Author Topic: What games do you think best use the Wii U GamePad and why?  (Read 10950 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: What games do you think best use the Wii U GamePad and why?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
I used to have two TVs set up next to each other, but now, I just use the computer for a TV show if I want that.

Problem solved!

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 03:38:05 PM »
I wondered this myself, with all the fuss about the Gamepad are there any games that make it worth owning or is it something people defend just because it's there and Nintendo told them to like it so they do?  I remember people bitching about it before launch and the faithful clamoring how great it was and they had to try it before they judge it, now it's out and people tried it they have mixed views on it those same people are saying just try it or that it isn't being used correctly, if they can't find good ways to make use of it in every game than it should not have been mandatory because if even Nintendo is running out of ideas it was a mistake period.If Off TV play is the best they can do that could have been an Android/iOS app.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
The DS/3DS have a touch screen and a lot of the best titles for it either limit touch controls or dispense with them entirely. I think a bigger problem is that it is too similar to being a giant DS/3DS. I think it is a great component of the system, and it is doing fine for me, but Nintendo needed something a bit more new and innovative to catch people's eyes and drive them to invest in the system.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
There are plenty of games that use the GamePad well, but very few for which it's really essential. Nintendo and other developers are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, where people complain if games force the use of the unique inputs where they don't really make sense, but also complain if games don't use them at all. There's also the fact that using he GamePad in a major way either eliminates or gimps off-TV play, which is a selling point for a lot of people. I know I'm a lot less likely to buy a Wii U game if it doesn't have off-TV play.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
I'm really interested in what Nintendo has in store in the realm of NFC. The possibilities are endless, and if anyone can make a novel use of it, Nintendo can. Then again, that's what a lot of us said about the GamePad...  :Q
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 07:41:50 PM »
I think Nintendo Land wins hands down because, so far, it is the only title that has given truly unique game experiences with the asynchronous multi-player games like Mario Chase, Metroid, Luigi's Ghost House, Zelda, etc. The person on the gamepad plays with everyone else but is doing something different. It is unique and fun as hell. Also, some of the games use the gamepad camera to put a real-time image of the gamepad holder's face on the T.V. and that is some unexpectedly hilarious **** for the other players.

Other notables are Sonic and All Star Racing Transformed where two folks can race without having to use split-screen and, similarly, Call Of Duty Black Ops 2, where two folks can do local or online multiplayer, again without having to use split-screen. This is excellent.

Zelda Windwaker also does a good job with inventory management.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline terribledeli

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
Pokemon Rumble U. If only for the NFC functionality.
Wii Fit U for the connectivity between the Fit Meter and the Gamepad.

Barring those two, I'd go with Game and Wario. I felt they were a better use of the gamepad than NintendoLand, even if the game wasn't as strong as NintendoLand.
NNID: terribledeli
3DSFC: 0645-5771-9850

Offline PSap29

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
In Lego City Undercover, the GamePad feels like a tablet.  You have your map, objectives, phone, and even "apps" on it, and everything works really well.

In Batman Arkham Asylum, it's used for your map, as well as for viewing and getting Wayne Tech upgrades.  It can also be used to steer the remote control batarangs, but I prefer using the joystick for that.

The inventory management in Wind Waker HD is amazing.  I know Ocarina of Time 3D did it first, but this perfects it.  Being able to just drag and drop items to equip them or switch to the map by just tapping the screen is so fluid, unlike having to pause the game for those same functions.  Zelda games from here on out should be designed with a second screen in mind.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:09 AM »
In Lego City Undercover, the GamePad feels like a tablet.  You have your map, objectives, phone, and even "apps" on it, and everything works really well.
I wished it went further than that. Off TV play is much more convenient, my nephew loves that game, but when he's playing it that means TV is occupied.

At least with Mario, i can give him gamepad, sit him in the corner with headphones and myself play whatever on my other consoles on TV.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline PSap29

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure Lego City has off screen play.  I just don't remember how to do it off the top of my head.  I think it's the minus button, but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure Lego City has off screen play.
Nope.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
I'll give my opinion on the original question without stealth derision of the two-screen concept or class warfare. My favorite so far is Wonderful 101. Although the "on pad" camera control is sometimes flakey, the idea of solving a puzzle with your characters inside the pad while seeing the effect or feedback on the TV was really neat. My honorable mention is to Deus Ex HR DC, since the map is critical in that game and the WiiU gamepad map is _MUCH_ better than the normal game's on-screen, in-corner map. In fact I just ordered Mass Effect 3 for cheap because it was ported by the same team and has a similar 'super mini map' on the pad.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! I can see myself reflected in the black screen of the gamepad and it makes me ponder aging and how much time I have spent playing games. Playing DKC:TR is a very somber and existential questioning affair. It is brilliant!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
There's an interesting feature: having games where the gamepad is just running the camera so that you can watch yourself play.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
There's an interesting feature: having games where the gamepad is just running the camera so that you can watch yourself play.

reverse VR?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »

I hate that feature in Starfox 64 3D. People don't want to see the other persons face all contorted while playing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »

reverse VR?

Forward narcissism.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.