Author Topic: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?  (Read 63144 times)

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:20:01 PM »
Ok, we all know its coming out and going to be announced tomorrow(18th) at GamesCon. Sony is like a leaky faucet. (Ok, so if tomorrow its not announced I will look like an idiot)

So who will buy one? What would make you buy one? Do you think this is a great move for Sony?

Well I am buying one day one since the PS3 is my main console. It will be nice not to have a monster in my home theater cabinet. If it is at a price of $299 this will be a turning point for Sony, the maker of the greater HD console....
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Who is going to buy a PS3 Slim?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:03 PM »
Assuming the rumor of a PS3 slim is true (I don't treat rumors as fact), No. I got a PS3 last November and it works just fine. Based on the rumors, the ONLY benefit of the PS3 slim is that it is slightly smaller and MAYBE backwards compatible with the PS2. That will not convince anyone to buy a PS3. Considering Sony is still losing money on the PS3 at $400, I don't see how they could afford to drop the price to $300 (especially Sony as a whole posted a loss of over $1 billion last quarter.

I don't get why any existing PS3 owners would buy this either, except MAYBE those who bought a launch model 20GB version.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
If the price change is actually true, it certainly becomes a lot more pick-uppable; maybe I'm not entirely rational about such things, but to me, there's a vast gulf between $299 and $399 -- the latter is just too much, the former, is a definite hmmm.

If it's not a huge bloated pustule like the original PS3, that's also a nice plus.

I don't know how Sony is going to ever make any money at that price-point though.  Maybe they've simply gone insane, and will do anything to win, even if it means destroying the company...

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
I'm planning on getting a PS3 eventually, but this won't necessarily accelerate the matter.  I'm waiting for The Last Guardian to be released.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »
Probably not, I've paid enough on gaming hardware already.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:09 AM »
There's nowhere near enough on the platform for me to even consider buying one unless they cut the price in half and reintroduce backwards compatibility.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:34:14 PM »
PS3 Slim early Sept.

The PS3 Slim will have a 120GB hard drive, will consume 34% less power and will be 32% smaller. Oh, and the price? $299!

This is breaking within the minute!
~David~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
The PS3 went from being easily the least appealing console to me to the most in the last few years.  Originally it seemed all the good games were also available on the Xbox 360 but now I would say that it has the exclusives that interest me more.  What was holding me back was the price.  It was just too much money.  Now it's affordable, so I'll get it.

The Wii is not cutting it for me, plain and simple.  There are games on the horizon I'm looking forward to but they're too infrequent.  The third party support is crap and is not going to change.  Nintendo's first party releases are now split between the new market and the old so from my perspective their output is decreased.  And realistically I just don't seem to be a priority to them.  They don't care if I'm satisfied or not.  They're making money hand over fist so they're not going to change anything.  I feel like they're taking my support for granted.  But I'll still have my Wii and will buy the titles that do interest me.  Next gen is up in the air though.  Right now I'd say they've lost me for next gen if they maintain the status quo.

The question for me now is what PS3 game will I get first?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
GET UNCHARTED! Its amazing!
~David~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »
"so from my perspective their output is decreased"

That's a funny thought.  Even if you cut out the new market games, Nintendo's first party output seems to be identical to the GameCube's in the same time period since launch.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »
This version is cheaper and I was kinda mad at first (because I got mine 2 months ago) but it looks so fugly.
I'm glad I got the 80Gb PS3 back in June and there's no way I'm buying the Slimmer model.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »
Once I get a house I may pick up a Slim for the living room and the 70" HDTV I vow to buy.  For now,  my original 60GB with its upgraded hard drive (300GB) is fine.

Ian: You will love the PS3.  Definitely get Uncharted, MGS4, and WipEout.  Depending on what genres you like, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank, Hot Shots Golf, Killzone 2, CoD4, GTA4, Super Stardust HD, Street Fighter IV, LittleBigPlanet, Marvel vs. Capcom 2...also coming up is Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2, MAG, God of War 3...

Need I go on?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 03:04:50 PM »
^
Yes, I will pump the PS3 love out with you! :P
~David~

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
If Ian trades-in his Wii collection and system, he can get EVEN MORE value towards the purchase of his PS3.

You do the same, kraken618.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Some games I can recommend on the PS3 (yes, many of these are multi-platform. So what?):

-Valkyria Chronicles - Strategy
-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Action/Adventure
-LittleBigPlanet - Platforming
-Dead Space - Action/Adventure/Horror
-Silent Hill Homecoming - Horror
-Alone in the Dark: Inferno - Action/Adventure (Yes, the PS3 version is actuallly good)
-Fallout 3 - RPG
-Prince of Persia - Action/Platforming
-Bioshock - Shooter

This PS3 is mostly what the system should have been at launch, as it's priced just right with everything it should have except for backwards compatibility.  If there's any justice, it should beat the crap out of the Wii in sales along with the 360 now, but somehow I doubt it.  Hopefully Sony will announce a proper software update to fix backwards compatibility across the board for all the PS3s, just to sweeten the deal.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
"This PS3 is mostly what the system should have been at launch, as it's priced just right with everything it should have except for backwards compatibility."

Hmm, if it launched like that I can't imagine it being more than 3 PS2s taped together.  The initial cost of super tech is hard to escape.

"If there's any justice, it should beat the crap out of the Wii in sales along with the 360 now, but somehow I doubt it."

We know it won't attract the Wii Fit/Wii Motion audience, but it should help bite into those PS2 sales and grab system-delayed gamers.  The justice already took place, the market's rejection of a $600 system leading to its devaluation.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
Thats one thing about the Slim, I am going to wait until BC because my 80GB MotorStorm bundle PS3 does have BC. When there is a software BC fix I will be getting a Slim.
~David~

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
Yup, that's the last piece of the PS3 Slim puzzle.  Maybe they'll announce that at TGS, ahead of the holiday season.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »
Depending on what genres you like, [..] Hot Shots Golf

Wait, what? Why that when he could get Tiger Woods 10 on the Wii which is universally agreed to be THE definitive golf game?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »
I will buy it ONLY when they announce a suitable price for the UK. £200 is the upper limit i will accept.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
This PS3 is mostly what the system should have been at launch, as it's priced just right with everything it should have except for backwards compatibility.  If there's any justice, it should beat the crap out of the Wii in sales along with the 360 now, but somehow I doubt it.  Hopefully Sony will announce a proper software update to fix backwards compatibility across the board for all the PS3s, just to sweeten the deal.

Justice? The justice that lead to the stagnation of the PS1-PS2 era? The justice that would have caused the second video game crash if not for the Wii and DS? Sony suffered the consequences of their actions with the PS3 and PSP. THAT'S JUSTICE.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »

Justice? The justice that lead to the stagnation of the PS1-PS2 era? The justice that would have caused the second video game crash if not for the Wii and DS? Sony suffered the consequences of their actions with the PS3 and PSP. THAT'S JUSTICE.

You get him ShyGuy Gooberface.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »

Until the advent of the Wii, the PS1 and PS2 grew gaming more than Nintendo could have ever dreamed.  Sony got justifiably bitch-slapped by the market for pricing the PS3 as they did.  No one's arguing that point.  But the only thing Nintendo proved is that with a clever bit of marketing and a new interface that pretends to do more than it actually does (without an attachment that would come years later), you too can massively sell a console (mostly) without a worthwhile lineup of games so long as the people you sell it to just don't know any better.

Yeah, it sounds like I'm really coming down on the Wii, but I do like the console...on those rare occasions when there's actually a game I want to play on the thing.  I'm more disappointed in the Wii than hate it, mostly because we all know the next great wave of games for it is coming in the future.  It's not a graphical thing, either: I play more PS2 games on my PS3 than PS3 ones (and I do really like my PS3 games), and I have always said that if Wii games were at least as good looking as Final Fantasy X (in art design) I'd be perfectly happy with the system.  The Wii is just not enough for me anymore, and before this generation I was a die-hard Nintendo fanboy that had never bought a non-Nintendo system.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:03:19 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
The PS1 era was stagnant? I kind of skipped that gen and went with PC gaming for a while, but from my outsider perspective the PS1 era seemed plenty diverse to me. Sony managed to bring in tons of new gamers, developers where experimenting a ton with 3D gaming with often surprising and delightful results (Jumping Flash!, I love you!), publishers took way more risks bringing crazy Japanese titles to the West, etc.

I'm not even sure I agree the PS2 era was stagnant. Games were perhaps less crazy and inventive, but the added horsepower still made possible new concepts not really possible the previous gen, like the sandbox genre.

If any console gen shows stagnation, it's the current one. Even so, lots of imaginative titles are making it to us via download services. But the retail market is pretty damn unexciting, IMO.

...at any rate, I got a PS3 last year and I certainly would recommend the slim at that price. Make sure to download Flower, certainly one of the best experiences I've had this gen. And don't miss on Infamous and Ratchet and Clank, two titles that grabbed me way more than I could have possibly imagined.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:08:30 PM by Pandareus »