I play quizzes with questions about Best Picture Winners, this movie and Argo are two of the more recent winners I always have trouble remembering that they won and when which just confirms my own bias that this movie isn't as powerful as people want to make it out to be.

Riddick - This was another case of watching a movie just because it was on the movie channel at the time. I came in a bit late to the movie where Riddick was fighting some people then began trying to traverse across some hostile land on a planet. That bit was kind of compelling enough that I kept watching. I haven't seen any of the other Riddick movies before and nothing about this one made me feel like they were worth checking out by the time it was over. I couldn't remember if it was this movie I had seen or Chronicles of Riddick but reading the synopsis of this film on Wikipedia reminded me that it was this one. Suddenly, a lot more moments of the movie came back to me while reading it over. Perhaps some may find it entertaining and despite its casual pace I still stuck with it to see where it would all go. It ended with silliness and a character's sudden about face to save the hero. A poor man's Yojimbo or A Fistful of Dollars. See those movies instead.