Author Topic: Another Code R: A Journey of Lost Memories Dated for Europe  (Read 4969 times)

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Another Code R: A Journey of Lost Memories Dated for Europe
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
I went and bought this game on a whim... (I've never played any other games of this sort, but the idea of a mystery game seemed appealing)

It's a very funny game, soooooo relaxed, I feel like a complete slacker playing it, and so far at least there's little in the way of actual effort required, mostly it's just reading a story.

The graphics are also a bit weird, it does look very nice, but that's mostly because it's all from a fixed perspective, so a lot of it is probably just hand-drawn backdrop.  There's pretty much zero player movement, it's all verrrrry static, either running back and forth in a fixed path between locations, or clicking on items in each location to trigger events or conversations etc.  The static presentation might be a lot more at home on the DS, so it feels like they just took exactly the same interface as their earlier DS games and upgraded only the graphic resolution etc.

While it gets the job done, the very restricted movement is a shame.  Judging from the way things look when moving, they actually did do at least partial 3D modeling of many of the objects (it's like in the most recent DS castlevania games -- many of the "background" objects will shift perspective as you run past).  Maybe they could have allowed a bit more freedom without blowing out the budget?

So far even the story is very mild, with vague insinuations of foul play and a bit of angsty father-daughter bickering ("your work matters more to  you than I do!"); maybe it'll pick up a bit later.

Not the game to get if you want an adrenaline rush, but it's appealing in a funny way, kinda nostalgic like watching old scooby-doo episodes...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 12:13:07 AM »
Sounds exactly like what I want.
Gimme gimme gimme!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:09 AM »
Can anyone think of any other game which was announced for Europe, and the North American announcement came sometime later?
Metroid Prime 2 was first leaked in Australia.

But yeah this is totally Doshin the Giant/Disaster all over again.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 05:17:44 AM »
Uh oh...

Core Nintendo title, dated for Europe, no American release confirmed... I'm sensing a pattern here.

I blame Reggie.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 05:31:06 AM »
BTW, note that the Japanese version has no voice acting at all, it's purely text, so it may be that the voice-over in the English trailer was just done for that, not for the actual game.