Author Topic: Blade Strangers: Smash Bros. for the games you've never heard of!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile

Since the most popular (coughandmostoverratedcough) indie character has been added to the roster, I guess it's acceptable to talk about BLADE STRANGERS!

Developer Studio Saizensen of Umihara Kawase and Code of Princess fame(?) has teamed up with Nicalis to deliver a cross over fighting game with simple inputs, a high skill-ceiling, and yes, a bunch of characters you may or may not know. The characters were first rendered in 3D and put into various key frames for animation and then redrawn as sprites, giving them a high-detail, yet consistent look.

The current (supposedly final) roster:
  • Curly Brace (Cave Story)
  • Quote (Cave Story)
  • Solange (Code of Princess)
  • Ali (Code of Princess)
  • Liongate (Code of Princess)
  • Master T (Code of Princess)
  • Kawase (Umihara Kawase)
  • Noko (Umihara Kawase)
  • Emiko (Umihara Kawase)
  • Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
  • Isaac (The Binding Of Isaac)
  • Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
  • Lina (original)
  • Helen (original)
Each character has three color schemes and a home stage. Make no mistake, although this game is said to have approachable controls, it is still a classic fighting game in nature and will feature advanced techniques. That being said, is anyone else interested in this? I'd post videos except embedding on this forum is a complex and unrewarding prospect. As a budding FGC hipster, I will definitely be picking this up, so if you're down for some matches, holler at me.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Blade Strangers: Smash Bros. for the games you've never heard of!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:06:16 PM »
That being said, is anyone else interested in this?
I am. I’m still undecided so Blade Strangers has been sitting in my Save for Later list on Amazon for nearly a year now.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »
I'd love to have a demo, honestly, so I could get a feel for how it plays. This is one of two Nicalis games that are coming out in quick succession, both priced at 40, so I'm on the fence on which one I should go for (the other being Code of Princess EX).
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
Since the games I've actually played only represent 3 of the characters, I can't say I'm particularly intrigued, but it sounds like something worth keeping an eye on.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.