Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 664110 times)

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:50:55 PM by MysticGohan »
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Calm before the storm? Edition)
« Reply #2051 on: September 15, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
Bet that's when they reveal the Damn thing ;)

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 15, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »
Bet that's when they reveal the Damn thing ;)

Think it'll be the 20th or 22nd of this month BnK
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 16, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
Yeah because Nintendo hasn't delayed anything recently.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 16, 2016, 03:55:59 PM »
Yeah because Nintendo hasn't delayed anything recently ever.

Fixed that for you.

If a Nintendo fan at this point is not used to their rampant delays they have short term memory loss or were too young to remember the rampant "delays for quality control" that used to happen for almost every major holiday title.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: September 16, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »
You'd think at some point they'd know how long it'd take to make a game.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: September 16, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »
So Nintendo of Europe may have spilled the beans on the release date of the Breath of the Wild amiibo.

March 4, 2017. That's a Saturday.

Of course that could also be the day Breath of the Wild releases. As well as the NX. For reference the Wii U released on a Sunday in NA and a Friday in Europe.

EDIT: The Wolf Amiibo released on March 4, 2016 so this could all very well be placeholder dates. YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:25:18 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »
It's more that Nintendo doesn't anticipate tossing out large portions of its games (particularly Zelda) and starting over. There's no way to anticipate that, and no way of telling how long that sets development back. That said, I suppose one has to wonder why Nintendo doesn't work a potential delay into production and stop announcing big titles until a game is in the home stretch of development.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: September 16, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »

... why Nintendo doesn't work a potential delay into production and stop announcing big titles until a game is in the home stretch of development.

Isn't that exactly what they did, until everyone started complaining, because Nintendo had "no games"?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:41:32 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: September 18, 2016, 02:43:25 AM »
IGN NVC Podcast talks NX Rumors:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/265262-ign-discusses-nx-rumors-things-they-ve-heard-from-developers

Peer has heard these detachable controllers communicate via IR

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: September 18, 2016, 03:55:48 PM »

http://gonintendo.com/stories/265262-ign-discusses-nx-rumors-things-they-ve-heard-from-developers

The following info comes from IGN's Peer Schneider...
- detachable controllers are low budget...cheap like the Wii Nunchuk
- Peer has heard these detachable controllers communicate via IR
- these detachable controllers are for travel play and aren't your main method of gameplay input
- Just Dance 2017 on NX means there's a way to measure what you're doing while dancing

what i don't like and what seems like another half-measure is that the controllers will communicate with IR when connected. I think they they should connect through RF, so that they can be detached and used in many different ways, even ways that they didn't intend in their currently being developed games.

They should be able to be detached and used as motion controllers for JD 2017, or attached to the screen in at least 2 different configurations (gamepad and 3DS modes)

It would be nice if both halves functioned like a wiimote, so that we can rid ourselves of all the old wiimotes and all the hardware from previous systems.
But my thinking is very attached to the idea of the mock-up posted previously. That could all change based on what Nintendo actually has cooked up (or I could just be disappointed because the mock-up seemed better in theory)

I like the idea of this new system being a "reboot". Hopefully that means more than just starting back at cartridges, and more meaning starting everything from scratch, disconnected from the Wii & Wii U hardware all together (chip family upgrades, etc etc), and beginning anew on this unified software approach.

I'mnot a big fan of "cheapness" when it comes to the controllers, especially if it means they are all basically shells w/ minor motion like the nunchuck. They atleast need full gyro capabilities for that full independent motion control, which can still work as an accurate pointer with no expensive cameras needed.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: September 18, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »

Best news I've heard all day. Make the detachable controllers very, very inexpensive and very traditional. Get them out of the way when playing at home. No more forking out hundreds of dollars on gimmicky controls, please.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2063 on: September 18, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
I like the idea of single tablet screen with IR sensors on two sides in which a controller could Slide into place and lock together.  Then Nintendo could literally design the controller for perfect control for whatever game they wanted to make.  Smash Bros can play like Smash Brothers Proper, but Street Fighter could play like Street Fighter. 

Design the controllers so they can also be connected together for traditional controllers and you got a pretty nifty system.  If they could sell full featured controllers for the traditional $49.99 for a new controllers, but allow developers or Nintendo to release "cheap attachments" for $19.99 or even bundle them with special games.  Street Fighter gets perfect arcade controller with a nice D-Pad and six button layout could be very nice. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: September 18, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »

Best news I've heard all day. Make the detachable controllers very, very inexpensive and very traditional. Get them out of the way when playing at home. No more forking out hundreds of dollars on gimmicky controls, please.

I think this:
- these detachable controllers are for travel play and aren't your main method of gameplay input

kinda suggest that you will be using another controller(s) for home play. which may leave room for tons of gimmicky controls that may cost hundreds.

I think if the controls attached to NX was more capable, then we wouldn't need a separate controller for home play. Not that you couldn't use one... but you wouldn't need one.

I like the idea of single tablet screen with IR sensors on two sides in which a controller could Slide into place and lock together.  Then Nintendo could literally design the controller for perfect control for whatever game they wanted to make.  Smash Bros can play like Smash Brothers Proper, but Street Fighter could play like Street Fighter. 

Design the controllers so they can also be connected together for traditional controllers and you got a pretty nifty system.  If they could sell full featured controllers for the traditional $49.99 for a new controllers, but allow developers or Nintendo to release "cheap attachments" for $19.99 or even bundle them with special games.  Street Fighter gets perfect arcade controller with a nice D-Pad and six button layout could be very nice. 

although that doesn't sound like a terrible idea either.
...until someone finds a way to abuse it.

should still use redio frequency (RF) over infra red (IR), since the former doesn't require line of sight.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: September 18, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »
A perfect arcade controller would have a stick, not a D-Pad. Not even Super Smash Bros. tournament players would really benefit from a GameCube layout because they're not playing the game on a handheld let alone without a GameCube controller so long as Nintendo keeps making that an option, and there's no reason to believe it won't.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2066 on: September 18, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »
Adrock I thought of that...but a perfect Stick controller would also need enough space and weight to rest on your table or lap.

But a good sized D-pad with proper slide for fireballs and special moves would work well in a home console controller. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2067 on: September 18, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
Since IR requires line of sight it may be beneficial for not adding more wireless interference.  It also means that signals won't get mixed....which could possibly mean more controllers playing together.  8 person Bomber Man for instance.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: September 18, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
The point I was trying to make is that it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to make a perfect arcade controller for what is intended to be a handheld device. Players would have to "settle" for a D-pad which is contradictory to having exchangable controllers built for a specific game. Same goes with Super Smash Bros. Ultimately, a GameCube layout still isn't a GameCube controller. Therefore, what is the point of all these attachments if they don't serve the purpose they're intended to serve.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument in favor different attachments. They all sound great on paper until you really start thinking about why it wouldn't work in practice. Would they really, really be better than a basic traditional layout?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2069 on: September 18, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
error
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:41:18 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: September 18, 2016, 08:59:40 PM »
If the theoretical NX package came with a WiiU Pro controller, I think it would be a game changer for it being accepted as a home console in NA.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 18, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
Maybe if it was rebranded. Outside of Virtual Console, get the Wii name as far away from NX as possible.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 18, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
If the theoretical NX package came with a WiiU Pro controller, I think it would be a game changer for it being accepted as a home console in NA.

A Game changer? by including a regular controller, like the other 2 consoles? Or do you just mean because this "portable hybrid" would be accepted as not just a portable that's played at home, since it has a standard controller in the box as well?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2073 on: September 18, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
Well if you want people to seriously view it as a PORTABLE and Console.  Having it dock and charge on the base/ Console Component would mean needing some traditional controls for it to play.  Providing at least one full controller in the box would mean gamers could see the device quickly and easily as both a console and portable.  But this is where the breakable controller is genius.  You only have to include one controller...IF you connect it to the portable device to be portable, and then connect it to then detach it from the portable when it is docked and reconnect it to itself for console play. 

You lose touch screen support at home with this set up, but the Wii U already showed that gimmick isn't very useful.  But you could still reverse stream the portable to the base (think Wii U technology in reverse if you needed too...however you would lose some graphical power to those games.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 18, 2016, 10:19:42 PM »

A Game changer? by including a regular controller, like the other 2 consoles? Or do you just mean because this "portable hybrid" would be accepted as not just a portable that's played at home, since it has a standard controller in the box as well?

Yes, that is what I mean. Better said than I did.