Author Topic: Pokémon X and Y Revealed  (Read 11169 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Pokémon X and Y Revealed
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »

It's new Pokémon, dammit!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32929

Pokémon X and Y have been announced for 3DS release later this year.

The games were announced via the special Pokémon Direct hosted by Satoru Iwata. The games feature entirely 3D graphics and new Pokémon. 

New Pokémon include Fennekin (Fire-type), Froakie (Water-type), and Chespin (Grass-type). Two larger new Pokémon were also shown, but not named.

The games will be released worldwide in October this year.

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
Re: Pokémon X and Y Revealed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:29:54 AM »
YES! Goodbye sprites, welcome 3D models. Fennekin, I f***in' choose you, day 1 purchase! I need this inserted directly into my veins ASAP.
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:37:04 AM »
Yes! I've been wanting a NEW Pokémon for quite some time. Black and White and Black and White 2 are pretty different from the others, but to me, Pokémon should have moved on to a new visual style awhile ago. Is that crossing the line, Pokéfans?  :P:  I'm pretty sure that I'll buy this. Looks pretty fun. I haven't been this excited about Pokémon since 1998.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:46:30 AM by The_Dan_x »
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:21 AM »
I see a 3DSXL in my future.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chiramii

• View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
Yes! I've been wanting a NEW Pokémon for quite some time. Black and White and Black and White 2 are pretty different from the others, but to me, Pokémon should have moved on to a new visual style awhile ago. Is that crossing the line, Pokéfans?  :P: :  I'm pretty sure that I'll buy this. Looks pretty fun. I haven't been this excited about Pokémon since 1998.
I was about to say. My hype level has reached new heights with this announcement. Simultaneous worldwide release, badass stag legendary, and no Fire/Fighting starter this time!

Graphics looks a bit jagged but the game will look better on the 3DS screen surely, + they still have 9 months to work on this game. Excite! (I'm ordering my Pikachu 3DSXL right now!)
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:14:13 AM »
Wow!  This is a megaton announcement and they couldn't wait  for e3 that's amazing , it looks pretty and new and this will help 3ds allot

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:13 AM »
The fact that it's a simultaneous worldwide launch is kind of a big deal. Good on Nintendo for finally managing to do this.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a Pokemon fan (I really enjoyed Yellow when I was a kid but the only one I've played since then has been Heart Gold which I didn't finish), but if the mood strikes me I could see myself picking one of these up.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
They didn't talk about the Pika Walker.

Alright Pokemon Male and Female.  Get your 3D Breed on.

Seriously enough.  I'm hoping for Organ Battle music.  How can it be a 3D Pokemon without Organ Battle music?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »
A universal release date is huge news. That's news worth hyping.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
I haven't played Pokemon since the original Red, but I might jump on this. Looks like the step forward I've been waiting for from this franchise.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »
Though looking at the video some I would like the view pulled back quiet a bit.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Wow! I had good feeling this is what was coming, but a world wide release?! Kowbunga!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
Finally a true Pokemon game for the 3DS. I haven't been this excited for the next pokemon since Gold. The last game I played was diamond 6 years ago and it was okay. This game, with all the great network, spotpass and streetpass capabilities of the 3DS, is exactly what I'm looking for.

Monster Hunter 3DS
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fire Emblem
Luigi's Mansion 2
and now Pokemon?

What a strong year it's going to be for my 3DS.  They  need to release a Black XL pronto!
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
This looks like the 3D Pokemon game I wanted them to release on the N64 or Gamecube.  I guess Nintendo really does insist that the "real" Pokemon games are strictly for handhelds and they just needed to wait for the handheld technology to catch up.

I don't like the cell-shaded graphics but I pretty much hate ALL cel-shaded graphics, and the look of a game is forgivable if the gameplay is solid.

I can see a 3DS purchase in my future because of this.  I've wanted this game for over ten years!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »
3DS is going quadtriple platinum. So much for Apple pushing handhelds out of the market.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
I hope X and Y means cross-hybrid Pokémon.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
I'm really liking Chespin, Frennekin and the red Y bird dragon Pokemon. And the third version will most likely be Pokemon Z.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »
I'm probably showing my ignorance of Pokemon by asking this, but is Froakie really the first time they've created a Pokemon that's similar to a frog? You'd have thought they would have already used the frog motif already.
Gouge away.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
I'm probably showing my ignorance of Pokemon by asking this, but is Froakie really the first time they've created a Pokemon that's similar to a frog? You'd have thought they would have already used the frog motif already.

Yar har har!
Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath are all Tadpol Pokemon.
Politoad in Gen 2 is a frog or a toad.
Gen 4 has Groagunk and Toxicroak.
Gen 5 has Tympol, Palpatoad and Seismetoad.

In this very trailer there is a statue of Palpatoad.

So yeah there are a few frog/toad Pokemon and I love them all!

Froakie is going to evolve into one of the United States' founding fathers. Probably into who ever wore the biggest powdered wig. I think that's where the inspiration comes from. That and foamy tree frogs when they mate in the trees.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:55:40 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »
I'm kind of with ian on this one, I was a fan of Red back in middle school and this is the pokemon I was waiting for...

never played anything after Red, not counting the stadium games, but the look of the subsequent releases kept me from purchase for the fact that moo progress was made. I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but I read all I could on the sequels and while new features (and creatures!) were there, it was never anything that interested me enough into diving back in.

while its a little superficial, it suited me to wait all these years because otherwise I would of been burnt out on the series by now, and a facelift wouldn't of been enough to get me interested.. but now I'm interested!

now I just have to decide if I want to get a 3ds now our keep holding on for a redesign...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
now I just have to decide if I want to get a 3ds now our keep holding on for a redesign...

If you're going to get a 3DS primarily to play this new Pokemon I say wait until after E3. Who knows? They might, indeed, announce a redesign.

Waiting would mean not being able to play Fire Emblem for a few months though.

Swings and roundabouts.
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
If I'm going to get a 3DS for this game, why don't I just wait until the game comes out?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
Well if you being a 3DS just for this game I think that obligates you to get the Pokemon 3DS that is surely to come out alongside this.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
Well if you being a 3DS just for this game I think that obligates you to get the Pokemon 3DS that is surely to come out alongside this.

Only if it has Squirtle on it.  Pikachu's presence is an automatic no-buy.

Offline Chiramii

• View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
Graphics looks a bit jagged but the game will look better on the 3DS screen surely, + they still have 9 months to work on this game. Excite! (I'm ordering my Pikachu 3DSXL right now!)
After re-watching the Pokémon Direct on my 3DS I was surprised by how great the game actually looks on the 3DS screen.

October, you're so far away...
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL