Author Topic: The Surreality of Miiverse on the Web  (Read 1921 times)

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Surreality of Miiverse on the Web
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »

A real attempt at a social network by Nintendo? Say what?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/34008

Even though it was promised, I was very surprised to see Nintendo opening up Miiverse, making it accessible via web browser. It is not like them to do something so…obvious. Could it be? Is Nintendo making a serious stab at a real social network, tailored to gamers? Are they finally starting to follow through on their years of insisting that they are serious about online social gaming?

Well, no, at least not yet. Although the browser version of Miiverse allows you to explore all of the same communities that you can access through the standard Wii U interface, you cannot directly post. So far you can only comment on others’ posts, and even then you are limited to text. No using your Wacom tablet to create masterpiece drawings to upload to Miiverse as of now. There is also no way to directly message your friends. The whole thing feels very light on functionality.

Still, there is something surreal about interacting with a Nintendo-controlled community outside of Nintendo hardware. I am hopeful that this may be a “crack in the dam” for Nintendo’s historically closed and onerous approach toward online gaming. One can easily envision an upgraded, web-accessible Miiverse that is more or less like Twitter, just packaged and monitored by Nintendo. I don’t even want to think about the possibility of iOS or Android apps. My head might explode.

What do you all think? Are these just scraps to mollify the Nintendo faithful while we endure an extended and inexcusable software drought? Or is Nintendo finally starting to get with the program?

Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: The Surreality of Miiverse on the Web
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
I think all credit is due to Iwata being the NOA CEO. ;)

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »
I think it's pretty good for a beta version. And if it's anything like how Miiverse is on the Wii U we're sure to see lots of updates down the road.
I'm also very interested to see where we go from here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:41:30 AM »
I, too, am excited to see where we go from here.  For years, fans have been crying for Nintendo to do the "obvious" thing to leverage what they have and make it even greater.  The eShop, Miiverse, Nintendo Directs, Operation Rainfall, Earthbound (!), and now web based access to social media exclusive to a Nintendo console?
The future is definitely getting exciting.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline RustinReece

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:49:32 AM »
I just found out if you have an IPhone,when your on the Miiverse page, go down to page settings, and click add to home screen. You will then get an awesome Miiverse logo right when you turn on your IPhone! Just something extra that I think is pretty nifty. ;-)