Author Topic: Zelda U delayed to 2016. Won't be at E3 either.  (Read 23228 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda U delayed to 2016. Won't be at E3 either.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »
Besides Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze, what other Nintendo published Wii U game has been significantly delayed?

I'd add Bayonetta 2 to that list.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 12:14:40 AM »
All Wii U games were significantly delayed by about five years when the stupid thing should have launched in the first place.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 12:59:33 AM »
I said in the news thread that I had been 50:50 on it coming out this year or not. They were certainly confident enough about it to show that game award demo. I thought that if it was getting delayed, that news would come as a **** cherry on top of an impressive E3 showing. The WiiU being what it is, it's hard to fathom the logic of this announcement coming now without the NX's hardware/input system playing a role; in a cynical business sense, why not let people keep buying the console for a few more months instead of stoking doubt now about its platform status given the Twilight Princess history?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:11 AM »
Trying to find the proper words. I hate this bullshit! Why? Well not 90 days ago the reconfirmed the release date for 2015 at The Game Awards. Maybe I should be smarter than this, but I'm not. This disappoints me greatly. I'm sure they have something in store to supplement and it better not be XCX, MARIO MAKER OR STARFOX. I know what game better be at E3 this year but who am I kidding, it won't. Iamsad. I don't want some HD remaster of another game either (Unless its Shenmue) I WANT ZELDA!!!

Honestly, I'm one of the more Pro-Nintendo people you'd ever wanna meet but this just may do it. Not abandoning them but like in Smash it might be time for a new main.

This has NX launch title written all over it. Also whatever be gaming news that was scheduled for next week better really be the cats meow!

WHAT KIND OF FUCKERY!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 01:27:55 AM »
I'm glad the game was delayed because it means Nintendo can actually deliver on creating a truly open world Zelda.  Seriously, the last 3D traditional Zelda game took Nintendo 5 years to make on an SD system like the Wii, and now suddenly people where expecting them to make a gigantic open world game in HD, something this team has never even done in only 4 year?

Yeah Skyward Sword took 5 years because they basically rebooted the whole thing in 2008 to take full advantage of Motion + controls but even if the new game hasn't had any similar reboots, the huge world was still going to take more time then any Zelda before it.  Anyone that wants this world to actually be filled with meaningful content should also be quite happy as well.

People that are actually angry by this can **** off since I don't want another Wind Waker that was clearly rushed just to make a holiday release and ended up being blatantly and offensively incomplete.  I don't give a **** how much nostalgia has blinded some, Wind Waker never lived up to it's full potential because of how rushed it was.  A Wind Waker with another year in development could have been a real masterpiece instead of what we got which was still a great game, but still so sad to play because it could have been so much more.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2015, 03:31:31 AM »
Weren't Wario and Wii Fit U both delayed? I think Wonderful 101 was as well, but that could have just been expectations.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 04:02:14 AM »
NX launch title.

I was surprised when Nintendo insisted Zelda Wii U would be released this year. It seemed too good to release on a struggling Wii U rather than launch alongside its successor. This could be fresh start for both Nintendo and the Zelda series. Nintendo needs to knock NX out of the park and the first open world Zelda isn't a bad game to go with.

As for what replaces it in holiday 2015, I expect games based on existing engines. A substantial Super Smash Bros. DLC pack could soften the blow in addition to some other full game. Super Mario 3D World 2 would be my guess. I've mentioned this before: a brand new Zelda using Wind Waker HD's engine. Back to back years of brand new console Zelda titles may be overkill, but the difference in style could be enough to justify it.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2015, 06:47:11 AM »
What pisses me off about this announcement is that, if the team isn't ready to show it this year, that means They aren't confident enough in the game to even promote it in it's current stage, and that means- yup, they're actually going to wait until E3 2016 before they give us a proper look at this game. It also means they have to have some other "THAT" game for E3 THIS year, and Animal Crossing Wii U ain't gonna cut it. If they try to make it XCX they're morons, and I can't imagine it being Mario Maker.

Throughout the entire lifespan of the Wii U I've been playing the waiting game. I waited for Pikmin, I waited for Mario Kart, for Smash Bros. (And that game didn't even deliver), for XCX, and now Zelda. What annoy me is the false promise that 2015 was even in the cards. Now I have a literal handful of games for a system that doesn't even feel like Nintendo itself is supporting with any amount of effort. I've been a loyal customer for a long time and I don't feel like my purchase was worthwhile, especially if his eds up being a fucking NX dual-release. So excuse me if I sound a little angry.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
Throughout the entire lifespan of the Wii U I've been playing the waiting game. I waited for Pikmin, I waited for Mario Kart, for Smash Bros. (And that game didn't even deliver), for XCX, and now Zelda. What annoy me is the false promise that 2015 was even in the cards. Now I have a literal handful of games for a system that doesn't even feel like Nintendo itself is supporting with any amount of effort. I've been a loyal customer for a long time and I don't feel like my purchase was worthwhile, especially if his eds up being a fucking NX dual-release. So excuse me if I sound a little angry.

Oh please, delays have been the course of Nintendo home consoles since the N64.  If you bought a Wii U you already knew what you were getting into.  Did you honestly think a company that was notorious for delaying their major home console games for almost 20 on much weaker hardware would suddenly be pumping out games at a rate never seen before on a system way more powerful?

Yeah after 20 years Nintendo should be doing a better job at being able to release a steady stream of games but when someone has been doing the same thing for so long, it's kind of expected.  Basically, if someones been a crackhead for almost 20 years, if you're going to invite them into your house, you should already know they're probably still a crackhead.  So don't be surprised if after they get into your house, they still do exactly what they've been doing for the last 20 years.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »

Oh please, delays have been the course of Nintendo home consoles since the N64.  If you bought a Wii U you already knew what you were getting into.  Did you honestly think a company that was notorious for delaying their major home console games for almost 20 on much weaker hardware would suddenly be pumping out games at a rate never seen before on a system way more powerful?

Yeah after 20 years Nintendo should be doing a better job at being able to release a steady stream of games but when someone has been doing the same thing for so long, it's kind of expected.  Basically, if someones been a crackhead for almost 20 years, if you're going to invite them into your house, you should already know they're probably still a crackhead.  So don't be surprised if after they get into your house, they still do exactly what they've been doing for the last 20 years.

This is all true, but it doesn't make it right. And it doesn't make me happy. Zelda makes me happy. I thought it could have been delayed but Nintendo insisted upon itself that the title was a 2015 game. 

What this means also is that Nintendo might feel that whatever other games they have for this year will make-up for this. Whatever game is being ported from ps4/xboxone better be huge.

Also, this [size=78%]http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/23/famitsu-dswii-teasing-major-nintendo-game-announcement[/size]

I am rational and expectation is the longest word in the english language. Much like Chip Kelly, Nintendo better be right. And "that" game better be the truth!

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 09:19:32 AM »
I also expect that mysterious Star Fox U... Coming this year my ass!

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
wow Luigi Dude what an attitude, they been making the same **** up for 20 years so get over it? IS that how you approach 3rd party support, lack of basic features that EVERY console since Dreamcast has done well, the really odd and limiting media features that feel like an after thought despite them PRAISING them as a selling point for the console. Yeah great attitude just forgive Nintendo for making another mistake because they been doing it all along.

Personally it doesn't matter to me I actually am not angry I am relieved. Because it means they *are* moving on from Wii U and dropping the dead console to focus on bringing out NX with the strongest line up they can muster. If that means dropping all Wii U support and pulling a Saturn FINE, because nobody is going to complain. Seriously the early adopters that might complain are the ones who are addicted to Nintendo, everyone else who either held off, or is holding off, will be HAPPY with a replacement. Looking at sales numbers I think it is clear there are MORE people not interested in Wii U than those who would be happy to see it get a full five years, which it will not get.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
The funny things is that i was a having a discussion with a friend about Nintendo delaying Zelda and just two hours later i check the news and boom. I was really looking forward to playing Zelda this year but lets be realistic there is no way in hell that Nintendo was going to have that title ready this year. I hope they have something other than Starfox and Mario maker for this year if not well damn another bleak year for Wii U, at least its to be expected :cool;
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »

Gosh, I... I guess you're right. I guess I should just... accept their garbage development cycles, shouldn't I? Then I'll be a much happier person.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »
Can we at least agree that it's unacceptable if Nintendo still doesn't have their **** together by the time the NX comes out? The online infrastructure alliance with DeNA should help a lot with that, but Nintendo seriously needs to expand their development studios so they can produce more and better games (especially if the NX turns out to not be a combination handheld/console). This delay is just further evidence that Nintendo can't support their own platforms on their own with the current state of their studios. They need to start up new studios, including more in the West, to shoulder the load.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »
Can we at least agree that it's unacceptable if Nintendo still doesn't have their **** together by the time the NX comes out?
No. It's unacceptable that Nintendo doesn't have its **** together now. Look, I support this delay because at the end of the day, I want a better game. Every company drops the ball in some regard. However, the extent of Nintendo not having its **** together is flat-out fucking baffling. Simple stuff like not announcing games as early as Zelda should be second nature to the company. Console Zelda games always get delayed. I get Nintendo wanting the hype associated with a new Zelda, but announcing the game so far in advance opens Nintendo up to easily avoidable scrutiny. For a company that should be doing everything it can to rebuild its brand to consumers, this is such a colossal step backward. This may not even be just a delay; it could be a delay to a completely different platform. An already weak Wii U looks even weaker when no one would have been the wiser if Nintendo just didn't show Zelda at E3 2014 at all.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
E3 2014 was a desperate, last-gasp attempt to gain any kind of traction for the Wii U, where they put everything they had on the table. If they weren't in the state they were in they probably would have held Zelda back.

This is Zelda, though. They all get delayed. This was inevitable, so I'm not sure why it upsets people this much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
Yeah, it's weird this is creating so much anger. We saw next to nothing of the game and a very early look at The Game Awards late last year. It didn't look like the game was truly far along, so it's surprising that people are alarmed by the game being delayed.

I see it as a good thing, because as Aonuma said, they're adding a bunch of new ideas, ones that I personally think will change up the game in a big way. As long as Star Fox and Xenoblade don't get delayed to 2016, I'm still happy with what the Wii U will offer this year. Plus I bet there's some surprises for E3, whether big or small.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
Can we at least agree that it's unacceptable if Nintendo still doesn't have their **** together by the time the NX comes out?
No. It's unacceptable that Nintendo doesn't have its **** together now. Look, I support this delay because at the end of the day, I want a better game. Every company drops the ball in some regard. However, the extent of Nintendo not having its **** together is flat-out fucking baffling. Simple stuff like not announcing games as early as Zelda should be second nature to the company. Console Zelda games always get delayed. I get Nintendo wanting the hype associated with a new Zelda, but announcing the game so far in advance opens Nintendo up to easily avoidable scrutiny. For a company that should be doing everything it can to rebuild its brand to consumers, this is such a colossal step backward. This may not even be just a delay; it could be a delay to a completely different platform. An already weak Wii U looks even weaker when no one would have been the wiser if Nintendo just didn't show Zelda at E3 2014 at all.

Hey, I agree with you on this. I was just throwing out a middle ground there in the midst of an increasingly-salty conversation, since some people don't seem to want to consider it unacceptable how behind Nintendo has been from their competition for several generations.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
On a side note, this is increasingly looking to be the most important E3 we've had in years. All the companies have been holding their cards close to their chests, and while we have some suspicions we have no official word on what the **** Sony & Nintendo have planned for the Fall.  Oddly enough, the company that seems best set for the Fall is Microsoft, since Halo 5 doesn't seem to be going anywhere and you know Microsoft's probably dumped enough money into Activision to practically develop the latest Call of Duty all on their own.

It really seems like this E3 is going to make or break this current generation, as seemingly every developer is delaying projects; jumping to mobile; or just re-releasing last gen titles. I'm reminded of Bill & Ted's conservation with their History Teacher at the beginning of Excellent Adventure, where he informs them that their only hope to pass the class is to ace their history report:

Teacher: "And guys...whatever it is had better be...REALLY...special."

E3's pretty much sucked for the last 2 years. We're due for a good one for once.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 04:40:53 PM »
There isn't anyone out there who would do a better job single-handedly supporting a console than Nintendo does. It's just a lousy situation to begin with, and Nintendo's best move would be to find a way that they don't have to do that anymore. If they can't pull that off, they yeah, expansion is necessary, or at least building more relationships with external studios like Next Level or Platnium. But again, this was always going to happen. This is what Zelda is, and has been for decades.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »
There isn't anyone out there who would do a better job single-handedly supporting a console than Nintendo does. It's just a lousy situation to begin with, and Nintendo's best move would be to find a way that they don't have to do that anymore. If they can't pull that off, they yeah, expansion is necessary, or at least building more relationships with external studios like Next Level or Platnium. But again, this was always going to happen. This is what Zelda is, and has been for decades.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo shouldn't BE in the position where a single game delay can torpedo the entire rest of their year. If Nintendo's never going to make the changes necessary to make their platforms attractive to 3rd parties again, they need to expand so that when something like this happens, they have 2-3 other big titles that can pick up the slack.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
E3 2014 was a desperate, last-gasp attempt to gain any kind of traction for the Wii U, where they put everything they had on the table. If they weren't in the state they were in they probably would have held Zelda back.

This is Zelda, though. They all get delayed. This was inevitable, so I'm not sure why it upsets people this much.
That kind of thinking essentially sums up why Nintendo is in the bind its in. Part of Nintendo's idea of a desperate, last-gasp attempt at gaining traction was to show an extremely early build of a game it knows it can't deliver when it says its going to deliver it. Only a company that has lost touch with reality would think that's even an option. Take Zelda out E3 2014 and Nintendo still has the best overall showing. Delaying the game, potentially off Wii U entirely, just makes the company look so much worse than if it just kept its mouth closed.

I understand people getting upset over the delay since they want the game sooner rather than later. I don't agree, but I understand where they're coming from. I will always support delaying a game for quality control. My gaming habits are such that I don't care when a game is released, but my time is such that I want to make the most of it, and I'd rather do so with a better game. However, that isn't what my issue is. As recently as five months ago, Nintendo was insisting that Zelda was on schedule for a 2015 release, and I remained skeptical then:
Realistically if development has actually gone smoothly this time with no huge shakeups in design or controls, a 2015 can still be possible.
That goes without saying. When was the last time that actually happened? Not saying it can't, but at this point, I'd certainly bet against Nintendo releasing a console Zelda game on time.
November 2016 is when the Wii U's successor launches, and they're going to prefer to get Zelda out prior to that
Zelda would make a really lovely launch title.
Sure, much can happen in five months' time, but just don't say anything then. This is the same promise Nintendo has had such a hard time keeping in the past. Nintendo should have accepted that it wasn't winning the war. That doesn't mean "Give up and abandon Wii U." It means admitting, "Wii U is going to lose, but that's okay." Keep releasing solid titles, and don't screw anything up. Regroup, rebuild the brand, and ride the momentum into the next console. How hard is that?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
I just hope that we hear a date for Xenoblade X soon.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
I just hope that we hear a date for Xenoblade X soon.

They're probably waiting til E3 for that.  I wouldn't be surprised if they release it in either October or November to try and take advantage of the upcoming holiday rush now that Zelda's delayed.