Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 131244 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon!!
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2015, 11:46:23 AM »
I still don't know why Nintendo is not making a very hard push to get Sports games.  They are in that cross section of the Venn Diagram that Nintendo needs.

Sports games are considered mature but, can be watched by your 4 year old with no problem really.  They have a dedicated fan base.  Just would be an excellent stepping stone to a mature image.  That is where I spend my Money Hats.  Establish your console as THE place for the sports fan.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »
Problem is that EA owns that market and Nintendo and EA are not on the best terms. This goes back to the point about Nintendo learning to work with others to get their consoles supported.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
Its also brings back that I think its not good for the industry to have a whole genre pretty much monopolized.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
EA doesn't care about Nintendo, so they should have no issue with Nintendo setting up partnerships to make sports games for their systems.

EA hardly "owns" the market anymore. They still have the 800 pound gorilla exclusive deal with the NFL, but sales have been down two years straight. Their only other major property is FIFA, while NHL and PGA Tour games have fallen to niche status(the latter is no longer a yearly release). Their NBA game is trash and collegiate sports games are now a thing of the past.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
BTW Ian, you enjoyed Sunshine, and Galaxy but dislike the NEW games, fair enough but have you TRIED 3D World, it really is a top tier easily one of the best Mario games ever made, a Mario fan would be doing themselves a disservice not having that game alone.

I don't really "dislike" the NSMB games.  They're fun and all but kind of generic and certainly not something I would buy a new console for.  I have one friend with a Wii U and played 3D World multiplayer at his house once.  I found it dull in the same way I find the NSMB games.  But to be fair I never liked playing Mario multiplayer and I can't play at my own pace when my friend who has already beaten the game and knows every nook and cranny is speeding everyone along.  I don't think I got a fair assessment.  Now I have played a bit of 3D Land but again just couldn't get into it.  I think some of it might be that I'm Mario'ed out.  I need a break for that sort of gameplay to become fresh and exciting to me again.  It's the problem with sequels being too frequent and Activision, Ubisoft and EA have outright killed franchises by not realizing that.

As for Nintendo's future if they fix the third party support they've basically fine.  They can stick to Mario and Zelda forever then and it won't hurt them because the third party support will provide the variety.  Everything else seems like what to do to work around poor third party support.  Fix that and they have a lot more freedom to do whatever they wish because there isn't the burden to carry the console on their backs anymore.  The tricky part is that fixing this problem requires them to fix many other things.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
They only hold the NFL exclusive? I thought they had a lot more of them. Plus I am sure the NFL can choose to loosen up the licensing if the price becomes right.
My Game Collection

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »
I guess if you have their handhelds it is different, but I get that being Mario'ed if that is how you feel, I am the opposite its the only franchise I am consistently happy with, Mortal Kombat is right up there though.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
I still don't know why Nintendo is not making a very hard push to get Sports games.  They are in that cross section of the Venn Diagram that Nintendo needs.
The problem is that sports games don't sell on Nintendo consoles unless it's a Mario game or Wii Sports or something along those lines.  The NCAA football games sold so poorly that they stopped making them way back on the Gamecube.  Even with as amazing as Tiger Woods was using motion controls, it didn't sell enough to for them to make the 2013 version on Wii. EA re-invented Madden to try to appeal to the Wii audience its sales still paled in comparison to the other consoles.  I wish they did sell better and I think it'd be awesome if Nintendo were to make a push for more sports games but I doubt it'll happen.  I think the vast majority of people who own Nintendo systems that are interested in sports games also own another system and play their sports games on that system.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »
Eh, I don't think there's much they can do to get third parties back, short of bankrupting themselves with money hats. The harsh reality is that it's not in the interests of the big publishers to maintain three different console ecosytems now that virtually every major title gets a PC version. I doubt titles like Assassin's Creed do big numbers on PC, but nonetheless it's apparently worth it. Take PC out of the picture and I imagine those port teams could just as well be applied to WiiU, which again would have small numbers but marginally worth it. The way things have gone there's no bandwidth for two such marginal platforms, and one is worse than the other.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
Eh, I don't think there's much they can do to get third parties back, short of bankrupting themselves with money hats. The harsh reality is that it's not in the interests of the big publishers to maintain three different console ecosytems now that virtually every major title gets a PC version. I doubt titles like Assassin's Creed do big numbers on PC, but nonetheless it's apparently worth it. Take PC out of the picture and I imagine those port teams could just as well be applied to WiiU, which again would have small numbers but marginally worth it. The way things have gone there's no bandwidth for two such marginal platforms, and one is worse than the other.
Unlike the WiiU though at some level every game is developed on the PC and most of the time you get a PC version because it happens to exist anyway for the most part.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »
Man, we derailed this thread so bad, it's off the tracks and in a cow field two miles over.

Back on track, an exciting wooded lake kind of course was displayed on the official Splatoon Tumblr. Apparently Squid die in water?

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »
Let's take the annoying "Yoshi can't touch water" part of Super Mario Sunshine and bring it back!  YEAH!!

Geez, maybe the original intention really was to do another Sunshine game and they decided to instead turn it into it's own thing.

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »
I like it, it adds to the game play possibilities. With using paint to cover things the goal is to paint over your enemies but if you add water being a danger it opens up new ideas, like someone mentioned a clean up crew option but that would in fact be the death squad instead.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
You know that was clean water.  These Squids can Swim though Toxic Paint.  Maybe there Salt Water or Toxic Water Squads.  Captain Planet will be revealed to be the end boss.

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »

Sports games are considered mature but, can be watched by your 4 year old with no problem really.  They have a dedicated fan base.  Just would be an excellent stepping stone to a mature image.  That is where I spend my Money Hats.  Establish your console as THE place for the sports fan.

This actually doesn't make any sense as Nintendo used to make sports games and not just Mario stuff or Wii sports stuff. They should at the very least bring back the level of Mario sports games that was on GameCube for this system just to get some more software sales going.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2015, 03:49:12 AM »
For those with a Nico Nico account, there is a live-streaming event of Splatoon:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv206922276
(It's just the E3 2014 demo, sadly.)

EDIT: The first day has concluded. Here is the second: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv206922246

If you don't have an account, check out the Splatoon tumblr at:
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

The account translates some of the tweets of @SplatoonJP.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:59:04 AM by Enner »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »

"-The interview is with producer Hisashi Nogami, who is known as the director of every Animal Crossing up to City Folk, and directors Yusuke Amano, who also directed NSMB2, and Tsubasa Sakaguchi, who was a character designer on Twilight Princess and art director on Nintendo Land.
 -The Inkling city (where the plaza is) is known as 'Highcolor/Haikara City' in Japanese.
 -The concept of two teams of four shooting ink in a turf battle has been there since the original prototype, even though the characters where tofu-like blocks at the time.
 -They experimented with other team sizes, but found with more than four players felt like they had little effect on battles, and with less than four that they had too much responsibility.
 -Killing/attacking opponents online to prevent them from painting ink is just one strategy to win. You get no points or advantage directly from doing so.
 -Hero mode uses basically the same controls as online matches, so anyone with difficulty in the can use the hero mode to practice.
 -Ideally, you'll be matched with players of a similar rank to you (based off of experience points earned in matches). If not enough players, they'll put you with people further away from your rank. If there's only 8 players, you'll be matched together.
 -While online is focused on just painting the ground, hero mode focuses on using the ink to move forward.
 -Amano says he wants you to be able to look at the map on the GamePad and see where needs to be worked on for your team.
 -No way to directly communicate with people you've been randomly matched with. They will appear post-match in your Plaza, where you can check out their gear, weapons, and comment.
 -They picked squids because they were the best at representing the gameplay present in the prototype.
 -Music for stages is random. Possible that I'm misunderstanding, but each player will have a different song while playing.
 -Music is designed to be the sort that would be popular with the young Inklings involved with the turf battles.
 -Rather than making some huge number of stages, they want to create stages that feel different when you use different weapon combinations.
 -You don't earn money for gear in single player for balance reasons. Someone could grind money in hero mode and have their first online match with high level gear.
 -In the final stages of development now.
 -Aiming for, more or less, a simultaneous worldwide release.
 -They plan on supporting the title post-release."

Can't chat with teammates in a team-based shooter?  Thanks Nintendo :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:30:12 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
1) The game can't be just random matches.
2) Jesus Christ there needs to be friend chat. There just has to be. The game is worthless without it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
No way you can't chat in some fashion in this game, that would be...insane.

I wonder if I can buy 1-888-SPLATOON and set it up as an old school party line?

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2015, 12:38:37 AM »
Can't chat with teammates in a team-based shooter?  Thanks Nintendo :(

If you know the mode (there hasn't been any additional mode other than Turf War) and the map, you can make due with out voice chat. With the generous fast travel to nearly any point on the map, you can buddy up with a teammate quickly. With all the ink tracers, spotting the enemy should be easy enough. The low player count puts less of a need on calling out opponents. The only real loss I can see from not having voice chat with randoms is not being able to do post-death call outs or organizing a complex flank or push.

I come at this from playing many silent, lonely rounds of Battlefield 3. Battlefield 3 on conquest or rush is a complex beast, but I had fun without talking to anybody. Granted, the times when I was playing with friends was much more engaging.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »
Personally, I rarely use mics because randoms are such worthless teammates, with or without a mic. Rarely will there ever be a situation where a mic can help you win if you are losing. But a good portion of the shooter community overall likes mics in-game. This is ridiculous that it isn't included when it has been around for over a decade. If they are trying to protect people or some crap like that, then add a mute button.

You have to at least be able to chat with friends in the same match in-game. That is a must for a multiplayer shooter nowadays.

So its not just me who has never heard a mic in BF3?
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
I have muted my COD matched for years now. I only turn it on when I play with a friend who want's to use a mic.

I have hope since they are supporting the game post-release. They could patch in support if the demand is high enough.
My Game Collection

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
So its not just me who has never heard a mic in BF3?

I was playing the PC version which had no in-game Voice Over IP. Maybe there was some in-game voice solution for 4-person squads, but that has been largely abandoned for Mumble.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
On PC WoW Ventrillo is Popular, Teamspeak was on MWO,  I saw Mumble around a bit with other parts.  These solutions are great for PC but, for consoles since you can't use them on the console itself where you can on the PC.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
Why Splatoon Doesn't Have Voice Chat

The explanation from Co-director Yusuke Amano:
This is coming from personal experience. [...] When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me, 'You're crap. Go away.' So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming.
The shorter explanation: People are mean sometimes.

Good God, Lemon, that's fucking weak. Ymeegod mentioned in another thread a couple weeks ago that Hisashi Nogami axed voice chat, but it looks like at least Amano is on the same page. That's a shame. I was hoping that the younger guys heading projects would eventually usher some changes within Nintendo once the older producers retired.

If negativity during online matches is such an issue, leave it up to players to turn off voice chat, or at the very least enable it only among friends. Insult-based humor is a part of every friendship because it isn't meant to be personal.

Goddammit, Nintendo...