Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 127448 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I thought the premise of Mushroom Kingdom was a great concept and would like it back too (that was the scrolling stage through the first levels of the original SMB, right?)
Yeah, that’s the one. I could never get into it. I typically don’t like the scrolling stages. Mushroomy Kingdom wasn’t even fun to look at.

I hope there’s no DLC. Just let Ultimate be its own self-contained thing. Let Sakurai have a break. He’s been working on Super Smash Bros. for like six straight years.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Mushroomy Kingdom is bad. Also, do we really need Dream Land and Green Greens? Are both Yoshi's Island stages essential?

Rainbow Road is just Figure-8 Circuit which is just Mario Circuit and again do we really need all three of those?

I do agree that Pac Land is a terrible stage and maybe having Maze is better. It might be a little nitpicky but I'd rather not have so many echo stages.

Have a feeling the final two 64 stages will be in, just seems to much of a miss to leave them out.

Why though? Sector Z is just a worse version of Corneria and Zebes is the boring precursor to Brimstar.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Good point. I suppose if they have been replaced by superior versions then there is no need for the old ones.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Rainbow Road was the most visually pleasing Mario Kart stage. It also exemplified the series more than the Mario Circuit stages so if I had to pick any of them, it’d be that one.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Rainbow Road was the most visually pleasing Mario Kart stage. It also exemplified the series more than the Mario Circuit stages so if I had to pick any of them, it’d be that one.

Too bad.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I'm with you on Mushroomy Kingdom. If they're tossing out other side-scrolling stages, I'm surprised Mushroomy Kingdom is still making the cut. I get that it returned in 3DS but so did Flat Zone 2 and it isn't coming back. I'm also in agreement about losing Rainbow Road and Pac-Maze from the 3DS. I'd toss out Mushroomy Kingdom and Pac-Land to put both of those in their place. I'd also replace Yoshi's Island Brawl with Woolly World Wii U. But we're talking about 3 stages here out of 99 so I'm sure I'll find a way to live through this disappointment. ;)  And I do have a soft spot for Poke Floats even if it is more about navigating the stage to survive than actually fighting but it is hard to actually engage in much fighting during it so I get the exclusion.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Poké Floats was fun once in a while as the only decent version of the survive the level style stage. The vertical scrolling stages just weren’t fun, but Poké Floats could be for a lark.

If Sakurai doesn’t bring it back, I’d like his team to try again. Maybe Smash Floats where it cycles through a float of each fighter. Eight players could be fun on that.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Rainbow Road is just Figure-8 Circuit which is just Mario Circuit and again do we really need all three of those?

Not quite. Rainbow Road stops at various parts of the course which result in different height levels and stage geography like Mario Circuit Wii U's stage. Figure-8 Circuit is a stationary stage that doesn't change but just had ShyGuys karting on by. Plus, Rainbow Road is a pretty iconic part of the Mario Kart series so having a Rainbow Road course is better than the non-existent Figure-8 circuit created for Smash Bros. Brawl. I'm guessing it was left out for two reasons. First is that is similar to how Mario Circuit works as it moves along the course of an actual track. Second is that it stops in one portion of the track that is a rotating cylinder so for that portion you are just basically trying to run along in the opposite direction and not get pulled off screen by the rotating tube.

In some ways, I'm surprised that Brawl had so many of its stages represented since I've come to feel it has a lot of the weaker / blander stages than any other game except maybe the original at this point. Why Smashville and Town and City? They're already quite similar and you've got Tortimor Island from the 3DS to help shake things up in AC stage representation. Isabella is probably getting included so maybe that's why Sakurai is going with all three. Or it is because they are simple enough stages that both are getting included.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Even though Sakurai says there's 103 stages, what's to stop him from tweaking that number in the next Direct?  It might be like the early roster for Melee where Sakurai wanted us to think there was only 5 unlockable characters only to have an extra 6 more as well.

I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to wants us to think there's only 6 stages left to reveal only to go beyond that in the next Direct.  Of course even if he doesn't I'm still very happy with the list.  Just getting most of the 3DS stages in HD is good enough for me.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Perhaps they're saving some stages for DLC?

Of the ones not yet seen to be returning, I like Flat Zone best. That was always a fun and frantic stage back in Melee. For some reason I never liked 2 as much.

Does anyone even like Mushroomy Kingdom? It’s terrible and a complete missed opportunity.
I kinda liked the way it played, but it should have looked like 8-bit SMB1.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
103 stages is a lot.  The extra six slots look . . . enticing.  And I would totally believe that Sakurai would pull a double reverse, knowing that people would scour the 103 confirmed stages and assume no more new entrants (at least from previously unrepresented series since each character/series has a stage).  But I dunno.  There's so much content already! How much more can he add?!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:48:30 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I honestly don’t understand how someone could feel dissatisfaction with this game.

Even so, there are two things that are infinite...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Holy crap that was some shoddy pixelation work.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I posted this in Talkback but I'd rather continue the discussion here so I'll dump it here also in regards to single player content.

There's been an All-Star Mode in every game since Melee. Highly expect that to be present in this game so there is another single player mode that I really think will be in.

I'm sure there will be the usual Sandbag and timed enemy fights like 100-Man Melee or Cruel Melee. There will most likely be Event Mode and scenarios as well. Would like to see a return of Break the Targets.

I'd expect some kind of checklist of things to play to unlock for trophies or songs. Still, it doesn't seem like Sakurai is bothering to keep some stages unlockable unless some of the 17 stages from the past Smash games not shown so far are hidden in the game as extras to find. Same goes for characters. Not sure if any are going to be kept unplayable at first or not. From the way the game is being presented, it kind of feels like all stages and characters are going to be available at the start but maybe there will be a few kept as hidden features to unlock.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
As far as single player goes, it's how I've mainly played Smash games and I've always enjoyed the challenge of acquiring all the trophies and unlocking all the secrets and other collectibles including playing through all the modes with each character. It's part of the reason why I liked Melee so much. A lot of characters and stages required some effort to unlock and gave motivation to keep playing through different modes and being surprised by their addition.

I wasn't a huge fan of Subspace Emissary compared to Adventure Mode in Melee although I did like playing through it to unlock some of the fighters and see their entrance videos that played with them. What I disliked about the mode is that Adventure Mode inspired this idea of interesting shared mash-up of all the Nintendo Franchises and characters together. I could be Pikachu or Kirby and yet I played through a bit of a Mario sidescroller attacking Goombas and Koopa Troopas like Pikachu or Kirby might in their games. I had to escape an exploding Brinstar like Samus hurrying to safety at the end of a Metroid game with a timer ticking down. I had to climb the Icicle Mountain stage for a bit dodging the Ice Climber enemies as if I was climbing a mountain in Ice Climbers before facing them "high up" the stage.

It was this interesting blending of getting a glimpse of Nintendo characters in other Nintendo Universes and I expected more like that in the future. What about a Donkey Kong Country of fighting some Kremlings? A Fire Emblem type map/level where you fight some other foes along the way to a goal and bring their HP down to 0? Play a Game & Watch game to reach a certain score to move on? There's a lot of interesting ideas I think are possible to blend these games altogether and sort of feel like an Adventure through Nintendo's franchises and worlds giving you a taste of them but with an interloper or out of place main character aside from when they visit their own franchise.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Subspace Emissary attempted to tell a story with bosses and cutscenes for you to play through as the characters all worked their way through the land to meet up at the final boss. I find it lacking, however, because you can't play Subspace Emissary all the way through as the same character. It's divided up and your switching characters or choosing from a few that are available for one part of the story before moving on to the next. So, it's not a cohesive complete journey like it is in Melee Adventure where the character you choose goes from Mushroom Kingdom to Bowser/Giga Bowser at Final Destination in the end.

Plus, Subspace is its own thing and universe with its own set of enemies and look. As such, it doesn't have that same sense of a Nintendo Mash-up like Adventure mode and Samus playing in a Zelda dungeon/cave beating up LikeLikes and Octoroks. The Subspace Emissary is foreign to all the Nintendo characters so Samus beating up the Subspace enemies doesn't feel silly, crazy, cool, what have you. It doesn't matter if it is Link or Mario beating up these enemies. They just aren't iconic of anything. Plus, the Subspace levels aren't really that interesting or highly creative. They're just simply things you move from one end to the other on beating up these enemies on the way. Adventure Mode had you running a lap on an F-Zero track of Big Blue while ducking for cover when the super face racers whizzed by as they zoomed along the track. The idea of hitting enemies with trophy stand bottoms to collect them is sort of like the Pokemon idea of capturing the monsters with pokeballs but it wasn't always that fun to pull off and was frustrating if you messed up and had to get some more trophy bottoms to try again. Thus, to me, Subspace Emissary was a step back from the future possibilities that Adventure Mode seemed to potentially have.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
With Smash Run on the 3DS, it felt like a blending of the two. You had all these familiar enemies of various games that could pop up along the map so you got a bit of that sense of blending of franchises and characters from other franchises having to deal with them using their own moves. I liked racing around to collect as many treasure chests as I could and getting myself powered up for an unknown final battle that could just be a race to the finish or climb as high as you can. The map/world itself wasn't really based on any Nintendo franchise but at least you played as one character in the five minutes you explored through it and since every character explore the same map it felt like a more shared user experience than Subspace and its divided fighters and levels.

Honestly, as simple as it was, I really did like it and played through it a lot with all the characters to unlock all their custom moves. I got a lot of play out of the 3DS as a single player experience thanks to Smash Run and liked it way more than Smash Tour. Can't really comment much on Special Orders since I have hardly played Smash Wii U. Smash 3DS gave me my fill of Smash as I unlocked all the trophies, special character moves, Smash Run power and beat all challenges. So, I've actually still got pretty much of all Smash Wii U to really play through and try to do the same but I just haven't gotten around to it because it just seems quite similar after doing all of this stuff in 3DS. With Ultimate coming out soon, it just feels like Smash Wii U is going to be more obsolete to bother playing through. For me, a lot of the Wii U stages are like new stages to me whereas the 3DS stages are a lot more memorable and special to me and I'm glad to see almost all of them returning.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Anyways, jumping back a bit to single player objectives. In Melee, it was about working to unlock all the characters, stages and trophies by playing through the various modes and meeting certain objectives. I loved it then and I still do as I've been working on the trophy and achievement hunt with Melee again after losing all that data in a corrupted memory card. There's something special about that game which still holds up. Love seeing all the Melee stages in HD with Ultimate. In Brawl, there were trophies and challenges to collect and beat along with songs to unlock and some characters and stages but there was also a lot of stickers to acquire as well to help you in the Subspace Emissary. Though I wasn't a fan of having to play the Boss Battle mode so much. I've never cared much for Boss Rush modes in any game really.

With Smash 4, stickers were replaced with bonus effects and custom moves along with the usual fare of trophies, songs, challenges. Characters weren't really hidden away though. Every 10 Smash battles gave you a chance to unlock the next character in the unlock rotation. Stages also weren't really hidden away that much which kind of disappoints me. I understand about tournaments and needing save files with characters and stages unlocked on all the consoles/game files being used and all that unlocking can be a pain but I've always liked that as the carrot at the end of the stick for me to work towards. At the moment, Smash Ultimate seems to be taking the approach that characters and stages are all there up front with nothing to find or unlock. That will leave trophies to collect and challenges to work on but I wonder if there will be some new type of collectibles in this game based on the hidden mode not shown.

Stickers in Brawl, custom moves in Smash 4 (which don't seem to be returning or were that highly received or welcomed from players) so what will Ultimate bring to the party? Or will it actually bring nothing at all in that regards as the focus often goes to the multiplayer aspects first with single player secondary so why add extra stuff no one is going to use?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
That Promo video was great. I still need to get a Switch. I'm moving back to my hometown. This might be the right time to go all into Smash Bros.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
All-Star mode is gonna be a beast this time around, especially if it still includes the echoes.

Select screens have had empty spaces in past games, so it doesn't automatically mean there will be more. But I have my doubts they've already revealed all of the stages in the game.

I wasn't a huge fan of Subspace Emissary compared to Adventure Mode in Melee
I feel the same way, and you pretty much explained anything I would have said about it.

I got a lot of play out of the 3DS as a single player experience thanks to Smash Run and liked it way more than Smash Tour.
Smash Run is one of the reasons I liked the 3DS game more than the Wii U one. They actually could bring it back for Switch since it can have local wireless play just like the 3DS, and if they brought it online, even better.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Having all of the stages upfront, but not the characters kind of bums me out since it's one less thing to unlock.  But with so many characters to unlock, I wonder how much I'll miss it.  I just know the trophies never really did it for me as unlockables because there were too many.  While getting them was fun, I never got the completionist urge to get them all.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Long live the king! He looks like one mean and crazy sog, just as he should be. Got tired of DK crew's loose, derpy demeanor over the last 20 years, so it's good to see a DKC character with some, dare I say, edge.

Oh and since it includes elements from all 3 boss battles (crown, blunderbuss, and whirlygig), it means that K. Rool is officially one person in the canon now, not clones or twins or an evil reincarnation 100 years later! Hooray! Not that it completely changes the 900 page fan fiction I may or may not have written, it's just an observation for gosh sakes!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Everything about the K. Rool reveal was great. It started off showing other fighters facing their enemies and my mind right away raced to DK not having his great nemesis of K. Rool in the game also. Then when it cut to show DK, I thought it had to be K. Rool. But then we had a great moment with Dedede to make me wonder if something else was actually going to happen instead. Just another reason why to like King Dedede. But then K. Rool was revealed and we got to listen to that awesome remix of Gangplank Galleon while showing off his various moves. Totally made the whole direct. Frankly, I loved the whole animation with DK and Diddy. I'd like to see what Sakurai could do directing a DK game now. I feel like he has some of the Rare sensibility with the characters based on that trailer. Glad that K. Rool was prioritized in being added over Dixie Kong. (Sorry Caterkiller.)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
That last scene when DK and King K Rool are charging at each other is incredible.