Author Topic: Eurogamer: SNES Mini is a thing, coming Holiday 2017  (Read 8678 times)

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Eurogamer: SNES Mini is a thing, coming Holiday 2017
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
While not a 100% accurate history, anyone who thinks Nintendo is trying to help scalpers or drive up demand by creating false shortages needs to go read David Sheff's Game Over - in particular, the chapter on the Game and Watch in the US and how Nintendo felt they got screwed by retailers on unsold units.

Really, anyone who wants to try and analyze anything Nintendo does should read this book.

I personally don't think they were trying to help scalpers or punish their consumers.

One possible outcome left Nintendo holding the bag on unsold units.

Another possible outcome had Nintendo leaving money on the table, a percentage of its customer base dissatisfied, and exposed its most loyal/obsessive fans to price gouging.

It seems Nintendo preferred to err towards leaving money on the table and its customer base assuming more risk in Nintendo's demand calculations. The value of the perceived risk Nintendo mitigated would be good evidence of how it views customers and prices loyalty.

Edit: Another scenario is that Nintendo had a specific revenue target, but that makes for even grimmer inferences from the perspective of a consumer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:44:38 PM by rygar »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »
The SNES-C, as I'm calling it, sounds like a good idea if true. Worth it just for Super Metroid and SMW2. If they somehow got SMRPG or even Earthbound on it, that would absolutely rule.

B-t-dubs: can someone tell me how to project consumer demand for a re-release of a product originally from the 1980s? Asking for a friend.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
By "friend" do you mean "Nintendo?"
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »
For me it doesn't matter. They burned my goodwill with the NES Mini fiasco. And this is a long line of issues trying to buy their merchandise as a fan. I will not be trying to get an SNES mini.

I let it pass with amiibo, as the effort to produce that many figures in such detail is understandable, and they seem to have production issues under control for the most part.

But so many other products are hard to find or sold out instantly. And when it happens for so long, blame falls on Nintendo. Limited editions sell out in seconds, yet scalpers seem to have unlimited copies (Majora's Mask 3DS, Fire Emblem). That is a gross miscalculation of demand.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 01:09:47 AM »
I was looking at the comments on an article regarding this rumor, and I know it's just nerds on the internet, but people were seemingly not receptive to this.  It seemed like shortages on the NES Classic Mini soured people on Nintendo as a whole.

Still, I think Nintendo could've checked the pulse on the reactions to this thing.  The cancellation just seemed like bad press.  They might've been better off re-releasing the thing than making a sequel.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
The more consumers not blindly devoted to the Nintendo cause, the better. The NES Mini was necessary to weed out the weak-minded filth that cannot deal with the difficult-yet-crucial struggle of being a Nintendo fan. I, for one, am glad to see the casual fans finally making an exodus.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »
I was looking at the comments on an article regarding this rumor, and I know it's just nerds on the internet, but people were seemingly not receptive to this.  It seemed like shortages on the NES Classic Mini soured people on Nintendo as a whole.

Still, I think Nintendo could've checked the pulse on the reactions to this thing.  The cancellation just seemed like bad press.  They might've been better off re-releasing the thing than making a sequel.

I'm sure a lot of people who feel burned by the NES Classic Edition will not desperately chase after this rumored SNES Classic Edition (and I don't blame them). I'm skeptical that they'll turn down 30 of the best SNES games (or however many it might be) with top-notch emulation if Nintendo gets it right and makes it easier to buy this time around though.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Prediction: SNES Classic Edition will also contain most, if not all, NES Classic games on it too, and will be compatible with NES Classic controller when  when you play those games.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
Prediction: SNES Classic Edition will also contain most, if not all, NES Classic games on it too, and will be compatible with NES Classic controller when  when you play those games.

I kinda hope not.  I'm okay with it having the games, but I hope it includes a new/different controller standard.  It is my understanding that the tech Nintendo licensed for the type of cable/communication in the Wii Remote Extention Port requires that the cable be limited in length.  When playing with the Wii remote, this isn't an issue - but those short NES cords are rediculous and thank God for unofficial third party cables.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 05:11:25 PM »

I'm sure a lot of people who feel burned by the NES Classic Edition will not desperately chase after this rumored SNES Classic Edition (and I don't blame them). I'm skeptical that they'll turn down 30 of the best SNES games (or however many it might be) with top-notch emulation if Nintendo gets it right and makes it easier to buy this time around though.

Yeah, I'm sure most people saying they won't support Nintendo again are just blowing smoke.  But announcing a cancellation while letting rumours fly of a follow up product is such bad publicity.  A re-release this holiday would've been so much better, to me at least.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 01:52:31 AM »
I could understand making it seasonal, as a number of items do that to decent effect. Though you aren't struggling to find one when they are IN season.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 07:01:56 AM »
I think Nintendo should have made seasonal releases of the NES classic for 2 years...but have the second one have different 3rd party games.  Then in 2 years release a SNES classic.