Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 454915 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #775 on: April 08, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
I haven't watched the Nintendo Direct, but the new info is nice. The alternative was the daily Miiverse updates which are nice; I love getting bulk info.

I doubt this is anywhere close to the full roster. I still expect Mii, Pac-Man, and Palutena as far as newcomers go, maybe a couple more. Some veterans like Captain Falcon and Ness are MIA as well.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 08, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
With what has been shown and what has been said, I'm not expecting much more content than what we've seen. I don't think they're going to be trying to stuff it full of content since they can just sell it as DLC later.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #777 on: April 08, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
I liked the Nintendo Direct.  I think the variety in the Final Destination stage will make playing that way much more tolerable.  I was hoping for more than one new fighter though, and Greninja was kinda WTF.

I loved the extra details on the announced fighters.  That was neat and answered a lot of questions for me.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Heh. I read the name and thought it was Shedinja the ghost/bug monster they added as a playable character.

I was reeling for a minute.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #779 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
Now, THAT would be out of left field.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 08, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
After the disaster of Brawl online lag and disconnects, I was hoping they would work to resolve those issues in the next title.  Did anyone catch the following statements in the Nintendo Smash Direct?

"The Wii U will have online multiplayer as Brawl did... The 3DS version will have online multiplayer as well. Of course, if your connection isn't smooth you won't be able to play comfortably, so I hope you will find a way to connect at a fast access point to get ready for online.  For optimal results on the Wii U version, I recommend using a wired connection.  It's naturally more stable than wireless."  They even threw in a image of a Wii LAN adapter.

Is online going to be another Brawl disaster?  If customers experience Brawl levels of lag, is Nintendo going to tell us to purchase a Wii LAN adapter?  /facepalm

I hope I am wrong, they really did fix their past Brawl online mistakes, and there won't be anything to worry about.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:22:45 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 08, 2014, 10:32:20 PM »

Is online going to be another Brawl disaster?  If customers experience Brawl levels of lag, is Nintendo going to tell us to purchase a Wii LAN adapter?  /facepalm

Eh, I saw that as being along the lines of the Nintendo that issued Wiimote fleshlights and friend codes. Watch out, your internet performance may dip and you might become badly confused and frustrated!

Greninja is bothering me less. I guess it makes sense that they'd add a new Pokemon from XY, and it's probably worth it if they do indeed axe the full triad of the Pokemon Trainer. And now they can save better reveals for E3. I am getting increasingly nervous that Jigglypuff is gone, though.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 08, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
It seems like a really dumb move to make the LAN adapter remark at this point. All it does is get people worried, and even if it's unnecessary, people won't know that for 8-9 months.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 08, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »
The Villager's final smash is the greatest thing ever.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 08, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »
Indeed it is. Mega Man's Final Smash looks good too. Pit's new Final Smash may pave the way for Palutena to be playable (it also looks cooler and more importantly, useful). I'm glad Kirby's Final Smash is now not awful.

I haven't played Pokemon since Blue so I had no idea who Greninja was, but he looks like an interesting addition. I'm still hoping Mewtwo is brought back. Not because he was even that great in Melee, I just want as many returning characters as possible.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #785 on: April 08, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »
I'm hoping the LAN adapter remark was Sakurai's way of saying "Don't blame us if YOU'RE internet is shitty!".  I'm hoping so hard.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 08, 2014, 11:49:13 PM »
By the way, I've been seeing some people say that "for Wii U/for 3DS" are the final titles, but I looked and couldn't find a source for this. Is there one, or are they still placeholders?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2014, 12:36:54 AM »
My thoughts. 

This Direct was a great Nintendo Direct.

It basically confirmed 4 new-ish characters.  Zero Suit and Shiek are now 100% individual characters and are basically new characters now.  It is awesome and I know that adds more options for true female characters.  Also, the 2 newish Pokemon are nice.  One is completely new the other is going to be drastically reworked...and I don't think the other Pokemon will be individual characters.  I think they picked the best of the 3 that could be fleshed out. 

I also feel they gave us a lot of information and still held information back.  I really like the new moves and character changes that are being done.  I also really like the idea Smash Run, and that will be a killer feature for the 3DS version...and it is something that can only be done on the 3DS version...since I am sure they want to keep all potential modes playable in a party environment on the Wii U. 

It looks like Wii U's custom feature will be the custom moves...which could be interesting...but could also ruin the balance of the game.  Also separating out the for fun and for glory is a great idea...it gives two different levels, but I do wish that they would have a few more levels for play.  Final Destination is good...but I also feel some standard 2 and 3 platform levels with no random or moving elements would work for tournament play as well. 

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
I'm extremely pissed that they axed one of Brawls most unique characters and yet fucking toon link was one of the first ones confirmed to be returning.

My oninion on the trainer: maybe cut ivysaur off but squirtle and charizard have great potential together as a dynamic of racking up all of your damage with squirtle and then having to switch to charizard to get the kill.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2014, 02:34:20 AM »
Don't assume that Pokemon Trainer is out. 

Now that there are no characters switching...probably because of the limitation of 3DS, the Pokemon Trainer seems less likely.

However, there isn't a single character switching character anymore...so maybe that role will be distinctly the Pokemon trainer with different Pokemon.  Maybe only 2 Pokemon instead of 3...and perhaps maybe different generations of Pokemon.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2014, 03:50:44 AM »
Despite my apathy for new Pokemon characters, I'll go fucking ballistic if Jigglypuff is cut. That's really my issue here. I even made up for the horrific Brawl nerfing somewhat, I can't let that investment go.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2014, 04:13:22 AM »
That Smash Direct was fantastic. Talking purely from a viewer perspective because i still don't understand how i am supposed to play it despite many attempts.

Marth being fabulous:

Male trainer failing his moves:

Bros circling around back to back badasses:

No words:

Amazing looking background (reminds me of Lexx season 4 with two planets conjoined by an atmosphere):

Oh and Mac is basically a Street Fighter character, he has an EX gauge, focus attack, shoryuken attack, and most of the Dudley's moveset: boxing punches only, lunge attack, cross counter (i am pretty rubbish at SF too, but at least i understand it...). Maybe he can be my gateway character...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
By the way, I've been seeing some people say that "for Wii U/for 3DS" are the final titles, but I looked and couldn't find a source for this. Is there one, or are they still placeholders?
I don't think they were ever placeholders. I've even seen reserve cards at Target with these names. IGN seems to be the original source for this info. I'm still hoping for an 11th hour change because like I said before, I really like Clash/Rumble as subtitles. It isn't looking very likely at this point.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 09, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
The Villager's final smash is the greatest thing ever.
yes, yes it is
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 09, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
Really enjoyed this Direct. Watched it last night with my son and we were then inspired to break out Brawl and have some matches. I even beat him a couple of times. Of course, he mostly handed me my backside but it was very fun.

Not exactly looking forward to having to shell out for 2 or 3 copes of the 3DS version but I may have to so me and the kids can really get into it together. Of course, they do get an allowance...

I will, however, spring for the Wii U version a little later. All good from my perspective.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #795 on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:29 PM »
I was thinking about HOW to change Pokemon trainer, and what could be cool is if they only have 2 Pokemon available instead of 3.  This could represent the idea of a 2 on 2 battle instead of with 3 characters, and help potentially with the game needed to have so many characters in memory.

But then how do you make the character more interesting?  Final Smashes are evolutions for the characters...that are permanent for the rest of the round.  Imagine, leveling up your characters to allow all their attacks to become more powerful, and have better stats in general.  This would be a pretty cool gimmick. 

Oh course for tournament play Pokemon evolutions could be achieved by KOing 3 or 4 characters with one Pokemon.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 09, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
One interesting thing is the removal of waddle dees/doos from dedede's arsenal. On the one hand a gordo is much more powerful but on the other in brawl waddle dees/doos could not be reflected back at D³ by things like a Franklin Badge or the Star Fox reflector (although using such a device would cause them to do no damage.)

I also strongly hope they do something about kirbyciding and chain grabs. Kill the first one for sure and make a chain grab much easier to escape from.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 09, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
What? Caterkiller hasn't come in to comment about Ridley!? FOR SHAME CATERKILLER!

The Yellow Devil explanation made me smile. Originally I thought they'd bring back the Adventure Mode of Melee and use characters from games, not made up Space whatever baddies. To know he'll appear in the Wily stage just makes me happy all over, and the fact that you can destroy it and cause damage to other players is icing on my Mega Cake.

I'm not a huge pokemon fan so the new guy doesn't really wow me, but he does look cool, and Charizard looks like a beast! Can't wait to try my hand at Charizard, and Little Mac looks fun to play as too.. Damn I need to just dish out the money for a 3DS so I can play this sooner rather than later.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 09, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »
What? Caterkiller hasn't come in to comment about Ridley!? FOR SHAME CATERKILLER!
He did in Talkback
He looks great! Too bad for Ridley though. Boss confirmed...

My only hope is that what was clearly the Other M clone Ridley is the boss while a playable original Ridley is an actual character. Like Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:08 AM »
The more I started thinking about Zero Suit Samus...the more the design frustrates me, and it really is a Japanese problem.

No, I am not upset about her bust appearing to have grown from last time...that is just an annoyance that gamers have to deal with.  But what is the deal with the rocket high heels? 

It is quite annoying to see female heroes drawn to wear the worst shoes for any real combat system.  It is really frustrating with Samus, because I have always felt she was a character about female empowerment. 

The design of her heel rocket shoes just looks stupid, and not very functional...and they should have been boots period.

**end rant**