Author Topic: Zelda DS Revealed  (Read 20696 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
RE:Zelda DS Revealed
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »
Someone should spank me, I've never completed a portable Zelda game... I feel so ashamed of myself. Then again I didn't (and still can't damn i suck at video games) complete the first two Zelda games.

I'm going to hang my head low all day until i buy all the portable Zelda's. Oh wait, I'll hang my head tomorrow I've got a concert to go to tonight, not that any of you care, but i'm telling you anyway.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2006, 03:55:49 PM »
MaryJane, just get, play, and beat the first Zelda for NES. As long as you've played that I think you have a good foundation of what Zelda is, even if you don't play any of the portable ones...

I think you can find it on your Zelda:WW Bonus disc?

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda DS Revealed
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2006, 04:03:06 PM »
Wrong Kairon, gotta play Link's Awakening.  You're not a true Zelda fan otherwise.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:51 PM »
Isn't Link's Awakening the one where he awakes at an island's shore and there's this egg at a mountain top or something like that? I didn't find it that special.

However my fave is Zelda II, which I know not many people are fond of but back then it was the first Zelda game I played and I enjoyed it sooooooo much, just as much as Dragon Quest, Faxanadu, and several others .

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2006, 06:05:11 PM »
So, like, anyone know where I can get a copy for cheap then?  

Cause, you know, emulation sucks.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Wrong Kairon, gotta play Link's Awakening.  You're not a true Zelda fan otherwise.

/cry But..but... I played Link's Awakening but got bored of it!

Seriously, I'm thinking that Zelda (NES) is the purest form of Zelda which a true fan could want to play in order to understand what's at the very core of Zelda, what lies at the heart of what Miyamoto was feeling as he discovered and explored those underground caves on those family picnics of his. It is the most raw and least translated experience of Zelda that their is, in my opinion. It is the original.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2006, 07:02:00 PM »
I don't think I can talk to you guys anymore.
Seriously, I guess it's technically okay that you disagree, but it was my greatest gaming experience to this date.  So yeah, I want other people to feel that, too.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »
TMW: If you mean Zelda 1 or 2, NES classic series for the GBA. If you mean Link's Awakening, well, you need to search through used games at stores and flea markets. Last time I've been to a flea market I've seen quite a few LA carts.

I didn't like Zelda 2 that much, the fact that dying sent you back to that first temple and the annoying combat made the game pretty much unbearable (worse than Metroid even). Zelda 1 is much better but it bears very little relation to the modern Zeldas, most importantly Zelda 1 is almost completely nonlinear and has no story sequences. You can do the dungeons in whatever order you see fit. Also Zelda 1 didn't have many item specific puzzles (in fact I don't think you needed any item for any of the puzzles), didn't even HAVE many puzzles. It has a strong decline towards the end as rooms in dungeons are repeated more and more. And once again progress is much harder to hold on to, you'll have to run through most of a dungeon again if you die at the end.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2006, 04:57:04 AM »
Zelda 1 is my favorite, easily.  It communicated the idea of a large, vast, magical world far better than any of the current iterations.  I still love the current ones, of course.  There was a dungeon in Wind Waker (Earth temple maybe?  It's been so long) that absolutely SCREAMED old school Zelda 1 inspiration.  I was floored at how amazingly nostalgic it was.

Everything else after 1 seemed so confined, which the exception of 2, which I (for a while) held as my favorite game ever, and I think it gets a harsher reputation than it deserves.  After several years and getting older, I realized 1 was the superior game, but 2 still holds a soft spot.  I think that everyone who hates 2 never finished it, either because they got bored or they couldn't.  It really held up very well and greatly expanded the overall universe of Zelda, whether anyone wants to admit to it or not.  

LTTP felt a little confining, even with the Dark World.  Link's Awakening I like, but I don't see the big monster attraction to it.  To me it felt like one of those games I played because I felt like I needed to.  It didn't leave a lasting impression at all.  

Haven't played the Orcale games or Minish Cap.

Ocarina is beautifully executed, and I think I might replay it soon on the GC.  Same with Majora.

There is a definite distinction between Zelda 1 and all the others.  I don't know if it is simply that Zelda 1 was the first one I played that causes it to have this lasting impression that it is larger than the other games, or if it really does feel, in a raw sense, larger.  I guess when you've got two areas that require you to navigate them precisely, hidden rooms in dungeons that don't even appear on the map, waterfalls to walk through, and a huge assortment of items, it leaves a big impact on a young kid.  It might honestly have to do with the fact that Zelda 1 is so open.  I think part of that was recreated with Wind Waker - I know I sailed around for a long time without doing anything worthwhile, which was terribly amusing.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2006, 08:30:18 AM »
I didn't get too far in either of them (four dungeons complete in Zelda 1, 2 temples in 2 IIRC) because I hate losing progress. Especially when it means having to do something (like that one tunniel in Zelda 2) over and over again. Maybe I would have tolerated that back when the NES was current but I don't tolerate it today. Zero nostalgic feelings for the NES Zeldas (or indeed any NES game), ddn't play them before the GBA rereleases. Maybe that's why I have such low tolerance of the flaws in many NES games (Metroid is trash), I don't have any nostalgia to enjoy instead of the game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2006, 08:36:15 AM »
I tend to drastically scale back my expectations to my "old-school" expectations whenever I play old games.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »
I meant LA.  I have the Collecters Edition disc.

Well, I live in a pretty low population area, so the chances of me finding one are pretty slim.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look, though,
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.