Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 174927 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #175 on: December 27, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »
life doesn't hang in the balance with motion control :P
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
As soon as people touch motion controls, they bitch.

People don't deal with rockets in normal, socially appropriate circumstances in daily life, unless it's part of their internet agenda.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »
"Motion Control isn't rocket science,"

Any engineers here besides myself and Jonny?

Rocket science is easier than motion controls.
Engineering student.  Aerospace, coincidentally.

Motion controls and rocket science overlap quite a bit.  I realize the comparison isn't intended to be literal.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Sony Wand to be called Arc?
« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
Sony's PS3 motion controller might be called Arc
Remember that retooled controller that Sony seemed darn well inclined to bring to the masses with its PlayStation 3? Some might say that was the original Arc, but given that just about everyone laughed the design off and forced the company's hand with the conventional SIXAXIS, there seems to be a distinct possibility that the suits are about to get their revenge. According to "a concrete source speaking under conditions of strict anonymity," VG247 has it that Sony's forthcoming PS3 motion controller will be labeled Arc when it hits retail shelves sometime "this year." If you'll recall, we knew that the device was called Gem (or was it Sphere?) during its internal production, but this is first time we've been notified of a proper name for those "on the outside." 'Course, only time (and high-ranking marketers) will tell whether the moniker will stick, but we find ourselves strangely attracted -- who knows, maybe we're just sympathetic.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
That old Batarang was pretty Arc-y.

So the name doesn't imply anything about its use, other than it's bendy-shaped, unlike the "Wii Remote" which we immediately recognize is a kind of Remote Control device.  Way to strengthen those brands, Somy.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2010, 05:11:15 PM »
Will Sony's Arc be able to survive for 40 days and 40 nights on the BLUE OCEAN? They will have to load two of every franchise into it, and it boggles the mind how one old man (Sony) will be able to pull all this off.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
Chozo Wins the thread.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
Will Sony's Arc be able to survive for 40 days and 40 nights on the BLUE OCEAN? They will have to load two of every franchise into it, and it boggles the mind how one old man (Sony) will be able to pull all this off.

Chozo Wins the thread.

Seriously. The saddest part is i can see them being dumb enough to actually release two of every franchise.. 1 standard edition, and one arc edition..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »
I think the Arc will flop but I hope it works great.  I love the idea of motion control (which is why I bought a Wii after a decaded hiatus), its just the execution thus far that annoys me.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/still-unnamed-ps3-motion-controller-delayed-to-fall-2010-161021.phtml

So the Sony Motion Controller (rumored to be named Arc at the moment) has been officially delayed till Fall of this year.  Well, from where I stand it isn't terribly surprising considering we've seen no hype for it so far as we enter Spring 2010, but I think it does mean that Sony just blew its only real chance at taking on Microsoft's Natal.  I'm not convinced yet that Natal is actually going to work in real games, but 6 months of just Sony wielding an HD Wiimote probably could have cemented the PS3 in the public's eye as the only "true" HD motion control game in town.  As it stands now, Arc is now going head-to-head with Natal in the Fall, which isn't good for Sony if Natal actually works as advertised.

This delay also means that Nintendo has another 6 months or so of motion control exclusivity, which will make both competitor's motion controllers look even more ridiculous as we finally start to see Motion + games (and Epic Mickey) on the Wii.

On the upside, this does dramatically increase the odds that actual good games for the thing will be ready by the peripheral's launch...and buy Sony time to come up with a real name for the thing.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:55:35 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2010, 05:03:26 AM »
On the upside,

There is never an upside when Sony rips off one of Nintendo's innovations. I have no respect AT ALL for thieves and copycats, and I hope they die a horrible painful death. If you think I'm being a bit extreme, remember this is the same company that had no scruples about installing rootkits on people's PCs WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
So.... what is Capcom gonna do with their RE5:Alternate Edition that they said they were gonna release in March(?) even if [Disco Stick] doesn't.

I'm sure I saw them say that somewhere, but now maybe Capcom should've listened to me and had that version of the game ready for the Wii too and then they could carry on without having to shelve a game for 6 months because the motion control it been re-tooled to use has been delayed.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
So.... what is Capcom gonna do with their RE5:Alternate Edition that they said they were gonna release in March(?) even if [Disco Stick] doesn't.

I'm sure I saw them say that somewhere, but now maybe Capcom should've listened to me and had that version of the game ready for the Wii too and then they could carry on without having to shelve a game for 6 months because the motion control it been re-tooled to use has been delayed.

If it wasn't for the fact that Sony still hasn't officially named their Motion Controller yet (which would be problematic when making that bullet point/tag for the packaging hyping the feature), I'd say they could release it as is with the capability of handling the motion control built in and ready.  Then when the peripheral comes out, that option is available to you.  It's not like the motion control is the only new feature of this release, as there are new costumes and several new scenarios as well.  Depending on the price, that could work.  If not, they could just shelve the disc version of Alternate Edition for the time being and stick with the DLC release that's already planned in the US.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »
I guess Sony realized motion controls aren't so easy after all. Moving it to fall also makes me wonder if they plan on betting the holiday season on this thing.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »
or Sony decided that instead of a lackluster launch in the spring with 5 pieces of software that would be mostly uninteresting, poor mans copy of casual titles that have already been released on the Wii or games already released with motion control added in(RE5) they would instead put the Disco Stick up against Natal this fall and not let Natal have the Holiday Spotlight all to themselves.

If Swand had released in the Spring to ho-hum sales it would have been old news by the time Natal was about to be launched and Natal would have been "The NEW Hotness" without competition (from Sony's Arc of the Gemenant)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »
Capcom already sold me Resident Evil Jill: Jill Edition months ago. I couldn't care less about the motion controller.

Both Natal and Sony's dildo are pretty f*cked when they release this fall. They're both coming over a year after Motion Plus and right on the dawn of a new Zelda. That's a completely different kind of fail right there.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »
Nintendo's success with the Wii is due to other factors aside from the motion controller (though that is a huge part of it). One factor was that the system was much cheaper than the competition, and it still is, but not by quite so much anymore. I predict within a year or two the Wii will be down to $99 or at least $129. Another factor is the price of the games. $60 games aren't cool, so the Wii holds an advantage there over its competitors. By not being HD the games don't cost so much to create and this is passed on down to consumers.

So even with the Natal and Ark, the Wii will still be a competitive force for the foreseeable future.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2010, 05:26:20 AM »
The price isn't the important factor. What made the Wii sell is its software. Wii Sports was a bona fide killer app. So was Wii Fit. Now NSMBWii is a killer app boosting the sales like mad (the boost from the price drop had already subsided by the time NSMBWii came around and Wii sales broke records). You've seen how much ability third parties have when it comes to supplying games like that.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
Both Natal and Sony's dildo are pretty f*cked when they release this fall. They're both coming over a year after Motion Plus and right on the dawn of a new Zelda. That's a completely different kind of fail right there

Zelda is not being released this fall and most people will be unaware it's even in the works.  Nintendo already has Mario and Metroid due this year.  No way Zelda is making it within the same year.  All we've seen in one piece of art.  And Motion+ is so far a one game wonder and Nintendo doesn't have anything else for it due to drop soon.

Sony and MS are still probably fucked though because I imagine their lineup will be REALLY lame.  I just don't have confidence in their abilities.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »
If you think about it, it may actually benefit Nintendo if Sony and MS rip off their controller idea. The reason is multiplatform games. Right now when a game goes Multi-platform that means it comes out on the PS3, 360, and PC but not the Wii. One of the main arguments for why this is the case is Nintendo's weird controller and 3rd parties obsessed with either making use of that or bypassing the Wii entirely.

But what if motion controllers become an industry standard? Then 3rd parties are forced to deal with it whether they want to or not And maybe, just maybe, this might result in more games trickling onto the Wii.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
Realistically it's the graphics. You can convert traditional controls into mostly-workable Wii controls fairly easily, you cannot fit cutting edge graphics into the Wii hardware.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2010, 01:43:11 PM »
Both Natal and Sony's dildo are pretty f*cked when they release this fall. They're both coming over a year after Motion Plus and right on the dawn of a new Zelda. That's a completely different kind of fail right there

Zelda is not being released this fall and most people will be unaware it's even in the works.  Nintendo already has Mario and Metroid due this year.  No way Zelda is making it within the same year.  All we've seen in one piece of art.  And Motion+ is so far a one game wonder and Nintendo doesn't have anything else for it due to drop soon.

Sony and MS are still probably fucked though because I imagine their lineup will be REALLY lame.  I just don't have confidence in their abilities.

SMG2 is coming in the Spring, M:OM is likely coming in the Summer (after E3) and that leaves the Holiday wide open. Zelda+ will be the perfect M+ showcase to go up against rehashed casual/mini game ideas and patched games that people have already played/beat on the HD systems.

Zelda has been being worked on since end of 2006 and this holiday season will be 4 years since the release of the last one. There is no reason to believe that Nintendo won't be releasing it this year to go head to head with S&M other than the fact that we would want them to. Nintendo has to have something BIG this holiday season to overshadow the bombardment of advertising that Natal and Disco Stick are gonna be getting and Nintendo has to showcase with an actual game of their own all that M+ is capable of.

BTW Ian, WSR, Tiger Woods and GST have all sold well using the M+. That alone makes it atleast a 3 game wonder.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2010, 02:49:31 PM »
Nintendo has to have something BIG this holiday season to overshadow the bombardment of advertising that Natal and Disco Stick are gonna be getting and Nintendo has to showcase with an actual game of their own all that M+ is capable of.

I think it's more likely that Wii Relax will be Nintendo's big holiday game.  It might logically make sense for them to go big but that doesn't mean they will.  But I just can't imagine them busting out three huge titles like that in one year.  I figure something would be moved.  But then right now I question if Sony or MS will even get their motion control out by then.  Wait for E3, I guess.  We just don't know enough right now.

I will be surprised if Zelda is out this year.  Very PLEASANTLY surprised. :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
Metroid isn't exactly a big title, especially in Japan, neither is SMG(in Japan) and we know how most of the decisions are made based on what is needed in Japan.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
Metroid isn't exactly a big title, especially in Japan, neither is SMG(in Japan) and we know how most of the decisions are made based on what is needed in Japan.

This one might be, though, considering Team Ninja's developing this one.  I agree with Ian: I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get Zelda Wii this year, but it's a real longshot (pun not intended) that we'll see it in North America this year.  Unless they unveil it at GDC, we'll be looking at less than 6 months from public reveal to release.  Even Galaxy 2's getting more than that.  No, we'll probably see Galaxy 2 late Spring/early Summer, Metroid late Summer/early Fall, and Wii Relax and probably some 2nd or 3rd tier unannounced property going out in the Fall alongside Wii Relax.  I'm seeing Winter 2011 in the States for Zelda.