Author Topic: New Game from Monolith Soft Revealed  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
New Game from Monolith Soft Revealed
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

It looks like a Xenoblade sequel! It really does!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/33093

A new Wii U game devoloped by Monolith Soft was announced during the latest Nintendo Direct.

Tentatively titled X, the trailer showed gameplay very similar to that of Xenoblade Chronicles, but with mechs and vehicles unseen in the original Wii title. In addition, a male who looks very similar to Xenoblade's protagonist, Shulk, was shown right before the trailer's end.

No release date for the title has been announced.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: New Game from Monolith Soft Revealed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
I've barely scratched the surface of Xenoblade and I'm hyped for this new game. Just awesome news.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
I guess I should get around to actually playing the game then. Gamefaqs, I choose you.

Offline mysticgohan

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
I get a very Xenogears feel to it ;)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I just...

I haven't even completed Xenoblade yet.

But this game. It looks amazing.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »
OH MY GOODNESS. OH MY DAYUM.

Uh, yeah, I'm gonna need one of them Wii Us.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Monolith does Mechas again? Woohoo!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
I am extremely happy!!!! But also slightly disappointed... Just because this is HD doesn't mean you have to only use grays and browns Monolith! Not entirely joking.

Seriously though I just hope we get those lush colorful environments like Xenoblade.

If this is a direct sequel I expect Sulk in Smash for sure.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
Yeah I agree with Caterkiller about the greys and browns.  Are HD graphics just too realistic looking for lots of colours?  Does it look silly?

I have no completed Xenoblade yet and I'm probably a long ways away from doing so.  I've been real busy so I haven't been able to play any games for months.  But this busy period should be over by March and getting back into Xenoblade is something I'm specifically looking forward to.  It's such a good game that while playing it I honestly think to myself "as disappointed as I have been in the Wii, this one games makes that purchase worth while".

So would I buy a Wii U for this and Pikmin 3?  I can see it, but only fools buy a system for games that aren't out yet.  I've seen too many people get burned by cancellations or the resulting games just not being very good.  I've got time to these come out and hopefully that will let me see how all this matches up with the PS3 and Xbox 360 successors as well.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »
Whoa!   That's a day one preorder for me.   It does indeed look like a direct sequel to Xenoblade, though with the way that game ended, you could very easily have a direct sequel that doesn't require any knowledge of the first game, except for characters saying stuff like "Remember when all that stuff from the first game happened?"

The mecha aren't completely out of left field, either.   There were mechs/mecha/walking tanks in Xenoblade, just piloted by NPC's or "townspeople" in Colony 9 (the first town at the very beginning of the game).   There was even a sidequest where you had to fetch a part to fix one that had crashed.

On top of that, the end of the game had some Machina walking around the remains of Colony 9 "improving" their technology.  I think it was Otharon who said to Vanea "Wow, your Machina technology is much more advanced than ours"
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
I've only had a good 3 or 4 sessions with my copy of Xenoblade, the last save was right before Colony 6 after what appeared to be the first true boss encounter, which leads to me believe I'm VERY early on in the game..

and even I'm not surprised by Mechs appearing in what seems to be a sequel to this game. Who are these people that think it comes out of left field?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Neifirst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
That's it.  Right there.  The only game I truly bought a Wii U for.  I don't care if it's not until 2014, but I will have that game day one.  Good show, Monolith and Nintendo!

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »

Offline Monteblanco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
Looks a lot like Xenoblade but uglier. Hopefully, the final game will include some more colourful scenarios.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
Have you even played Xenoblade? The entire games wasn't all super-colorful. There were many parts of the game where the environment was incredibly bland.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
I couldn't help but stare when this trailer finally played. Makes me even more curious as to what Retro Studios is doing. Monolith Soft has start to put down their cards. Time for it's sibling in development to do the same.

I really need to finish Xenoblade. It's been slow going for a while because of work, etc. However I'm so excited about this new game I'm going to make the time to finish now.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
Have you even played Xenoblade? The entire games wasn't all super-colorful. There were many parts of the game where the environment was incredibly bland.

Yeah, you're right, but they definitely weren't the parts we want to remember, are they?   I would say the early game parts were the most jaw-dropping, by far:  Colony 9, Bionis Leg (how amazing is the Bionis Leg!?).   Satori Marsh, OMG.   

The bland parts were basically the ones that were all indoors:  The cave bit between Colony 9 and the Bionic Leg, anything inside the Mechonis , and that High Entia Tomb Place .    Oh, and maybe inside the Bionis

But the absolutely beautiful parts of the game were so numerous.   And you may not agree, but the first time I entered the final "level" of the game, my jaw dropped, and kept dropping.   Absolutely amazing.   Despite the fact that, admittedly, having that kind of world as the last level of a JRPG is kind of a cliche.    How many times has a JRPG ended in space? 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
I'm so glad It's going to take me forever to finish Xenoblade because I just went and spoiled the ending by reading your post. I'll likely forget by then :)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:20 PM »
I just got a chance to watch the trailer, and oh my god I want this game right now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
Just because I do like some forums on GameFAQs (mainly for The Simpsons: Tapped Out), I clicked on a thread about this game and some troll was trying to say Nintendo fails because they say it looks no better than a Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 game.

Anyways, it looks good to me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20