Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663683 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2015, 12:04:59 AM »
I wonder how will they will be able to merge Linux's "free software" paradigm and DIY somewhat chaotic open-ness with Nintendo's wish to keep the system as closed as they can.

Well Android and ChromeOS are both Linux based and OSX was based on BSD, so I suppose it's possible.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Unprecedented partnership with Square Enix?)
« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2015, 12:07:51 AM »
Tech niche companies stick together!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2015, 01:17:17 AM »
Linux = REDHAT = MARIO

So clear the whole time!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 23, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »
Linux has lots of software that is not free.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »
Also, my comment about the scroll wheels is not getting the respect it deserves (thank you, Nile Boogie Returns).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2015, 09:06:33 PM »
Free OS is Free OS.  I mean being an ix can get you a lot of Software.  It also makes you more vulnerable because by default there is more information out about how your system works.  *shrug* Its like a phone using Android.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2015, 09:57:24 PM »
It doesn't really make you any more vulnerable, unless you intentionally disable security features like stack randomization. Right now PS4 and Xbone are the only consoles out that haven't fallen to a stack overflow vulnerability at this point (Wii U has been "hacked" recently...but no one seems to really care). Also, this Linux thing is just a rumor for now...but if Nintendo did go with some form of Linux, unless they didn't want any support, it wouldn't be free to them.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
Freer than writing from scratch.  Security through obscurity isn't security but it still some.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 25, 2015, 12:17:27 AM »
Also, my comment about the scroll wheels is not getting the respect it deserves (thank you, Nile Boogie Returns).

You're not getting respect about scroll wheels? I posted proof that I invented the things TEN YEARS ago, and nobody has batted an eye!

Offline OakesJu

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:54 AM »

First, it shows the Samsung Galaxy s6 cover is simply impossible. WII your game on it? On the console you lost? Not exactly. The Samsung Galaxy s6 edge cover of the screen can not be.
People will buy Nintendo Nintendo really want to buy buy Nintendo reasons.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:14:51 AM by OakesJu »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2015, 06:37:13 AM »
im confused.....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2015, 07:43:36 AM »
Makes sense to me - he's clarifying for people who think the function is possible. Of course you can't WII your game on the console you lost, because the rotation of the screen, no matter what you try, can not be - at least not on the consle you lost. I used to also be under the assumption that people will buy Nintendo Nintendo even if they really want to buy buy National Geographic reasons, but in reality it's because they really want to buy buy Nintendo reasons.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »
Of course! I buy Nintendo brand Nintendo amiibo for Nintendo Nintendos.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (CONFIRMED:You can't WII your game on it.)
« Reply #338 on: September 26, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
http://nerdist.com/somebody-recreated-the-legend-of-zeldas-kakariko-village-in-unreal-engine-4/

again hopefully Nintendo becomes as productive as random internet people.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 26, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »

You're not getting respect about scroll wheels? I posted proof that I invented the things TEN YEARS ago, and nobody has batted an eye!

Zelda TP having Forward Compatibility, Wii remote being an upside down optical mouse, Shenmue III days before E32015. All the things I predicted on this board. Prophet Confirmed!

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

AND SO IT BEGINS...

(WALL STREET JOURNAL)

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. has begun distributing a software development kit for its new NX videogame platform, people familiar with the matter said, suggesting the company is on track to introduce the product as early as next year.The kit is used by third-party software developers to modify existing games for the platform or create new ones. Videogame console makers such as Nintendo like to have popular game titles ready when they start selling new devices.Nintendo’s current flagship products are the Wii U, a console typically used in the living room, and the portable 3DS device. Both have been out for several years, leading analysts to predict that the Kyoto-based entertainment powerhouse will move fairly swiftly to bring out the NX.“We are increasingly of the idea that Nintendo might launch the NX in 2016 because of the softness of 3DS and Wii U,” said David Gibson, an analyst at Macquarie Capital Securities.A Nintendo spokeswoman said the company plans to disclose details of NX next year.Square Enix Co. said in July that it planned to make the latest version of its blockbuster role-playing game Dragon Quest for the NX. That version, called Dragon Quest XI, is also planned for the 3DS and Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4.The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.Nintendo’s former president, Satoru Iwata, said in March that NX “is a platform dedicated for videogames.” Mr. Iwata died in July, and his post was assumed in September by Tatsumi Kimishima, a former banker who served as one of Mr. Iwata’s top lieutenants at Nintendo.Mr. Kimishima is expected to carry forward the strategy of Mr. Iwata, a legendary figure for many videogame fans. In the months before his death, Mr. Iwata laid out plans to put Nintendo characters in games for mobile devices under a partnership with DeNA Co. and made a deal with amusement park operator Universal Parks & Resorts, which is part of Comcast Corp.“Nintendo is no longer just a traditional videogame company,” said industry veteran Hirokazu Hamamura, a director at Kadokawa Dwango Corp., which publishes magazines about videogames.

Rejoice!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
The end of the Wii U is upon us.

If this article is to be believed, we might see the NX rear it's head in 2016. I won't be buying it- in fact, I find it hard to believe most of this information, as it is very un characteristic of Nintendo. As it is, they have utterly failed with the Wii U and if they even dare to end it's life without a Zelda game of its own I'll be quite annoyed. Anyway, I'm interested by these comments, especially that it's believed the NX will release with some sort of portable element. I hope, for Nintendo's sake, that they can gracefully move away from Wii U and 3DS, which don't seem to be maintaining any sort of substantial presence.

Even so, I'm not going to be an early adopter for NX. Nintendo needs to prove they have a good plan moving forward, not just one that relies on Amiibo, mobile, and rehashed IPs.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
As it is, they have utterly failed with the Wii U
Oh puh-leez with this. You don't wanna buy an NX? Fine. But the rhetoric, ugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »
If Dev kits are going out today(or close to today) to people, can that really mean the console is launching in 2016? Can you make a game for the NX in a year?

I see headlines calling it a hybrid but to me it looks like what I predicted, a dedicated handheld and a console running on the same OS.

The end of the Wii U is upon us.

...As it is, they have utterly failed with the Wii U...

Blah blah blah. Two things.

1- I'm pretty sure the Wii U's end was somewhere around Jan-Feb 2014, when it was pretty clear sales forecasts were never going to be matched and almost all third parties had abandoned plans for the console.
2- The Wii U was only a failure in a commercial sense. It was a success in terms of games released. Ever single year the Wii U had a competitive GOTY candidate. The top 15 Wii U games match well with the top 15 games released on any other console past or present.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Make a new game no...but if it is similar enough to the other consoles or PC gaming perhaps you can modify an existing game, or game in development to play on it.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
If Dev kits are going out today(or close to today) to people, can that really mean the console is launching in 2016? Can you make a game for the NX in a year?

I would think that you could if you moved development from Wii U to NX. Don't know why but I don't think Nintendo is moving to X86 chipset and this still a IBM chip. In that, context you could launch in 2016 summer with a decent lineup, no one expects a summer launch but in 2016 you can launch electronics basically at anytime.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
I would think that you could if you moved development from Wii U to NX. Don't know why but I don't think Nintendo is moving to X86 chipset and this still a IBM chip. In that, context you could launch in 2016 summer with a decent lineup, no one expects a summer launch but in 2016 you can launch electronics basically at anytime.

I'm assuming 1st party devs have had kits for a while now. I'm talking more about indie devs and 3rd parties.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I find it hard to believe most of this information, as it is very un characteristic of Nintendo.

If the NX is to not share the same fate as the Wii U then it needs to be uncharacteristic of Nintendo.

I like what the article is stating.  It has important stuff like comparable hardware with the competition.  If they failed on that again the NX would be DOA.

While I never had any faith in the Wii U, I felt it was doomed once Sony revealed that they weren't going to be anti-consumer with the PS4 and then MS backpedaled and followed suit with the Xbox One.  There was this hope at the time that Sony and MS were going to have anti-consumer features that would force always-online authentication and lock out used games and stuff like that and that the Wii U would benefit from being consumer-friendly.  Once that was not the case, the Wii U was finished.  All Nintendo had was an outdated console with a weird controller, no third party support, and a price that was not THAT much cheaper than the other guys.  The one hope it had was that the market would reject the new generation Sony and MS were offering and that didn't happen.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Oh sure, the only comment anyone cares about in my post is how the Wii U is a complete failure- which it is. The "Games of the Year" on other consoles are in genres that the Wii U simply doesn't have. I'd be interested to hear what games you DO think are GOTY quality from the Wii U's lifespan, too- what did Wii U have in 2013? Pikmin 3? The Wonderful 101? 2014, maybe I can give you, with Bayonetta 2.

The Wii U is more than just a commercial failure. Third Party relations are no better, the library is worse (in terms of variety and value, just because you have a bunch of acceptable Nintendo titles doesn't make up for the lack of titles), and the system is overpriced and a misguided attempt to ride on the coattails of its successor without even Nintendo having a decent idea of a killer app. It will hopefully be remembered as a awkward HD growing pain.

Most importantly, it's going to be abandoned. Quickly. Which means Nintendo is screwing over the fanbase they had who actually bought into the whole thing, and would be likely to adopt a new system. What success does the Wii U have? It raised the amount of indie ports while simultaneously allowing the lowest quality games to appear there? The introduction of Amiibo? Is that really a victory? You're right, the end of the Wii U was two years ago, and that's because- not just my opinion- it didn't work. What is my opinion is that it never got a proper chance to get interesting ideas come from the hardware because it never stood one.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
I don't get the disbelief at this news. Is it the Nintendo using latest chipset or is it the hybrid console / Handheld  concept? Although not graphics wise but Nintendo has always been at the forefront of game technology.