Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243596 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #575 on: April 26, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
It should be an option to make blue shells the only item just as much as it should be an option to remove them altogether, a Smash-style item switch would be great. I think a race with only blue shells would completely change the strategy and would have people fighting to stay out of first place until that reverses toward the end of the game, and that sounds like it would be really fun.
That's actually an amazing idea. A blue-shell only race would be delightfully hectic.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #576 on: April 27, 2008, 05:56:03 AM »
I would like everyone to know that Joystiq has tons of coverage. Check out the retrospective. :)
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2008, 01:24:48 PM »
I tried the Wii Wheel. It was alright. I wish there was a control settings option. Also, I wish flicking the wheel up allowed me to jump.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2008, 01:29:17 PM »
Wow the Online rocks, the Motorcycles rock, the wheel rocks. I'm very impressed.

The game looks great too.  Wow this is a great game.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 27, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
Are you getting any lag?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 27, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
no lag here, so far the online ROCKS. much easier to connect and play than Brawl. Thank GOD
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 27, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
Yes Online Rocks and NO LAG.  The Setup actually feels fast too. It is very cool.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 27, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »
Stop being in an eternal race, EC! :@

(Oh great, now you broke the room you made! ='D)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:34:47 PM by Bill Aurion »
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 27, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »
The wheel works well, but I doubt I'll use it much. The Star Cup in this game is one of the best cups in any Mario Kart ever.

EDIT: I wonder why the European Mario Kart Channel is 86 blocks but the American one is only 78.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:14:01 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
I am using the wii wheel at all times. I like it.

Is there NO rainbow road in this one?  I already unlocked the 4 lower cups and was expecting to see it in the last one! WTF

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 27, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
The wheel works well, but I doubt I'll use it much. The Star Cup in this game is one of the best cups in any Mario Kart ever.

EDIT: I wonder why the European Mario Kart Channel is 86 blocks but the American one is only 78.

different language characters???
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 27, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

Is there NO rainbow road in this one?  I already unlocked the 4 lower cups and was expecting to see it in the last one! WTF

It's in the 4th one on the top row, the bottom row is all retro tracks.

different language characters???

The characters would be built into the system. It could be the different text but there doesn't seem to be much text in the channel, and even if there were I doubt it would make an 8 block difference.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 27, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »

It's in the 4th one on the top row, the bottom row is all retro tracks.

Oh duh...

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 27, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:27:20 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #589 on: April 27, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »
I've experienced some lag during in-game and online play, mostly when going really really fast or  when someone else is, but not very much and the game over all is great. I thought you would be able to friend strangers, but you can't. Also I am bad with the wheel, but I want to try and get good with it.

I think the inclusion of the POW Block defeats the Spiny Shell, the shell should have been left out. Even though the retro tracks are included the small changes are a bit fun. The overall breadth of the new courses make up for this.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #590 on: April 27, 2008, 09:42:23 PM »
Since Morari mentioned it, anyone find it funny how some reviewers are ragging on MK Wii for not being revolutionary enough and too simplistic, yet they ragged on Double Dash for messing with the formula too much?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 27, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »
"I'm probably in the minority, but I miss the strategy that having two characters per cart brought to the game. Of course, characters don't even have individualized special items now!"

Character items in Double Dash were sorely unbalanced...It would have been cool to have a "Double Dash" mode included, though...

"I can't seem to do local multiplayer with JUST another human and myself, there is always a horde of computer controller opponents thrown in as well. That is annoying to say the least, and really limits the kind of replay value that Double Dash saw."

If anything the replay value is quadruple-billion'd by online play, but the roundabout way to do it is just have your friends buy Mario Kart (because you can have matches just against your friends, with no bots, if you open a room)...

"The new Power Slide mechanism works well enough, but doesn't seem as cut out for dodging incoming red shells and such. Is this new system for broader appeal or is it specifically to eliminate snaking? I can understand that people became angry over others "snaking" through an entire track, but I never had that happen. More than likely the only time anyone ever tried was if we were neck-in-neck going into the finish line."

You didn't race enough, then, because snaking was STILL all over the place the last time I checked Mario Kart DS online...You can't dodge red shells anyway...

"The game looks pretty ugly given what we've seen the Wii due. In fact, right off the bat, I thought that the characters in the selection screen were downright hideous."

Good thing that's not why you bought the game, right? =)

"The Wii Wheel doesn't seem to turn tightly enough, and the GameCube controller isn't set up to use both shoulder buttons to slide. One fires your weapon instead. I haven't checked to see if this can be reconfigured though."

I haven't even touched anything but the Wii Wheel, and it's amazing...It definitely requires a bit more learning curve than the previous games, and you need to learn to drift into turns rather than trying to just turn normally...

"Baby Peach."

At least Baby Peach was in a game...Try BABY DAISY... =|

"Retro Tracks are a cop-out. I wouldn't mind seeing a few old favorites done up in a NEW and INTERESTING manner, but don't simply use prefab tracks for half of the game's content."

Would you rather there be 16 new tracks and ZERO old ones?  Because 16 will always be the number of new tracks...The old ones are a decent selection anyway, so no complaining...I don't want Nintendo to reveal the next Mario Kart like "Someone complained about the retro courses, so we are taking them out...16 courses in all!" :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:38:40 PM by Bill Aurion »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 27, 2008, 10:13:34 PM »
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:27:11 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
"As far as Character Items go, they probably were poorly balanced in Double Dash. That doesn't mean that they couldn't have been planned out better and presented again. Besides, they didn't seem nearly as unbalanced as the Final Smash attacks in Brawl do."

Unfortunately, as Brawl showed, I'm sure it's very difficult to balance out a crapload of character specific items...That's probably why they took them out in the first place...

"That unfortunately doesn't help me when I just want to sit down and play with my fiance. Double Dash provided months and months of "before bed" activity because we could race through all of the tracks in about forty-five minutes."

Yeah, I can see how that's a pain in the ass...Perhaps there's a way to bump the CPU off that we aren't finding? (I personally haven't even checked VS mode yet...)

"I raced plenty, I just didn't race against people that value competition above fun. Though to be fair, I doubt one or two of my regular opponents would have even been able to snake through an entire race."

Haha, that's why I pretty much only played with friends in Mario Kart DS...But thankfully they fixed it so I don't have to wait for them to pop online to get a good, fair race going...

I expected that the wheel would take some practice. After about an hour of initially playing with it however, I decided to switch over to the GameCube controller so as to better assess the game itself instead of some Wiimote shell. As I said, I don't feel as if it turns as tightly as I'd like it to. It may just be me though. I'm going to continue fiddling with it.

Do...The first several hours had me struggling, wondering if I would ever get it down...And after wasting all day, I definitely have it down for the most part...But I adapt easily, so I don't know how others will fare in comparison...

Spoiler! :P

Sorry...But I'm sure I saved you a stroke and an online rant! ='D

I would rather have thirty-two NEW courses. Saying that Nintendo simply won't put more than sixteen new tracks in a Mario Kart game seems kind of silly.

Nope, it's reality, unfortunately...It's a lot easier to just try really hard on 16 solid new courses and chunk in 16 old ones... ='D

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 27, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
I love the wheel, it's a whole new damn experience when playing it. 
Online is actually FUN and virtually no issues whatsoever.  Now granted, I'm using the LAN adapter.
Mario Kart DS doesn't exist for me anymore, they've completely made up for it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 27, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »
It is amazing, I still haven't touched anything but the Wii Wheel since Thursday. Doubt I will.

I'm pretty sure you CAN turn CPU off in offline VS. In the "rules" box at the top right when you go to VS race. The "double dash" mode is also something that made Double Dash unique so the game isn't useless when the sequels come out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
The more I use the Wii Wheel, the more I dig it. Wii remote + nunchuck also works well.

No 2 player Grand Prix = FAIL. What the hell, Nintendo?

50CC = Karts only, 100CC = bikes only, 150CC = both. Why? Why not have all CC for karts, all CC for bikes, and all CC for both.

Can you change multiplayer rules? Also, of the four N64 battle mode stages, they picked Skyscraper. Seriously... seriously.........

I'm still waiting for Nintendo to gives us all the retro tracks in a Mario Kart game.

I like that performing tricks gives you a boost, but the system is flawed. Actually, there is no system, since there's no skill involved. Performing different tricks in the air could've given you a longer boost or something and should have involved moving the wheel in different directions in the air, moving both the nunchuck and Wii remote, or buttons combinations for the GCN/classic controller.

R.O.B. isn't in the game. WHAT THE F*CK?

From my couple hours of game time, I find that MKW is a good, but unnecessarily flawed game. Many of the games flaws are just poor choices on the developers part.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 27, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
2 player Grand Prix is there. It's basically the normal vs mode. You can even make it a 32 race Grand Prix.

There IS 50 and 100cc for karts AND bikes, you unlock it by beating it normally.

Tricks basically make you seek out places to jump

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 27, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »
2 player Grand Prix is there. It's basically the normal vs mode. You can even make it a 32 race Grand Prix.
Kind of. I noticed that, but it's not really the same.
There IS 50 and 100cc for karts AND bikes, you unlock it by beating it normally.
Ah, good to know.
Tricks basically make you seek out places to jump
I understand that. I just think it's implemented poorly.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #599 on: April 28, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »
You know, Adrock? You have a point when you say that they should include all the classic MK tracks.

They should make a Mario Kart Masterpiece Collection, like Mario All-stars, and include EVERY track, EVERY character, EVERY item, EVERY kart and EVERY feature and mode ever put in a MK game.

I'm dreaming, of course, but it would kick so much ass if you could have bike vs. partner kart races in one of the classic tracks...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer