Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193571 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #3900 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
I'll have to pay more attention to Benoist's flying-really-fast face. I didn't think much of it. I expected her hair to be blown back more. Then again, no one's face would ever look that calm and good-looking when traveling that fast.

Some additional thoughts:

1. It's nice to see Chyler Leigh still getting work.

2. Are they setting Hank Henshaw up to eventually be Cyborg Superman? I suppose if the DC TV Universe (is there an official name for this?) ignores the Death of Superman storyline, it doesn't matter if Henshaw is black. Otherwise, the whole Henshaw pretending to be Superman to destroy his reputation doesn't work.

3. My understanding is that Winn created Supergirl's costume. It's damage resistant and bulletproof except the cape isn't? It sounds like the writers really wanted Supergirl's cape to be Kal-El's blankie but had no real explanation for why that needed to happen.

4. Why is Winn working at a magazine? And how is he getting all of this high-tech stuff?

5. Winn also hacks into local and federal government computer systems without any apprehension as if he doesn't face decades in prison if he's caught. He's just using his work computer. I suppose the power of boners really is that strong.

6. It's weird to me that Kara, James, and Winn openly talk about Kara being Supergirl in front of fucking everyone all the time, and only Alex is like, "Hey, maybe don't?"

7. Way to give up Superman's identity like it isn't a matter of global security, James...

8. Calista Flockhart is trying really hard to impersonate Meryl Streep's impersonation of Anna Wintour. She's not doing a bad job; she's not doing a great job either.

9. I don't know why Supergirl ever moves at regular human speed when fighting bad guys. I know they're limited by budgets, but it's still weird and inconsistent. Also, she just watches Reactron fly away and doesn't even bother to attempt to chase after him.

I don't know if I'm going to finish watching this show. There are a lot of little things that are just annoying me. Unlike other shows, Supergirl didn't draw me in from the beginning so I don't have the same urge to continue.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:48:53 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: September 18, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
don't take it so seriously, forgive some of the effects and "hand-waving"  and its actually becomes entertaining.

#2 - No, but... redacted

#8 - I liked Calista, not so much at first, but she'll grow on you.

Theres an upcoming Flash crossover. great moment for everyone.

#9 Superman is inconsistent himself as a character in every medium he's in. So its no surprise that Supergirl would be too. If they handled everything faster than the speed of a bulllet, there would almost never be any conflict. But consistency happens to be one of Superman's biggest complaints for being a boring character. Too many powers, and yet only as powerful as he needs to be for whatever story he is in.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: September 18, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
I always felt that the Super-folks' biggest challenge should have been how to NOT kill people in their line of work. Like moving at human speeds is difficult for them and learning how to use their powers on a setting other than annihilate.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:31 PM »
that might have made them more interesting, to watch the moment to moment struggle to not treat our world like everything is moving in slow motion and like everything isn't made of tissue paper.
But I imagine that would have gotten old rather quickly.

Which is exactly why they keep introducing increasingly powerful characters, and then nerf the superpowers to make the conflict from being totally lopsided.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: September 18, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »
don't take it so seriously, forgive some of the effects and "hand-waving"  and its actually becomes entertaining.
I don't watch a lot of television. I have a finite amount of time to devote to shows so I want to make it count. I have heard good things about the Flash crossover outside of NWR so I'll try to stick it out. Supergirl is riddled with problems. Individually, they're tolerable. Collectively, they're distracting. Casting for Jimmy Olsen is such an infinite facepalm.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:59 AM »
GOTHAM S3E1 **SPOILER ALERT**

BATMAN was on Gotham tonight.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »

hmm, I need to finish out S2 on Netflix.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: September 23, 2016, 10:39:39 PM »

Crazy, We are starting S2 on Netflix soon. Excited to get back into that show.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: September 23, 2016, 10:52:24 PM »
Both of you quoted my post... so I'll just assume you read what it said. {in the hidden text} lol

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3909 on: September 25, 2016, 09:47:33 PM »

Seriously? 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: September 26, 2016, 02:35:56 AM »

Seriously? 

seriously

but since i'm in here, did anyone watch Lethal Weapon the TV show?
I thought this was actually pretty good, and got a few legit laughs that were out loud. seriously. I was entertained.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:38:02 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: September 27, 2016, 01:47:33 AM »
Glad to hear good things about Lethal Weapon. I was on the verge of writing it off as a cheap knock-off cashing in on a popular movie series. I'll check it out once we are done with the current line of shows on out to-watch list.

Anyone watch the new MacGyver show at all?
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: September 27, 2016, 01:56:37 AM »
MacGuyver is in my queue, along with The Exorcist. I'll let you know how they are when I get to them.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: September 27, 2016, 08:48:25 AM »
Apparently MacGyver is awful. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: September 27, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »
Apparently MacGyver is awful.
It was pretty to see from the trailer I saw. MacGyver is many things, a hip douche he is not.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: September 27, 2016, 10:45:48 PM »
Richard Dean Anderson never needed a sniper for cover.  He is superior on that basis alone.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: September 28, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »
I just watched the first ~10 minutes, and it seems like it's trying to be the new Burn Notice, with a hi-tech (james bond-ish) twist.

I barely remember the old MacGuyver show from the 80's outside of being able to improvise the impossible out of almost anything, so I can't really compare what I was just watching now to the OG GOAT Improvisor of then. But I might finish later. I was just killing about 10 minutes while I was waiting for something else I wanted to watch to be ready to watch.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: September 28, 2016, 01:38:47 AM »
Burn Notice is a good show. It just went maybe 1.5 seasons too long with so many false endings and the revolving door of big bads. They didn't build up enough side characters to drag it out that long.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: September 28, 2016, 11:21:51 PM »
i just finished the episode and the show is a lot more like that show Scorpion where things just always seem to work out because I was so smart that how could it not....!?

not really a show that interest me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: September 28, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
2 Episodes of Agents of SHIELD in so far and Ghost Rider has been pretty damn good.
actually the 1st 2 episodes have been pretty good as well.

Shotgun Axe finally makes it's debut, Ghost Rider flames up, Daisy Quakes till she breaks, May finally shows some emotion, and we now now something about the new director that probably wasn't expected.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: September 29, 2016, 01:18:54 AM »
I didn't expect Ghost Rider to show up as I don't look up any information before something I am going to watch comes out. I really, really wanted to see Nic Cage to show up and literally steal the show with his insanity. Obviously wasn't a possibility as I don't think Cage does TV even if they had the money but it would have blew everyone's Face Off.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: October 02, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »
Luke Cage - Netflix

Another winner from Netflix and Marvel.
It can be a little slow at times as Luke himself is very calm in his delivery of.... well, everything.
But fortunately for him everyone around him was great (outside of the cheesyness of Shades who I liked, but thought he wasn't quite the look for the role his character he played), and quite memorable.
The musical cameos were a good touch and one special guest appearance (as himself), which turned into a multi-guest appearance (as themselves) was really well done.
I'm actually hoping to hear about it tomorrow morning on the radio.

edit:
There may be some that think DD sets the standard, and that JJ had a few too many episodes, but I think Luke Cage did well on the balancing act of competent progressive story with plenty of references to real world people/drama/events, action beats, musical direction, overall MCU connectivity and moderate pacing.
Hell, I could even see a fashion trend coming out of this show if marketed correctly. LOL

actually I should probably jump on that..... money making opportunity for real.

final edit:
This show is unapologetically black, from the liberal but natural use of the N-word, the musical selection, obviously the cast, but also the direct correlation to the present problems on-going in today's society, and I love not only Netflix for making it, but Marvel for allowing it.

One of the things that sets the MCU apart from the DCCU, is that it takes place in the "real world". Real locations, real cities, and when it can, as seen countless times in Luke Cage, referencing real people, events and problems.
They took great care to reflect the actual societal make-up of the region with heavy focus on Black and Latino communities in this show.

It's no wonder Netflix went down yesterday, as I'm sure this show is doing quite well for Marvel/Netflix right now.
This show may not have had the highest highs of the Netflix MCU shows (that goes to parts of DD S1 and S2, especially The Punisher in S2), but it wasn't far behind, and certainly more consistent, IMO.

One of the best things about this show was that it wasn't just about Luke, or his villain, or this other character or that other character. It was about all of them, and the town it self. the entire community, as a whole. Now I could just be on a Luke Cage Marvel Netflix high right now, but this was a good show.

Stranger Things is still probably my favorite thing Netflix has done, but that takes nothing away from Luke Cage.
I can't wait for a season 2 or a follow-up in whatever form comes after The Defenders, and with Netflix ramping up for more original shows, I really hope that bumps us up to 3-4 Marvel shows a year.

Next year we have Iron Fist S1, followed by The Defenders, and possibly even DD S3
2018 could be JJ S2, The Punisher S1, and LC S2.

With the amount of references and foreshadowing done in Luke Cage, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Heroes for Hire show combining JJ, LC & IF into one show w/ Misty and Colleen who maybe split to their own show.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:32:56 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: October 04, 2016, 04:39:17 PM »
Westworld is GORGEOUS. The music and visuals is fantastic, and despite the (appropriate, but some may consider it as excessive) nudity it's the little details that's got me interested to see more.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: October 04, 2016, 09:55:07 PM »
Westworld!!!!

The acting is just perfect. They give all the Hosts that creepy feeling by having the actors kill almost all those micro-expressions. They pick the "Emotion" they want to express and put it on like a mask.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: October 05, 2016, 12:49:55 AM »
Westworld is GORGEOUS. The music and visuals is fantastic, and despite the (appropriate, but some may consider it as excessive) nudity it's the little details that's got me interested to see more.

Remember Game of Thrones was much more heavy on nudity in the first 2-3 seasons than it has been in the more recent few. HBO seems to use sex to help draw a crowd and keep them held long enough for the story and characters to hook you.
My Game Collection