Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 670036 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Calm before the storm? Edition)
« Reply #2000 on: September 11, 2016, 09:13:17 PM »
I would drop "controller mode" and just use it in free standing "pointer mode" instead.
and I would also skip "GB Mode", and just use it in "3DS Mode" w/ both handles on either side of the vertical orientation of the screen.

If I had the motivation to install an editing app, and then edit the pic myself, I would, but I don't, so I haven't.
I just assume my description is adequate. really wish the original creator didn't forget the 3DS Mode though. pretty large oversight.

and I think cocktail mode is interesting. I'd be interested in seeing the kinds small arcade like games they come up with to play in that mode.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:36:32 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2001 on: September 11, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
Cocktail mode looks like something from Wii Party U.  Not sure how much that'll get used.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: September 11, 2016, 09:57:44 PM »
I know they had a few things like that in Wii Party U, but assuming this device is actually popular, and someone other than Nintendo makes games for it, i figure there will be all sorts of table-top games released and mini-2 player things. The mock up looks like a perfect middle ground for Hard-core and casual gamers of the home and portable types

I'm sure the novelty of it would wear off quickly though.

so is there any speculation as to when this supposed to be revealed?
I think last official mention was before end of the year... but was that fiscal or calendar?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2003 on: September 11, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
so is there any speculation as to when this supposed to be revealed?

Tonnes.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: September 11, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kahYiMaXFc two of the three SoC's have been revealed, one of course being Scorpio, the other being PS4 Pro, the third has yet to be announce until more clarity. Which is likely the NX.

And No the X-box slim or whatever it's name is, is not a new SoC, it's still based on the Bones architecture and is slightly beefed up. So it doesn't count, plus AMD has more SoC's.

But I'm expecting to hear something very soon this month.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: September 12, 2016, 05:50:29 AM »
Hmmm... So you're proposing that Nintendo may focus their efforts on hand-held development with upscaling coming automatically on the console? I can see that.

I was thinking the opposite. Nintendo would focus on developing for their home console and downgrading their graphics for the hand-held. But if hand-held development includes making games like BotW, then I see no problem with your idea.
If NX is two to three times more powerful than Wii U, handheld and console development for the company is indistinguishable. Very few of its first party output is natively 1080p anyway such as a Super Smash Bros. Nintendo can still develop games with 1080p assets and they'll naturally look better on a larger display. If NX has a 720p display, that likely remains the target resolution for most of its games. Nintendo will likely use the extra processing power on things like better frame rates and reducing pop in.
So the x1 gets incredibly hot? Hmmm....that's going to make the hand-held quite expensive. I was thinking for both the console and hand-held it'd cost $500.
Heat isn't what makes a system on a chip expensive. Maxwell/X1 isn't a great mobile chip when pushed for performance. That's why it would benefit Nintendo the go with Parker. It can the get same or slightly better performance with much greater power efficiency.

As for cost, the first Tegra-NX rumor stated that Nvidia gave up the farm to get Nintendo's business. The thinking was Nvidia wanted Tegra in a product that could show what its SOC can do. The loss it would take to get Nintendo's business (e.g. a semi-custom design, all the support, the kitchen sink etc) paled in comparison to what it stood to gain by selling its designs to other, much larger companies (e.g. car manufacturers). Apparently, Nvidia's margins from consoles were never great. It had burned bridges with both Microsoft and Sony so Nintendo was the only one left to pitch to (and really, it made the most sense as Nintendo is the only company in need of a mobile SOC). There was another rumor years back that Nvidia almost had a deal to get Tegra in 3DS, but it couldn't provide the yields Nintendo wanted so Nintendo went with DMP. This time, Nvidia has more to gain with Nintendo being more a means to an end.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: September 12, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
NWPlayer123 on Twitter. https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/775412480956784640

Breath of the Wild's â„¢ mentions both cartridges and discs and is confirmed for a dual release so yeah NX uses carts
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: September 12, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »
Great work on that mockup.  Almost looks like something you would see in official press materials.  Like others have said though that controller mode just isn't going to work from an ergonomics perspective.  I really don't like the NES mode though that's a knock on the rumour, not the mock up.  There is a reason modern games use these dual analog controllers because that level of complexity is required to control a fully 3D game.  I hated when Wii games would shoe-horn in this stupid NES style design and force a button map to a shake because the controller has less buttons than a damn Genesis controller from 25 years ago.  And we had all this constant usage of d-pads in 3D games when NINTENDO is the company that determined that analog sticks were the best way to control a game in 3D space.  We were going BACKWARDS from a standard that THEY SET!

This all just looks like doubling down on the Wii U's core concepts.  The Wii was a fad, the Wii U was a failure - any NX resembling these rumours will be a failure as well.  And it will have **** specs and that means it will have **** support and that right there will sink the console instantly.  Nintendo is all concerned about spreading themselves too thin and their solution is to have one platform to support.  That still will not be enough games.  Doubling the Wii U's output would not have made a difference.  20 games a year instead of 10 is still peanuts compared to what a product with proper third party support gets.  Nintendo seems to recognize the issue of not having enough games but for whatever reason refuses to even consider the very typical way of solving this by encouraging other companies to make games for your system.  This concept that solved the problem for the NES and SNES and Nintendo's handhelds and for any of their competitors that had any level of success is for some reason not something to even try for.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: September 12, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Team#AMD ftw! Just getting ready for the party :)

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: September 13, 2016, 12:38:50 AM »
But Ian, the single platform Nintendo wants to develop for is a software platform that works across any Nintendo hardware.
If 3rd parties want to support the Nintendo handled, well guess what... They are just supporting ALL of Nintendo's hardware, as the game supports the software platform, which works on all their hardware.

At least if my understanding of what NX really is supposed to be is correct.
Whether we get a handheld and/or console, it's all the same software.

And personally I think the Wii U at its core was a great idea. They just scaled it back into a half assed concept that was reversed on itself due to cost restrictions, or that famous Nintendo frugality, and the need to not step on the 3DS business.
What's been rumored is more the realization of what the Wii U could have and probably should have been.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:35:42 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: September 13, 2016, 02:12:47 AM »
I dont like the non traditional + control pad. I really hope they dont change it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2011 on: September 13, 2016, 02:22:34 AM »
If Nintendo could develop 2 hardware devices that use the same programming engines and OS.  However one is scaled for Handheld because it only needs 720P and the other is scaled for silky smooth 1080 60 FPS with the ability to software upscale to 4K in the future then you have a capable handheld/ Home Console system. 

The key is to get that perfect balance and demand 100% cross buy options for either system...and then a retail manufacturing price of 49.99 for games.  (Nintendo will generously cut of the sell to 10-15%) for all games, and Developers can also make some profit on DLC content of course.  Personally, if I was to do this, I would start with the Handheld version because that is the system that is doing the best...however I can understand trying to salvage the train wreck that is the Wii U.  So If Nintendo releases this system with new games, and just happens to also release all the games for the Wii U on the new system, or make the new system compatible it would go along way to building support for the new system as there are MANY great games players may have missed on the Wii U that they can play.

I still say whatever they do, they need to have a single controller system. None of this bring whatever controller you want to the system.  The only exception might be the Wii U Pro Controller....I think that controller could still be used throughout the Nintendo line. 

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: September 13, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
For those that just want the gist,

price, games, controller that works.

Ian, what you want will never happen. Nintendo is never going to be the SNES again. The Wii's biggest problems were lack of options, like you addressed with the controls; online features, i.e. friend codes, being SD only, and the stigma of the name, I would add Mii's but that is a personal preference the masses seemed to dig them so whatever.

Wii U's biggest strength was it fixed most of the Wii's problems its weakness was always price, marketing, lack of games, and over confidence. Nintendo needed to realize early one for Wii U to succeed they needed to get more games out quicker and they needed to bring the cost down quicker. The stupid thing hasn't dropped in price since the PS4 launched, that is terrible.

I see bigger things for NX but I do think the issue of 3rd parties needs to be put to rest. Nintendo has existed to some degree without major 3rd party support for 20 YEARS, they had major 3rd party support for TEN YEARS. At this point it is blatantly obvious we all, ALL buy the Nintendo console for the 1st party games. Now I agree that Nintendo forgets that not every gamer likes every game so they need more diversity but 3rd parties are never coming back. Nintendo could literally do everything right and 3rd parties will still shrug them off, the market has changed since the SNES, the 3rd party games that you clamor for, the Mega Man's the Castlevanias, etc, they don't even truly exist anymore.

I think Ian, it isn't the 3rd party games you are missing, you already can get those on your PC, if you don't have a PC what are you doing on a discussion board posting from your phone, play the 3rd party games on your phone, on a tablet play them there. A consumer doesn't have a right to demand anything from a company you buy what they make or you don't end of story. You like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, if I remember correctly F-Zero and RPG's, and a few fighting games. Are you getting THOSE games on PS4? I didn't.

I am happy with my PS4 because it had the few games I wanted it to have that Wii U didn't but I still use my PS3 more than either. Why? Because it had the games.

That asside, I think we all have to face the reality the world has changed, Nintendo did change with it but not in the way we wanted. Some people wanted Nintendo to keep doing what worked 25 years ago, others want them to just follow Sony and make a Playstation that runs Mario games, that won't happen.  What I am saying is it doesn't do anyone any good to get their expectations in the wrong place.

Nintendo doesn't need Call of Duty, the gamer who BUYS and PLAYS that game isn't into Mario, they are into Doom, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, and Halo plus any game that looks or plays like those games. The GTA gamer is not interested in Mario, they play GTA and games that resemble it.

Yes Nintendo should strive for reaching the widest audience, but they need to be realistic, there are different types of games, those that really want the visual experience, the cinematic experience, they HAVE to get a Sony or an Xbox or play them on the PC, because those games require a level of commitment that you need a large hard drive and online infrastructure and internet community to support, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK, etc, you just need the characters to look good, Wii U looked good, do you really need Mario to look like Tomb Raider or Zelda to look like Skyrim? Who would buy that?

We go in circles every generation, all of us do this, and it is because our tastes differ. Nintendo is not going to get the RPG games back, those gamers have settled on Sony, Nintendo can at best hope for GC level of RPG output which was pathetic or at worst N64 and Wii U level which is damn near zero.

What does that leave? More than you give them credit for! Nintendo lives and dies on retro, not just true retro but the retro image. The memory of things like Mega Man. Do they need a true proper Mega Man game? No they do not, they have those they are on Virtual Console, I would wager money that ANYONE who  plays Mega Man games will tell you those first 6 and Mega Man X are about the only ones really worth getting anyways so why bother porting a new one. If you want a new Mega Man game might I suggest you try AVGN Adventures, there are a pair of them.

What about platformers, Nintendo does those better than anyone. Hell if you look at their best consoles, NES and Wii, they were sold on gimmick sports games and weird controllers, when Nintendo does the "traditional" console that gamers and 3rd parties "want" them to do, they fail. Sure in the end raw numbers show SNES beat Genesis. But that is only if you look at it in the end at raw numbers. Sega kicked Nintendo's ass for three years, then it was a virtual tie before SEGA threw in the towel and conceded the market to Nintendo only to half-ass their way back in once they recognized it was a mistake. I am not saying Sega was better than Nintendo but 3rd party companies did, they wanted out from under Nintendo so they flocked to them first chance they got. Sega did things Nintendo was afraid to do, they took risks. When Nintendo takes risk, they roll the dice, it is rare they take risks anymore more often than not they play it safe, why because that works.

We can go back and forth all day long does their next console need Street fighter games or doesn't it, well if you like them or you don't it doesn't matter reality is they are not coming to the system so if you like fighting games and you like Mario games you have to face reality and buy both consoles. My question is who cares about support any more anyways? One think that being an aging gamer has taught me is that I do not need to own all three consoles TODAY in order to enjoy them in a few years from now. For me, You, Adrock, all of us here, if we really want to go back and play those fighting games, those RPG games, those Minecraft and GTA games, wait five years and pick up the Sony console cheap and load up on cheap games. Pick your current gen console, stick with it and then go back to the **** you missed, it's pretty much the way we have been doing business for THREE DECADES now. Face it, accept it, get over it.

No, Nintendo does not NEED all the third party games in the world, YOU want that so you can buy one machine, save money and not have to give money to Sony. Here is a solution, buy the games you want on Steam and play them on your PC, then in three years get a used or bargain bin PS4 when they are on clearance and then load up at the used game store.

NX needs two things, it needs to be priced right, and it needs to have games (Nintendo games) at a regular pace. I would argue it also needs traditional controls but it doesn't it needs controls that work, as long as they work for the games it gets. Do I want a PS4 that plays Nintendo games, sure but I don't want to pay for that, I chose PS4 for current gen and Wii U for Nintendo games, I as a consume realize that was necessary. I then picked up a cheap PS3 and never looked back. I also got a pair of Wii consoles, a pair complete working, for $5 bucks, WE are not the market Nintendo is chasing, they are going after kids and the rest of us will buy it anyways we always do. The kids that grew up on Playstation are not going to convert to Nintendo fans, the kids that grew up on Xbox need mental health evaluations when they should have just stuck to their real PC's and not put MS on the damn map, everyone else that games does it as a hobby occasionally.

Price, games, controls that work. When they do that they sell good when they don't they sell bad. Nintendo needs NX to sell well and if walking away from the dedicated console space, something MS and Sony are doing anyways, then that is what it takes that is what they need to do. Then the games that WILL sell to the Nintendo crowd will make their way on the console and the games that won' never were going to anyways. Remember outside NES when Nintendo FORCED developers to be exclusive, Nintendo never got all the games anyways even your beloved SNES, Genesis had DOZENS, literally dozens of superior games than SNES that SNES either didn't get or their only claim to fame was more colors.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:37:14 PM by supermario2k »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: September 13, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »
While Nintendo hasn't really had good third party support for 20 years, keep in mind that in that time three of the four consoles they released underperformed sales wise.  They got a good boost from the Wii and they've had their handhelds bail their asses out.  What if the Wii didn't catch on and Nintendo had had four consoles in a row sell worse than their predecessor where would they be?  If they didn't have their handhelds where would they be?  This isn't just a personal preference, it affects Nintendo's financial stability as a videogame company.  The Wii U isn't really that bad of a system in that the games it does have are generally quite good but its small userbase is pretty much the size of the userbase that will buy a Nintendo console for just Nintendo games.  The best bet is that a low price will expand that userbase.  That's the big gamble.

Now Nintendo still has the handhelds but how long does that last?  I see a brighter future for consoles than handhelds.  Handheld gaming has always had a fair bit of casual appeal where one is willing to put up with a scaled back experience to play on the go.  But playing on the go has switched to phones.  That leaves the handheld market to gaming enthusiasts for which a phone game is not good enough.  But a console is more up the alley for a dedicated gamer than a handheld because it's a less compromised experience.  I feel that gaming has become more segregated where hardcore gamers use dedicated videogame systems (or PCs) and casuals do not bother with gaming machines at all because their phone or tablet is good enough.  Handhelds will be more hurt by that than consoles and Nintendo sucks at consoles and seems indifferent towards addressing that.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »
Certainty AMD will be powering the NX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkpaz4HL83Y this was dicussed today via amd. We know there are 3 console SoC's, one being Scorpio, the other PS4Pro, so this clearly leaves Nintendo as the third.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 14, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »
NX needs two things, it needs to be priced right, and it needs to have games (Nintendo games) at a regular pace. I would argue it also needs traditional controls but it doesn't it needs controls that work, as long as they work for the games it gets. Do I want a PS4 that plays Nintendo games, sure but I don't want to pay for that, I chose PS4 for current gen and Wii U for Nintendo games, I as a consume realize that was necessary. I then picked up a cheap PS3 and never looked back. I also got a pair of Wii consoles, a pair complete working, for $5 bucks, WE are not the market Nintendo is chasing, they are going after kids and the rest of us will buy it anyways we always do. The kids that grew up on Playstation are not going to convert to Nintendo fans, the kids that grew up on Xbox need mental health evaluations when they should have just stuck to their real PC's and not put MS on the damn map, everyone else that games does it as a hobby occasionally.

Price, games, controls that work. When they do that they sell good when they don't they sell bad. Nintendo needs NX to sell well and if walking away from the dedicated console space, something MS and Sony are doing anyways, then that is what it takes that is what they need to do. Then the games that WILL sell to the Nintendo crowd will make their way on the console and the games that won' never were going to anyways. Remember outside NES when Nintendo FORCED developers to be exclusive, Nintendo never got all the games anyways even your beloved SNES, Genesis had DOZENS, literally dozens of superior games than SNES that SNES either didn't get or their only claim to fame was more colors.

Don't kid yourself. If you weren't a Nintendo gamer during the SNES, then I think you just excluded yourself from the "know." What I mean by that is that you talk as if SNES is some 'outlier' and that we should all just expect that the formula for Nintendo success looks like the N64, GameCube, and even more so the Wii--the basic idea being that Nintendo first party games will drive the sales and third party support is just a bonus. This is the problem IanSane has already pointed out with this line of thinking. Producing a $200 box with a simple control scheme and some sort of gimmick is just as likely to result in a firestorm of success as it is total consumer abandonment. The fact is that even someone such as myself, once a Nintendo fanboy who used to write for sites like this one, is all but nearly a Steam gamer now because there are a lot more interesting games on Valve's platform while Nintendo land looks a lot like a derelict amusement park these days.

If Nintendo follows your line of thinking, I may just not buy in on this round of Nintendo--it will be a first time ever for me.

The thing about the SNES that I think you fail to acknowledge is that it was not lacking in any genre. I did not hold animosity towards the Genesis like my Genesis brethren held towards the SNES. Both had Madden football, several varieties of baseball, basketball, and hockey. Both consoles had nearly everything going for them, except Genesis didn't have Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong (among many other legendary games). But it was a truly great time to be a gamer, as both consoles offered enough unique qualities to be loved. By comparison, I feel that today's gaming market is on the verge of becoming a disgrace because game publishers are really pushing to homogenize the gaming hardware market. The emphasis is more on portability and putting a single effort onto as many platforms as possible.

Now this all sounds good in practice and also offers the ease of market entry that has renewed the "indie" game development scene (basically, what we sort of already had once when smaller publishers such as Westwood and Maxis were legendary), BUT I would also like to point out that the unique hardware qualities (now seen strictly as challenges) of yesteryear also drove creativity to some degree. Developers saw these limitations as merely a puzzle to solve, and it's truly amazing some of the games that were produced for the SNES.

The point is basically that even though some other consoles had exclusives, the SNES had something really good for everyone. It was a powerhouse game console that not only drove 16-bit gaming but by the end of its life was pushing 3-dimensional polygonal graphics. It wasn't just some affordable gaming box with traditional controllers. This was when Nintendo was truly pioneering video games.

That beloved SNES succeeded on a formula that includes offering new and truly innovative blockbuster games. The Wii was an innovation, but the bulk of the games for it were not blockbusters. We want hardware that inspires truly exceptional titles rather than shovelware aimed at taking advantage of a flash market.

So while affordability and good traditional controls are certainly qualities that are needed to truly be successful, the game machine needs to have the potential to handle the games. Merely matching yesterday's potential seems weak by comparison. The leading edge of development yearns for something much more powerful than what we have today. We want to see Nintendo pushing the technological envelope because that's what they used to do really well.

As an aside, wouldn't we all rather see Nintendo take a big risk with some hardware even if it means said hardware is somewhat controversial in a positive way and for whatever reason comes up short? Early on the SNES was aid to be lacking in CPU, and Sega was quick to highlight this difference in their Sonic games. Now we all know the SNES totally got the last laugh in terms of GPU superiority. I'd rather see Nintendo attempt a power grab than continually settle with good enough graphics. I want potential. Even the Gamecube had unrealized potential.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:40:40 AM by Agent-X- »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:47 AM »
It was easy to get SNES-level of support when a company had a near monopoly on an entire industry for the better part of 10 years. Anyone longing for a return to those glory days is out of touch with reality. While there are plenty things Nintendo can do better to improve third party support today, the kind of support people think Nintendo can just pull out of a hat is unrealistic. Sony and Microsoft do things Nintendo is unwilling or unable to do. It isn't wise for Nintendo to launch a $400 to $500 console. While Nintendo will pick up a dead or struggling project, it won't get into a bidding war. Nintendo would like 10 of those to potentially make a difference on its platform. I wouldn't blame any company for not wanting to take those odds. Sony and Microsoft regularly do; Nintendo won't. For better or worse, it lives (and dies) by its own output.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: September 14, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
It was easy to get SNES-level of support when a company had a near monopoly on an entire industry for the better part of 10 years. Anyone longing for a return to those glory days is out of touch with reality. While there are plenty things Nintendo can do better to improve third party support today, the kind of support people think Nintendo can just pull out of a hat is unrealistic. Sony and Microsoft do things Nintendo is unwilling or unable to do. It isn't wise for Nintendo to launch a $400 to $500 console. While Nintendo will pick up a dead or struggling project, it won't get into a bidding war. Nintendo would like 10 of those to potentially make a difference on its platform. I wouldn't blame any company for not wanting to take those odds. Sony and Microsoft regularly do; Nintendo won't. For better or worse, it lives (and dies) by its own output.

Probably all the more reason to believe the NX will only be one platform that'll be your home and mobile console.  Consolidates Nintendo's developer efforts into one platform so that worst case scenario, if NX is Wii U-2, Nintendo can at least keep a steady stream of gaming in absence of 3rd parties.

Offline daifuco

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: September 14, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »
So while affordability and good traditional controls are certainly qualities that are needed to truly be successful, the game machine needs to have the potential to handle the games. Merely matching yesterday's potential seems weak by comparison. The leading edge of development yearns for something much more powerful than what we have today. We want to see Nintendo pushing the technological envelope because that's what they used to do really well.

What do you mean with potential? rawpower?

I think the important thing is to make a hardware balanced enough so development teams dont feel constrained by it.
But sometimes constrains are not that bad at all, you need creativity to overcome problems.
The gamecube had little memory compared to the Xbox. Which probable led to a cell shaded Zelda... of course back then internet kids were not happy with a "childish" zelda but now the Wind Walker is considered an outstanding work of art.
The Wii had Mario Galaxy one of the greatest looking game of its generation.

And... We are still in a Minecraft generation!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:14:42 AM by daifuco »

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: September 14, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »

Probably all the more reason to believe the NX will only be one platform that'll be your home and mobile console.  Consolidates Nintendo's developer efforts into one platform so that worst case scenario, if NX is Wii U-2, Nintendo can at least keep a steady stream of gaming in absence of 3rd parties.

Unlikely, as nintendo wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket.

There will be a home console and a handheld,  mark my word.

They will be two completely devices with compatible os's.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: September 14, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
I am not going to turn this into a stupid Sega vs. SNES Debate,  I DID OWN A FUCKING SNES I WAS ALIVE THROUGH IT SO DON'T ACT LIKE YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME ALRIGHT!

I am not saying it is better for Nintendo to shrug of 3rd party support, ALSO I have been a LONG advocate for them doing more than just what they do, BUt fucking crhist they aren't getting it, 20 years is not a fluke it is a pattern its a damn way of life it is NOT GOING TO CHANGE>

SO we say what would they be like if they didn't have their hand helds, how is that any different than pretending to predict where they would be if they did a or b with their consoles? It's not productive because there are too many variables.

YES Wii was a fluke but it hit the sweet spot, and Hey all of us, even me, who bitch about complain about it, even YOU Ian, who talk trash about it, we bought the fucking thing so then we forget we DID like it at one time, we try to pretend like we always hated it and then we talk **** about Wii U when we realize it didn't fail because of the reasons the Wii succeeded the truth is, we don't know why it failed, neither does Nintendo nobody does, we can guess we can make educated guesses and assumptions and we can talk factors, we know Price was a factor, we know games library was a factor.

Also sales do not matter, not as much as Ian tries to make them out, to YOU to 3rd parties they matter but we have to accept that unless Nintendo does something truly amazing they won't have Wii sales ever again but NEWS FLASH, they never had Wii sales before in the console market EVER. the best they did was NES when they literally had no real competition. When faced with competition they struggled, they BEAT Sega, they competed with Sega, but then they threw in the towel when Sony entered the arena and have been coasting every since. That is a hard damn fact.

I want them to have all the games sure, we all SHOULD but reality is what it is, that is all there is to it.

Adrock is right, I think it was easier for them to get that level of support when they FORCED companies to make games for them they were the only game in town. The last 20 years Nintendo should have been going all out to mend those relationships they didn't they are reaping what they sowed in those days.
Then they insult the very userbase that WANTS them to make more powerful consoles by making off handed comments about how power isn't important, so we already know that Nintendo is NOT going to chase that crowd again.

BUT where I think Ian is wrong, where I think NX is brilliant and will succeed is it will marry the handheld and console into one affordable device that will give it near SNES sales and NEAR SNES library of support, it will have that because indies who grew up on SNES are trying their hardest to recreate that right now and Nintendo is relying on that they are counting on that. DS systems sell because they are cheap and have the games, hey gues what the 3DS has already outpaced the SNES and it also has a larger and more varied library, so if ALL the NX did was just play the 3DS library on a TV NINTENDO already is back to SNES levels.

That is where I think delusional people forget, SNES was NOT the massive hit they keep trying to remember it as, it was a hit but it sold less than 60 million, every single console "winner" since then has sold over 60 million so chew on that. Whatever, if NX sells 45 million it still won't have the 3rd party support SNES had, probably 75 percent or MORE of the companies that made games then are DEAD, gone end of story. The only companies that were around then still making games that haven't into the modern era are Nintendo, Sega, and Capcom. Capcom is struggling, Nintendo is not, Sega might as well just sell Sonic to Nintendo and be done.

Every franchise from the SNES is either Sony exclusive or done, some evolved into handheld games or continued on the handheld market, but the console versions died out, so asking for Nintendo to make a console that also plays CoD and Madden is stupid. asking Nintendo to make a handheld that plays all the original and retro games the handheld gets PLUS Nintendo stuff and can connect to your TV is smart.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:19:38 AM by supermario2k »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: September 14, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »

If so, I will likely sit NX out until end of life cycle.  I don't have confidence Nintendo has the developer bandwidth to maintain two separate devices anymore, and my appetite for Japanese-centric gameplay has waned over the last console generation.

That said, enough of the walls of text, people.  I look here to see if anyone has scooped up any hot NX news, not to see the same stupid arguments rehashed over and over.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: September 14, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »

If so, I will likely sit NX out until end of life cycle.  I don't have confidence Nintendo has the developer bandwidth to maintain two separate devices anymore, and my appetite for Japanese-centric gameplay has waned over the last console generation.

That said, enough of the walls of text, people.  I look here to see if anyone has scooped up any hot NX news, not to see the same stupid arguments rehashed over and over.

Well, I've posted tidbits and news. Where AMD talks about their SoC's just the other day, and that there was 3 console SoC's.

Now the important thing here is that they said three, two of course as I've mentioned previously were the Pro and scorpio... now who could the third be? I'm banking the NX, it lines up with previous statements from AMD on when it'll be announced when there's more clarity. That sounds like Nintendo.

Also what lends credence to this is that Nvidia already had their conference and talked about what they're doing going forward, they did not mentioned anything game related, and they have canned projects with the Tegra chips and are working with smart cars and the like.

No matter how much people want to insist that Nvidia Tegra is powering the NX or it's a hybrid, it's just not going with what Nintendo has stated in the last two years. Also EG was wrong on the 3DS, so it feels history repeating itself.

Also the so called "Concepts" for the NX seems to look exactly like the Razor tablet that came out awhile back that was using the tegra. I think they are desperate for clicks or were trolled.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: September 14, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
This thread has stopped being relevant about 10 pages ago. At this point I don't know why people would still care about NX if Nintendo still can't figure out a way to properly reveal the thing less than 6 months from release. They apparently were going for a September reveal but even that is getting pushed to October.  Meanwhile rumors keep festering and people keep bickering and if everything about these rumors pan out we're basically looking at another Wii U. I've personally checked out and that says a lot. Nintendo's silence is now teetering on the brink of irrelevance.

Well, I've posted tidbits and news. Where AMD talks about their SoC's just the other day, and that there was 3 console SoC's.
That's literally the same news story from weeks ago of the 3 design wins by AMD. Nothing new has been added.

Also EG was wrong on the 3DS, so it feels history repeating itself.

Eurogamer was indeed wrong but they published a retraction of that story before the 3DS was revealed. That hasn't happened yet in this case.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:26:11 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: September 14, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
This thread has stopped being relevant about 10 pages ago. At this point I don't know why people would still care about NX if Nintendo still can't figure out a way to properly reveal the thing less than 6 months from release. They apparently were going for a September reveal but even that is getting pushed to October.  Meanwhile rumors keep festering and people keep bickering and if everything about these rumors pan out we're basically looking at another Wii U. I've personally checked out and that says a lot. Nintendo's silence is now teetering on the brink of irrelevance.

That's literally the same news story from weeks ago of the 3 design wins by AMD. Nothing new has been added.

Also EG was wrong on the 3DS, so it feels history repeating itself.

Eurogamer was indeed wrong but they published a retraction of that story before the 3DS was revealed. That hasn't happened yet in this case.

It doesn't mean they're right either, sources from actual devs have gone to say the NX is more powerful than the PS4, the tegra wouldn't be capable of doing that.

Also it seems the NX has gotten it's specs upgraded to do AR/VR. The Tegra could in no conceivable way be able to do such a thing.