Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread  (Read 243677 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Wii Mega Thread
« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
Holy CRAP, they brought back the parking lot from Super Mario Kart! =O
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
Kairon, you are joking if any self-respecting F-Zero fan would pick that cheap substitute in place of legitimate F-Zero.
So if a game is from a third party it's instantly not as good as a Nintendo published offering. Third party games aren't "legit"? Try again nintard.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Kairon, you are joking if any self-respecting F-Zero fan would pick that cheap substitute in place of legitimate F-Zero.

How exactly would you lose self-respect by trying something new?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 15, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »

How exactly would you lose self-respect by trying something new?

No hardcore enough.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »
The Official Nintendo UK magazine mentioned that you can turn all items off in their review. I wonder if it's possible to customize which individual items appear like in Smash Bros? Having only blue shells would be hilarious.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Great prospects on our way.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
I just watched the Battle Mode video on IGN.  Red shells appear to behave more like they did in the original.  Thank goodness.  My interest has gone way up just from seeing that.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »
I've been reading some impressions and some of them say that the motion controls are questionable and that the GC controller is the best way to go.

I smell another Excite Truck...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
It'll probably take the Capcom/Camelot game "We Love Kart" to show Nintendo how motion controls are supposed to be done.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
I've been reading some impressions and some of them say that the motion controls are questionable and that the GC controller is the best way to go.

Where the controls were awesome, what's your point?

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »

is there anything made by Nintendo that you DON'T like?
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »

I'll be honest, I enjoyed my time with the virtual boy.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »
It'll probably take the Capcom/Camelot game "We Love Kart" to show Nintendo how motion controls are supposed to be done.

That or Hudson's Deca Sports, which has a kart racing mini game...

And Bill, my point is that people bitched up a storm about ET's controls, even though they were very responsive and rock solid.

If IGN's impressions are any indication some reviewers will whine about the motion controls and run towards the GC controller.

Mark my words...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »

Pikmin, Custom Robo, Dr. Mario, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, most Kirby games, F-Zero games not GX...There's others I can't think of off the top of my head, but they are there...So yeah, stop looking down your nose at me as if I say things without a reason but to be fanboyish...

(And sorry pap, my post was meant as sarcasm, but reading it now it's pretty snarky...)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:31:16 PM by Bill Aurion »

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
I think I might have been one of the only ones who had NO problem with the controls of either of the Need For Speed games on Wii.  If I could play and beat those and have no problems with Excite Truck, there's no damn way MK Wii should play bad with tilt controls.  I think the big issue here is that most game reviewers never "got it".  They make it all sound much harder and nonsensical than it really is.  I thought NFS ProStreet nailed it.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
I'm not sure about ProStreet, I didn't buy it because it looked ****, but all 4(?) of Carbon's control settings were spot on. EA really put thought into each catering for different play styles and whatnot, my favourite one was controlling the car with the nunchuck joystick and the wiimote and nunchuck acting as the pedal and handbrake.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
GT Pro Series also has amazing controls, and it's proper wheel controls like Mario Kart, held the same way, NOT tilt like Excite Truck with the remote facing up. If it can make a crap game fun it should be fine with Mario Kart.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »
If IGN's impressions are any indication some reviewers will whine about the motion controls and run towards the GC controller.

And if they whined about the motion controls and didn't have any other options, they'd do a lot worse than 7.9.  I fail to see how it's a bad thing to offer both, no matter how whiny some reviewers can be.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #343 on: March 18, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
I wonder if I can use my Logitech Wheel since GCN controllers are supported =O

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #344 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »
And the Mario Kart Wii whining continues!

The people at Go Nintendo are going nuts over this. Eurogamer just posted their review of the game and have some new details on the game's multiplayer modes. What people find shocking is this:
"However, Nintendo has made a couple of strange and quite damaging decisions in multiplayer. Battle Mode features some great new dynamic arenas for both classic Balloon Battle and a clever and entertaining variant called Coin Runners, where coins you pick up count as health. But it's only possible to play in red vs. blue team games; there's no free-for-all, which to our mind runs contrary to the true spirit of Battle Mode, that of the gleefully ruthless fracas. We were also bitterly disappointed to discover that you can't race through whole GP championships in multiplayer. Only one-off races are available. Hard-fought leaderboard battles with friends over four races have been our favourite way to play Mario Kart since 1993, and that loss will be keenly felt."

So long story short; there's no free-for-all in battle mode and GP has no multiplayer option.

Launching massive whine and complaints in 3...2...1
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #345 on: March 20, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 20, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »
Free-for all battles will be missed, though I've been playing MKDS Battle mode with a friend in teams a lot recently and it works well. As for lack of GP in multiplayer, MKDS gave you the option to set up Vs. matches as a series with the option of scoring by the same points system as GP and the option of filling in CPU players for racers that won't be human, so assuming that option is intact in MK Wii the only difference between it and GP is in name.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2008, 06:07:28 PM »
Yeah, this sounds like a fairly minor disappointment compared to, say, the entire game sucking in Double Dash. :)  Before the DS version brought bots into the picture, I only ever got to play one on one in battle mode, so that won't be any different.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »
I'm betting they are just too retarded to find the "play multiplayer GP" option. Anyway, they really like the Wii Wheel, why am I not surprised that part has been ignored.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:24:34 PM by Mario »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »

i'm with him. The only time i had trouble with controls was my first time playing the game (at work at the nintendo store and first time playing a Wii game no less) when the countdown gets to one and i used the d-pad to turn, or so i thought, and boosted off a cliff and felt like an idiot until my manager assured me i wasnt the first on staff to do that.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.