Author Topic: Famitsu Unveils New DS Titles  (Read 14763 times)

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Famitsu Unveils New DS Titles
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:48:23 AM »
Including a TINGLE RPG.  If that hasn't got your attention, then I don't know what will.

The latest issue of Famitsu has revealed more than thirty new Nintendo DS titles, including quite a few first party ones.  You can check out some screens on these new titles (including the aforementioned TINGLE RPG) at Famitsu.  Without further delay, here's what titles were featured in the magazine (please note that any release dates are Japanese):  

• Adult Brain Training 2  
  • Seiken Densetsu DS [Secret of Mana DS]  
  • Rainbow Island DS (Jan 5)  
  • Gyakuten Saiban 4 [Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney] (2006)  
  • Tales DS  
  • Daikoukaijidai DS  
  • Magical Vacation: When the 5 Stars Line Up  
  • ASH (Archaic Sealed Heat - Mistwalker RPG)  
  • Wishroom  
  • Kaitou Wario (Kaitou means 'Mysterious/Phantom Thief')  
  • Custom Robo DS  
  • English Training DS  
  • Tingle RPG  
  • Detect Hacker  
  • Densetsu no Starfi 4 [Legend of Starfi 4]  
  • Puzzloop DS  
  • Mario Basket 3 vs 3 [Mario Basketball]  
  • Crossword  
  • Jigsaw Puzzle  
  • Sudoku  
  • Bomberman Story  
  • SD Gundam game  
  • Stylebook series (Bandai)  
  • Ocha Inu no Heya  
  • San-X Dreamland  
  • Dangerous Jiisan  
  • Nobunaga's Ambition DS  
  • Dracula [New Castlevania Game]  
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!  
  • Tenchu  
  • Vs. Puzzle Papi Inu Vector Wan!!

Titles of Note    

Tingle RPG  
 The top screen shows Tingle holding a bomb with the number "9", while the bottom screen has a gigantic insect crawling around with what appears to be a big red target on it.  You can also see a bomb with many little balloons attatched to it near the insect.  Perhaps the game will play out similarly to the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker, where players did not control Tingle directly?    

Densetsu no Starfi 4  
 The fourth game in the Starfi series of games - the previous three were available for Game Boy Advance in Japan.  In this game, the top screen shows the action while the touch screen displays a map.  Starfi (as you may or may not have guessed) is a starfish.    

Mario Basket 3 vs 3  
 Basketball with a Mario flavour.  The top screen shows the action, the touch screen shows a layout of the court.  Confirmed characters include Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Bowser and Paratroopa.  There are also Question Mark boxes scattered on the court, including one with coins spewing out of it.  Looks like you have to hit those boxes when you have the basketball.  Turtle shells are also displayed on the touch screen, suggesting Mario Kart item mischief as well.  Finally, this game is Nintendo Wi-Fi compatible!    

Kaitou Wario  
 Not sure what to make of this platform game.  The top screen shows a Metroid-like map, as well as what appear to be power-ups.  There's also a clock shown - could this be timed, similar to Metroid?  It's definitely Wario, though - that Wario hat shown in the touch screen is enough of a clue!    

Thanks to Mario from our forums for the initial heads up, and TYP for assistance with this article.

It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Famitsu Unveils New DS Titles
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:15:26 AM »
I want the Tingle RPG, for the sole reason it will be trippy as hell.

IGN must be puking their guts out *L*

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 04:33:59 AM »
Hah, those were my first thoughts on the Tingle RPG exactly.  And what's the deal with not releasing the Starfi games out locally?  I know I've had a go of one of them before (can't remember which one) but it was great fun.  A nicely made platformer with great graphics and a hilarious running animation for the starfish.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 05:31:39 AM »
You forgot to mention that Mario Basket is apparently being deved by Square-Enix themselves...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
RE:Famitsu Unveils New DS Titles
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 06:17:02 AM »
What? By Square-Enix? Does this mean that SE and Nintendo are good friends again, or is this what Nintendo had to do in order for them to port FF3 and FF:CC to the DS?

Weird.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 06:53:25 AM »
"Square Enix president Yoichi Wada, in attendance at Nintendo's DS press conference in Japan today, officially unveiled the title. According to Wada, Square Enix approached Nintendo with the idea after realizing that basketball would be the perfect game with which to exploit the DS stylus."
~IGN  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 07:27:15 AM »
"You forgot to mention that Mario Basket is apparently being deved by Square-Enix themselves..."

They get Square Enix working with them and they come up with another Mario spinoff?  God I'm getting so sick of this.  There's no point in attracting third parties if they're just going to work on Mario spinoffs that Nintendo themselves could work on.  The whole point of having third party support is that they provide something DIFFERENT than what Nintendo themselves provide.

Anyway Wario looks awesome.  I find the idea of Tingle RPG really weird.  What is it with Nintendo and that guy?  They seem to love him a whole lot more than anyone else does.  I don't like the idea of Zelda spinoffs.  Too much Zelda is going to burn the series out.  Mario spinoffs started off great too and now my response to any non-platform Mario game is "meh".  Mario's boring because Nintendo has overexposed him and I don't want Zelda to turn out the same way.  Four Swords Adventures was awesome but so was Super Mario Kart.  The spinoffs start off innocently enough but next thing you know you've got Zelda Pinball.  This Tingle RPG might be awesome but I don't want Nintendo to start milking Zelda (ewwww).  Nintendo's got to cut back on their franchise games.  No one cares about Mario anymore and no one is going to care about ANY Nintendo games if they don't watch it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 07:40:37 AM »

No one cares about Mario anymore

Japan does! Super Mario Bros is the number one game there right now, and there are two other Mario games in the top 20.

Thanks to Mario from our forums for the initial heads up, and TYP for assistance with this article.

Yay! I keep forgetting about the send news to PGC feature, maybe I should use that more often.

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 07:45:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

The spinoffs start off innocently enough but next thing you know you've got Zelda Pinball.  This Tingle RPG might be awesome but I don't want Nintendo to start milking Zelda (ewwww).  Nintendo's got to cut back on their franchise games.  No one cares about Mario anymore and no one is going to care about ANY Nintendo games if they don't watch it.
Ok, if no one really cared about Mario anymore, why do Mario games still sell? Mario is a popular character. If you don't like then, well, you don't have to buy or play them. I don't see anything wrong with Pinball games (or real life pinball machines) based off of popular franchise/TV shows/Movies/etc. They are all fun to play because Pinball is fun to play.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 08:06:11 AM »
"Ok, if no one really cared about Mario anymore, why do Mario games still sell?"

Mario still sells within the Nintendo fanbase but it used to be THE game.  It was mainstream and everyone loved Mario.  Super Mario Sunshine was a good seller by Cube standards but it was weak compared to what Mario used to bring in.  Mario used to sell like GTA and Halo do now.  It doesn't anymore.  Only Nintendo fans who would buy a Nintendo console no matter what buy Mario now.  That's a pretty big drop for a former killer app system seller that would attract all sorts of people beyond the Nintendo fanbase to Nintendo consoles.  Mario used to be special and a Mario game, even if was a spinoff was a BIG deal.  Now they release like 8 Mario games and year so none of them are special.

It's like how Mega Man still sells but it used to be considered one of the industry's elite games and now it's not.  There's still a fanbase but it has become so played out that Mega Man games don't mean anything anymore.  Mario is getting into that territory.

Neil Diamond still makes albums.  So does Paul Simon and Paul McCartney.  But does anyone who isn't a diehard fan care about those new albums?  No.  They might still sell okay but they're not relevent anymore.  Mega Man and I'd say Sonic as well are like Neil Diamond and Mario's rapidly becoming that as well.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 08:23:11 AM »

They get Square Enix working with them and they come up with another Mario spinoff?  God I'm getting so sick of this.  

Just to play devil's advocate, couldn't Super Mario RPG be considered a "Mario spinoff"? Just wondering, as I have a unholy addicition to that game...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 08:27:21 AM »

It's like how Mega Man still sells but it used to be considered one of the industry's elite games and now it's not.  There's still a fanbase but it has become so played out that Mega Man games don't mean anything anymore.  Mario is getting into that territory.
Uh huh... Noone cares about megaman now, either? Ian, get outside a little more now and then. It will honestly help with your grasp on reality.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 08:31:53 AM »
Super Mario RPG comes from a time where there wasn't 8 Mario spinoffs a year.  Plus Square has already made the Final Fantasy's and Chrono Trigger and a whole bunch of other games that provided variety to the SNES lineup years before Super Mario RPG came out.

Plus Square is known for RPGs so Super Mario RPG was like a dream game.  I don't freak out about DDR Mario because it's clearly a Konami game that's different than anything Nintendo would make.  Super Mario RPG was different than a typical Nintendo game.  This is Mario Basketball.  Square has as much cred as a basketball game designer as Nintendo themselves.  There's no real special appeal in having Square work on this game.  Square's expertise (ie: RPGs) isn't being put to use.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 08:36:16 AM »
WHAT THE HELL I think square can do whatever it freakin wants.....

We are gettin a fully 3 d final fantasy (in traditional form not like ffcc)
Getting FFCC DS
A new Mana series game
Slime Mori mori rpg

Thats 4 nintendo ds exclusive games thats comin from square enix, if they want to make a damn mario basketball game leave them be.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 08:39:43 AM »
"We are gettin a fully 3 d final fantasy (in traditional form not like ffcc)"

What game would that be? FF3? I thought that was a port/re-make, in 2d.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 08:39:59 AM »

Square has as much cred as a basketball game designer as Nintendo themselves.  There's no real special appeal in having Square work on this game.  Square's expertise (ie: RPGs) isn't being put to use.
If I am reading Bill's post correctly, Square themself asked Nintendo if they could do it. That to me looks like Square wants to get experience with non-RPG material, nothing wrong with that. If it comes out good, it will show Square is more then just a one trick pony.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 08:45:07 AM »

We are gettin a fully 3 d final fantasy (in traditional form not like ffcc)"

What game would that be? FF3? I thought that was a port/re-make, in 2d.

Yep it was announced last night, square revealed that ff3 is going fully 3d on the ds, they also announced ffV and ffVI will be ported to the gameboy with "additional content".

Theres a blurry screenshot out there of the ff3 3d screenshot, and from what i could make out it looked really sharp and nice.

never mind found some screenshots.....

pic 1

pic 2

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 08:55:44 AM »
Erm...wow.  A complete remake.

No wonder its taking so long.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 09:04:34 AM »
Ian, you can't possibly win in this case...Square-Enix is working not only on Mario Basket (which they came to Ninty THEMSELVES, k?) but also FFIV and FFVI for GBA, FFIII remake, FF:CC, and Children of Mana for the DS...That's ALL they came up with, eh?

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 09:06:16 AM »
Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking here, but Ian is really pissing me off today.  I agree it is odd for Square Enix to be doing a Mario basketball title, but I'm sick of reading Ian's trolling posts.  He initiated the complete debasement of that 200+ post talkback thread, and I will not let him do so here.  If I see Ian repeat himself in this thread, I swear I will lock this thread up myself.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 09:08:55 AM »
*speachless*

With all of these games coming out for DS/GBA, my gaming needs are satisfied.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 09:09:53 AM »
Man... man... man...

Screw you square...  FF 1-6 is gonna be playable on the DS...

Now I need to go buy FF 1 and 2 for the 3rd and 2nd time respectively just so I can have them all....

/sigh

Do me a favor... You can do this for me... Don't make me buy a PS3... you are the only ones that really can....  Release all your stuff on the Rev too... I mean come on.....

please?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 09:11:48 AM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking here, but Ian is really pissing me off today.  I agree it is odd for Square Enix to be doing a Mario basketball title, but I'm sick of reading Ian's trolling posts.  He initiated the complete debasement of that 200+ post talkback thread, and I will not let him do so here.  If I see Ian repeat himself in this thread, I swear I will lock this thread up myself.

It's not all Ian's fault though... I've realized this recently...

Ian can have his stupid opinions... we can't take them from him.. What we need to realize is that arguing with him won't get anyone anywhere.  He's in a talkback thread... let his opinions mix with ours and all he'll look like is a crazy guy who looks a gift horse in the mouth all the time.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 09:14:51 AM »
Really Ian.  On this day when a MOUNTAIN of DS games are announced apparently AS exclusives, DS wifi debuted and looking simple as pie, and a wide range of third party support, you single out one game and write more doom and gloom?

This is getting pathetic to the point of being very disturbing.

You used to rant VOLUMES about how Nintendo should get third parties back.  You whined about S-E's support being token and half-hearted.  Now they are on a Nintendo system FULL FORCE and virtually exclusive along with a TORRENT of support from third parties and you complain about a Mario Basketball game as if it was the only thing shown that day?!

What the hell is wrong with you?!  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 09:15:41 AM »
"Yep it was announced last night, square revealed that ff3 is going fully 3d on the ds"

That's kind of cool though it's kind of odd that of all the Final Fantasy games to pick from to remake in 3D they pick the ONE game that we've never had in North America in it's original form.  It's a cool idea but if there was ever a time for a straight port this was it.  Oh well.  I'm sure Square will make liberal use of the Rev download system so we'll probably get it there.

"If I see Ian repeat himself in this thread, I swear I will lock this thread up myself."

Fair enough though I'm not the only person that repeats himself.  In the talkback thread half the time people countered my points with the exact same point someone made before so I had to repeat myself.  I'll leave the issue alone here though.