Author Topic: Nintendo Hopes to Have Metroid News to Share in the ‘Near Future’  (Read 4975 times)

The company is having internal discussions about what to do with the series and wants to serve fans of both traditional and Prime styles of play.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37837/nintendo-hopes-to-have-metroid-news-to-share-in-the-near-future

Nintendo is talking about what to do next with the Metroid series and hopes to have news to share on that front soon, according to a Kotaku E3 interview with Nintendo Software Planning & Development  head Shinya Takashi.

When asked about the current status of the series, Takashi said, “So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next.” He noted that they “have two different types of Metroid games,” with these being the “traditional style” and “the Prime style.”

“We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play,” he said.  “And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.”

A bit later in the interview, Takashi and the also-present Shigeru Miyamoto were asked to choose which style of Metroid was their favorite. Takashi likes them both, but Miyamoto responded, “I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there’s still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.”

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
Hopefully this time they just focus on ONE style of play per game.

Also hopefully this time it isn't a brutally linear hand-holding experience.

Also hopefully this time it has Sakamoto nowhere near it.

Hopefully, they let Retro tackle metroid again. I love a lot of the new 2-D platformers, but Nintendo is in danger becoming a one-trick pony. It seems like a waste to have had Retro on Tropical Freeze (I'm not saying it's a bad game, just that other second-party developers could have done just as well), when they could be doing more innovative work like Prime.

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
I really don't want Retro tied down to Prime. I REALLY want them to make their own game because I believe that they can do it.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
2D if it is a 3DS game (treat it like A Link Between Worlds). 3D if it is a Wii U.

And I wish everyone would stop harping on Sakamoto. It is getting old and I'm sure he understands that what he did was a colossal failure. Stop beating a dead horse.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
If they do make a Metroid game anytime soon I will be very surprised if it's not on Wii U, regardless of what direction they go with it. The series has never done especially well in Japan, and the west is a lot more console-focused. And Metroid may be niche, but it's got enough of a reputation among gamers that it would sell some people Wii Us, at least as part of the reasoning.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
*takes out crystal ball*
Metroid will be a top down 2D game with 360o aiming. It will be developed by a small but known 3rd party developer that has close ties with Nintendo.

There will also be a 3D game. It will be developed by Retro. It will switch from FPS to TPS and be in large beautiful lush environments.

Sakamoto will have input and influence on the 2D version. Miyamoto will oversee the 3D version.
This is not the only game Retro is deeply involved in.

*puts crystal ball away*

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
We have new Metroid news to bring directly... to you.

Metroid is now Devil World.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
That's encouraging.  I was suckered in by Reggie's statements about wearing his Metroid Pin. 

Whatever they do, I'd like them to propel the character and the series forward for a change.  I don't want them to keep looking backwards and inserting new games that took place before Super Metroid.   I don't even mind them giving Samus more personality like they tried to do in Other M; it was just that the execution behind that game that was flawed.

I also wouldn't mind Nintendo either doing a 2D Zero-style remake of Metroid 2: Return of Samus or even farming out a that out to a studio like Wayforward.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Yeah, I'm also ready for them to move the plot forward from Fusion.  I just gotta know what happens next!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Hopes to Have Metroid News to Share in the ‘Near Future’
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
Whatever they do, I'd like them to propel the character and the series forward for a change.  I don't want them to keep looking backwards and inserting new games that took place before Super Metroid.

They do the same thing with Zelda.  The most recent Zelda game in the timeline is Zelda II.  What is Nintendo's bizarre infactuation with prequels?

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »
Actually the most recent Zelda title is 4SA and Spirit Tracks (along with Zelda 2)

split timelines yo

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »
I want Samus and Boba Fett to get married and have bounty hunter babies!! Every time he comes home she goes, a little short for a storm trooper? And then they both laugh and kiss each other hello omg it would be soo adorable
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.