Poll

What do you think of the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?

Got it, and I think it's great! One of the best.
10 (58.8%)
Got it and meh, I only think it's ok.
0 (0%)
Actually, I think it's quite lacking. Sad I got it.
0 (0%)
Whoah there, money bags. $70 is too much for an opinion.
4 (23.5%)
Tried it, liked it.
1 (5.9%)
Tried it, didn't like it.
0 (0%)
This is the worst poll ever
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 12, 2017, 05:26:10 PM

Author Topic: Switch Pro Contoller  (Read 12038 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Switch Pro Contoller
« on: March 13, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
Hey, guys (and gals).

Wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on the Pro Controller and maybe get a discussion going.

Hopefully the poll has enough options.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Pro Contoller
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
There is some talks in an update they will allow the wii u pro controller to be used as well. Which is interesting, because they don't appear to be much different.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »
Switch Pro Controller is excellent even though the price is absurd. I had a gift card from work which worked out for me even if it doesn't change how I feel about the price. I also bought an extra AC adapter that is also absurdly priced. I deemed it a necessary purchase because I change both the controller and console without unplugging the dock.

I think I still like the Wii U Pro controller's analog stick placement a little more, but I get why Nintendo changed it (the right Joy-Con wouldn't work otherwise). I'd give the edge to Switch Pro Controller because it has matte finish, larger face buttons, and HD Rumble. Missed opportunity not coloring the face buttons like New 3DS though.
There is some talks in an update they will allow the wii u pro controller to be used as well. Which is interesting, because they don't appear to be much different.
Hmm, I doubt it. Wii U Pro Controller is missing key features. More importantly, Nintendo benefits immediately from focusing on Switch as a fresh start. Better to just not bring up Wii U whenever possible.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
I almost forgot I had a Wii U Pro Controller.  Pulled it out, and they're quite a bit different.  The grip and feel are better on the Switch Pro, IMO.  Main things would be the size of the Z-buttons, placement of the right analogue stick, and the size of the face buttons on the Switch Pro.  Almost forgot how much I liked the Wii U Pro Controller, but the stick placement made it seem designed for FPSes, which. . .yeah.

Speaking of the button size, that's one of the things I really like about the Switch Pro Controller.  But that's mostly stemming from direct comparisons to the JoyCon.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
It is just too expensive for now.  When the price drops, I will likely get one.  I have adapted to the JoyCon for Zelda, with the benefit being the ability to hold my hands at different angles.  The main thing I miss is the D-pad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
The Switch Pro Controller is my favorite traditional-style gamepad I've ever used. I've found myself playing Switch on the TV more than I thought I would just because I love that controlelr so much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
I got to try it for a bit and really liked it, but I just can't justify the purchase right now. I have a feeling Splatoon 2 is going to benefit from it significantly and I'm going to play that game a ton, so that's likely when I'll pick one up.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »
The Switch Pro-Controller is a million times better than the Joy-Cons by nearly every metric. I hate that I keep having to spend extra $$$ on controllers because Nintendo feels the need to re-invent the wheel with every gen. The fact that they need to keep making  "traditional" pads por their consoles should be enough of a hint that this won't end well...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »
The Switch Pro-Controller is a million times better than the Joy-Cons by nearly every metric. I hate that I keep having to spend extra $$$ on controllers because Nintendo feels the need to re-invent the wheel with every gen. The fact that they need to keep making  "traditional" pads por their consoles should be enough of a hint that this won't end well...

That's overstating it, I'd say. If you're playing a single player game in TV mode, it's the best option, but the joy-cons definitely have their advantages, and the biggest selling point of the system in handheld mode wouldn't work nearly as well without them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
I hate that I keep having to spend extra $$$ on controllers because Nintendo feels the need to re-invent the wheel with every gen.
Your problem isn't really with Nintendo then because every console maker does this.

In fact, I think Wii U may be the first time a console maker expected people to regularly use its previous generation controllers on its new hardware. Nintendo Land was built around players using the Wii U Gamepad and Wii Remotes. Then, Nintendo quietly admitted most people didn't want to use either controller anymore.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »
joy-cons definitely have their advantages, and the biggest selling point of the system in handheld mode wouldn't work nearly as well without them.

I don't care at all about handheld mode. I'm playing it on my lunch hours mostly for the novelty factor but in a month or so it'll stay anchored to the dock almost all the time. I already find the small travel distance of the Joy-Cons sticks to be annoying, plus the lack of a D-Pad, plus the general uncomfortable nature of holding it as a handheld.

I hate that I keep having to spend extra $$$ on controllers because Nintendo feels the need to re-invent the wheel with every gen.
Your problem isn't really with Nintendo then because every console maker does this..

Huh? The controller that came bundled with my PS4 has worked perfectly for the year and a half I've had it. My beef isn't with having to buy new controllers every console generation, it's with having to buy an extra "traditional" pad because the main controller solution Nintendo offers for their machines is lacking when it comes to the way I want to game. But I already knew I was adding that cost when I purchased the Switch.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »
Huh? The controller that came bundled with my PS4 has worked perfectly for the year and a half I've had it. My beef isn't with having to buy new controllers every console generation, it's with having to buy an extra "traditional" pad because the main controller solution Nintendo offers for their machines is lacking when it comes to the way I want to game. But I already knew I was adding that cost when I purchased the Switch.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. My bad.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:55 PM »
I honestly don't think I would be playing the switch as much as I do without the Pro Controller. It's so comfortable and fits my hands very well. My only wish is that the triggers were analog.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
Price is the only problem with the pro controller.  I think the fit feels like the better parts of the PS4 and Xbone controller, with nice big face buttons.

That said, I think I somewhat still prefer playing with a joycon in each hand, at least if i'm just exploring or shrine hunting.  Something more relaxing about being able to just rest my hands at their sides.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
Yeah, after my hands adapted, I prefer split controls for most things.  The sticks aren't bad.  Much better than the 3DS circle pads.

Online Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »
You forgot the option "I can't seem to buy one because they are sold out in my area and I refuse to pay inflated prices for an already pricey item".

Cheapest I have seen it is $90 on Amazon. Wish I had pre-ordered one with my Switch, but that's water under the bridge.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
They were in stock at Amazon for the standard price earlier today, but it seems like they've already shot back up.

J.P. Corbran

Online Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Nintendo can't even keep controllers in stock. They really need to get someone on board who understands production better. This is beyond strategic shortages when it has been going on for years. The NES Mini still can't stay in stock longer than 10 minutes, and it's controllers are hard to come by as well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »
The Wii U Pro Controller and the Wii Classic Controller were like this early on as well. For whatever reason, Nintendo always underestimates demand for this kind of thing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
He also forgot to include options for people who don't own a Switch yet.

This is the worst poll ever.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 06:41:29 PM »
It's fixed now. 8)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
He also forgot to include options for people who don't own a Switch yet.

This is the worst poll ever.

Sorry, it was meant to be exclusive.  I wasn't expected non-converts to even read the poll.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »
I lucked out. There was one Best Buy in the area that had some Pro Controllers on launch day. I'd like to get another one eventually. I hope Nintendo releases them in blue.

Sadly, there are no carrying cases.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
It's expensive, but it's a damn fine controller. Picked one up on Sunday.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
I'm surprised at the lack of availability on the pro controllers.  I would've thought Nintendo shipped them 1:1 with the consoles, but maybe that wasn't enough or they just under shipped.