Author Topic: Nintendo DS Games Coming to Wii U Virtual Console  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo DS Games Coming to Wii U Virtual Console
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
I think can Address all of your concerns right now.

Why was it a more of a Priority than 3DS?
Why would you want a Portable game on the Big Screen?

Three simple words:
Elite Beat Agents

Now you can easily share the insanity with your friends/family/hostages.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline geckog7

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
bring back commodore 64 on virtual console!!!!! and amiga games too!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
Okay so I can play DS games on my 3DS and I will be able to play DS games on the Wii U.  But if I want to play that same game on BOTH I have to buy TWO copies.  Come on, Nintendo!  That's archaic double-dip bullshit.  What we really want is the ability to buy one game and play it on the go or at home in the method we prefer.

The VC is just a shitshow.  We have this game on this platform and this one on that one and it's all arbitrary what goes where.  If Nintendo ever goes under some company is going to buy their IP and do VC right and it will make Nintendo look like the stupidest jackasses.  This is a fucking goldmine.  You have this huge library of classic games and you just need one service that lets you buy them and play them on any Nintendo device that could conceivably do so.  I imagine the 3DS might have trouble with Gamecube and Wii games but other than that they should be able to handle everything, even the Virtual Boy in theory, and the Wii U could handle everything from prior generations.  Nintendo has a fistful of money in front of their face and they're slapping it away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »
Has this been announced for 3DS? I thought it was Wii U only for the time being. If you're implying that you can play your physical copy on 3DS then have to buy a digital copy to play on Wii U, I'm not sure how you expect Nintendo to reconcile that. Sony hasn't figured that one out either. It could be that Nintendo announced this for Wii U first to drum up interest (since Wii U clearly needs a win way more right now) then enables this for 3DS later. I believe Iwata said everything will be tied to your Nintendo Network ID (eventually, but better late than never I suppose) so a single purchase might be the plan. If Nintendo announced DS games for both Wii U and 3DS, that helps Wii U far less. I wouldn't jump the gun of this just yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Iwata just said that universal accounts on a single software platform are on their way.

It's my guess that VC had been sorely lacking because Nintendo is waiting for this update to unleash VC 2.0, that is one purchase, all play. Large library of previously released VC games (entire Wii VC) at launch.

I'm also guessing that this update is scheduled to happen early summer with the "quick start menu" update for the GamePad that will be delayed to late fall.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
Have you been a Nintendo fan for a while? I would love them to have a massive vc update, but the only thing likely that you predicted is the quick start delay.

Universal accounts just mean that I can buy 2 Wii Us and have the same content on both without paying twice. It doesn't mean buy 1 vc game and have it on 3ds and wii u. Universal accounts are certainly no reason to gimp vc now. If Nintendo can sell me the same game twice they'd do it in a second.

@Adrock there are ways Nintendo could give you credit for your 3ds games, but I'm sure they won't. I'm curious on the pricing. DS games are cheap and playable on a current console and are still sold in stores. Would they sell them at > $10?

Offline latchet5

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »
Personally I think this could work out pretty well, as long as they have good selection, and allow for consumers (us) say which titles they wanna see, there are a few DS titles I can't find anywhere, and if they do this right, we could have some of the harder to find games here, which will be fantastic for those of us who can't find a copy of it in the first place.
Please don't stalk me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
Have you been a Nintendo fan for a while? I would love them to have a massive vc update, but the only thing likely that you predicted is the quick start delay.

Universal accounts just mean that I can buy 2 Wii Us and have the same content on both without paying twice. It doesn't mean buy 1 vc game and have it on 3ds and wii u. Universal accounts are certainly no reason to gimp vc now. If Nintendo can sell me the same game twice they'd do it in a second.

@Adrock there are ways Nintendo could give you credit for your 3ds games, but I'm sure they won't. I'm curious on the pricing. DS games are cheap and playable on a current console and are still sold in stores. Would they sell them at > $10?

I'm just speculating as to why the VC had more or less been ignored since launch, although I admit I haven't checked in it for quite some time, so I have no idea what they are offering right now, but they have to have been doing something in the background to have only bright over a small handful of games that are/were available in the Wii.

We know the quick start menu update is planned for early summer, but I'm guessing it will be delayed for technical reasons, which I'm hoping includes some sort of VC update (among other things like universal accts) to help usher in this

that I hope we get to see.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 04:00:29 PM »
Okay Nintendo, this is your second chance to bring Chou Soujuu Mecha MG to the West. Don't **** up.

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
As awesome as this sounds, I'm not ready to jump in. I would have rather have DS VC games on my 3DS. I also find if funny how Nintendo announced this yet not have any GC or GBA games available on the VC.

Offline mustbeburt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »
As awesome as this sounds, I'm not ready to jump in. I would have rather have DS VC games on my 3DS. I also find if funny how Nintendo announced this yet not have any GC or GBA games available on the VC.

Or N64 games!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

Or N64 games!

Or most of the other systems and games that were already on the Wii.
Don't expect this to come about anytime soon. I think Nintendo is still trying to work something out with the VC before they start releasing stuff regularly.

I'm hoping they figure it all out by the time that summer update comes along.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
i've been looking for metriod:prime hunters for AGGESSS!
Nintendo Release it   on eshop!!!
Made you look ****.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
While I am a little pissed that DS games are not announced for the 3Ds eShop. While having them for the Wii U is nice, it would be nicer to have them on the 3DS. Nintendo could make the update available for tomorrow, but I think that it is a cleverly disguised excuse to continue work on the VC and a unified account system to be revealed later in the year.

Nintendo should release a 3DS/DS player for the Wii U just for the people who do not want it digitally.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
Just be glad this is even a thing.

I wonder if multiplayer is being considered either with crossplay or split screen and two Gamepads. I'm not really sure how Nintendo handles this either. Some DS games such as Hotel Dusk would look ridiculous analogously with the TV in place of the top screen and the GamePad in place of the bottom screen. Others kind of defeat the purpose of playing on a TV since they use both screens as a single screen. Splitting Contra 4, for example, between the TV and GamePad would practically make it unplayable as some of the bosses would be next to impossible. Games will hopefully be ported on a case by case basis with special consideration so they make sense.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
If you hold your GamePad so that it looks like it connects to the bottom of your TV from your perspective, then you have a DS with a continuous screen.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »
I seriously doubt anyone wants to play video games like that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »
It's not ideal, but it's doable. No reason to not being a game just because you don't think it's worth the arm exercise, someone else may be willing to do that... QoL and all ;)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
I didn't suggest not bringing a game over entirely. Rather, certain games should be altered to make it work. Using Contra 4 as an example again, instead of splitting the screens, have the TV display both screens on the TV (or GamePad if there's an off-screen mode). It's more work for the developers, but it's the only way some games will even be playable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
But all the games will be playable if you hold the GamePad up to the TV, because then the Wii U is exactly like a DS in setup. May not be the most comfortable, but no software alterations needed.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
First, it's not really the same set-up. They have different aspect ratios and an independent lower screen. I feel like that will affect things more than you realize. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Second, are you really arguing semantics? Yes, they're "playable" in that you can play a game awkwardly holding the GamePad up to the TV, but why would anyone want to? That's like accepting a poorly made game because at least it boots up. Have you played Contra 4? You're not hitting anything if you can't line up a shot correctly. Have fun preventing one hit deaths by holding the controller up to the TV because yeah, that's how people play video games all the time. If you're okay with playing some of these games in an uncomfortable position for the entire duration of the game, that's great and all. I'd strongly prefer developers make changes where appropriate. It just seems like a waste otherwise.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »
Well, Brain Age is one of the first titles announced as a DS title to be made available and hose games required you to hold the DS in the book/sideways format. The way that is adapted to the Wii U should explain how they would probably do other games that require special DS set-ups.

My guess is that for Brain Age, both screens are just shown on a single screen, either the TV or Gamepad, with a small black bar down the middle to divide them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
I guess this means I won't be getting a 3/DS Player accessory. :(