Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 667559 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (Calm before the storm? Edition)
« Reply #1975 on: September 07, 2016, 02:47:26 AM »
Could Nintendo throw caution to the wind and just kinda throw a Hail Mary pass with specs on this console? 

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: September 07, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
Could Nintendo throw caution to the wind and just kinda throw a Hail Mary pass with specs on this console? 

No.  After the Wii U, they want a system that if it bombs again they can minimize the losses.  This is once again why the Wii's specs were what they were since after the Gamecube Nintendo wanted something that wouldn't kill them if it sold similar numbers or even worse.

The NX will be as powerful as Nintendo can afford it to be while still selling at a profit, with the ability to drop the price in case the worst happens, something they were unable to do with the Wii U.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: September 07, 2016, 09:46:23 AM »
via the evil NeoGaf: Nintendo Europe giving away an NX for a Splatoon Tournament.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/773436875864440832

It looks like that tournament runs six months, so I don't think Nintendo is planning on delaying the NX past March!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: September 07, 2016, 10:23:45 AM »
So no final Fantasy 7 remake anymore?

Nope. Nintendo stuck with a cartridge format for the NX while PlayStation 4 went with a CD format so now the Final Fantasy 7 remake is going to be on PlayStation instead.
It's history repeating itself all over again!
I replied just to let you know that at least someone got your joke. Well played.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: September 07, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »

No.  After the Wii U, they want a system that if it bombs again they can minimize the losses.  This is once again why the Wii's specs were what they were since after the Gamecube Nintendo wanted something that wouldn't kill them if it sold similar numbers or even worse.

The NX will be as powerful as Nintendo can afford it to be while still selling at a profit, with the ability to drop the price in case the worst happens, something they were unable to do with the Wii U.

But isn't it this kind of mindset that has placed Nintendo in this situation? The mistake made with the Wii U isn't that the hardware was too costly, and it also isn't the gamepad. We could spend a hundred pages talking about what the real mistake with the Wii U was (as there were many mistakes), but I assert that hardware cost and unique controller were not the mistakes made.

I would even argue that not investing more in hardware is a contributing factor to their current position. Better hardware won't remedy the WIi U's problems, but the hardware is definitely one of the reasons why Nintendo is out.

Having to place cushions on the ground in case your next stunt fails is reason alone for most of us to remain skeptical of Nintendo.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: September 07, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »

Nope. Nintendo stuck with a cartridge format for the NX while PlayStation 4 went with a CD format so now the Final Fantasy 7 remake is going to be on PlayStation instead.
I replied just to let you know that at least someone got your joke. Well played.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I thought that post was brilliant but it seemed to have gone totally ignored as people kept posting about make believe specs. Here. Have a bag of money.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:22:23 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: September 07, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

Thanks! I appreciate it. I thought that post was brilliant but it seemed to have gone totally ignored as people kept posting about make believe specs.

The make believe specs is anything from Nvidia on the home console ;)
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: September 07, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
I noticed and thought it was clever.  I give you a heart+.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: September 07, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »

Sounds like Nintendo doing the very things that will ensure a flop to minimize the impact of a flop.  If they cheap out on specs the console will flop because the support will be non-existent and consoles with no games don't sell.  The Wii was a lucky fad and I fear the Nintendo-as-a-console-maker story will end on a string of failed attempts to recapture that lightning in the bottle.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: September 07, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
via GoNintendo: Bethesda seems to know what the NX is, acts kinda douchey.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q%5Btitle_cont%5D=nx&q%5Bcategory_ids_in%5D=&button=

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: September 07, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »
I didn't think Pete Hines was being douchey. That was definitely a non-interview though. The gist of it for anyone too lazy to click the link:

Metro: So Nintendo is a thing, right?
Hines: Nintendo sure is a thing. We're always in contact with Nintendo. We say words at each other sometimes.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 07, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »
I noticed and thought it was clever.  I give you a heart+.

Ok, Sport! Here's a fat-free Yogurt.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 08, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks for thinking of my health.  I would just blow a bag of money on regular fat yogurt.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 10, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
based on the current speculation of the controller config, what do you guys think of this mock up?

(while replacing controller mode with the missing 3DS mode, which would be both controller halves attached to either side of the screen in vertical mode.)

Personally I like the concept, but sometimes, too many options is too many options, and some people get confused too easily. On the other hand, there isn't a game type that this can't do.

What also isn't shown would be the optional head gear to attach the screen to for VR mode, and you already have your motion controls in hand.

There really wouldn't be a game type this couldn't play with that many possible configurations out of the box. Only needed additional equipment would be the headgear for optional VR mode.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 10, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
I still don't like the detachable controllers thing unless it's just for replacement parts. When it comes to controllers, there should be fewer options, not more. Traditional, touch screen, motion; that's it. None of the options have start and select.

Cocktail Arcade Mode doesn't look like it can be a realistic option in practice. People move when playing games, and there's bound to be some cunts who yank the controller away.

NES mode and Pointer Mode would require a battery for each part. First, who wants to pay for that? Second, who wants to potentially charge three separate things? It's messy, and just doesn't seem necessary or worth it.

I doubt there's a single Smash Bros. elitist who would bother with an add-on. It's GameCube controllers or bust.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 10, 2016, 09:38:54 PM »
I'm sure it would require a battery in all parts regardless if the controllers detached for independent use. And you could easily charge all 3 at once just by reattaching them to the screen, and plugging the unit in as a whole.

So while I'm sure there are little things to nitpick, and everyone probably has one or two about the design, I think it practically covers everything in 3 pieces that all come in the box (4 if you include a base station/tv dock).

It would definitely be something quite different from PSXboxOne4, while also allowing it to play the exact same games as them, but games that they cannot without some sort of major design change or additional hardware too.

So I'm fully onboard with style of design.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
Reattaching the parts to charge the controllers still means you can't use them in NES Mode or Pointer Mode. That isn't a nitpick; that's fundamentally problematic design. That means there are situations when you just can't play certain games unless everything is tethered to an outlet. What the **** kind of games machine is that?

Simplicity is key. If I can detach the controller so the touchscreen is easier to hold when creating levels in Super Mario Maker or to replace them because controllers wear down over time which we just accepted with every other handheld ever, that makes sense to me. Adding a myriad of options overly complicates the whole thing. Sure, other companies will likely create peripherals if the included controllers detach, but let them worry about that mess. Nintendo should focus on ergonomic yet elegant design and ease of use.

Despite all the leaks, I doubt we've heard everything. Detachable controllers have pros and cons just like everything else. Once you entertain the idea that they operate independently, you start running into the major flaws. NX is rumored to have a 6.2 inch 720p screen, and the thinking is to add more weight and cost to that? No, sir, I don't like it.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 11, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »
The sticks are too far away from the face buttons/D-pad. Given that most developers may default to a twin-stick setup you're either going to be very uncomfortable playing them or (surprise surprise) you're going to have to default to a second controller.

This looks like it's trying to appease way to many options and it does none of them right. None of the modes feel like they're comfortable to hold.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 11, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
Reattaching the parts to charge the controllers still means you can't use them in NES Mode or Pointer Mode. That isn't a nitpick; that's fundamentally problematic design. That means there are situations when you just can't play certain games unless everything is tethered to an outlet. What the **** kind of games machine is that?

...but if the controller is dead, then you weren't going to be using them to play anything anyway.
and it's not like it still couldn't charge independently if needed. The solution to that problem would be to include inductive charging for ease of use and less wires and ports to connect them to.

If Nintendo wants to be up on Tech, offer more Bang for the Buck, and look like a Pioneer in the industry, wireless controllers that recharge wirelessly would be a good move and make perfect sense.

Simplicity is key. If I can detach the controller so the touchscreen is easier to hold when creating levels in Super Mario Maker or to replace them because controllers wear down over time which we just accepted with every other handheld ever, that makes sense to me. Adding a myriad of options overly complicates the whole thing. Sure, other companies will likely create peripherals if the included controllers detach, but let them worry about that mess. Nintendo should focus on ergonomic yet elegant design and ease of use.

But I think that's the beauty of that design. It is simple. A screen with controllers that detach.
You can do so much with so little. It's simple, yet it's also sophisticated by giving you options to play many types of games in many types of ways with nothing more than what came in the box. A screen with controllers that detach.

Where I see things getting complicated would be the additional attachments, like the "gamecube controller add-on" and other such additional and unnecessary stuff that clutter the space beneath your TV.

Despite all the leaks, I doubt we've heard everything. Detachable controllers have pros and cons just like everything else. Once you entertain the idea that they operate independently, you start running into the major flaws. NX is rumored to have a 6.2 inch 720p screen, and the thinking is to add more weight and cost to that? No, sir, I don't like it.

Cost is always a concern, but Nintendo underdelivering on a good idea is also an issue with their past 2 home consoles. They need to see an idea all the way through instead of gimping it due to cost concerns.

They crippled the Wiimote by removing the motion+ aspect of it due to saving something like $2 per controller. Had they just ate the cost or passed it on (Oh No Wii cost $201.99 instead of $199.99), they could have avoided the whole "waggle" fiasco once the Wii Sports novelty passed.
The Wii U was almost still-born since the controller had no processing of it's own, which means you were still kinda stuck to 20ft from the console unless you had thick walls. Cost was a major concern in that case, but it was still an idea that was half executed, and therefore ultimately failed.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1994 on: September 11, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »
"Controller mode" looks terribly uncomfortable.  The controller needs to be wider or my fingers are going to be bumping into eachother.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: September 11, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »
"Controller mode" looks terribly uncomfortable.  The controller needs to be wider or my fingers are going to be bumping into eachother.

Yeah, that's why I suggested replacing that with the 3DS mode.

controller move can be the same a pointer mode. the halves working independently.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: September 11, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »
That mockup is insane. I wonder how long that took?

Let's start with what I like. I like that it can play anything, which means it can play every VC game. I also like that I can change its orientation. Some games play better vertically. They used tetris, but I would have used a space shooter.

It's interesting for sure, but I'm still on the "NX is a platform, not one system" boat. I just don't see Nintendo messing with the DS formula that drastically, with both the DS and 3DS selling well.

I think Nintendo's main motivations this round are: How can we provide more software in a timely matter for both handheld and console? How can we entice people to buy both?

The only conclusion I can come to is to make both markedly different from one another but still play the same games. I suggested Nintendo offer one game that plays on both, but in reality, they could go the SSB approach and offer a bundle for a discount and still achieve the same effect as long as the development process on the game itself is cut in half. This would ensure a reliable stream of games on both systems from Nintendo and allow third parties to sell their wares on both handheld and console with little effort.

If the two system idea is what is actually being planned, then the next question is how closely do you relate the specs? A better question is how close do they have to be? We could assume they at least have to run the same version of engine in order to be compatible. And that's probably why we keep hearing rumors about Nvidia. They have the SoC that can run today's latest engines on a handheld. I don't think they'll go with Parker though. Nintendo made a mistake pricing the 3DS at $250 and now knows it'll be hard to get away with anything over $200. I particularly like $189.

Our biggest clue to how powerful it has to be is can it run BotW? The Wii U can. Does anyone know if the X1 is comparable to the Wii U or at least make an educated guess? Another clue we have is Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS. This type of conversion might be what we're likely to be looking at.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: September 11, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
...but if the controller is dead, then you weren't going to be using them to play anything anyway.
and it's not like it still couldn't charge independently if needed. The solution to that problem would be to include inductive charging for ease of use and less wires and ports to connect them to.
A dead battery is universal. That's not really the problem. The messaging is confusing. And there's no way Nintendo includes three separate AC adapters for independent charging. Sure, it's convenient sometimes. However, as previously stated, Nintendo would be added weight and cost for the option to use shittier controls.
But I think that's the beauty of that design. It is simple. A screen with controllers that detach.
You can do so much with so little. It's simple, yet it's also sophisticated by giving you options to play many types of games in many types of ways with nothing more than what came in the box. A screen with controllers that detach.
I don't think that's simple at all. Nintendo would be adding different parts that detach and need to be charged and can get lost. Some games use them, some don't. That's a marketing nightmare, and I don't know if I trust Nintendo enough to pull that off.

I've never been sold on the hybrid concept, but if Nintendo is going to make it work, NX has to be one better than the other. Being a mobile device first is the better move. A handheld device can scale up better than a console can scale down (mainly due to physics and thermodynamics). That said, it's in Nintendo's best interest to make the best portable it can without compromising the benefits of a portable. If that means a standard portable with an HDMI-port, so be it. Handhelds are personal devices. Let it stay that way on-the-go. Docked at home, have a separate Pro Controller. That is the simplest messaging Nintendo can have if it insists on going this direction. Adding weight and cost just to have detachable controllers that will inevitably confuse most of the people Nintendo is targeting is asinine.
Cost is always a concern, but Nintendo underdelivering on a good idea is also an issue with their past 2 home consoles. They need to see an idea all the way through instead of gimping it due to cost concerns.
Extra controllers are hidden costs on consoles. Besides being overpriced to all hell, they aren't included on consoles MSRP. On a machine with detachable controllers, that cost is now included.
I think Nintendo's main motivations this round are: How can we provide more software in a timely matter for both handheld and console? How can we entice people to buy both?
If Nintendo were to release a console and a handheld (which is currently looking slim), I don't think Nintendo can entice people to buy both. However, Nintendo combined its console and handheld hardware devisions for a reason, presumably since it couldn't handle supporting both. My thinking is the console would play all the handheld games like a Gameboy Player out of the box. It'll be like the New 3DS or PS4 Pro in that games played on the more powerful console will benefit from improved performance. Nintendo would likely develop games primarily with the handheld in mind. Considering how powerful NX is, I don't think it'd be an issue.
Our biggest clue to how powerful it has to be is can it run BotW? The Wii U can. Does anyone know if the X1 is comparable to the Wii U or at least make an educated guess? Another clue we have is Xenoblade Chronicles on 3DS. This type of conversion might be what we're likely to be looking at.
At best, Tegra X1 is two to three times as powerful as Wii U. That isn't a bad goal for a portable. Unfortunately, you aren't getting that performance without a heatsink. That said, Nintendo would have to go with Parker. Being on a smaller node and utilizing more modern technology would solve the heat problem.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: September 11, 2016, 06:03:20 PM »
Hmmm... So you're proposing that Nintendo may focus their efforts on hand-held development with upscaling coming automatically on the console? I can see that.

I was thinking the opposite. Nintendo would focus on developing for their home console and downgrading their graphics for the hand-held. But if hand-held development includes making games like BotW, then I see no problem with your idea.

It still gives people the option to buy either and enjoy the entirety of Nintendo's catalog.

EDIT:

So the x1 gets incredibly hot? Hmmm....that's going to make the hand-held quite expensive. I was thinking for both the console and hand-held it'd cost $500.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:05:38 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1999 on: September 11, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
The mockup is interesting.  However, some of those modes would be extremely uncomfortable.

The Gameboy Mode just won't work.  The system is going to be too heavy to be comfortable like that...and the connector might snap or be very fragile in that orientation.  This is probably true with the Cocktail mode even though it is cool it is also kinda pointless and could cause problems. 

2) Controller Mode just won't work with that shape.  For a photoshop edit it works fine, but that right analog stick is going to be uncomfortable while playing with buttons, plus you can't even use it like a fully compatible traditional controller.