Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217456 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #1050 on: March 09, 2010, 07:13:53 PM »
Even if the games are in MIDI, does it really matter? Nintendo has produced some of the best soundtracks ever. This type of media bitching it akin to some teenage girl bitching to her friends on Facebook about not losing ten pounds so she could fit into her prom dress.

To the female forum users, the gaming media is the male version.

qft
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
Just out of curiosity, was every single piece of music in Super Mario Galaxy orchestrated?

Nope, the majority of Galaxy's soundtrack was MIDI.  Galaxy had a total of 81 songs in it's soundtrack, but only 28 of these songs were done by an orchestra.  Not to mention out of the 28 songs that were done by an orchestra, some of them were rather short songs that were only used during certain cut-scenes.  Plus you have Rosalina's Observatory theme which has 3 different versions of it that play as the game progresses but since each song had to be composed separately, they're all considered a different song out of that 28.

So yeah, in the end Galaxy's soundtrack was no where close to being fully orchestrated.  Hell even some of the 28 orchestrated songs are a combination of MIDI/Orchestra.  This is another reason why people shouldn't use Galaxy's soundtrack as a reason to bash MIDI, when the majority of Galaxy's soundtrack is MIDI and several of it's orchestrated songs use MIDI in them as well.

Edit:

And before anyone asks me where I got my information from, like always, Iwata Ask

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks_vol3_index.jsp

Iwata:  But even when you had decided to use an orchestra, you must not have been able to do the recording until the contents of the game were finalized.

Yokota:  Right! That was the toughest part! Especially seeing how Miyamoto-san is known to make changes at the very last minute!    

All:  (laughs)               

Yokota:  It really felt as if we were walking on a tightrope. We weren’t able to schedule the recording dates until Miyamoto-san gave us the green light. So we recorded all 28 tracks, constantly checking with him for each track, asking "Is this music okay for this stage?" so that we could be 100% sure that this music was really ready to use             

Iwata:  It must not have been easy to arrange all 28 tracks.                           

Yokota:  It was tough, but since I was the one that wanted to do this...   

Damn...I feel like I was just put in my place.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
nah, you just got F'd in the A
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 09, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Fils'ed in the -Aime
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
Damn...I feel like I was just put in my place.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 09, 2010, 08:46:54 PM »
MIDI does not imply any sort of actual quality.  It doesn't even imply instruments.  MIDI is a way for enabled instruments and computers to communicate, and sequence tracks together.  It stands for "Musical Instrument Digital Interface", and its nothing more than that, an interface.  So yes, Mario may have used MIDI instruments, and a MIDI interface on a computer to make it's soundtrack.  What the quality is dependent on is the samples used by the MIDI program Nintendo uses.  Use cruddy samples and you have cruddy music.  Use nice samples and you have nice music.

MIDI is really great for video games, because you can build algorithms to change one MIDI file in real time.  So, like in Wind Waker for instance, when you're sailing it plays a song in a major key, however it starts to storm, and the song switches to the relative minor.  The composer only had to track the song once, and then can set up a program that allows the MIDI file to switch keys on the fly.  Or you could build it up to include new tracks depending on certain situations, like "moblin appears, add track 3", or remove tracks "enter cave, remove track 1".  Better yet, you can even tell it to switch what sample bank its using on the fly.  So you build one track, but because of the flexibility of MIDI sequencing it can apply to as many situations as you need it to.

So here's the example.  Link is out in the field, so the game starts playing the overworld music.  It starts raining, so the game is able to switch that same track it has loaded already to the relative minor.  A moblin runs up, on this same track the composer added a horn track, that would add some intensity to the same overworld track.  It stops raining while you fight the moblin so the game switches the same track back to the initial major key.  You kill the moblin and the horns drop out, and it turns to night, where the game adds and subtracts a few instruments as per the composer's arrangement.  So lets say its drops a "cello" track, adds some flutes, and switches the bass drum part to be played on a bassoon.

This whole time the game only had one track loaded, but made minor changes to that one track, depending on the situation.  As opposed to a straight orchestrated track, which can only sound one way forever.

I HOPE they use midi!

tl;dr   MIDI is an interface, not an instrument set read this at your leisure to understand better

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1056 on: March 09, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
History shows, Nintendo's samples are usually cruddy.  There was some indication their sound would improve in between N64 to GameCube, but there hasn't been any suggesting they'd get better from then on.  Galaxy 2's teaser trailer shows they haven't.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 09, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »
I wouldn't say cruddy, it could be a lot worse.  Nintendo's sample quality is "good enough", just like a lot of other stuff they would consider superfluous...like graphics.  Just how they always get away with "good enough" graphics because of strong art designs, they tend to get away with "good enough" music quality through strength of composition.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 09, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »
I'm a big fan of "good enough."
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 10, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »
They also tend to get away with "good enough" boxing controls.  Just playin....
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
They also tend to get away with "good enough" boxing controls.  Just playin....
Twilight Sellout got away with Good Enough waggle sword attacks.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline rbtr

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 10, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »
And you still expect them to change their good enough sound samples?

I think they should worry about other things first.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 10, 2010, 06:39:52 PM »
Fils'ed in the -Aime

NEW MEME FOR 2010!

And you still expect them to change their good enough sound samples?

I think they should worry about other things first.

EXACTLY! If the game was the most epic game it could be controller wise, i wouldn't mind if it reused the original LoZ soundtrack :P

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
I would! >:(

Every Zelda has had memorable new music! Even TP with the Gerudo Desert (the percussion is awesome) and the end credits (particularly moving for a Zelda piece).

I want new original awesome music!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »
I do too, but i also want their priorities in order.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 12, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
I do too, but i also want their priorities in order.
First: Make a good Zelda game.

Dead Last: Listen to the whiny Zelda fanbase.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
Hey! As a music connoisseur, I take offense to that!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 13, 2010, 03:37:11 PM »
I could care less about Nintendo doing whatever it wants to the music in the latest Zelda game. Gameplay however is a completely different ball game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 17, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »
2 videogame websites reporting on the same badly reported story from Kotaku yet citing a single random forum post on NeoGAF to debunk it instead reading what the forum poster was actually criticizing: the badly reported Kotaku story.

Quote from: original Kotaku article
http://kotaku.com/5495181/rumor-new-xbox-360-model-slims-down
Now, before we go any further, know the image up top comes from a Chinese messageboard. Yeah. The reason we're looking a little more closely at this than we normally would is that Intel is currently in the process of rolling out consumer-level combined CPU/GPU chips. Like, right now. And Intel handle the Xbox 360's chipset.

These new chips are codenamed Clarkdale, and are 32nm, which would present a significant reduction in both power usage and in the amount of heat generated by the console. On the left here is what they look like underneath, while above, that's it with the small Xbox 360 stamp on it (to the left of the fan).
Quote from: NeoGAF post
Clarkdale is a PC processor combining a dual-core Nehalem derivative with Intel integrated graphics.  It has absolutely **** all to do with the 360.
Then the story reported by 2 videogame "journalist" after much research
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-slim-rumours-untrue/

Earlier today, shots of a new motherboard that was claimed to be for an upcoming Xbox 360 Slim model were revealed.

Yet a member on the infamous NeoGAF forums has quickly shot down such rumours by pointing out that the board, which features a chipset codenamed Clarkdale, has absolutely nothing to do with the console. In a post he states, “Clarkdale is a PC processor combining a dual-core Nehalem derivative with Intel integrated graphics. It has absolutely f*ck all to do with the 360.â€

So, whether a Xbox 360 Slim is truly in the works remains uncertain but now all eyes will be on Microsoft’s Keynote this year at E3. Releasing a new SKU alongside Project Natal would seem a sensible move, seeing the success that Sony’s PlayStation 3 Slim received last year, but only time will tell.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/17/rumour-360-slim-on-the-way/

Update 2: According to the fine folks over on NeoGAF the motherboard in question is nothing more than the Clarkdale PC processor that combines a dual-core Nehalem derivative with Intel integrated graphics. Saying, “It has absolutely **** all to do with the 360″.
In other words, these journalist didn't even bother to read what the NeoGAF poster was even talking about before they just parroted it up on their site.

even Kotaku realized their mistake
Quote from: Kotaku
UPDATE - Removed erroneous information about Intel chipsets.

tl:dr version - Kotaku mixed up a PC chip with a revised X360 motherboard, a NeoGAFfer called them on it, other sites didn't read before posting and call the story debunked since "it was only a PC chip and not a 360 motherboard." Reading comprehension FTL.