Author Topic: Wrestling discussion  (Read 110239 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Wrestling discussion
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Are there any wrestling fans here? Specifically, the current product. It would be nice to be able to talk about what is happening on Raw, SmackDown, NXT, Impact, etc. with others here on the board. If there is interest, we could even have live chats during the shows (like in a chat room).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
Obligatory mention of the old hidden Wrestling forum on PlanetGameCube.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
Are there any wrestling fans here? Specifically, the current product. It would be nice to be able to talk about what is happening on Raw, SmackDown, NXT, Impact, etc. with others here on the board. If there is interest, we could even have live chats during the shows (like in a chat room).

I watch TNA Wrestling and WWE Raw (don't watch Smackdown as much anymore)>
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
SmackDown is more wrestling based, Raw is more storyline based. Both have their own strengths though.

GP, did you watch the Raw draft this week? I am a fan of The Hart Dynasty, so I was happy to see them win the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship from ShoMiz.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »
SmackDown is more wrestling based, Raw is more storyline based. Both have their own strengths though.

GP, did you watch the Raw draft this week? I am a fan of The Hart Dynasty, so I was happy to see them win the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship from ShoMiz.

Haven't seen it yet. Have it recorded though

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:31:53 PM »
WWF Wrestlemania 2000 for the Nintendo 64 is the best wrestling videogame ever made.

That is all.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
ooh the current product...no. I used to be a big fan of wrestling, but it pretty much died for me around the time WWF bought WCW. I also lost some respect when they changed their name to WWE. I was wearing a Stone Cold shirt that had like nice nitted WWF logos on the side, and my friends were like..."how OLD is that shirt?". Most of my favorite Wrestlers are either A)found better work in movies B) retired C) not in a televised wrestling organization D) Dead
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
About the name change, they were basically forced too. They had been battling for years with the World Wide Fund for Nature (whose US operation is still known as the World Wildlife Fund) over the WWF initials. Eventually they lost the lawsuit and were banned from using the WWF initials (as well as the WWF scratch logo), so they change their name from World Wrestling Federation to World Wrestling Entertainment on May 5, 2002 (using a campaign called Get the "F" Out).

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
I still watch pretty regularly, though if I have to work and DVR it I tend to forget. *shrug* My favourite wrestlers are Jericho and CM Punk - just too bad they're on separate shows now.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
the fight was over the initials WWF, not the name of the company, the name of the company was World Wrestling Federation not WWF, losts of things have the same initials, but as long as the typeface appear different there is no conflict. There can be an Apple Computer Company And an Apple Records, and an Apple Books. The biggest deal was over the use of the website www.wwf.com, they could have simply moved to www.wwfwrestling.com and or www.titansports.com/wwf. You shouldn't be able to own initials in my opinion. 

read this article

http://books.google.com/books?id=kPIz4TNTpYEC&pg=PA1019&lpg=PA1019&dq=initials+and+trademarks&source=bl&ots=hHfwNpJ5ua&sig=jajvzrmCCL1NwcMtmfO_1ZkdwQA&hl=en&ei=3inaS6jRL4uSsgPan6hr&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=initials%20and%20trademarks&f=false

it has some insights in the different trademark laws of different countries

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
My dad was actually a wrestler in high school.  He had the schools record for fastest pin.  That would be good, except for the fact that he was the one being pinned.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »
Hey-Oh!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
the fight was over the initials WWF, not the name of the company, the name of the company was World Wrestling Federation not WWF, losts of things have the same initials, but as long as the typeface appear different there is no conflict. There can be an Apple Computer Company And an Apple Records, and an Apple Books. The biggest deal was over the use of the website www.wwf.com, they could have simply moved to www.wwfwrestling.com and or www.titansports.com/wwf. You shouldn't be able to own initials in my opinion. 

read this article

http://books.google.com/books?id=kPIz4TNTpYEC&pg=PA1019&lpg=PA1019&dq=initials+and+trademarks&source=bl&ots=hHfwNpJ5ua&sig=jajvzrmCCL1NwcMtmfO_1ZkdwQA&hl=en&ei=3inaS6jRL4uSsgPan6hr&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=initials%20and%20trademarks&f=false

it has some insights in the different trademark laws of different countries

Was this aimed at me? Because I made it clear in my post that I knew the fight was over the initials. They had been fighting over the initials since the 1980s. The two sides had reached a deal in 1994, but the nature fund brought up the lawsuit after the wrestling company launched their website (which the courts later ruled had violated the agreement). Once they lost the right to legally use the "WWF" initials (which is also why they always blur out the "F" and mute the "F" in old video footage), it didn't make sense to keep the promotions name as World Wrestling Federation. Imagine if the National Football League was suddenly barred from using the "NFL" initials, would they keep their name or change it?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:00:27 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »
The initial debate only had effect overseas(where the world wildlife fund for nature is located), they were being sued by the panda company in Britain, not the U.S.  The issue was over the website, WWF resued the WWE  in 2000, in 2001 WWE was appealing, but then decided to change their name ending 20 years of branding. WWE could have continued to be WWF in the U.S. had they just changed the URL of their website. I hate patent and trademark cases especially international ones where 2 companies own trademarks in different countries.

We all know the names of the companies are not officially WWF, and that they were World Wildlife Fund for Nature and World Wrestling Federation, their trademarked logos looked nothing alike, so it should follow that the company should be able to abbreviate their name whether spoken in context or by logo without litigation. Its just pisses me off that instead of following through with their appeal they bitched out last minute and change their name to the stupid name that is WWE. The company is supposed to represent toughness, and that's just not what it was articulating. Screw the UK courts and their Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Lylat Wars, and WWF.

and I miss WCW :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXnT8QkZbB8

the problem with kayfabe is when something really bad does happen. I remember when Owen Hart died I was watching the pay-per-view with a scrambled signal (audio was fine, video was distorted), and they were like Owen Hart has just died and that was crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVqa_G__gQ0
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:30:56 AM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
I used to be part of the old hidden wrestling forum. I still watch WWE RAW and TNA Impact, though I have no idea why. I basically just fast-forwards through both of them and spent maybe 30 minutes combined on both shows. I'm too lazy to watch SmackDown, and NXT is lame. I watch PPVs on veetle, though I did actually go to WrestleMania 24 (saw HBK retire Shawn Michaels, and I saw the pyro shoot into the crowd after the Undertaker won the World Championship).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
I used to be a huge Ultimate Warrior fan.  Once he stepped down, I just couldn't get back into it.  Is there much cross over these days with fans of WWE and UFC, or is it kind of one of the other for most fans?  How do wresting fans feel about Brock Lesnar's accomplishments in the UFC?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
thats the other thing about wrestling, i used to have the suspension of disbelief and it made it fun, but WWE took steps to eliminate gimmicks and push wrestlers that were more realistic...but that made it less entertaining.

I dont watch UFC unless i happen to be at someone elses house, but lately since Cain Velasquez of my High School is one of the main stars i'v been pretty interested in the results. I'm hoping he wins the heavy weight bout soon. I have my suspicions about whether ufc is real or kayfabe though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:43:06 PM by ThePerm »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
I used to be a huge Ultimate Warrior fan.  Once he stepped down, I just couldn't get back into it.  Is there much cross over these days with fans of WWE and UFC, or is it kind of one of the other for most fans?  How do wresting fans feel about Brock Lesnar's accomplishments in the UFC?

There is a good amount of crossover support, although WWE tries to downplay it. I am not sure about the general consensus on Lesnar, but I personally don't care for him anymore. He got a UFC contract ONLY because of his fame in WWE (he had a 1-0 record when they signed him) and also got his title shot ONLY because of his wrestling fame (he was 2-1). I don't like how in MMA and boxing someone can defend their title as little as 2 times a year (Lesnar's first defense of the UFC Heavyweight Championship was 9 months after he won it) and that they often they get to keep their titles even when injured or sick (Lesnar is still champion even though he hasn't fought since July 2009 and Randy Couture QUIT the UFC and wasn't stripped of the title, so he went 15 months in-between fights).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 08:56:35 PM »
maybe Lesnar is ruining the sport. Velasquez is always announced to fight the champion only to be snubbed with a card change weeks later. I'd hate to see locker room politics make their way into UFC.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
Yes, I'm a fan. I watch TNA iMPACT! weekly.

Am I a happy fan? Nope.

I too miss WCW.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
Would it be fair to take Lesnar's title away when he was out with a huge illness that could have potentially killed him? Would it have been fair to take Frank Mir's title away when he was injured in a motorcycle accident? That's the thing that I *do* like about UFC - they understand that **** happens. Also, you can't fight and defend your title every month - that would shorten your career by years, and it would take away from other firghters. There's hardly anyone in UFC that fights more than twice a year. Also, I don't think Lesnar's WWE fame had *that* much to do with him getting a title shot, or a contract in the first place. Sure, it didn't hurt - but the man is an absolute freak of nature and is a former NCAA wrestling champion. No one has even taken him down to the mat yet (not counting Mir's knee bar, which was due to a poor decision by the ref).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:55:13 AM »
Which is double why I wanna see him fight Velasquez, their both pretty talented mat wrestlers. I had forgotten about Lesnar's illness,  but i think there should be at the most a 9 month(a gestation!) before title lapse, and then tournament!!! LOL maybe thats too Wrastling.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 04:17:07 AM »
Which is double why I wanna see him fight Velasquez, their both pretty talented mat wrestlers. I had forgotten about Lesnar's illness,  but i think there should be at the most a 9 month(a gestation!) before title lapse, and then tournament!!! LOL maybe thats too Wrastling.

Perhaps but most thought his career was over, to beat those odds and return is something pretty amazing.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
Bradogg, I am not saying that they have to defend the title every month. I DO think there should be a limit to how long you can go without defending the title. Four months is more than fair. If a person goes four months without defending it, strip them of the title. I don't care if it's because of illness or injury, they shouldn't be champion if they can't defend it. Why did Lesnar wait 9 months after winning the title before defending the belt? He wasn't sick or injured.

If Lesnar hadn't been famous for being one of the top stars in wrestling, he wouldn't have gotten all his shots so quickly. He got a UFC contract after only one fight. He got a title shot despite having only 2 fights in UFC (one of which was a loss to Frank Mir.)

Don't even get me started on this fake "interim champion" crap. That is basically saying "here is this pretend champion while the REAL champion sits out without defending his title". They wouldn't have to have fake titles if they stripped champions who weren't willing/able to defend their titles.

If my posts sounds negative, it's not meant at MMA in general. I like MMA, it's just certain things about it I have problems with.