Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Box Art Deciphered  (Read 3026 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Box Art Deciphered
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »

What role do the goddesses play?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/27626

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's box art, which was revealed today, features something resembling a magic circle, behind Link and Phi. This circle contains three emblems, which may be familiar to Zelda players. These emblems appeared on the Goddess Pearls in The Wind Waker, as well as in Oracle of Ages where they represented tunes played on the Harp of Ages.

The intricate design also contains Hylian script. Translating to English results in the following, clockwise from the top left:

Wisdom, Nehru, Power, Din, (obscured), (obscured)rol

Clearly, it should be "Wisdom, Nayru, Power, Din, Courage, Farore," but I guess something got lost in localization. In any case, the names, symbols, and powers of the three Hylian goddesses, Nayru, Din, and Farore, are all emblazoned on the box art, implying some major significance in Skyward Sword.

The three goddesses were named in The Ocarina of Time as the creators of Hyrule, who left behind the Triforce upon their departure. Eiji Aonuma has stated that in Skyward Sword, prequel to The Ocarina of Time, "the Triforce sort of takes on a different meaning and plays a different role in the story." Nothing has been said about the goddesses, but it appears that they or their power will instead be a focal point, and perhaps this is partly what Aonuma was referring to.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Flipster

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Box Art Deciphered
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Interesting article, thanks : )

Offline frostybro24

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
maybe the tower of the gods from ww will make an appearance?
You got a small key! You're on your way!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
Skyward Sword will most likely take place before the three Godessess created Hyrul and the Trifirce. The story will most likely cover how, and possibly why, Link and Zelda have Triforces. Somehow Lord Ghirahim is related to the Triforce and Ganon, but it is too early to tell.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
 Maybe I’m just not accustomed to the “script”, but to me it looks distinctively like computer chip circuitry. My guess is the Phi is a spirit somehow associated with the Skyward Sword; which itself is some sort of technology. From what I’ve I heard, Phi speaks with a computer accent, and you can see from her text and syntax, that it’s techno-centric. This leads me to think the Skyward Sword is some sort of “foreign” technology; possibly created by the civilization is Skyloft. Or, maybe the technology aspect of medieval weaponry like swords and shields, is granted by Phi; since there seems to be a lack of such technology in the Master Sword (which is eventually “forged” form the Skyward Sword).  If you can hold your sword skyward, and power it up, and release that energy; that power would either have to be granted by either “magic” or some technology or spirit like Phi. Considering that Zelda is a priestess, and Ghirihim is a demon, I can only assume that this game centers around both supernatural and technological forces. This seems like a refreshing pace and interesting combination. But who knows, we’ll have to wait and see.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
 As well, possibly Phi and the Siren realm have some sort of connection considering both have a distinct blue tint to them. And the diamond motif from Ghirihim and Phi also draws certain acquaintances. I would assume the tears of light collection gameplay would have a strong justification if it’s included again amongst a game that is anticipated to have a high degree of differentiation (at least within Zelda titles).  Considering a lot of games are using the “revelation” perspective this season, Skyward Sword might as well be included.