Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545644 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3650 on: November 26, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »
it has been a while since I saw Fahrenheit 9/11. I watched it at theaters when it came out, and I didn't care for it. I'd have to watch it again, being that I'm far more older/wiser/informed to see how I feel now.

Bowling For Colombine 6/10 - I find this "doc" misleading, and pretty invalid.
Sicko! 9.5/10 - This move, however was great
Capitalism a Love Story 8.9/10 again good, but it loses points because I liked Inside Job better
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: November 27, 2012, 01:09:08 AM »
The problem with Michael Moore is that too often his films are actually editorials, not documentaries. FAHRENHEIT 9/11 is the worst offender of this practice, at least of his movies that I've seen. Moore's personality in his movies can be a good thing because he's entertaining, but when his opinion runs rampant over facts and objectivity, then you have problems. And I probably agree with Moore's politics more than I disagree with them.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:51 AM »
Torra Torra Torra
Part Japanese and part English, this is a pretty interesting docudrama about the events leading up to pearl harbour, showing the Japanese formulating it's attack plan and the internal power struggle between the Japanese navy, army and emperor but also how the attack was made possible due to politicians in Washington tieing the navy's arms behind it's back and a series of blunders on the part of the military top brass. Ironically, the only boring part of the film, in my opinion, was the actual attack on pearl harbour.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:23:44 AM by Lithium »

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: November 27, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
But is it better than the Michael Bay classic PEARL HARBOR?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: November 27, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is one of my all time favorites. It is also not a typical "Oscar-type" movie. And that scene where Chigur is chasing Moss in the hotel and the streets? You have to be insane to call that boring or not intense.

Speaking of Oscar-type movies, I watched THE ARTIST last night. I really did not like it. Copy and paste the exact plot from SINGIN IN THE RAIN except switch out all the lighthearted fun for tons of moping. I think there may be something there about how the artifice of Hollywood affects the actual humans that are part of it, but I found the character of Valentin to not be sympathetic at all which kind of ruins that potential theme. He makes his last ditch silent film and literally mopes from that point on until the last two short scenes. More than half the movie is Valentin moping. Even when other characters for some reason remain completely loyal to him, Valentin continues moping. The actors playing the leads (and the dog) are charming enough, but that wasn't enough for me. In terms of 2011 movies that were nostalgic for the past, both WAR HORSE and HUGO were much better than THE ARTIST. And seriously, just watch SINGIN IN THE RAIN again.

I actually thought The Artist was a cross between Singing in the Rain and A Star is Born. That said, for me, it is the best Silent movie I've ever seen. Better than the Chaplin's and Battleship Potemkin and Sunrise which I had at the top before seeing it. I was really excited to see it last year when I first heard about it from news about the Cannes film festival. It was such an interesting experience to be in a theatre like that when it finally got wide release. The opening when it is just silent and you suddenly feel self-concious chewing popcorn because it seems so loud. I enjoyed it but I was disappointed because the story did seem so familiar and not that fresh. The main actor did remind me quite a bit of Gene Kelly which didn't help the Singing in the Rain comparison. That said, I do like that it is a bit more of a realistic presentation of what the introduction of sound was like to the silent movie stars. They were basically forgotten and let go incredibly fast.

I actually ended up watching all the Best picture nominated films before the Oscars which was the first time I'd ever done that. My ranking of them is as follows, from best - worst:

The Artist
The Descendents
The Tree of Life
Midnight in Paris
Warhorse
The Help
Moneyball
Hugo
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Personally, if The Descendents or The Tree of Life had won best picture, I'd have been fine with either of those choices. For me, The Descendents was the more emotional and moving picture yet something about it seemed a bit lacking. To give it a title of Best Picture compared with others that have come before, it just didn't feel like it had that caliber. The Tree of Life really impressed me for the first hour or so and I was literally thinking that this is one of the best movies I've ever seen but then I lost that enthusaism in the second half and the ending really just left me a bit bewildered to try and sort out what the final theme or message was supposed to be. In the end, I think I was also pulling for The Artist to win as a sort of message to Hollywood in response to big dumb films like Transformers 3 and to maybe get studios back on track to making movies of the style of the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. Plus, it still felt unique and a bit special compared to the other movies released that year which I think helped it also.

Let's face it. Some years are just weaker than others. Some years, you get an On the Waterfront and some years you get a Gentleman's Agreement. It's timing. That said, I happened to see The Artist playing on one of the movie channels and started watching it about 20 minutes in and found myself liking and appreciating it more than the first time I saw it so I'm still happy it won.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »
You say THE ARTIST is your favorite silent movie and then you say you were disappointed the story was familiar and the actor was a lot like Gene Kelly? All of the silents you listed are revolutionary, creative, and very influential films. Even if you think THE ARTIST is good, which I do not, it is none of those things.

Also, as much as I wish movies like TRANSFORMERS 3 would stop being made, a quick look at its box office totals tell me that's not going to happen anytime soon. TRANS4MERS starring Mark Wahlberg is coming in 2014. Get hype.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: November 28, 2012, 04:52:38 AM »
I havent seen The Artist

but my 4 top silent movies are
1. A Trip to the moon
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
3 Metropolis
4. Nosferatu

this would pretty much be most people's stereotypical favorite silent film list.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »
Total Recall (2012)

There is absolutely no reason for this movie to exist. It's a worse movie in every way with blatantly blasé homages that aren't remotely clever. It's humourless, PG-13 bloodless violence, cg rendered, non characters performing actions with general apathy reserved for brushing teeth. The actors are capable of so much more, but the script gives them nothing to work with.

Almost nothing works properly in this movie, right down to the world the characters inhabit. It just doesn't make any sense. Full of missed opportunities and of the ones that are exploited results in backfires. The film is way too long. Many of the classic scenes from the original are mangled and stretched out like jerky in ever increasingly misguided attempts to try to one up the original. The only thing in this movie that does work is Kate Beckinsale's character who is a fusion of two characters from the original and part of it is because I like her very much.

Do yourself a favor and just head down to the nearest video rental or online and just watch the original Total Recall instead. Arnold is fucking awesome and is a far better movie.

SkyFall

I found it immensely enjoyable. The action is great, well shot, plenty of tension. The homages to the previous Bond films are generally well used and some of them are straight up clever. The villain has to be seen to be enjoyed. The themes running through it are strong and in many ways not your usual Bond films, but make no mistake, it is Bond. It's deeper, more character driven Bond, no space lasers or villains trying to corner the water market, great Bond girl, the camera work is gorgeous with some slight over use of colour filters at times. Most of the dialogue is witty and well written, although is marred by the odd face palm moment usually driven by product placement or forced by computer hacking magic.

The stunt work is phenomenal and the stunt people definitely didn't risk their lives in vain.

I managed to avoid the internet in regards to information about this film and if the internet told you this is a bad film, you were told lies. A lot of the criticism is of the same kind that Dark Knight Rises got, but for these two films this is definitely one of those situations where if you hated the film, you never understood it in the first place or you never watched it. I would understand if you were apathetic towards it, but to hate it is absurd and unwarranted.

For those who haven't seen any Bond films or even the Craig Bonds, don't worry, it is pretty much a standalone movie, but if you have seen the other Bonds especially the ones with Judy Dench in it, you will get a lot more out of it. That said, still feel free to skip Die another Day and Quantum of Solace, both retched movies that make most of the Roger Moore movies look like Oscar Gold.

Go watch this.

For Perfect Dark fans this is most likely a coincidence There is an elevator scene where the architecture is extremely reminiscent of the Datadyne elevators that run through the above gound levels of the building.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
I haven't seen anything bad being said about Skyfall, yet.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3659 on: December 03, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
Something bad about Skyfall... hmmm, I almost cried there near the end. Damn movies trying to make me cry, shame on them!

Really, I was a tad disappointed by the villain. Reminiscent of Goldeneye.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: December 03, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
You say THE ARTIST is your favorite silent movie and then you say you were disappointed the story was familiar and the actor was a lot like Gene Kelly? All of the silents you listed are revolutionary, creative, and very influential films. Even if you think THE ARTIST is good, which I do not, it is none of those things.

Also, as much as I wish movies like TRANSFORMERS 3 would stop being made, a quick look at its box office totals tell me that's not going to happen anytime soon. TRANS4MERS starring Mark Wahlberg is coming in 2014. Get hype.

Heh yeah. But that is because The Artist has decades of technology and film-making expertise to use to make it a solid movie. Earlier in this thread, some people made some comments about falling asleep watching movies. The only time I have that problem is watching old silent movies. They can lull me to sleep. I never had the problem with The Artist. It kept me entertained throughout and, while there were times the filmmakers might have been showing off their technical ability in some scenes, those still helped keep me engaged. The sound effects and music were much tighter and better integrated in this film than in early silent films. Chaplin came closest to this with movies like City Lights and Modern Times but I don't have those soundtracks on my iPod yet I do have some of The Artist's.

I guess you could say, I appreciated the artistry of it all. Plus, SPOILER ALERT, I did like the ending. First of all, I recognized the Love Music from Vertigo playing which is one of the top 5 greatest peices of music ever written for the movies. Funny enough, at the time, I was disappointed that the composer used this to help increase the emotional intensity of that finale instead of making something original but after thinking about, it is such a great peice of music, why not use if it is available? A lot of times when I think of movies to make in my head, I often think of scenes with an already written peice of music playing in my head with it, so if I do that, why fault the composer from doing it? I like the misdirection of the BANG and that in the end, he becomes a star again, not with his voice or by talking, but with his feet and dancing which it established he could do early in the movie. It's perfect because by that point, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers would soon be appearing so it just felt a bit more clever to me. Plus, I like a good feel good tap-dancing routine. Each time I see, it makes me a little joyous.

So, yes, I still say the The Artist is a better film than those other revolutionary films.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:18:26 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3661 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:36 AM »
I just rewatched Space Jam, the best movie ever made. It's also canon.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: December 04, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
Space Jam is such a good movie that I'd even watch it as a Broadway Musical.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
Shame about Total Recall (2012)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

I am not a Star Trek fan, but honestly and seriously, WRATH OF KHAN is everything I want from a film. It's a terrific popcorn movie that's brilliantly structured, funny, suspenseful, has great character arcs, and thematic depth! It really does it all. I just love how the Genesis Project, David, Kirk feeling old, the young crew on board the enterprise and Spock's death all fit together thematically. Khan himself is a fantastic villain and watching him and Kirk trying to outsmart each other is great. I'm also a fan of how the space battles are played like submarine warfare. A smart choice. I first saw this after seeing JJ Abrams' reboot and I didn't like it, but I was very wrong. WRATH OF KHAN is a masterpiece. Everyone should watch it.

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:42 PM »
Seven Psychopaths 9/10

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
Lol @ TrueNerd spoiler-tagging a movie from 1982!

(shhh, E.T. isn't really dead. Watch the flowerpot!)
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: December 05, 2012, 12:05:14 AM »
Hey man, I would have been upset had that been spoiled for me before I saw it. It's one of the most powerful moments of the film. I hesitated writing it in my post at all. Just because movies are old classics doesn't mean everyone's seen them.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: December 05, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
wasn't trying to be a dick, just struck me funny
In fairness, that part of the film is pretty famous, especially among the online forum/geek crowd.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: December 05, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »
I did not perceive any dickishness, I was just sayin. You're all good. And yes, it is a pretty famous part, but it's not on the level of Vader being Luke's father or Bruce Willis being dead the whole time which I obviously feel is okay to bring up in random conversations without any warning.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »
Har!
I actually do think its on the "Vader" level and waaaaaay above the I See Dead People level, which was more of a flash in the pan.

Now, The Crying Game....in the words of Billy Crystal "That's not what I ordered!"

And don't get us started on Keyser Soze.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3671 on: December 05, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
I have never seen the Sixth Sense because that spoiler became so famous.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: December 05, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
I walked into a room where they were watching that movie and it was RIGHT when he discovered he was dead. Didn't need no spoilerrific innernets to ruin that one for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3673 on: December 06, 2012, 01:49:19 AM »