Author Topic: Wii Mini Has No SD Card Slot  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Mini Has No SD Card Slot
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »
Regarding the Macs, to be fair Apple has been gradually moving away from optical media and going digital only. Hell, a lot of PC manufactures are going digital only and are treating optical drives as a USB peripheral.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »
Apple is just about the only manufacture I have seen be stupid enought to remove the optical drive (other than in net books). There is no benefit to the consumers (and don't say cost, because Apple already overcharges for products, and they just keep the savings for themselves).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:42 PM »
Apple is just about the only manufacture I have seen be stupid enought to remove the optical drive (other than in net books). There is no benefit to the consumers (and don't say cost, because Apple already overcharges for products, and they just keep the savings for themselves).

I don't know, I can see an argument being made for why something like the Macbook Air may be better suited than a Pro for some people if they preferred something lighter and more portable than the Pro. 

And I'm not sure if "stupid" is an appropriate word to describe Apple.  You may be able to make that argument for some of their rabid fan base though :D .

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »
I can't remember the last time I used the optical drive on my MacBook Pro. Been thinking about taking it out and putting a second hard drive or SSD in the slot instead. I'd have no problem buying a new one that didn't have one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 11:34:09 PM »
I never use my disc drive either.

And UncleBob will probably get like 4 of these things.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05:31 AM »
You guys are really missing the point. Nintendo designed this to increase their profit margin for legacy Wii sales, not just now but for years to come. The people who will consider buying a Wii at this point don't care about the features being removed. Omitting components gives Nintendo flexibility to eventually lower the price even further to continue squeezing out sales from a very old platform. This tradition goes back to the mid-90s with the redesigns of NES, SNES, and even Genesis.

Perhaps, but I don't think either the NES or SNES redesigns took as much away functionally as this redesign. Is there a market for it? Probably, but at the moment it doesn't seem like that much of a plus.

By the way, does anyone know how much smaller it is? I've seen the pictures, but nothing side-by-side (might have to wait until it releases). The Wii's pretty small to begin with, so I'm not sure how "Mini" this will be.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:53 AM »
If they didn't remove GameCube support, this would be the cheapest way by far to play GameCube games in progressive scan. Thankfully my old Wii is still holding on for that though I worry it will break.

Re-purchase your Gamecube games off the future Wii U virtual console and you could get them upscaled to 1080p!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 01:01:15 AM »

Just one... maybe. :D

It *is* pretty awesome looking.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 01:53:25 AM »

Just one... maybe. :D

It *is* pretty awesome looking.

You say that until they come in blue.
and all black
and Mario Edition
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KlingonCola

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
What about through USB port? Can you connect external (SD) device?

Offline eggwolio

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »
No one has mentioned the biggest problem with having no SD slot.

How can ExciteTruck be properly appreciated without the custom soundtrack feature?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
What about through USB port? Can you connect external (SD) device?
It probably doesn't have USB ports either.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
No one has mentioned the biggest problem with having no SD slot.

How can ExciteTruck be properly appreciated without the custom soundtrack feature?

I actually thought of that but wasn't one of the first firmware updates for Wii one that prevented the custom soundtrack feature anyway? I haven't played the game in awhile so I can't confirm it myself.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »
The update took it out of the Photo Channel, but Excite Truck still reads .mp3 files.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
The update took it out of the Photo Channel, but Excite Truck still reads .mp3 files.

Oh thank goodness. I should load that up one soon. Too bad they didn't implement the feature in Excitebots..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
The MP3 playback is coded into the games themselves, it isn't a system feature, so it still works in Excite Truck and Endless Ocean. Which, sadly, I believe are the only two games to support it. I liked the feature and hoped it would return on the Wii U, but it would appear that Nintendo don't want to pay the licencing fees anymore.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
While talking about SD card functionality, you also lose the ability to take photos in Animal Crossing. Not a big deal, but something I actually used on several different occasions.

Custom soundtracks were awesome on Endless Ocean. I liked listening to Pink Floyd's Echoes while diving.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
Single USB port confirmed on the back of the Wii Mini.
Source:  http://www.gamefocus.ca/news/18651.html

Unclear what USB devices will/won't work.  I'm guessing that a USB network connection won't work (supporting hardware likely removed) and that USB SD card adapters won't be of any use either.

Looks interesting, but I just can't justify the asking price. If I could grab a system for about $70 then I'd nab one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »
Maybe USB is how Nintendo will allow you to transfer save data from the Wii Minus to the Wii U in the future. Since there's no Virtual Console or Wii Ware DRM and whatnot to worry about, transferring data can perhaps be handled this way.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
Maybe USB is how Nintendo will allow you to transfer save data from the Wii Minus to the Wii U in the future. Since there's no Virtual Console or Wii Ware DRM and whatnot to worry about, transferring data can perhaps be handled this way.

Maybe. But I suspect that Nintendo will just forgo data transfer of legacy game save files from this console entirely. How many people are going to notice? How many people are going to care? In both instances I'm willing to bet the number won't be significant.

There will be no digital purchases to worry about, no licenses to transfer to a new machine. If the Wii Mini console is targeted at people who are just buying a console now, then finding a way to copy save files to a brand new (expensive) console is an extremely low priority that probably won't be profitable.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
I can't help but feel that this is a lousy product for suckers.  With the Wii U being backwards compatible with the Wii, one really doesn't save money in the long run in buying a Wii stripped of features.  Yeah Nintendo released later versions of the NES and SNES but they were fully functional, the next gen did not play those same games and Nintendo continued to release a few new games for those systems after the next gen started while they didn't even make Wii games for the entire life of the Wii.  There are no new Wii games to play and you do not require an actual Wii to play Wii games.  I fear that part of the design here is to grab some impulse buys from late adopters who do not know that the Wii Mini is missing core functionality.  It isn't much of a deal if you know what's been stripped out.